juanpe

New Single: "all You Sons And Daughters"

Guest Idioteque

I agree. Does he not give a fuck about melodies or interesting guitar riffs anymore? Or radio play? So weird.

Which songs are you listening to? His new stuff has alot of interesting guitar work & melodies.

I agree. Does he not give a fuck about melodies or interesting guitar riffs anymore? Or radio play? So weird.

I don't get this at all.  Especially after his last album was Arrows of Desire which was full of radio friendly, interesting tunes and melody.  And the new single is very radio friendly.  I don't find it to be a standout of his at all but it is a good choice for radio I think.

• Upvote 1

I agree that the song isn't spectacular but it's OK.

That being said, no he doesn't care about radio play and never really did. He's not a "I have to write this song so it'll be radio friendly". He just writes songs.

But there's a nice melody on that song and the rhythm is mainly done with guitar riffs. But Hornets would have been a better choice IMO.

Matt manages to turn out a few corkers during every cycle but he's been using more and more meandering, unmemorable melodies since Hospital Music. i think the guy has a real gift for catchy music, but for whatever reason tends to want to downplay it. Arrows was a step in the right direction for me. i'd love for him to combine that immediacy with his more experimental music. i guess i do like Sons & Daughters enough, but i'm surprised it got first release over something like No Liars. 

Matt,

Do you feel that the reason arrows didn't do as well as LOES  is the fact that less and less people are buying physical cd's  and are just downloading albums?   I loved both albums but when I play anything from Arrows in my car it immediately gets the response "who is this" or "This is really great"    I think it appeals more to the casual listener than the die hard fan  if that makes any sense.

The music industry is also getting much more fragmented. Gone are the days when the majority of the population listens to the radio. And even radio now is much more tightly focused with less local variation in the large stations. I almost exclusively use Spotify now, so I have little exposure to new music from major labels. It's creating a self-reinforcing cycle, I think, where you get suggested new music based on what you already like, so you get put into a segregated community of like-minded listeners. There are pros and cons to this. The pro is that it's much easier for smaller bands and singers to get music out there, provided they can get a viral following going in a segment of the listening audience. Also it's much easier to find similar music to what you like based on the aggregate listening habits of like-minded people. The con is that there is little incentive or opportunity to discover new music outside your comfort zone.

Now to be fair, most people tended to already stick with the music they liked in their teens and twenties anyway (as studies have shown), but it's still nice to find a new band to latch on to every once in a while.

Basically, no young people listen to the radio any more and just get new music from what their friends are already listening to based on youtube viral hits or internet radio/playlists that other people have aggregated based on similar listening habits.

So people who like Matt's music will continue buying (though the audience will slowly shrink has inevitably you lose some fans with each new record if they don't like the style), but it would be very hard for him to find new fans based on the new evolving model of music distribution.

Edited by RileyLewis

Do street teams staple artist/band posters on bulletin boards and light posts all over town? They do it like crazy along 17th Avenue downtown. I don't mind it. I like to see what's out there once and a while and see who's playing in town. It looks kind of messy though.

This new single is a solid, catchy tune, but nothing I'm quite blown away with. Reminds me of the catchy tunes Matt had in plenty on the Arrows and Vancouver albums.

I think Arrows of Desire was a good record with quite a few really good songs. It just wasn't an amazing record. It didn't push a lot of boundaries, like something like Lights of Endangered Species or Avalanche did, or even Hospital Music (this one thematically and lyrically speaking).

Edited by Crusader
Keeping thread on topic

Guest Idioteque

The Bored got a small shoutout. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r-OvPhnJ80s

There's so many great tracks on this new album I'm a bit confused why there's so much hype/advertising for just 1 track, with pre order soon wouldn't 2 or 3 teaser songs be better?

Im sure the music video for "All You Sons And Daughters" will blow up when it's released, but if he got away with walking to a gig on "Had It Coming" I think a music video of him on a old stage with a suit and a smoke dangling from his mouth singing "Los Alamos" would get a positive response as well. Or at least lyric videos again.

Just a thought.

There's so many great tracks on this new album I'm a bit confused why there's so much hype/advertising for just 1 track, with pre order soon wouldn't 2 or 3 teaser songs be better?

Im sure the music video for "All You Sons And Daughters" will blow up when it's released, but if he got away with walking to a gig on "Had It Coming" I think a music video of him on a old stage with a suit and a smoke dangling from his mouth singing "Los Alamos" would get a positive response as well. Or at least lyric videos again.

Just a thought.

I agree with you on 2 or 3 teaser songs. There is too much waiting before the new album. I did enjoy watching the lyric videos for Arrows of Desire.

Yeah, I like the 'Los Alamos' music video idea. Just him and his guitar, sitting on a chair on an empty stage in a small lounge or pub somewhere.

Edited by girl

I wrote down the chords for this song, hope you like it.

J

Matthew Good

ALL YOU SONS AND DAUGHTERS

1/2 step down tuning

D= open lower e string: 

E--0---

B--3---

G--2---

D--0---

A--0---

E--0---

Intro

F#m, E, D x2

A,

Netted dolphin in the deep

F#m

little coyote, shame on me

E

new horizon, no memory

D                                                            A

didn’t know it then but I want to know it now

A

it’s time to get up

F#m                                 E

rub your eyes and set off into the sun

D

you know we don’t get enough around here

Chorus           

Bm,    F#m,                                   A,    E,                D

All you sons and daughters gotta hide yourselves away

Bm          F#m                          A      E                D

before they burn it out of you, hide yourselves away

Bm,  A,           D

gotta hide yourselves away

F#m, E, D

A

Used to call me late at night

F#m

locked in your car trying to hide

E

from one disaster to one in line

D                                                                    A

didn’t know it then, shouldn’t have to know it now

A

it’s time to wake up

F#m                                 E

rub your eyes and set off into the sun

D

you know we don’t get enough around here

Chorus

Bm,     F#m,                                  A,     E,              D

All you sons and daughters gotta hide yourselves away

Bm            F#m                        A     E               D

before they burn it out of you, hide yourselves away

Bm,  A,           D

gotta hide yourselves away

Guest Idioteque

I've been playing guitar for more than 7 years at this point, yet I've never bothered to learn chords lol.

Edited by Idioteque

Matt manages to turn out a few corkers during every cycle but he's been using more and more meandering, unmemorable melodies since Hospital Music. i think the guy has a real gift for catchy music, but for whatever reason tends to want to downplay it. Arrows was a step in the right direction for me.

I have to admit I am of the same opinion as this person. However I think it's most likely because *I* have changed my tastes in music as I've aged and had life experiences. Despite this, I still always get a little excited when a new album is coming because I always love to hear his new stuff. Although after Coma, the excitement has been less and less every time.  Nothing personal against Matt though,  his music is still good, but it's just changed in a way that it doesn't move me like it used to and that happens to people right?  Doesn't make the music itself bad or any less for anyone else, and I don't say this to take anything away from him as an artist.

I watched an interview with Dallas Green (City and Colour) from when he was recording one of his recent albums, where he basically says the same thing about fans with regards to *his* music, and how he understands that kind of thing.  I would assume Matt is most likely a cultured enough person to understand that as well, or doesn't really care what people think, one way or the other.  I guess you kind of have to be that way in order to keep on.

For some reason, I have developed a fondness for 70's music (sans Disco) and have decided it was the best decade ever for music.

*Note to admin*:  This forum does not seem to like Microsoft Edge.

Edited by Sly Botts