Guest Idioteque

Share Your Matthew Good Collection!

Got another kappa windbreaker, I think that gets me to 2 kappa jackets, 3 kappa jerseys, 1 staff member a&b sound audio of being shirt, beautiful midnight flat poster, 2 copies of Avalanche on vinyl, I hear Matt good is a real asshole sticker, mgb sticker, mgb crest patch, Avalanche poster and probably more

Edited by finboy

My collection is no where near as good as most of you guys.

Let's see..

Old beat up Matthew Good Band football club hoodie purchased in 2001 just prior to band breakup.  I really wore it out.

Last of the Ghetto Astronauts CD

Raygun CD

UnderDogs CD (Bought twice because CD player in 4-runner wrecked my first copy) Strangest one of all skipped really bad.

Beautiful Midnight (Canadian version)  CD

Loser Anthems CD (There is a code on the side)

The Audio of Being (Black version with lyric book inside)

Avalanche CD (Limited edition with Member Card inside also signed in 2005 during Coma tour)

White Light Rock and Roll Review CD

In a Coma CD (DVD edition)

Hospital Music CD (Signed in 2007/2008 during Acoustic tour)

Lights of Endangered Species CD

Arrows of Desire CD

Chaotic Neutral CD

For some reason I never purchased Vancouver.  I think I was low income and trying to support a family at the time. I wasn't buying anything in those days.

Edited by Sly Botts

UnderDogs CD (Bought twice because CD player in 4-runner wrecked my first copy) Strangest one of all skipped really bad.

I have purchased Underdogs twice, as well.  In fact, I think I've purchased all of the MGB discs on more than one occasion.  I know that I have 3 copies of Beautiful Midnight kicking around, all in various states of beaten up. 

I lost my copies of Avalanche, Vancouver & Hospital Music in the divorce, so I only have e-copies at this point.  I'll have to re-buy.  It was totally worth it, though:  I traded it for some other MG merch that was originally my ex's.  I can re-buy the albums, but not the patch or the LOES stuff, for example. 

Got another kappa windbreaker, I think that gets me to 2 kappa jackets, 3 kappa jerseys, 1 staff member a&b sound audio of being shirt, beautiful midnight flat poster, 2 copies of Avalanche on vinyl, I hear Matt good is a real asshole sticker, mgb sticker, mgb crest patch, Avalanche poster and probably more

Where'd you get the jackets/jerseys? 

I've been dying to get those!

I have added some new stuff to my collection (she types gleefully!):

-Matthew Good cap (I generally hate being 'tagged' or 'branded' when I walk around, but I have made a stand:  I will go public with my affection for Matt's music--Almost immediately, I got people waving at me, smiling at me, giving me the thumbs up, etc:  definitely fun!)

-Chaotic Neutral Buttons

-Hospital Music Buttons

-Hospital Music bag

-VINYL! (I bought a record player, so that they are not sitting on my shelf collecting dust):

*Underdogs

*Beautiful Midnight

*Hospital Music

*Chaotic Neutral

FYI-I have made friends with the staff at the Ottawa St. Laurent HMV over the many years I have been going there.  The manager told me that he has too much vinyl to fit into their miniscule vinyl section, so I should ask him if I am looking for something that I can't see.  He actually went back and searched for 20min for Avalance, Arrows, LOES & Vancouver, because he didn't believe that they weren't readily available, lol! 

I have added some new stuff to my collection (she types gleefully!):

-Matthew Good cap (I generally hate being 'tagged' or 'branded' when I walk around, but I have made a stand:  I will go public with my affection for Matt's music--Almost immediately, I got people waving at me, smiling at me, giving me the thumbs up, etc:  definitely fun!)

I love those responses. That's awesome. I have never gone in public wearing Matthew Good merchandise or clothing. I've never seen a Matthew Good cap before. If he sold a cool cap down the road, I would probably buy it for running outside. Do you have a picture of your cap, by any chance? Is it an Avalanche cap?

I love those responses. That's awesome. I have never gone in public wearing Matthew Good merchandise or clothing. I've never seen a Matthew Good cap before. If he sold a cool cap down the road, I would probably buy it for running outside. Do you have a picture of your cap, by any chance? Is it an Avalanche cap?

