Sly Botts

City And Colour: If I Should Go Before You

Hey guys, what did you think of this album.

Here is the first single. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DOXVdDULHPc

This song is amazing.

Woman
My love is never ending
Like a sea without a shore
Woman
I'm a fool guilty of old crimes
But you are the one I adore
Woman
When the world has emptied
and the planet is covered in dust
I will stand beneath the silver moon rising
Waiting to resurrect our love

I'll admit I haven't listened to it in great detail quite yet, but from what I have heard - not the biggest fan of the new stuff. Everything post hipster cowboy-hat, I've not liked as much as the first few albums. Not because I don't like change, but because a lot of the songs seem to sound the same.

Sometimes, Bring Me Your Love, Little Hell are all fantastic beginning to end. The Hurry and the Harm has a few good tunes...this one just hasn't grabbed me as the others have.

I'll admit I haven't listened to it in great detail quite yet, but from what I have heard - not the biggest fan of the new stuff. Everything post hipster cowboy-hat, I've not liked as much as the first few albums. Not because I don't like change, but because a lot of the songs seem to sound the same.

Sometimes, Bring Me Your Love, Little Hell are all fantastic beginning to end. The Hurry and the Harm has a few good tunes...this one just hasn't grabbed me as the others have.

Yeah I hear ya.  I found 2 of the songs from H&TH to be similar too AOF's "Born and raised".  "Harder than stone" actually contains the lyrics from the chorus of "Born & Raised" and the song "Ladies and Gentleman" chorus has the same melody as the chorus from "Born and raised".   I have to admit though, "Born and raised" is an awesome song.

Guest Idioteque

Ballsy for him to put that 9 minute echo chamber song as the intro. I like it though & my favorite track from that album is "Wasted Love", has a GREAT chorus. The only problem I've always had with Dallas Green is he never sounds like he's giving 100% with his vocals, just sounds like he's holding back when he should be ALOT louder. Not like his screaming days in Alexisonfire but something that would give alot of his songs a boost of energy. 

I saw him headline Rock The Shores following Matthew Good, Sheepdogs & Jimmy Eat World. All 3 of those bands have extremely powerful singers so by the time Dallas got on stage the whole mood of the festival went from rock & roll to a family event, felt strange & I got bored so I left halfway into the set. 

Yeah I hear ya.  I found 2 of the songs from H&TH to be similar too AOF's "Born and raised".  "Harder than stone" actually contains the lyrics from the chorus of "Born & Raised" and the song "Ladies and Gentleman" chorus has the same melody as the chorus from "Born and raised".   I have to admit though, "Born and raised" is an awesome song.

Yeah, I've often wondered whether it was an intentional re-working, like Sam Malone was. He's said before it was the first song he'd ever written. 

Ballsy for him to put that 9 minute echo chamber song as the intro. I like it though & my favorite track from that album is "Wasted Love", has a GREAT chorus. The only problem I've always had with Dallas Green is he never sounds like he's giving 100% with his vocals, just sounds like he's holding back when he should be ALOT louder. Not like his screaming days in Alexisonfire but something that would give alot of his songs a boost of energy. 

I saw him headline Rock The Shores following Matthew Good, Sheepdogs & Jimmy Eat World. All 3 of those bands have extremely powerful singers so by the time Dallas got on stage the whole mood of the festival went from rock & roll to a family event, felt strange & I got bored so I left halfway into the set. 

I've seen him live in concert as City and Colour thrice and with Alexisonfire thrice. He has the ability to let lose a vocal juggernaut, but I find he generally only goes to those places with Alexis. I once saw him do a solo version of "Sidewalks.." while the rest of the band took a piss? Smoke? break and it was breathtakingly powerful.

I've always wanted to see AOF live but they never came to the Sault.  Now that they're back together... who knows?  

I was at the show this past summer where they announced on stage that they are "back together" (at Riot Fest). It was CLEARLY crowd pandering, and they later took to social media to clarify that they are only back together in the Royal sense...as in, talking again, friends....with no actual plans to record or tour. Emotionally manipulative, to say the very least. 

I liked Dallas when he first starting doing the acoustic stuff, but he comes across as such a whiner anymore.  I have a really hard time listening to his music anymore.

Maybe I'm just bitter still about his wife breaking up AOF.

I liked Dallas when he first starting doing the acoustic stuff, but he comes across as such a whiner anymore.  I have a really hard time listening to his music anymore.

His wife broke up AOF?

Hmm...she gets a lot of guff for stuff she's "perceived" to have done, even though I doubt she did about 90% of it. With all due respect, I think that may just be a healthy bit of Yoko Ono syndrome fan bias.

