Guest Idioteque

Any Great Matthew Good Encounters?

Cool stories. You were invited on his tour bus? I sometimes wonder what it would look like on his tour bus. Was it a swanky tour bus? He must feel right at home on the bus, lounging around in his PJs watching movies or TV programs. haha.

That's awesome that he called you up on stage to get your vinyl signed. It sounds like you have a lot of great memories.

Typical bus...more than I could afford but nothing that looked too crazy. I think Mick Jagger's might be a bit more extravagant. 

I do miss the occasional tours. I am debating the Toronto or Hamilton show...I keep going back and forth. I have never been to a show in Canada and wasn't sure what to expect. I know when he played full band in Philadelphia, the set list was like 9 or 10 songs...I know that sounds kinda short but I have the setlist. I just cannot see driving seven hours each way for a medium-length show. His solo shows in Philly and NYC were almost 2 1/2 hours. Toronto is the most beautiful city I have ever been to...so...again I toss around the idea...

I see.

That's a tough one. Yeah, seven hours each way would be a little too much for me. Driving 1.5 hours each way to a Matt Good concert is my maximum. I hope you make it to one of his concerts this year.

Dude, just go all in. Hit up both Toronto shows and then catch the one in Hamilton too. That's justification enough for the long road trip.

The Ben Gibbard story is interesting. I've seen Death Cab quite a few times, and I caught the Postal Service and solo tour he did a few years back. More and more over the years he's tried to distance himself from celebrity culture. It's too bad it translated like that when you tried to meet him in Vancouver. I was lucky enough to meet him (holy shit, it's been almost 10 years now) after DCFC's Halloween show at Massey Hall in Toronto. A few of my friends stuck around and met the bassist Nick Harmer, who came out shortly after the show was done. There were a lot of people there and he was gracious enough to sign stuff for everybody. Very nice dude. It was a few hours after that Ben came out, and by that time there were only about 10 people still waiting. Again, he was really nice, took the time to talk to everybody and sign their stuff. There was one guy whose poster Ben refused to sign, because he immediately knew it was an ebay vulture. But all in all, he was very kind and didn't mind going through the motions. This was after Plans and before Narrow Stairs, so I'm sure a lot has changed in his life. He's divorced now, moved back home to WA, doesn't drink or smoke. Changed man, for sure.

As far as meeting Matt goes, I think I've met him like 8 times. Usually after shows near the bus for a quick hello/autograph/photo. The first 3 times I met him was back in the early 2000's, and that's when I was the most giddy, haha. Those were the times I was just really gushing and blabbing about how inspiring he was to me and all that stuff that we've probably all said to him at one point or another. But the most memorable time was after his Toronto show at the Phoenix for the IAC  tour. My friend had passed away earlier that month who was also a huge fan. I took the time to write him about it and let him know, and he actually put up a nice tribute to him on the homepage of his site. So when I got to meet Matt, I told him who I was and how thankful my friend's whole family and friends circle was that he took the time to honour the guy on his site. This was before social media, so it wasn't as common as things like that may be now. Anyways, he immediately knew who I was and what I was talking about, and just started asking me questions about my friend and how he passed (Unknown genetic illness). He said some really beautiful things to me, and I'll never forget about how quickly he allowed for our interaction to take priority over anything else at the moment, like his tour manager and hundreds of other people behind me lined up to meet him. He was more than willing to sign a couple things that I had brought, and just treated the whole situation with incredible respect.

So yeah, needless to say, it was the coolest thing ever, and even though I've met him quite a few times, it still stands as the best. One of the most interesting things that I'll add, is that after my friend's service, I started dating a mutual friend of his, and it's only because I got her attention by being the guy that emailed Matt Good about it. Long story short, that girl is my wife now, and we've been together for 10 years. So fuck yeah.

So when people tell me to get over Matthew Good and move on, it's not exactly that easy for me, haha  :colbert:

I enjoy reading all your stories.

So when people tell me to get over Matthew Good and move on, it's not exactly that easy for me, haha  :colbert:

I can't quit Matt. I tried before, but it didn't work.  :)

Edited by girl