It's a little military cap, in black. It's not an Avalanche cap, it just says Matthew Good across it.   I found it on the merchandise portion of his website: http://matthewgood.store-08.com/accessories/

I'm pretty obsessive about hats:  I wear them almost everywhere so I was pretty happy to find this one.  I also bought the Arrows of Desire scarf, as I am equally obsessed with scarves.  It's cotton & not terribly large so I didn't think it would be warm, but I am finding that it keeps me pretty toasty.  The print is quite feminine as well, which allows me to wear it at work throughout the day if I get cold (disclaimer:  my working environment is fairly casual.  I don't know if it would be appropriate for all working environments.  I wear leggings and tunics most days)

It's a little military cap, in black. It's not an Avalanche cap, it just says Matthew Good across it.   I found it on the merchandise portion of his website: http://matthewgood.store-08.com/accessories/

I'm pretty obsessive about hats:  I wear them almost everywhere so I was pretty happy to find this one. 

Hey, that cap is kinda of nice. It is subtle and not too in your face. Maybe I will buy that cap instead of a cap from Lululemon. It is probably cheaper that Lululemon too. Bonus. I need one for running outside. Maybe I'll wear that at one of my long distance running races this year. I hope it protects well from the sun. I wonder if it would get some kind of a response like yours.

haha. You're funny, Marcy.

Oh Man I just donated a Matthew Good ball cap to the thrift store because it didn't fit me. I wish I could have given it to one of you. I have the largest head in the world. I had a ribbed knit MGB toque when i was in high school that I also ended up donating to the thrift store. That one left impressions in the skin of my forehead because it was too tight. Not the sexiest look.

I wear Mart Good themed clothing all the time. Have since I was in school. I had MGB patches on my backpack too. I like showing my love and pride off! I have made friends and got laid by wearing this clothing. True story. And you can quote me, on the rare chance you read this Matt.

I feel you on the abnormally sized head! I have a toque from the Vancouver era that barely covers my hair.

I'm pretty obsessive about hats:  I wear them almost everywhere so I was pretty happy to find this one. 

It's me again, about the cap. Sooo... it sounds like you wear this Matthew Good cap quite a bit. Have you got any responses from people that are on the not so nice side? I've never worn music band "brands" in public before, because it's not my thing. I think it's about time that I make a stand, like you, after seeing that cap.  I too will go public with my affection for Matt's music, even if it's a one time thing. I think the MG cap will make its debut at a full marathon race in the spring. Usually people look at you, call out your name and cheer you on from the sidelines, so there is bound to be some kind of a response. I hope they are all good ones.

Edited by girl

Oh Man I just donated a Matthew Good ball cap to the thrift store because it didn't fit me. I wish I could have given it to one of you. I have the largest head in the world. I had a ribbed knit MGB toque when i was in high school that I also ended up donating to the thrift store. That one left impressions in the skin of my forehead because it was too tight. Not the sexiest look.

I wear Mart Good themed clothing all the time. Have since I was in school. I had MGB patches on my backpack too. I like showing my love and pride off! I have made friends and got laid by wearing this clothing. True story. And you can quote me, on the rare chance you read this Matt.

LOL!  That is hilarious, in particular because Matt is responsible for my ex-husband and I getting together.  My ex was hitting on me all night, and I wasn't having any of it, until he told me that he was a Matt Good fan.  I figured he deserved a second look (and perhaps a few more that same night):  this turned into a 13 year relationship.  When we told that story to Matt when we met him, his response was "Man, saying my own name doesn't even get me laid!"

It's me again, about the cap. Sooo... it sounds like you wear this Matthew Good cap quite a bit. Have you got any responses from people that are on the not so nice side? I've never worn music band "brands" in public before, because it's not my thing. I think it's about time that I make a stand, like you, after seeing that cap.  I too will go public with my affection for Matt's music, even if it's a one time thing. I think the MG cap will make its debut at a full marathon race in the spring. Usually people look at you, call out your name and cheer you on from the sidelines, so there is bound to be some kind of a response. I hope they are all good ones.