I don't like Leah Miller as a presenter, but I have no doubt she is a nice enough gal!

http://www.news1130.com/2013/06/03/dallas-green-explores-alexisonfire-breakup-on-new-city-and-colour-album/

I'm sure it's partially bias on my part, but there is some truth in the allegations.  No one will likely ever know the full truth.

Bands break up all the time.  AOF has already done several farewell tours and shows, and they seem to keep going with it. 

I still don't like his music anymore, no matter who he's married to.

Really enjoying this album actually. 'Mizzy C' is a great track, really digging it. The closing song, 'Blood' might just be my favourite on the album. Going to be seeing him play this summer for the first time and am super pumped. Have seen AOF but never City & Colour. I dunno, Dallas has yet to disappoint me.  (y)

Really enjoying this album actually. 'Mizzy C' is a great track, really digging it. The closing song, 'Blood' might just be my favourite on the album. Going to be seeing him play this summer for the first time and am super pumped. Have seen AOF but never City & Colour. I dunno, Dallas has yet to disappoint me.  (y)

I'm hopeful to see how these new tracks are translated live. Also going in June to see him again!

Yep. He was crap at Rock the Shores. Not to mention Matt got totally shafted at that event so it put a downer on the whole thing. Wasted Love is my favourite song of his too. But he definitely grates on my nerves if I try to listen to more than one song in a row by him. His solo stuff is so different than AOF - did his fans carry over or not really?

A great deal of the fans of his first few albums are AOF fans, including myself. The issue I have with his new music is exactly what has been mentioned above - he can belt them out real good, but chooses to stay pretty safe a lot of the time. It's not that his newer stuff doesn't sound like him, it's just tonally so much different.

He once said in an interview that he only writes sad songs because that's just the kind of mood he tends to be in when he writes and that those are the kind of songs that lift him up. I think all of us being Matt Good fans can relate, there hahaha....but yeah....new tunes are missing that *something*

I just think that he has an amazing voice, especially when he is doing AOF stuff, and the melodies of the AOF music, the guitar sounds they use... I just got hooked.  A far as C&C goes, I really liked Dallas's "little hell" album. "Hope for now" and "oh sister" are stellar songs in my opinion. His jaunt with Pink (You+Me) was ok... (lots of chemistry there) but I was expecting a little more.  The song he did with Never-ending White lights was amazing (A great album that one).  I agree he does seem like a whiner at times, but I don't know what it is about him... I just love his music.

I'm curious what Matt thinks about AOF or Dallas Green.

I just think that he has an amazing voice, especially when he is doing AOF stuff, and the melodies of the AOF music, the guitar sounds they use... I just got hooked.  A far as C&C goes, I really liked Dallas's "little hell" album. "Hope for now" and "oh sister" are stellar songs in my opinion. His jaunt with Pink (You+Me) was ok... (lots of chemistry there) but I was expecting a little more.  The song he did with Never-ending White lights was amazing (A great album that one).  I agree he does seem like a whiner at times, but I don't know what it is about him... I just love his music.

I'm curious what Matt thinks about AOF or Dallas Green.

Yes! Hope For Now and Oh Sister are my favourite tracks off that album as well.

The song you're talking about is called "The Grace"...great tune, agreed.

I remember, I think it was 2009/10, but Dallas Green was one of the artists that announced the Juno Awards and he happened to be the one that announced Matt's nomination for Vancouver. Pretty cool. 

I'd also like to hear what he thinks. They are my two favourite singers, hands down (my opinion on recent C&C work notwithstanding).

Edited by andydanger85

Yes! Hope For Now and Oh Sister are my favourite tracks off that album as well.

The song you're talking about is called "The Grace"...great tune, agreed.

I remember, I think it was 2009/10, but Dallas Green was one of the artists that announced the Juno Awards and he happened to be the one that announced Matt's nomination for Vancouver. Pretty cool. 

I'd also like to hear what he thinks. They are my two favourite singers, hands down (my opinion on recent C&C work notwithstanding).

I know you're out there somewhere Matt!  Step into the light and let us know what you think!  We won't tell anyone... promise.. no Drama.. We promise!   ;)

Edited by Sly Botts

I've become very fond of City and Colour over the years. The albums are all strong and it's nice they seem to come out at a consistent pace. He strikes me as similar to Matt in that regard... he's always creating and recording. There's a level of consistent quality there that is very admirable. 

The latest album didn't grab me right away but (like the best albums) it's grown on me quite a bit.

I too have fallen in love with Dallas's back catalog by way of If I Should Go Before You...man, what a solid record...easily one of my most listened to from the past two years.

Yep a fantastic album.  LP 1 is really excellent as well.  LP 2 and 3 have some good songs. 

Edited by Coochiemudlo