Crusader

Chaotic Neutral 2015/2016 Tour Dates

Anyone have any idea about merchandise costs and payment options?

I know shirts are $30, hoodie is $60, the CN CD is $15, poster is $20 and I think I saw a button pack for $5 or $10. Scarves and toques are $35 and $30, respectively. There's a couple of photos of the merch booth floating online, which is where I got the prices from. I assume there is a debit/credit card machine as a second payment option to cash.

Edited by jackwork

I honestly enjoyed Scott Helman.  He's a really talented kid, good performer, seems really grounded.  I've been hearing Bungalow on the radio since January and I've always liked the song.  Yes, his music does have some pretty heavy pop leanings, but there's nothing wrong with that as long as it's coming from a genuine place, which I think it does in his case.  I think people might be pleasantly surprised if they watch him play live.

I always make sure to show up for the opening act at shows.  You've already bought the ticket, may as well check out the opening act if you don't have anything else going on, it's a good opportunity to see an act play live that you wouldn't otherwise.  It's kind of like going a festival, you may have bought the ticket to see a specific act(s), but you're still going to check out others that are playing.  I guess I'm just a fan of live music though.

Edited by Curtster

I've been thinking, when it comes to 2/3 night shows back to back like Vancouver & Toronto. Are the extra shows looked at as "These are people who couldn't get into the previous shows so they want more singles" or "These are hardcore fans doing multiple nights and want the more rare stuff". I'm sure it's close to 50/50 but I'm curious how Matt goes about writing a setlist for multiple shows or what you guys consider them to mean.

That's why I always love back to back shows for bands like The Tragically Hip or Matthew Good because I know they will constantly change their setlist for any show. I know plenty of bands that will stick with the same setlist for an entire tour & I can understand how that makes life easier I can also see how it kills wanting to follow a band around.

I always went to the back to back shows in Calgary. Each show was totally different from the other. Matt and the band are good like that, and they don't disappoint. Whatever song was missed from the first show was usually played on the next night. Yeah, you're right. The Tragically Hip are like that too. They are THE ultimate masters of creating set lists. They have so much song variation from one concert to the next. I wonder how Matt and the band determine the set list each night too.

Last night was my 11th Matthew Good show, and I think it was among the best I've ever seen. My girlfriend, sister, and I were front and center.

When Matt crouched to sing Army of Lions and especially Girls in Black, it was a really special experience, because he was right between my girlfriend and I. He also walked into the audience and stood on the section divider to finish off the latter.

Load Me Up wasn't on the setlist posted on Instagram, but they played it nestled amongst Hello Time Bomb and Alert Status Red. For the first time after years of standing in the front row, I got a setlist too!

The energy was high from Everything is Automatic to the end, and I'm thinking he was making and attempt to raise the energy when they played the three classics in the middle of the set.

Los Alamos and Girls in Black were the definite standouts for me. Los Alamos was super atmospheric and sounded spectacular with the third hollowbody guitar being strummed.

All in all it was right up there with the LOES show I saw in Edmonton.

Edited by NonPopulus

Well, there was a guy in the audience calling for Load Me Up, and after they played it Matt asked, "have you moved on to another song?"

The crowd was pretty docile until Everything is Automatic. From what I could tell, everyone was seated. There were no hecklers and Matt seemed to be in a really good mood.

Yeah, Actually the calling out for songs was fairly minimal compared to Victoria.  I would say I only heard a few including the Load Me Up one that was mentioned.  Sometimes you get people yelling the same damn song in every pause in the action, if he didn't respond the first time, It's doubtful hes going to on the 12th.  As for crowds standing, I think alot more people would, I know for sure I would, But it drives me nuts being told to sit down all show long, once (not at a Matt show) a guy was holloring at me that he didn't pay $50 bucks to look at some dudes ass all night, and then tried to physically sit me down, I would stand the whole damn show, and much prefer that, But hate the bullshit abuse you take from those behind you about it, so usually I find myself waiting for others to get to their feet, sounds lame, I know, But its just not worth the shit you take for it.  I wish like hell Matt played more GA floor shows, then you can do whatever the hell, if you wanna sit, sit further back, if you wanna be close, you stand.  Nothing drives me more insane than some perfectly healthy 25 year old in the second row yelling at me I'm ruining his concert cause I'm standing and enjoying myself.  

Guest Idioteque

The most insane thing I've read from a fan of the opening act.

"Scott Helman you blew the roof off of the place. Your performance this evening moved me to tears. Good luck to the poor guy who has to follow this."

Really? REALLY? How rude.

I'm glad Matt is giving Scott Helman a chance for exposure to a different crowd (and vice versa for Matt to a lesser extent, I guess.) However, to me, Scott Helman is just more of the same old same old acoustic-driven pop rock, and some of his lyrics are just inane. "Circuits freeze and androids never dream. You're more than a machine." Cool, man. Very deep. I just don't know how I feel being pontificated to by a 20 year old between songs. Can anyone comment on the in-between song banter from the opening act?

