foats

Something For Matt For Those Going To The Toronto Shows

Another member from the board and I were talking and thought it would be cool if Matt were to allow people to videotape the 3 nights in Toronto.  It would be interesting since some of the songs would be played multiple nights (I imagine)  and the best 18-19 songs could be put onto a dvd made by the fans and could be distributed here on the site (or on matt's official site should he choose)   It wouldn't cost Matt a dime and supposing the venue allows this would be a nice gift for everyone.

I am curious what everyones thoughts are on this.

For what its worth, fans of bands have done this for other large groups.  Off the top of my head I know the fans of Rush have done this on numerous occasions at Radio City Music hall in New York, with multi angles and one centralized audio recording.  Rush is a band that puts out a live DVD of every tour they so they have a competing product, and still here it is on youtube in it's entirety 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dPw8Cqkq788

I don't really have the means to do it as far as equipment goes. If Matt and the boys don't mind granting me a spot at the side of stage and a little tripod for my phone, I think I'd be able to pull something off.

"You point, you shoot it, you press a little fucking button. A monkey could do that."

That's also a lot of work in a pretty busy GA venue, and GA Toronto crowds and Matt Good can typically get pretty rowdy on a Friday or Saturday night.

Having said that, it's a great idea and if something comes of it, that's awesome.

Edited by jjazz

Hey Marcella, yeah, no obviously without permission something like this wouldn't really go, I think Foats meant if people could get the go ahead to do this though.  Hypothetically if something like this were to go down , it'd be ideal to have fans running the cameras who were familiar with the shows and significant parts of the songs, so they weren't focusing on say Bones during the solo acoustic opening of Apparitions.  Definitely The Bored is a good place to start for that.  

Jesse brings up a good point, venue plays a key role too, GA shows are definitely a challenge. Best venue I've seen for this is Port Theatre in Nanaimo.  You have room in front row for a tripod, the stage extends down flared out walkways that run out into the crowd where I have seen people set up cameras on tripods before.  You also have loge balconies on each side of the stage where equipment could be set up too.  

It definitely could be done with a little preprep if the artists was interested in allowing it and there was no behind the scenes red tape to permit it.  

Guest Idioteque

Back in my day we used to call this concept a "bootleg".

It would probably be easier to put together during an acoustic show. Trying to find a bunch of people to capture different angles, then getting solid audio that isn't straight from the soundboard would be a bit of a headache.

Though I'd pay an arm & a leg for a MG dvd (better yet a damn documentary) as long as it's properly made.

I have a couple hundred live MG/MGB shows going back to 1998.  For some of them I did pay an arm and a leg for  only for the quality to be sub par to say the least.  I kept thinking that maybe something official would come out in DVD form or some prior live show  but nothing did (with the exception of Masey Hall)    The live road tracks were phenomenal and something like that with a full show would be amazing to have.  I know Matt mentioned recording acoustic shows during his next tour and that too would be good.  The problem I see is that most of his previous 2 acoustic tours were taped (audio at least)   but rarely do full band shows get recorded.  I much prefer the full band experience to the solo acoustic. 

Not sure on the backstory on this but someone or maybe a group of people recorded MG playing Canada Day in Surrey last year.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cak7CQyKOPk

e: Also, if MG, the record label, and the venue somehow agreed to do this. I really don't think any money should be charged for it.

Anton,

I never knew it was a fan who recorded the Canada day show. It looks amazing quality wise.  Almost as good as the show that was broadcast on Bravo.  I don't think we should charge either unless it's something Matt wanted to do.  If it turns out well it could be something done on every tour.  I don't see any negatives to it as it would all be done by fans with their own equipment.  Hopefully Matt, the label, and some venues get on board.

I don't think anyone would consider charging for this.  I mean for one that would definitely make it illegal and two would there really be a market for that kinda thing anyways? I feel like it'd only work as a by the fans for the fans kinda thing.  

If fans filmed the Canada Day show that's impressive, But I always felt like it was just a recording made off the pro cameras at the show for the enlarged video screens.  They just recorded the feed, similar to what Coachella does when they stream bands live acts on their website.  If I'm wrong than holy shit! What a job! 

Guest Idioteque

No I was at Canada Day & they had massive cameras you see the news use. They were also allowed on the stage & behind the barricade. It was definitely professional since they filmed the entire day.

*unlurks*

I can tell you, based on experience with the venue both shooting shows on a media pass and just as a fan, that DMH won't generally take kindly to anything that looks like a pro shoot (so recording constant video on DSLRs, e.g.).  They definitely take their cue from the artist, though and their label in terms of say recording on iPhones.