I do wear it quite a bit, though it's still new to me so that amounts to about 10 days at this point (I still have other hats in the 'rotation').  I have only gotten positive comments thus far, and will keep you posted if I get anything negative.

A couple of random thoughts: 

1-The worst (to my way of thinking) response that I get when I tell people that I am an uber fan of Matthew Good is "Matthew who?...as though anyone could happily exist on this earth without ever hearing his music ;)...ok, maybe I'm bias.

2-the road races I have run have featured happy, smiley people on the sidelines:  I've never heard a negative comment.  I can do a test for you, though.  I'll wear the hat when I run my 10k in May, and get back to you with the results. 

3-I think that it's awesome that you're considering wearing the cap in your marathon this summer!  While I can't guarantee that you'll get nothing but positive commentary, I hope that this will be your experience.  I was also nervous the first day that I wore it, so I hitched my shoulders back & walked tall.  I was very pleaseantly surprised by all of the positive feedback, and find that it lifts my spirits everytime.  If you wear it proud, the pride will likely show through more than any nervousness you're feeling. 

1-The worst (to my way of thinking) response that I get when I tell people that I am an uber fan of Matthew Good is "Matthew who?...as though anyone could happily exist on this earth without ever hearing his music ;)...ok, maybe I'm bias.

This scenario, which I have encountered many times, paradoxically both irks and fills me with joy.

It's irksome, because like yourself, how can you have existed on this earth without being impacted by his music, without hearing his voice, just once. I'll silently shake my fist at the music gods (record companies) that intentionally or otherwise screwed the pooch on marketing or promoting him....

But then it dawns on me that his fanbase is considerable. I see these people every year at sold out shows, and hear stories on here from people who have attended similar across the country. It's an insular community of sorts, but it also feels good to be able to experience his music without some of the other pretensions that come along with being fans of a certain artist. You're not a "little monster" or a "dead-head" or whatever; it's like you've got a fantastic secret that you'll only tell to people you care about because it's impacted you just that much. 

LOL!  That is hilarious, in particular because Matt is responsible for my ex-husband and I getting together.  My ex was hitting on me all night, and I wasn't having any of it, until he told me that he was a Matt Good fan.  I figured he deserved a second look (and perhaps a few more that same night):  this turned into a 13 year relationship.  When we told that story to Matt when we met him, his response was "Man, saying my own name doesn't even get me laid!"

lol. That's hilarious. Matt is a funny guy.

A couple of random thoughts: 

2-the road races I have run have featured happy, smiley people on the sidelines:  I've never heard a negative comment.  I can do a test for you, though.  I'll wear the hat when I run my 10k in May, and get back to you with the results. 

Yeah, most of the time when I talk to people about Matthew Good, they've never heard of him before. Maybe I will do a dry run and will try wearing it at a 1/2 marathon before the big one. I look forward to hearing the feedback you get in May.

3-I think that it's awesome that you're considering wearing the cap in your marathon this summer!  While I can't guarantee that you'll get nothing but positive commentary, I hope that this will be your experience.  I was also nervous the first day that I wore it, so I hitched my shoulders back & walked tall.  I was very pleaseantly surprised by all of the positive feedback, and find that it lifts my spirits everytime.  If you wear it proud, the pride will likely show through more than any nervousness you're feeling. 

I bought the cap last night. I was a little uneasy about buying it, because I don't want to be a walking advertisement. I kind of wish the words "Matthew Good" were a little smaller. Any average Joe on the street can read it from a distance. Oh well. I like what you said up there. That makes me feel better. It should be a piece of cake.

This scenario, which I have encountered many times, paradoxically both irks and fills me with joy.

It's irksome, because like yourself, how can you have existed on this earth without being impacted by his music, without hearing his voice, just once. I'll silently shake my fist at the music gods (record companies) that intentionally or otherwise screwed the pooch on marketing or promoting him....

But then it dawns on me that his fanbase is considerable. I see these people every year at sold out shows, and hear stories on here from people who have attended similar across the country. It's an insular community of sorts, but it also feels good to be able to experience his music without some of the other pretensions that come along with being fans of a certain artist. You're not a "little monster" or a "dead-head" or whatever; it's like you've got a fantastic secret that you'll only tell to people you care about because it's impacted you just that much. 