Edited by NonPopulus

haha I get your point NonPopulus...I laughed a little when he said about how much breaking up sucks and then introduced his next song as cry,cry,cry haha, But I thought it was a little refreshing to hear someone so young talk about, maybe putting their cellphones down and having a real conversation or two.  In fairness back in the mid 90's when Matt sang "I'm tired of blood and over priced bubble gum, mom"  Some Who fans might have thought who is this 25 year old punk and what is with these cheesy lyrics too.  How many of us 10,15,20 years later still feel the same we did and are proud of things we did or how we acted at that time.  Matt consistently has strong openers, sure maybe Scott Helman seems immature to an older crowd, But just about every artist probably did to someone older at one point or another. I figure I'll give the kid my support, maybe he has the potential to become something that someday will be more appealing to me, if not, well it's just half hour out of my life.   Its not a fair comparison, But the Rolling Stones of 1962 were a totally different thing by 1969.  

Edited by adam_777

I'm not just talking about that one line. It's a mentality and a mindset. I guess seeing the world through the lens of those songs just isn't something I can relate to. I know Matt used to write the occasional clunker of a line back in the day, which he even denigrates himself for. To me, even Symbolistc White Walls is a more advanced and nuanced take on the world.

His story about this Machine song was something along the lines of "we were in a bar talking about the current state of the world and our lives and then everyone starting tweeting and left feeling worse than before." Ok? So... We're more than machines? We're unique? We're all special? Constant use of smart phones and not interacting face to face is bad?

I'm just missing what's so heart-wrenching and profound here.

Anyways, Matt was in top form last night and I wish success to Scott Helman. If you can make it in the world of music, then all the power to you. If you like it, all the power to you.

I'm just not one for the profundity of high school poetry slams. That's how it kind of comes off.

Edited by NonPopulus

This discussion is making me really insecure about my own lyrics which I thought I was being clever as f***ck haha.... shame :(

They probably are! Some anonymous person commenting about Scott Helman shouldn't stop you from doing what you love and writing what you feel.

Charles Bulowski used very plain language and was crass, but to me, he was still profound in a way, because he lived. Do you know what I mean?

If I don't like a song because I don't feel it, it doesn't mean I think the artist should give up and never try again.

If Scott Helman is enjoying and feeling his music and it touches someone in a way that say, Hospital Music touched me, then that's fantastic!

Edited by NonPopulus

Trufflepig, 

yeah, I think the most important thing with writing lyrics is not caring what others think about it.  If it means something to you write it, No matter what you write there are people who would criticize it.  You're a fan of Matt and his lyrics or you wouldn't be here, But plenty of people aren't into that and obviously we're all pretty glad he keeps writing the stuff he does.  So if you like it, if it means something to you than there is no shame in it.  

NonPopulus, have you been to other shows at the Port Theatre? Just wondering your thoughts on the venue.  I find the sound is usually really solid, But something about its set up and atmosphere seems to cater to a more mellow crowd.  I can't put my finger on it exactly, But ever show I've seen there has been the same sort of deal.  

haha I get your point NonPopulus...I laughed a little when he said about how much breaking up sucks and then introduced his next song as cry,cry,cry haha, But I thought it was a little refreshing to hear someone so young talk about, maybe putting their cellphones down and having a real conversation or two.[/size]

Haha. Agreed on both points.

Edited by NonPopulus

Haha. You guys. I guess I better come early to see the opening act. I've never seen a teenage singer-songwriter before, who caters to the younger generation. This should be interesting.

If Matt ever gets some time between tours he should tab out all/most/some of his songs.  I'd pay good money for a big guitar tab book like that, it's pretty much impossible to find good MG/MBG tabs on the internet except for the big hits, even http://www.mgtabarchive.com/ is very hit-and-miss, and hasn't been updated in forever.  Would be awesome to buy a Chaotic Neutral tab book at the merch booth.  As a bonus it would be a good reference for him so he doesn't have to figure out how to play old songs again before every tour haha.

If Matt ever gets some time between tours he should tab out all/most/some of his songs.  I'd pay good money for a big guitar tab book like that, it's pretty much impossible to find good MG/MBG tabs on the internet except for the big hits, even http://www.mgtabarchive.com/ is very hit-and-miss, and hasn't been updated in forever.  Would be awesome to buy a Chaotic Neutral tab book at the merch booth.  As a bonus it would be a good reference for him so he doesn't have to figure out how to play old songs again before every tour haha.

I'd love a "Boy Who Could Explode" tab....one of my most favourite songs, especially live.

NonPopulus, have you been to other shows at the Port Theatre? Just wondering your thoughts on the venue. I find the sound is usually really solid, But something about its set up and atmosphere seems to cater to a more mellow crowd. I can't put my finger on it exactly, But ever show I've seen there has been the same sort of deal.

This is my second show at the Port Theatre. I've seen MG in different locations across Canada and a lot of venues he or his management choose to utilize for tours are not so much rock venues. The size of venue he requires usually mandates these small multi-use seated theatres with an elderly staff of volunteers, quaint wine bar, etc. The only time I've seen him in indoor GA environments have been acoustic shows and once at The Ranch in Edmonton, which was pretty loud and energetic. I think a lot of donors and founders of these little theaters are fans of the "fine arts," like stage plays, ensemble music, etc, so that's what they're really geared towards. Nanaimo this time around was amazing though. Great energy, great acoustics. Edited by NonPopulus

If people would be well-behaved like me, maybe Matt would give them a shout out at a show, too. ;)

If you don't mind me asking, how did this shout out come to be? I remember you mentioned that he gave you a shout out at your last Matthew Good concert. Are you and Matt good buds?

Edited by girl