Crusader

Chaotic Neutral 2015/2016 Tour Dates

Well the 12 string made an appearance...on the guitar rack haha...no Champions. Great show nonetheless though!

When I've seen him play Champions of Nothing, he's used an electric every time for full band performances. However, in Edmonton, he used the twelve string for Omissions of the Omen in the VIP acoustic set.

Setlist - London - 12/15/15

London Music Hall

Load Carmelina Up

Sons & Daughters

No Liars

Cold Water

Army of Lions

Everything is Automatic

Alert Status Red

A Single Explosion

Born Losers

Kid Down the Well

Los Alamos

Apparitions

Weapon

Cloudbusting

Advertising on Police Cars

Hello Time Bomb

Giant

Man, what a show.  It had been four years since he had been back, and last night made me miss him more than I thought.  No offence to other versions of his touring band, but I think this was the tightest they've ever sounded behind him.  Stu is incredible, and Bones was entertaining.  It would have been nice to have Anthony and some keyboard, but it was a solid rock show.  

Matt seemed to be in a pretty good mood.  He commented on how this venue sounded way better to him just being on stage than the venue they've used in the past.  He talked about going into the crowd, because he doesn't know what else to do on stage with a microphone in his hand, but it was too gymnastic to do it tonight.  He sat down on the stage right in front to sing part of Army of Lions.  There was an "energetic" woman right front and centre who was jumping around the whole show.  He sat down right in front of her and she proceeded to try to grope him a few times, from what I could tell.  He didn't seem pissed off though.

We were standing in front of Bones, a couple of rows back.  Everything sounded great.  This new record translates well live.  We got to see Explosion, Carmelina and Advertising.  Pretty good considering.  Emmitt got me hyped up for Champions, but it didn't happen.  It's all good though.

The only downside of seeing him in a club, which I hadn't before tonight, was drunk people.  I had one guy who was pretty hammered by the end of the show swaying into me constantly.  There were people complaining behind me that he wasn't playing enough rock songs for some reason.  But people were decent for the most part.

Overall, I really enjoyed the show.  Thanks Matt for the record and the show tonight.

Setlist - London - 12/15/15

London Music Hall

Load Carmelina Up

Sons & Daughters

No Liars

Cold Water

Army of Lions

Everything is Automatic

Alert Status Red

A Single Explosion

Born Losers

Kid Down the Well

Los Alamos

Apparitions

Weapon

Cloudbusting

Advertising on Police Cars

Hello Time Bomb

Giant

Man, what a show. It had been four years since he had been back, and last night made me miss him more than I thought. No offence to other versions of his touring band, but I think this was the tightest they've ever sounded behind him. Stu is incredible, and Bones was entertaining. It would have been nice to have Anthony and some keyboard, but it was a solid rock show.

Matt seemed to be in a pretty good mood. He commented on how this venue sounded way better to him just being on stage than the venue they've used in the past. He talked about going into the crowd, because he doesn't know what else to do on stage with a microphone in his hand, but it was too gymnastic to do it tonight. He sat down on the stage right in front to sing part of Army of Lions. There was an "energetic" woman right front and centre who was jumping around the whole show. He sat down right in front of her and she proceeded to try to grope him a few times, from what I could tell. He didn't seem pissed off though.

We were standing in front of Bones, a couple of rows back. Everything sounded great. This new record translates well live. We got to see Explosion, Carmelina and Advertising. Pretty good considering. Emmitt got me hyped up for Champions, but it didn't happen. It's all good though.

The only downside of seeing him in a club, which I hadn't before tonight, was drunk people. I had one guy who was pretty hammered by the end of the show swaying into me constantly. There were people complaining behind me that he wasn't playing enough rock songs for some reason. But people were decent for the most part.

Overall, I really enjoyed the show. Thanks Matt for the record and the show tonight.

Hahah, yeah sorry I got myself pretty hyped for Champions to.

Re: the girl at the front she grabbed his hand and was holding it while he had it in the air and he broke his "serious focus" for a moment and smile/laughed it was pretty cute. But yeah the rail was way to high to climb back over after to come into the crowd. Also someone barfed in the crowd over Bones side a bit back. Thank god I was Stu side at the front lol. Oh club shows.

And yes. This touring band is tight. Love it. Love Blake. Love Stu. Love Bones. Sounds great. Fun to watch.

There was a guy that brought his brother with special needs, and the band interacted with him a bunch and he had the greatest time which was pretty awesome to see.

I asked James about the 12 string and he said he just unpacks it but its been on the tour the whole time (guess I just hadn't spotted it yet) but that he didn't know what song Champions of Nothing was, so evidentially it hasn't been practiced as previously rumoured?