I love this thought, and completely agree that being a Matt Good fan is like having a fantastic secret:  and his music has impacted me so greatly that I shudder to think of who I might be were it not for the presence of his music in my life.

As an aside, I recently met another Matt Good fan who, when this topic came up, said that he wondered whether or not Matt's music would have the same feel & appeal were he to have hit it as big as he, at one point, seemed destined to do.  I pondered this for awhile after our conversation, and realised that he might be on to something.  Matt's music speaks to me, in large part, due to the fact that he has lived through much adversity in his life:  including, though not limited to, the manner in which his undiagnosed illness contributed to his fame trajectory.  I feel that these difficult moments have resulted in his abilty to connect with, and create music, of incredible depth, and sensitivity.  In a way, he lays his soul bare, each time he sings: even if the lyrics are not reflective of a specific moment in his life, the emotion in the music is very real, and to my ears, intensely personal.  I am drawn to his music for this reason.

...or maybe I'm way off base.  I'd love to hear thoughts on this one.

lol. That's hilarious. Matt is a funny guy.

Yeah, most of the time when I talk to people about Matthew Good, they've never heard of him before. Maybe I will do a dry run and will try wearing it at a 1/2 marathon before the big one. I look forward to hearing the feedback you get in May.

I bought the cap last night. I was a little uneasy about buying it, because I don't want to be a walking advertisement. I kind of wish the words "Matthew Good" were a little smaller. Any average Joe on the street can read it from a distance. Oh well. I like what you said up there. That makes me feel better. It should be a piece of cake.

I feel you!  I was super nervous too, and left my apartment with great trepidation.  I am so happy that I took the plunge:  you'll be in my thoughts as you test out your new cap!

I will make sure to let you know how the run goes, in particular, the response I get to "the hat"!

Have a great Friday everyone!!!

Uh oh. I guess I should have made it more clear. Teechip is a scam company. I think an asian guy in his 20's founded the Teechip company. Some people on the Bored informed me about it after I had bought the mug. I didn't do my research before purchasing it. I would never buy from them again. Check out all of the complaints: http://teechip.pissedconsumer.com/

They steal work from artists and sell the artists' creations without their permission. I ordered a black mug but received a mug that is a cross between maroon and brown. They claim they use DHL as the shipping company, but I don't buy it. It all looks fake to me. I don't think DHL takes 6 weeks to ship from the US.  I hope you receive your mug okay and it arrives in one piece. Let me know how it goes. Expect delays though.

My mug arrived today!  It is exactly the mug that I ordered, in blue, with the logo happily staring out at me  :)

It did take almost 3 weeks to arrive:  totally worth the wait!

The question now, is:  'to use, or not to use'?  Do I risk dropping it and breaking it by making it a regular part of my rotation, or let it collect dust in a display case somewhere?  Hmmm....this might be overly taxing for my mind at this time of the night.

I want to thank you for your care, and concern, Girl.  While everything turned out ok this time, the experience has reminded me to do my research before buying.  Thanks for having my back!

I don't know if this absolutely fits here, but I collected a Matt Good experience while on Salt Spring Island a couple of days ago.  I was wearing my Matthew Good hat, when the server at the coffee shop we were in noticed it and asked if I was a fan.  I said yes (my face may have demonstrated just how silly a question that was, lol) and he told me that he had worked as a sound engineer on Beautiful Midnight, specifically Hello Time Bomb.  My response?  "That's one of my 14 favourite Matt Good albums" (which has had me counting albums ever since)  He graciously laughed and accepted my gratitude for the work he did on the album which so changed my life, at which point he had to serve someone else. 

I can't verify he was legit, but it seems like a weird thing to lie about, lol!

