jbors4MG

Star Wars Episode 7

Guest Idioteque

It's definitely better than the prequels (Even though my guilty pleasure is Phantom Menace) it took a few reviews on Youtube for me to give Episode 7 a 9/10.

But come on ANOTHER death star? That killed me.

The prequels had some fantastic aspects, some decent aspects, and more than its share of terrible aspects. Unfortunately, much of the most important stuff, like dialogue and a bunch of acting and even plot, was often average or disappointing.  The action was amazing, I enjoyed many of the cool new alien species, enjoyed Dooku (including the Yoda fight) was badass, a lot of the new vehicles/ships etc.

The Force Awakens...well seeing the reviews I thought JJ had pulled off a miracle but it after seeing it...it was much more a reboot than a sequel, it ripped off just about every plot device, planet, and character from the original trilogy.  It was devoid of George's incredible creativity, which is one of the major things that made the originals great and one of the only saving graces of the prequels.

Thankfully they've recycle's most of the original trilogy ideas in this first movie and proved "oh look we can do old-school Star Wars1" and got all that nonsense out of their systems and can take more risks with the next flick.

The prequels had some fantastic aspects, some decent aspects, and more than its share of terrible aspects. Unfortunately, much of the most important stuff, like dialogue and a bunch of acting and even plot, was often average or disappointing.  The action was amazing, I enjoyed many of the cool new alien species, enjoyed Dooku (including the Yoda fight) was badass, a lot of the new vehicles/ships etc.

The Force Awakens...well seeing the reviews I thought JJ had pulled off a miracle but it after seeing it...it was much more a reboot than a sequel, it ripped off just about every plot device, planet, and character from the original trilogy.  It was devoid of George's incredible creativity, which is one of the major things that made the originals great and one of the only saving graces of the prequels.

Thankfully they've recycle's most of the original trilogy ideas in this first movie and proved "oh look we can do old-school Star Wars1" and got all that nonsense out of their systems and can take more risks with the next flick.

i totally agree on basically all aspects.... that being said, after recently watching the prequels (after force awakens) I would say that the dialogue is so poor that It is almost jarring, bordering on amateur, and some of the acting is just as bad. I just recently re-watched episode 3, and while at the time found it "not so bad" compared to the first two, found it almost cringe-worthy on rewatch. While I don't think that the star Wars universe needed anything added to the original trilogy (and maybe even a re-do to the 3rd installment), I didn't mind the new movie.

Starkiller base did ruin the movie for me, though. I've given JJ a lot of slack through the years, but this was unforgivable and a bit of a slap to the face for me. There was enough re-hash up until that point, they didn't need to make another death star... it makes no sense, they could have done the last third of the movie very similar without falling back on that trope. All this did ws make me highly skeptical of episode eight and nine being re-hashes as well. 

Edited by folk singer