I asked James about the 12 string and he said he just unpacks it but its been on the tour the whole time (guess I just hadn't spotted it yet) but that he didn't know what song Champions of Nothing was, so evidentially it hasn't been practiced as previously rumoured?

Hey, Emma, I don't know if you caught what I wrote above. He's used it previously on the tour for acoustic performances. As far as song selection goes, I think we've got some pretty good surprises. Last tour I asked Matt about Born to Kill making a comeback, as he had posted that they were working on it. He told me they were just running out of steam near the end of the tour, which is understandable.

Hey, Emma, I don't know if you caught what I wrote above. He's used it previously on the tour for acoustic performances. As far as song selection goes, I think we've got some pretty good surprises. Last tour I asked Matt about Born to Kill making a comeback, as he had posted that they were working on it. He told me they were just running out of steam near the end of the tour, which is understandable.

I did yeah. And no complaints here. This tour's been amazing. I just got really excited when I actually saw the 12ver as I hadn't l noticed it out on the rack at all up until this point. I've been at the front almost exclusively guitar side this string of five shows so I generally have had good view of what's kicking around back there. I was just so excited at the possibility. But heck, we got Empty Road at VIP in Toronto. No complaints. Edited by emmit643

So Blake put us on the guest list to get in for the last show in Hamilton, which is amazing!!! But I can't make it and I'm so heartbroken. He asked us if we were coming and when we said no all the good seats were gone offered to put us on the list as his guests since he didn't have that many people coming for Hamilton.

This tour has been so dope. Matt, band and crew: all the best. Legit had the time of my life. Hope you all enjoy the Bridgehead coffee ✌

I finally got my photo essay put together for The Revue featuring Matt's stop in Ottawa. Unfortunately, I'm shooting from the crowd about 7 rows back so many of the images aren't as nicely framed as I would like. You can see the images at the link below:

http://therevue.ca/2015/12/15/matthew-good-brings-chaotic-neutral-to-the-nac/

I had an after show pass that night. Although I didn't get to see Matthew as he had already gone to the bus, I did get have a drink and chat with the boys post-show and meet many of the crew.  Everyone was really quite friendly and fun to hang with backstage.

What time does Matt typically hit the stage? Ready for Hamilton tonight. :)

About 9ish, 9:15 if they're a little behind.

Scott Helman is a pretty good opener though, so I recommend you catch a bit of his set if you can .

Have fun!! Wish so hard I could be there!

Setlist - St. Catherine's 12/16/15

Sons & Daughters

No Liars

Single Explosion

Born Losers

Army of Lions

Cold Water

Everything is Automatic

Alert Status Red

Harridan

Load Carmelina Up

Los Alamos 

Apparitions

Weapon

Tiger By The Tail

Giant

Girls in Black

Another night, another solid setlist.  Tiger by the Tail is definitely one from the new album that I wish I had seen live.

• Upvote 1

About 9ish, 9:15 if they're a little behind.

Scott Helman is a pretty good opener though, so I recommend you catch a bit of his set if you can .

Have fun!! Wish so hard I could be there!

Cool thanks!  Gunna try to get there early, but you never know with the border.

Good show. Very talented band that sounded amazing. The venue was decent, weird layout with amazing acoustics. The crowd that surrounded me wasn't too damn good. I had the displeasure of sitting next to three obnoxious guys who were drunk as hell and talked through the set and were heckling the opener. I also was the lucky guy that had two girls (the only two in the area) that decided to stand and block everyone's view. After listening to people yell at them and tell them they were rude I had enough. I decided to go and sit in the back so I could enjoy the show.

I'm very glad I got to see this tour but doubt I'd make the drive again. No offense to Hamilton because I know it's on the mend but it just wasn't a very attractive city. I'd rather drive the extra 45 minutes to Toronto.

I can't say enough for how tight they sounded tonight. The Load Me Up into Carmalina is awesome.

Now for the seven hour drive home....

Edited by GuitarmanMCS
  • Upvote 1

Great concert. I enjoyed it a lot. I flew in from Calgary. I was 3rd row centre. I absolutely loved my seat. I could see the band and everything clearly.

