AnOceanPearl

Okay Anton, You Were Right

Guest Idioteque

If the rare songs you listed don't make it on the new album, you should make an official E.P release if you're up to it.

Some of your greatest songs are the ones you put aside, like Hornets & For and Against, imo.

I don't think I need to hound you about how "Can't Get Shot In The Back If You Don't Run" deserved to be on a CD haha.

Hah oh yeah the guitar is total Police work haha, never realized. I think the demo from LOES you mentioned might be We Are A Place, it was one of the better unreleased songs you've made.

Edited by IamNick

That's awesome. I only just discovered that massive collection of your unreleased demos, and I have to say that some are incredible. I don't think I have heard Bad Pennies, but Hornets is great. My favourites are probably For And Against the Same Thing, A Short Time on Earth, and We Are a Place (the LOES demo you mentioned). I also just recently listed to All Together for the first time, and it might be the most beautiful song you ever recorded. It has such a bittersweet sound.

Anyway, glad to hear the news that you're revisiting a few old demos!

Edited by RileyLewis

Really cool to hear as an artist you sometimes go back and look at older stuff like that to see what can be done to it. Some of the Demos left off I understand why they were and I'm not infatuated with, but others are some of my favourite songs, things like Dusk, Can't get shot in the back and All Together would all probably be in my favourite 10 MG/MGB songs. Having them on an album would be awesome, hearing them live even better!

Hah, awesome thread.

I listen to Bad Pennies a lot when I go running. It would be unreal if some iteration of it were to see the light of day in the studio.

Also I like the idea of pulling out some old demos and putting a new shine on them. Something outta nothing.

Edited by Gomo

I feel like the set of demos previewed before Lights of Endangered Species mesh well with a lot of what we're hearing from this new set. Hornets, For and Against, Die Like Kings/A Short Time on Earth, We Are a Place, and All You Sons and Daughters make sense next to these ones. Even some of the older demos, such as The Lone Gunman feel right in this context. Man, there is a lot of potential in those. Refining any of these songs and preparing them for this next collection makes me very excited.

the chorus of bad pennies is good too. i mean, maybe the words aren't your favourite, but melodically, i wouldn't change it. the song has great momentum and is pretty much structurally perfect as is. don't be afraid of accessibility and immediacy. it's one of your greatest strengths. but it also seems (seemed) to freak you out.

Guest Idioteque

Completely agree, everything about "For and Against" tells a dark, impactful story.

I would speed it up just a tiny hair, but everything about that song is perfect and doesn't need to be rewritten at all, just tweaked.

Covering A Girl in the War would be pretty sweet.

There's definitely a lot of "lost" LOES demos that should be put on record one day. I know "There is a Place" became "Non Populus" (which is probably my favourite song of yours ever) but that one is definitely one that I love, Hornets, obviously and For and Against. A Short Time on Earth I like too.

It would be nice if some day you'd do something with the music to Homecoming and that demo you worked on during the Vancouver demos sessions:

. Musically speaking, those could have fit on Arrows as wel (especially the second one).

If this next record is reminicent of LOES then I'm all for it! :)

Edited by Tips

I'm not surprised if Bad Pennies wouldn't fit, plus the song is great the way it is.

That demo you linked Tips would have probably fit well on Arrows and I really like it. It has quite a different vibe for Matt in parts. He should revisit that one.

Matt: Please tell me you're recording Night Orders for the new album. That song is awesome and has some of my favourite things about your music. I think it's definitely the best demo or tied with another as the best demo you've released for this one. It really reminds me of your Vancouver album.

• Upvote 1

Guest Idioteque

Have you ever thought about building a proper home studio for albums? Considering the quality you've been releasing with demos they're pretty good even without proper mixing or mastering, with the help of Warne I'm sure you could make an Iphone recording sound like a million bucks.

Financially it would suck trying to build but you'd have the benefit of working your own hours and doing as many song's as you'd like while also making albums for the next 10 years if you so choose. Plus if you ever decided to produce for other artists, you have your own operation going.

Is there a real benefit to recording studios in 2014 that you couldn't just get with equipment you can find around your house? Seeing how far audio software has gotten with Pro Tools/Logic and a pretty solid Apple computer.

Noob question but im curious what your take on it is since you've spent most of your life in studios making magic. :)

Edited by Idioteque

Guest Idioteque

Lol I'm well aware of what is in studios and how they work/benefits, but bands are beginning to now find cheaper ways to release music at the same quality. A few decades ago you literally needed an Orchestra if you wanted an Orchestra. Now you can get away with software and a keyboard, or a drummer program that sounds exactly like a real life drum kit.

I do agree he probably wants to separate work & home.

I have a really cool photo to share with you all if I can find the bloody thing, brb.

Edited by Idioteque

All You Sons And Daughters, however, totally fits the vibe of the album, and that’s what I’ve been working on. My only major stumbling block right now is that I have absolutely no idea what the guitars in the chorus are doing. They provide a counter movement to the bass part that’s pretty important and it’s all such a soup that it’s impossible to make out. I can obviously write something else, but whatever is going on there works so well that it would be a shame.

That is awesome news! I always thought that one would make a great opener for some reason. I hope you figure out the guitar part. Have you looked at For and Against for this record yet? Oh, and of course, nobody has mentioned Life In Spite of Itself. If you're looking back, you have so many options!

Edited by NonPopulus

Guest Idioteque

So choked, I don't know how the f*ck I have 0 photos of them anymore.

But I had photos of certified gold & platinum "Underdogs" & "Beautiful Midnight" plaques from when I was in Greenhouse Studios.
I took great pleasure in knowing the upstairs lounge room was where Matt wrote Rico. Haha :P