Moonlight_Graham

Favorite "his Band" Member?

Since the breakup of Matthew Good Band, Matt has used a variety of musicians in his solo career both on tour and in studio to play various vital instruments such as drums, bass, lead guitar, keyboards etc.  At various point in Matt's solo career, this backup bunch has been billed as "His Band" on his tours, ie: the poster below:

MatthewGoodandHisBand.jpg

So who is your favorite member of "His Band" over the years?  (Let's just assume any musician that has played live on tour with Matt since his 1st solo tour (Avalanche) is a member of "His Band", whether officially billed as "His Band" or not).

Ryan Dahle, I wish he worked with him more! And by more I mean all the time and in a production combo with Warne Livesy! I thought Christian Thor Valdson was superb as well, although Dave Genn is simply an unreasonably good guitar player. The lead guitar player in my band and I just love his playing. We can both hum the entire change of season solo out loud! Hahaha.

And of course Geoff Lloyd!!! What a great, groovy bass player...the 20th anniversary of LOTGA wouldn't mean a thing to me if it wasn't for that bass. She's Got A New Disguise, Radio Bomb and Symbolistic White Walls are prime examples of why he was the man. Myself and my friend played along to that whole album on bass start to finish all the time, hahaha. We would take turns playing along to it blasting it with his bass amp! R.I.P Geoff Lloyd...

Yes, THE MAN, Ryan Dahle.  They should have expanded on those joke songs they did and made a whole album.  Seriously Serious is a very interesting track musically.  Or work together more in general.

Christian Thor Valdsen stands out to me if I had to pick one.  I quite like Milos bass playing too.

Edit: You work with Dave Genn MAN?

Edited by Manchalivin

Yes it was Ryan Dahle who played on Big City Life and Oh Be Joyful!

As far as I'm concerned, although Dave Genn was a great guitarist, he certainly wasn't the best one. Stu was the best for me.

I liked Stu the most out of all the guitarists. Jimmy is good as well, I just think he's not quite on the same level.

Again, like someone else said, it's not like he's had a bad musician out there with him.

Stu was absolutely brilliant on guitar. The Vancouver tour has been my favourite one so far because of him. The guitar solo in the live version Empty's Theme Park is one of my most memorable moments of his.

That tour is what did it for me too.  The live versions of Great Whales and Blue Skies were incredible.

I really can't decide. All the different combinations of the bands have brought really great and different things to the songs. The Hospital Music and Vancouver tours were tight as hell because Stu, Blake, and Milos are great session guys, but I really enjoy the current band. Jimmy takes the control out of the songs, and I like that. The LOES shows were great too. It reminded me of how much I missed Ian.

Can't forget Pat and Christian though. He was such an interesting guitar player. Put an awesome spin on the MGB and early MG stuff.

The best was when he still had Priske and added Thor Valdensen (sp?).  They were redoing old songs just enough and they were fabulous. I'm pretty sure that they were the Avalanche band.  Hello Timebomb with the new ending, Symbolistic White Walls with the new verse.  I want to say that Suburbia or Under the Influence also had an extra verse and some cool guitar work.  Plus they seemed to add a couple more solos and stuff to his work and just rocked. I wish they reworked some of the older songs more often.  That version of SWW's to me is almost definitive.  It was so good. 

Another tidbit is that I seem to remember people talking about a rock n roll version of Running For Home that they did during a sound check or two but never got brought out on any shows.  I would have loved to have heard that too.

Edited by crthiel