Re. Hamilton concert:

- Army of Lions: Matt was singing, chilling with an alcoholic beverage (in a red, plastic dixie cup), and sitting in the front row the entire time. He just wanted to try the whole rock and rock experience. Stu even threw a guitar pick towards him. Then all of a sudden, people came out of the woodwork towards Matt, from every direction imaginable. All the phones came out and people took selfies with him, and pointed their phone cameras at him. There was an empty seat beside him, so a handful of girls took turns sitting beside him, taking selfies with him (whether he liked it or not) and put their hand behind him in the seat (like they were his significant other or something). One guy was even talking directly to him at the end of the song and pointing his finger at him. I wonder what he said to him. The whole thing was bizarre. This is what paparazzi must look like in Hollywood. It was a weird situation all around, almost like an invasion of privacy. I can't explain it. I've never seen anything like this before first hand. Matt made a comment about it on stage afterwards. He said something along the lines that people seemed more concerned about capturing pictures for facebook than simply enjoying the music and creating memories. Good lesson. Memories are far more valuable. They last for years to come. I think he mentioned the experience of seeing Billy Bragg live, long time ago, as an example.

- Girls in Black: This was the last song of the night. Matt sang on stage in a crouched position in front of me. Later, he stood on the armrests of the adjoining seats in the 3rd row, 3 seats to my left. I've never seen him sing so close to me before. He was wearing a Guess white shirt. That is a great memory I will have for years to come.

- Los Alamos: Everyone, including Blake, was playing guitars. It was very beautiful; although, Blake's guitar seemed a little louder than everyone else's guitar. It was kind of noticeable. I loved the lights during the song. They looked liked stars in the midnight sky. It really complemented the song.

- I love Stu's guitar playing. His solo parts on some the songs were wicked. He was on fire tonight, along with the rest of the band.

- During Scott Helman's 'Cry, Cry, Cry' song, the band, minus Matt, and the crew danced on stage with matching girly crop tops on. They were white crop tops with pink letters on them, I think. I did not catch what the letters spelt. I was so busy trying to find my camera in my bag so I could record it, that I missed seeing all the fun and shenanigans unfold on stage. Lesson learned. Never ever bring a camera to a music concert. Afterwards, Matt came on stage and hugged Scott. Scott then finished the second half of 'Cry, Cry, Cry'.

- Carmelina: This song surprised me. I really enjoyed hearing this song live. It was very good. I don't remember the last time I heard it live; maybe, it's because I have never heard it live before.

Edited by girl

Guest Idioteque

Sounds like a pretty great show to end this tour on. Glad you all had fun!

I got the chance to stand right in-front of Matt during the encore of his first Vancouver show because everyone rushed the stage. My experience in that little pit during Girls In Black was so odd, drunk girls clawing/groping & taking photos with him. I couldn't help but shake my head "Wow, Matt is doing something so many famous artists wouldn't do, walk around in the crowd & be this intimate, yet it's going to be spoiled because he's never gonna want to do this again due to all this harassment!". This happened the first night! So he had to know going forth the crowds would just get rowdier. At the end of the day though everyone looks like they had fun, no accidents happened, hopefully this becomes a setlist favourite for future tours. Lord knows he's going to do it during festivals, how could he not?

So since it's the end of the tour, we should all post a few of our photos we've taken & archive them in this thread. (Yes I know he technically has 2 more shows left) btw is anybody going to either of those nights? Cannot wait to see those setlists!

Anyways, night 1 & night 2 in Vancouver BC, at The Vogue.

11930874_1028419903844766_937960730_n.jp

12224301_1645803785660574_197267381_n.jp

I kept thinking that the coming into the crowd thing was going to get ruined by people groping him and grabbing him and stuff. Kudos to Matt for sticking that out. I don't know if I would have. But it was really cool to experience. I got to hear Lions with him singing right in front of me in Montreal. One of the few times (were there more?) that he came off stage Stu side and not Bones side. It was so cool. Even helped boost him back on stage haha.

Also, these crop top shenanigans sound hilarious.

Also, in regards to the solo acoustic, I wish so badly I could make it. The drive from Ottawa is apparently "only" 4 and half hours. However, the greyhound from Ottawa is like 11.5hrs or some shit. And over 200$. Plus 105$ for the show ticket. I can't do it. I just can't. The MG app keeps sending me these reminders about the two solo acoustic shows too. And I'm MG app, knock it off! Quit rubbing it in, okay? lol

Seriously though. Best tour ever. Had the time of my life. Unreal.

Great concert. I enjoyed it a lot. I flew in from Calgary. I was 3rd row centre. I absolutely loved my seat. I could see the band and everything clearly.

