Outtahere

Beautiful Midnight Is 16 Years Old Today!

Absolutely!

I remember back then there were no album previews and streaming and such. So when I put the CD in the machine the first time, it was actually the first time I heard it. So, when I heard the beginning of Giants, to me it was in the same vein as Underdogs or Hello Time Bomb (which was the only track we'd heard from the record prior to its release). Then when the slow part started I thought "What the hell?"

Oh and I also remember the surprise I had the first time I heard the end of Born To Kill.

Oh and I also remember the surprise I had the first time I heard the end of Born To Kill.

Same here. The year was 2001 at the Stampede Corral. Amazing, almost religious like experience.

When you consider this album: 14 songs, not a bad one among them, it's an absolute classic. I listened to them all again tonight, in honour of the anniversary, never fails to please and impress.

Note that two other great tracks were also consider for the album: Flashdance II and Pony Boy!

I believe Apparitions is the first song that really made me take notice of Matthew Good, but Beautiful Midnight is the album that officially sucked me into the world of Matthew Good music somewhere between 1999 and 2001.

Edited by Manchalivin

When you consider this album: 14 songs, not a bad one among them, it's an absolute classic. I listened to them all again tonight, in honour of the anniversary, never fails to please and impress.

Note that two other great tracks were also consider for the album: Flashdance II and Pony Boy!

Oh absolutely! In my opinion, it's one of the best rock records of the 90's.

I believe Flashdance II was first demoed for Underdogs and then recorded for BM. As for Pony Boy, it was demoed by Matt and Ian during the recording of Beautiful Midnight but Matt said he was never able to recreate the vibe back when they recorded it for AOB (hence it not making the final cut).

I believe Apparitions is the first song that really made me take notice of Matthew Good, but Beautiful Midnight is the album that officially sucked me into the world of Matthew Good music somewhere between 1999 and 2001.

For me it was Everything is Automatic but Apparitions was what drove me to buy Underdogs. The LOTGA and Raygun. I then bought BM on the day of its release. 

Me too. Great minds think alike! I listened to all my favorite songs from Beautiful Midnight non-stop last night. I also listened To Born to Kill about 10 times. It never gets old, even after all these years.

I believe Apparitions is the first song that really made me take notice of Matthew Good

Same here.  Watching Apparitions and Strange Days on Much Much and Muchmoremusic is what reeled me in the first place and made curious about MGB. I made the decision to go to their concert after watching those epic music videos.

Bill Morrison, Matt Good, and his team did an unbelievable job making those videos. They are classics. I still enjoy watching them, and I did that last night as well. Well, I wanted to watch the Apparitions video on YouTube last night, but it's not there for some strange reason.

I heard underdogs prior to BM's release and I really liked it but I would have to say it was BM (Not bowel movement) that sucked me into mgb back in 1999-2000. I would fall asleep listening it then wake up and think "Wow that's a good song". It really was a fantastic album.

• Upvote 1