I don't know if this absolutely fits here, but I collected a Matt Good experience while on Salt Spring Island a couple of days ago.  I was wearing my Matthew Good hat, when the server at the coffee shop we were in noticed it and asked if I was a fan.  I said yes (my face may have demonstrated just how silly a question that was, lol) and he told me that he had worked as a sound engineer on Beautiful Midnight, specifically Hello Time Bomb.  My response?  "That's one of my 14 favourite Matt Good albums" (which has had me counting albums ever since)  He graciously laughed and accepted my gratitude for the work he did on the album which so changed my life, at which point he had to serve someone else. 

Truth is stranger than fiction - kinda sad buddy is now working at the coffee shop after once being a sound engineer. Very cool interaction!

My mug arrived today!  It is exactly the mug that I ordered, in blue, with the logo happily staring out at me  :)

It did take almost 3 weeks to arrive:  totally worth the wait!

The question now, is:  'to use, or not to use'?  Do I risk dropping it and breaking it by making it a regular part of my rotation, or let it collect dust in a display case somewhere?  Hmmm....this might be overly taxing for my mind at this time of the night.

I want to thank you for your care, and concern, Girl.  While everything turned out ok this time, the experience has reminded me to do my research before buying.  Thanks for having my back!

Me too. It has reminded me of the importance of research. I'm glad you received it in one piece, and everything worked out okay.

My purple-ish/brown mug (which was supposed to be black) is on the shelf in my living room. It's nothing to write home about, and I would not consider it a prized possession. It looks like the work of a amateur from arts and crafts class. My overall impression of it is 'meh'. Oh well, better luck next time.

Small world. That's a cool story. Your cap sure is a conversation starter. :)  I will try mine later, over the next few months.

Edited by girl

Truth is stranger than fiction - kinda sad buddy is now working at the coffee shop after once being a sound engineer. Very cool interaction!

Y'know, I had the same thought cross my mind at first.  The thing is, though:  he looked really happy.  How many people do I pass by everyday; people with 'successful lives', that look downright crotchety and/or borderline depressed?  Maybe happiness should be our greatest measure of success.

Y'know, I had the same thought cross my mind at first.  The thing is, though:  he looked really happy.  How many people do I pass by everyday; people with 'successful lives', that look downright crotchety and/or borderline depressed?  Maybe happiness should be our greatest measure of success.

Haha, you speak an uncomfortable truth

Haha, you speak an uncomfortable truth

LOL! It's a strange, strange world we live in that it has to be an uncomfortable truth.

Me too. It has reminded me of the importance of research. I'm glad you received it in one piece, and everything worked out okay.

My purple-ish/brown mug (which was supposed to be black) is on the shelf in my living room. It's nothing to write home about, and I would not consider it a prized possession. It looks like the work of a amateur from arts and crafts class. My overall impression of it is 'meh'. Oh well, better luck next time.

Small world. That's a cool story. Your cap sure is a conversation starter. :)  I will try mine later, over the next few months.

I wish that your mug had come in looking pretty, despite the aggravation of the process.

I LOVE wearing my Matt Good cap for this reason.  I live in Ottawa, but am out on the west coast for 10 days and have worn it almost everywhere.  I am hoping for more stories before I head back east.  I'll keep you posted!

LOL! It's a strange, strange world we live in that it has to be an uncomfortable truth.

I wish that your mug had come in looking pretty, despite the aggravation of the process.

I LOVE wearing my Matt Good cap for this reason. I live in Ottawa, but am out on the west coast for 10 days and have worn it almost everywhere. I am hoping for more stories before I head back east. I'll keep you posted!

I wear my various Matt Good tees at Bridgehead all the time. Couple customers have commented on them in the past, but now our new aprons cover our shirts. I got to play chaotic neutral at work a couple times and one customer was like "hey! Is that the new Matt Good?" when I served him coffee.

At an open mic I played, I did my crowd pleasing "medley" which consists of 7 minutes of various popular radio and hip hop tunes etc over the same 4 chords. Gets eaten up everytime. People always come up to me after to comment on it and what not, but last time I played it afterwards a guy came up to me and was like "hey, that medley was great- however- I never thought I would get to hear Suburbia at an open mic. That's my favourite Matthew Good song. Thanks for playing that." Blew me away. Never thought Suburbia, my favourite MG tune would outshine the people pleasing medley. That made me so happy.