Re. Hamilton concert:

- Army of Lions: Matt was singing, chilling with an alcoholic beverage (in a red, plastic dixie cup), and sitting in the front row the entire time. He just wanted to try the whole rock and rock experience. Stu even threw a guitar pick towards him. Then all of a sudden, people came out of the woodwork towards Matt, from every direction imaginable. All the phones came out and people took selfies with him, and pointed their phone cameras at him. There was an empty seat beside him, so a handful of girls took turns sitting beside him, taking selfies with him (whether he liked it or not) and put their hand behind him in the seat (like they were his significant other or something). One guy was even talking directly to him at the end of the song and pointing his finger at him. I wonder what he said to him. The whole thing was bizarre. This is what paparazzi must look like in Hollywood. It was a weird situation all around, almost like an invasion of privacy. I can't explain it. I've never seen anything like this before first hand. Matt made a comment about it on stage afterwards. He said something along the lines that people seemed more concerned about capturing pictures for facebook than simply enjoying the music and creating memories. Good lesson. Memories are far more valuable. They last for years to come. I think he mentioned the experience of seeing Billy Bragg live, long time ago, as an example.

- Girls in Black: This was the last song of the night. Matt sang on stage in a crouched position in front of me. Later, he stood on the armrests of the adjoining seats in the 3rd row, 3 seats to my left. I've never seen him sing so close to me before. He was wearing a Guess white shirt. That is a great memory I will have for years to come.

- Los Alamos: Everyone, including Blake, was playing guitars. It was very beautiful; although, Blake's guitar seemed a little louder than everyone else's guitar. It was kind of noticeable. I loved the lights during the song. They looked liked stars in the midnight sky. It really complemented the song.

- I love Stu's guitar playing. His solo parts on some the songs were wicked. He was on fire tonight, along with the rest of the band.

- During Scott Helman's 'Cry, Cry, Cry' song, the band, minus Matt, and the crew danced on stage with matching girly crop tops on. They were white crop tops with pink letters on them, I think. I did not catch what the letters spelt. I was so busy trying to find my camera in my bag so I could record it, that I missed seeing all the fun and shenanigans unfold on stage. Lesson learned. Never ever bring a camera to a music concert. Afterwards, Matt came on stage and hugged Scott. Scott then finished the second half of 'Cry, Cry, Cry'.​

- Carmelina: This song surprised me. I really enjoyed hearing this song live. It was very good. I don't remember the last time I heard it live; maybe, it's because I have never heard it live before.

It was one of the most spirited performances in my now 12 times seeing him! Great show, though in the first balcony before the encore no one was doing the KICKASS chant beckoning the band back on. It was weird - I think I was the only one doing it haha.

Oh, and I believe the girly crop-tops said SCOTT in glitter, owing to his kinda teen-idol persona.  

• Upvote 1

Girl, I am so glad you enjoyed the show in Hamilton and Emma, sorry you couldn't make it and I have so enjoyed reading your updates about the tour. Congrats to Matt, Scott Helman and all of the crew and band for all their hard work and this amazing tour! Time for turkey and fruit cake and a break!

Yes, it was worth the trip and Emma, thanks for all of your posts. It got me all pumped up and excited for this tour, more than any other previous tour. I especially took note when you said Bones said the Hamilton show was "going to be something". That's the main reason I went. All of your inside information about your concert experiences was very helpful too. Matt mentioned Bones' penguin drawings would be at the merch table for the connoisseur, but they didn't have anymore.

Oh, and I believe the girly crop-tops said SCOTT in glitter, owing to his kinda teen-idol persona.  

Ah, I see. Thanks for clearing that up. I missed that part. You have great eyesight sitting in the first balcony.

Yes, it was worth the trip and Emma, thanks for all of your posts. It got me all pumped up and excited for this tour, more than any other previous tour. I especially took note when you said Bones said the Hamilton show was "going to be something". That's the main reason I went. All of your inside information about your concert experiences was very helpful too. Matt mentioned Bones' penguin drawings would be at the merch table for the connoisseur, but they didn't have anymore.

Ah, I see. Thanks for clearing that up. I missed that part. You have great eyesight sitting in the first balcony.

Re: Army of Lions and people's sense of entitlement and the need to post everything on Facebook, plus invasion of privacy.

I had a similar epiphany when I went down to Los Angeles for the I Want to Believe premier at Grauman's Chinese Theatre in July 2008. I'm a big X-FIles fan and had the chance to go to the premier and see Gillian Anderson and David Duchovny in person. The way the so-called "fan" treated them was insane. Mobbing them, getting photos without asking, shoving things in their faces to autograph. Gillian was heavily pregnant and people were still mobbing her after a Jay Leno interview, trying to touch her and get into her car.

