mgb4life2

The Year In Review

Alaska is ridiculously beautiful. I've driven from Fairbanks to Anchoridge and have never been as overwhelmed by scenery as I was there. Maybe a close second is Northern Ontario. 

I just would never go to Disney. Gah. So much Mountain Dew. 

• Upvote 1

Matt, thanks for taking the time to write us here. We're glad you had such an opportunity to create this year, and we're even happier to have been able to attend such a great tour for it.

Thanks also for taking the time to write and share your thoughts on here for us so exclusively for the last little while. While I know it's an accessible place to interact with each other, it's still thoughtful and appreciated that you choose to put yourself out there here for us, the fans.

Should just make a old school collection. 8-track, cassette, and vinyl in one package!

But seriously, thanks for the awesome new album. I've been enjoying and it was a welcome surprise last year.

My only hope for the future is for you to do one show in Las Vegas! I'd be there day one for tickets.

• Upvote 1

Thanks so much for all of the work you do to create beautiful music for your fans, Matt!  I have nothing but respect for the effort you put into each album & can't imagine how difficult life on the road must be.  I get cranky when I fly to Hawaii for a 15 days of sun, sand & general slothfulness:  a weeks long tour would make me downright cantankerous, yet you are the picture of civility on stage, and off. 

I agree with the other uber fans:  I would pay top dollar for a more intimate venue.  I saw you play at least 4 times during your Beautiful Midnight tour, though I don't think I have had the pleasure of hearing Running for Home since that time.  I feel that is one of your most haunting songs & would love to hear it again, live. Some of the others that I always seem to miss are So Long Mrs. Smith, Change of Season, Empty Road, Fated, and all of Loser Anthems, just to cite a very few.  I have already dedicated my piggy bank "Gordo" to the task of saving pennies for the epic shows of which you speak. 

That said, and in full acknowledgement of the fact that I have no context for what the NAC may be like to work with from an artist standpoint, the acoustics in that building are amazing!  I sat in one of the upper balconies on the most recent show, and felt just as enthralled by the music as I was during Lights of Endangered Species, when I was in the 3rd row.  Honestly though, I would be happy either way.

Lastly, a propos of Chaotic Neutral, I am constantly struck by the happy & hopeful tone of this new album:  I imagine that this means you are happy in your own life, Matt, which no one deserves more!

Thanks so much for this post Matt, and thanks again for making music that has added so much to so many people's lives yet again. 

I am going to agree with everyone else here and say that I would most certainly pay more for longer shows or for more intimate venues. Whatever platform you were to choose, I'd be there with a smile on a mile wide. 

As well, I'd like to echo some of the other statements that have been made about your music being immensely helpful during hard times. The release of Chaotic Neutral has coincided with another flare up of longstanding mental health issues in my life, and I couldn't be more happy that I've had that music amidst a really supportive home environment. To hear someone who has been through the worst of it sing "it won't always be like this, you know" is immensely encouraging.

Thanks so much for a couple of fantastic shows this past December, and all the best to you and yours in 2016!

This year I’ve given a lot of thought to various ideas - such as performing Beautiful Midnight in its entirety one night and new material or another record the next. I’ve also given some thought to the idea of doing a small residence acoustic tour. My friend Jeff came up with the idea. Basically it would be max 100 people, 5 nights in a major city, and during each show I would construct it so that I went through my entire career, playing music while at the same time telling the story of the last 20+ years. I’ll not lie, tickets would exceed $100 for those shows, because anything less would make it financially irresponsible.

Thanks for the update Matt! Seeing you play this fall was phenomenal as always. And love that you took the kids to Disney!! My bosses did the same with their two year old and came back saying they had a blast. As for the shows, its been my dream to see you play a full acoustic show, and I can guarantee that price is no factor for pretty much everyone on here. Looking forward to whatever you come up with!

This is the first time in a long time that I've actually overcome some mental problems I've been struggling with for years & it's all thanks to you. I dug deep into the MG archives & found a really intimate & raw blog you wrote about your incident at your parents house that lead to Hospital Music. You mentioned things you would do in your early 20's that I've been experiencing the past 2 years like not eating, days of insomnia & other things that I won't type out here. But it made me search for answers instead of accepting this repetitive ground hog day life I've been living, so again thank you.

Tony, such a wonderful post, so glad that you were able overcome your struggles. The post you're referring to is the exact same one that changed my life 8 years ago and got me help for the mental illness I had been struggling with for nearly all of my life. I just love hearing these stories, always brings a smile to me face  ^_^

I haven't been on the bored in a very long time, but looking forward to this new year and getting involved again, you all are fantastic!