Sly Botts

Army Of Lions

Hey guys,

I just have to let it be known that this song is awesome.

It is the first song to come from Matthew Good in the last 10 years that I really superbly enjoy... Absolutely fantastic!  My 8 year old daughter makes me play it in the car every time.  Nice work Mr. Good.

You know, I've been pretty critical of allot of MG's albums and songs over the last 10 years since Hospital Music and have made no efforts to hide it on this forum. In particular his Massey Album, making comments about him sounding drunk on that album (No offence Mr. Good, I know playing live in front of people isn't easy or perfect).  I think my views mostly have to do with my own life changes (ie; growing up) and changes in taste etc..;  However despite this I will still continue to support him and buy his albums because a part of me will always be a fan-boy, even if he releases an album and I absolutely dislike it... I'll still buy it.  If he plays a show near where I live, I'll go see it. (Come on Matt stop avoiding Sault Ste Marie). He deserves that much from me.  Especially since I got so much from his music when I was a Teen and in my early college years.  I'll say it again...

He deserves at least that much from me for how his music impacted me.

Man.. what a great tune.

Edited by Sly Botts

It's a GREAT song, should have been the first single IMO.  When I first listened to Chaotic Neutral I listened to Army of Lions about 8 times in a row, couldn't get enough of it.  Blake does such a great job on the drums on that song, a great booming beat.  They must have cranked the volume of the drums in the mix when they discovered how good it sounded in the studio with the drums carrying the song like that.  Probably the first Matt Good song that's made me get up and dance.

Edited by Moonlight_Graham

Yes!!! I really, really, really like this song a lot. I listened to it on repeat when it came out. I'm trying to get it on one of the playlists at the spin studio I go to. It just gets me so pumped up!!

And I don't think I'll ever forget having Matt sing it right in front of me in Montreal. It was so awesome.

Is it the second single? Was there even a second single? I wouldn't know down here in the US, but I've been curious.

It's been on the radio up here, especially around his show date.  Don't think I've heard it since then, but the local radio station here are MG snobs for the most part.

It's been on the radio up here, especially around his show date.  Don't think I've heard it since then, but the local radio station here are MG snobs for the most part.

I was curious, what's an MG snob?  Someone who hates MG or is uppity about being a big fan?

I was curious, what's an MG snob?  Someone who hates MG or is uppity about being a big fan?

I meant that they don't seem to love him.  They just don't typically play his music.  When they do, it's always from the MGB days.  The one big morning guy went on a rant quite a few years ago about how Matt was rude to him when doing an interview, so I think he doesn't have a lot of love for him.

But they're not all like that.  The woman who does the afternoon show on FM96 was standing right next to us for his show here.

I might be biased because they play the same shitty music over and over again, and I'm too far away from Toronto to get The Edge.

I meant that they don't seem to love him. They just don't typically play his music. When they do, it's always from the MGB days. The one big morning guy went on a rant quite a few years ago about how Matt was rude to him when doing an interview, so I think he doesn't have a lot of love for him.

But they're not all like that. The woman who does the afternoon show on FM96 was standing right next to us for his show here.

I might be biased because they play the same shitty music over and over again, and I'm too far away from Toronto to get The Edge.

Listen to the Edge online. They stream it live.

I listen in Ottawa sometimes

It's also a GREAT song for exercising/working out to. In fact, I have a playlist of just MG songs entirely for this purpose.

So what's in your MG exercising/working out playlist? Army of Lions, Girls in Black, Last Parade, and perhaps a few songs from Arrows of Desire?

I was just curious what MG songs would be good for running on the treadmill. I want to improve my ipod running playlist with upbeat songs that get me motivated and moving.

Gotcha. I miss X fm. That was a great station in Ottawa. Played a lot of MGB

Yay! They played Alabama Motel Room this morning on X92.9 for Throwback Thursday. I've never heard that song on the radio before. They even played Strange Days a few days ago. They must love Matthew Good. That radio station surprises me.

So what's in your MG exercising/working out playlist? Army of Lions, Girls in Black, Last Parade, and perhaps a few songs from Arrows of Desire?

I was just curious what MG songs would be good for running on the treadmill. I want to improve my ipod running playlist with upbeat songs that get me motivated and moving.

One fitness junkie to another, I generally play LOTGA, Raygun & Underdogs when I'm working out, and just skip the down tempo stuff.  That said, Beautiful Midnight is still my favourite album to run to:  it's got great highs & lows for a tempo run. 

My running playlist has a wide variety of mg.

Oh be joyful, put out your lights, Alert, little terror, near fantastica, last parade, Vancouver national anthem, zero orchestra, arrows, Via Dolorosa, we're long gone, garden of knives, no liars, harridan, girls in black, Cloudbusting, army of lions.

For long runs I throw in some mellower stuff at certain points like tripoli, kid down the well, suburbia, etc

Load Me Up and Time Bomb are pretty good for that too (I guess BM was technically already mentioned). Also Indestructible. Alabama Motel Room. I'm a Window. The Boy Who Could Explode. Fought to Fight It has a decent steady tempo too. The cover of Enjoy the Silence. Pledge of Allegiance. 21st Century Living. Near Fantastica. Man of Action (if can wait through the intro build-up which is a bit slow). Carmelina. Anti-Pop. Definitely Raygun.

and everything you mentioned really mackie:

My running playlist has a wide variety of mg.

Oh be joyful, put out your lights, Alert, little terror, near fantastica, last parade, Vancouver national anthem, zero orchestra, arrows, Via Dolorosa, we're long gone, garden of knives, no liars, harridan, girls in black, Cloudbusting, army of lions.

For long runs I throw in some mellower stuff at certain points like tripoli, kid down the well, suburbia, etc

Really depends how heavy you like it, or how quick of a tempo you want. But you can definitely sustain an only MG playlist for cardio if you wanted to. Personally, I like it mix it up and it's a medley of things. But if you wanted to, there's definitely enough.

I know there is some criticism toward WLRRR but for me it is quite solid from the first track through blue skies. It's an album I have definitely under appreciated up until the past few months.

I find that every so often I rediscover an album after not hearing it for a bit. Before WLRRR it was HM and before that was Vancouver. I love having so much content to rotate and shuffle through.