I wonder if this degree of objectification is why Matt may have waited until this time in his career to try venturing into the crowd. I am sure some artists really enjoy the interaction with fans and can put up with the groping and touching and such, but it's hard to say. As Tony said, I wonder if he will ever do it again considering people seem to have trouble respecting his personal space. It comes down to a huge sense of entitlement, this idea of "I"m a huge fan and have spent xxxxx amount of dollars, so now I deserve this" kind of thing.  I have tried really hard to not be that kidn fo fan although admittedly it can be difficult at times, but I think it's the respectful way to be.

Girl, I am so glad you enjoyed the show in Hamilton and Emma, sorry you couldn't make it and I have so enjoyed reading your updates about the tour. Congrats to Matt, Scott Helman and all of the crew and band for all their hard work and this amazing tour! Time for turkey and fruit cake and a break!

haha thanks guys. This is probably the most into a tour I've ever been, I'm really glad I finally joined the forum after seeing it for so long. Stu asked me if I was on here, and I said I just joined in September. He says he checks it sometimes, but sometimes doesn't want to because everyone is super honest on here, and if he thinks he's had a bad night, he doesn't want to be reminded of it. BUT HEY STU if you're reading this, you were a BEAST this tour. Fantastic. Everyone was.

I have to say, the whole photo thing...I dunno. I like to have mementos from the shows, but I don't want to watch through a phone the whole time. And even, when I got to talk to the band, and go to the bar and anything like that, I didn't actually ask any one for a photo. Outside the London show a bunch of people kind of swarmed Matt, after we just said hey from line. And they had all this stuff to sign, and took all these photos and stuff. And you know, yeah, I'd love to have like *a* photo with Matt, but like I don't want to put anyone out or bug anybody. I never want an interaction with me to become like a chore or a hassle. So I just let it be. Also, the guys getting all that stuff signed, seemed more like they were gonna sell it...so there's that too.

Although, confession, someone did take a photo of me and Bones (and some random drunk guy) in front of the Danforth.

One other thing, that was super cool. In London I brought them a bunch of coffee from my coffeeshop in Ottawa (Bridgehead, aka like the best beans) and some tea and some Chai shortbread so that there was enough for everyone in the band, and Gillian, and hopefully all the crew. (I forget if I mentioned this already). Wasn't sure if they'd take it or not, and Gillian said of course they would and took it. And then after the show I went home, and wondered if they would get it. Well, Kelly did make it to the Hamilton show and said Gillian said they all loved it! Which is so cool. I'm so glad. Like I just wanted everyone to know how awesome this tour was and how special they all made my experience. So it's just really cool that I got that message across and I was like beaming when I found out.

Also, a la penguin drawing, Bones drew a "Tour Summary" special drawing for 20$ which Kelly bought since her ticket was one of our comp ones. It's pretty sick. Unreal this tour. Unreal.

I don't know what I'm going to talk about now that it's over, but I can tell you that all my Bridgehead coworkers are relieved as they are all sick of hearing me talk about the tour, and I may or may not get eyerolls if I wear a tour shirt into work lol.

Plus 105$ for the show ticket. I can't do it. I just can't.

At first I thought $105 was a typo, so I double-checked and yep, that's the price.......plus seven a buck service charge! I know this is one good, final way for Matt to generate revenue at the end of the tour (not having to pay the band for these two shows), but sorry, that price for a solo accoustic show is just excessive. Especially compared to the ticket price for his solo U.S. tour in '12, which was $20-25, and his solo show at the Rio, which was $30-35.

I usually don't think twice about price for my favourite artists, but in this case, if these shows were local, I'd pass.

At first I thought $105 was a typo, so I double-checked and yep, that's the price.......plus seven a buck service charge! I know this is one good, final way for Matt to generate revenue at the end of the tour (not having to pay the band for these two shows), but sorry, that price for a solo accoustic show is just excessive. Especially compared to the ticket price for his solo U.S. tour in '12, which was $20-25, and his solo show at the Rio, which was $30-35.

I usually don't think twice about price for my favourite artists, but in this case, if these shows were local, I'd pass.

It does seem obscenely high. I know it's apples and oranges in the USA vs Canada with MG but I saw him at Joe's Pub in NYC in 2013 and paid like $25. It couldn't have held more than 200 and was solo acoustic. Seems pricey to me. I'd rather see four full band shows. ☺️

• Upvote 1

Yep......I think $50-60 would be a happy medium, and fair for both fans and artist.

But to justify the $105 list price, he'd have to play 30-40 songs, and we know that ain't gonna happen, understandably. So that makes this borderline gouging, as far as I'm concerned.

Sorry to be critical at the end of such an amazing tour, but I felt I needed to address this.

Edited by GWS