I also think if this were done, with Matt's blessing, that nothing should be charged, unless we're talking a donation to a charity Matt supports.  IIRC when the NIN fans did this a couple tours ago, they accepted donations for hosting and charged minimally for physical DVDs but the digital file was freely released.  The profit is where the legal types get sticky.  Considering what happened when certain demos began selling on ebay way back in the day, fees won't fly. 

I would love an official DVD though... so badly...

One of the issues, I have with most of the footage available of Matt, is that even though some visually is impressive, from an audio perspective they are a huge let down.  The reason for this is because most of these shows are random setups.  Say for instance the Canada Day footage posted earlier, it's run on someone else's sound system, and I'd assume someone else's sound guy as part of a festival style show.  These never give the best results.  Shows like the Bravo Concert Hall and Canada Day and other festival shows I've seen are always seriously lacking in sound quality in comparison to actually going to one of Matt's shows.  Compared the Massey Hall live cd compared to Bravo Concert Hall (yes from different tours and some different songs, but band was mostly the same and it was only a year apart) and you'll see what I mean about the soundtrack to the footage just seriously lacking.  I've yet to see footage of Matt that compared to what it would be like to be at a concert and what it would sound like, and yet I've heard fan recordings which do a better job.  

I agree with everyone here that the ultimate ideal would just be if there were someway for Matt to film and record one of his own shows, where he plays a setlist more typical of a show and not a shortened hits centric festival show.  I think Matt addressed this once before though and just said it wasn't financially feasible.  Which if true is disappointing, But understandable.  

Edited by adam_777

Guest Idioteque

I think the most underrated idea would be having an acoustic Matthew Good DVD. Hell of a lot cheaper to make & would be amazing! I wish his infamous Media Club performance or him at the Rio got filmed professionally, either one of those shows would make any die hard or casual fan happy & satisfied.

Actually that reminds me, YouTube Matthew Good Apparitions The Rio. You should find a video of his performance semi-professional. Apparently the guy filmed the whole show if I remember correctly but he's not going to release anything? Rude.

I have a dvd "Eddie Vedder: Water On The Road" it's such a great acoustic concert, I'd want a MG dvd filmed just like that beauty.

The Matthew Good & Jay Baruchel duet could have been an awesome live comedy CD if they recorded it. Hopefully next time they can do something bigger with the idea. I know Matt Good is writing the score for Jay's new movie which is exciting to finally see.

But yeah, I wonder what Matt's views on a live DVD/CD are now. I remember him being anti-bootleg for a long time then all of a sudden saying "do it! Bootleg my shows!". He seriously could have made 50 DVDs back in the 90's like every other rock band at the time. I understand wanting to keep concerts an intimate experience though, TOOL has never had a live DVD for those reasons.

But we all know he was constantly being filmed at the time. I bet Much Music has archives of HD quality footage of Matt live, almost 20 years of it, untouched.

But yeah, I wonder what Matt's views on a live DVD/CD are now. I remember him being anti-bootleg for a long time then all of a sudden saying "do it! Bootleg my shows!". He seriously could have made 50 DVDs back in the 90's like every other rock band at the time. I understand wanting to keep concerts an intimate experience though, TOOL has never had a live DVD for those reasons.

I'm not sure what his views are on DVDs now, but I think he posted on here awhile ago saying it requires too much work and crew to handle it. But don't quote me on that.

As for another live album, I read a recent article (can't remember the magazine now) where he was asked about recording another one and he did say he was up for doing that again. Hopefully that will happen in the near future, maybe on the next tour. 

One of his acoustic shows (philly maybe)  was filmed in full. I have it. actually.  Someone from this board taped it even.  Still hoping even if it's just the audio  that all 3 Toronto shows get taped and out to the public

I remember being at a MG show in Vancouver in 2009 and there were pro cameras there filming it, I think it was CBC filming it for some reason.  I have no idea why and I never saw any of it surface of course.

Anyway, I'm pretty doubtful that Matt and/or his management/label would condone a bunch of amateur fans filming a show with non-pro cameras, and distributing it on the internet (for profit or otherwise).

I don't think it takes much for them to record the audio of a show, as they did with the "Live Road" thing on the last tour.  It would be cool if they did that at every show and made it available for purchase on the website.  It would be a good money maker I think.  I know Weezer has done this, and I think Smashing Pumpkins did something similar at some point.

One of his acoustic shows (philly maybe)  was filmed in full. I have it. actually.  Someone from this board taped it even.  Still hoping even if it's just the audio  that all 3 Toronto shows get taped and out to the public

I taped it. It was from WXPN's World Cafe Live in Philadelphia. If anyone needs a copy, PM me and I will try and help you out. It was a big file and I don't know if it would be worth it to upload it unless the demand is there.