Guest Idioteque

Upcoming Concerts

But yeah, it's going to be pretty amazing. I've held off on seeing a lot of bands and I know I should probably hurry before some of them stop touring.

Same. I never hesitate (anymore) when it comes to MG shows, but for some reason I always would with other artists saying "oh, I'll go next time" or whatever.

Not this year. 2017 I'm saying yes to every concert I want (within reason, so like mostly in or nearby Ottawa.) #yolo

This is turning into an amazing year for shows.  MG, Radiohead, Silversun Pickups, Muse, and Incubus - plus I'm really psyched to see Midnight Oil.  I really didn't think I'd have that chance.

Btw - with Everclear - Art's voice is kinda hit and miss these days, but the current band seems pretty tight.  It won't be 1997 again, but this seems like the right time to see them.

Same. I never hesitate (anymore) when it comes to MG shows, but for some reason I always would with other artists saying "oh, I'll go next time" or whatever.

Not this year. 2017 I'm saying yes to every concert I want (within reason, so like mostly in or nearby Ottawa.) #yolo

Always this.  A couple of years ago, I accidentally-ed myself into seeing something like 17 shows in 40 days.  (I went through a rough patch a few weeks prior -  I was grabbing tickets as they went on sale, more or less as a pick-me-up, without realizing where they fell on the schedule.  My friends just laughed at my constant, "Sorry, got a show that night.")

Only two of them were anything less than great - and it was two of the ones that I thought would be among the best.  (One of them was The Who, who I'd never seen before.  The crowd around me was so terrible that it ruined the evening for me.)  I think my faves were the ones that I went to on a whim, even if I didn't really know their music that well.

I didn't realize the tickets for Midnight Oil went on sale on the 21st. Seems like the Danforth is all sold out. Oh well. I got my Pixies ticket that day so I can't really complain!

The Ottawa Bluesfest lineup looks pretty good this year.

The Ottawa Bluesfest lineup looks pretty good this year.

Yes, and Rockfest in Montebello is looking pretty decent too.

I think the only thing at Bluesfest I'll for sure get a ticket for myself is Sam Roberts, I haven't seen him in a couple years now.

Everything else I'll hold out and see if my client with special needs wants to go again this year because then I don't have to pay, we chill in VIP (the accessible section is now the same as the VIP section) and I'd get paid to go haha. Hard life for me, right? :P

Guest jjazz

One of my favourite albums too! I saw them do a free show at A&B Sound in downtown Vancouver a million years ago. It was epic.

Jealous! It must have been awesome. And that record still holds up big time.

We're honestly so lucky with the amount of shows and tours we're getting in the Toronto area. Maybe it's like this every year but I just don't care for the band's? I don't know. It just seems like the amount of new music I can get into is really dwindling, so I feel like as much as I hate to admit it, I won't be going to live shows very much in the future. So it seems like a very Yolo (ughh) time to check out all these artists that just so happen to be touring right now that I've never seen before.

On that note, I ended up getting 30 dollar Groupon tix to see incubus again. Plus they're touring with Jimmy eat world so I figure that will be be pretty cool to see as well. John Mayer is coming to the amphitheatre again this summer. I fucking love the amphitheatre. But then again, money. Ehhhhh.

Guest jjazz

I like Incubus and Jimmy Eat World but have never seen them live. Would you say either/both of them put in good live shows? I would like to see more shows but as you say it gets expensive. Plus I've moved away from the city now so there will be less opportunity. Although I do plan on checking out the open mic and local bands at my new neighbourhood watering hall. That's free and it could be awesome, who knows. I was listening to The Who today and thinking about how we perceive music based upon the media coverage of the group, etc. And how we can preview every band now online. I think I'd like to take more chances and try some new artists who may be unknown. I will keep anyone interested posted on this experiment! And yes the Everclear show was a lot of fun. It was sort of strange the way they were sort of slotted into a tiny space surrounded by shelves of DVDs and CDs but it worked out okay. They played lots of singles.

I'd say if you're a fan of Incubus and enjoy their music then they put on a great show. Excellent musicianship, really tight band. And they've got some really great records that mean a lot to me, personally.

Jimmy Eat World I've never seen, so I don't know. But I enjoy them enough to be looking forward to them. It'll be a good bill with a nice little sense of throwback to it.

Local music is really important. I don't get out to enough local shows as I'd like, but I have found some great bands that I still follow because of them.

Case in point, I went to see Dave Monks of Tokyo Police Club play a solo show maybe 3 years ago. There wasn't much fanfare and it was pretty low key. It was a great show, but he had a band come up from NYC called Fort Lean to open. There may have been 10 people on the floor watching, but they went at it like there were 500. I never heard of them, and now I love them. One of my favourite bands. So yeah, you gotta seek it out a bit more but you can still find some great gems.

If you guys like incubus I'm not sure if you knew but right around 2011 when they put out the "If Not Now When"    album  they did a thing where they played something to the effect of 5 consecutive days live.  Day 1 was morning view, Day 2 was Make Yourself, Day 3 and 4 were mixes of all the albums, and Day 5 was If Not now when"

I have full pro shot video of all 5 days and audio.  Also the band did a subscription site where you would get live shows from the 2011/2012 tour.  If anyone is interested I also have all of those.  I went to a couple shows and Incubus definitely puts out a great live show.  Youtube Incubus HQ and you can see what I mean.

I also have a huge Jimmy.  Err I mean huge Jimmy Eat World collection.  There used to be a site called simple discourse that had every recorded show available for free plus demos.  I can hook anyone up who's interested.  I would 100% go to this show if you are able to. I promise you will not be disappointed.

Weezer April 5.

I also have a huge Jimmy.  Err I mean huge Jimmy Eat World collection.  There used to be a site called simple discourse that had every recorded show available for free plus demos.  I can hook anyone up who's interested.  I would 100% go to this show if you are able to. I promise you will not be disappointed.

:lol:

So you highly recommend going to a Jimmy Eat World show? I only know their song The Middle. I was under the impression that they cater more to the younger generation. I see they are playing my town on April 28 in smaller, historic venue called the Palace Theatre. I've never seen a concert there before. Or maybe I saw Matt Good play there long time ago and remember the sound system not being good.

Edited by girl

So if you are listening to jimmy eat world here are some must songs

Hear you me- listen to the actual lyrics. It's a song you will sometimes here at funerals. It's a tribute to Mykel and Karli (weezers original fan club president's)

23 -  Amazing song off of the futures album

Sweetness-  Huge radio hit.  Catchy song especially in the summer.

Authority song-  Again catchy tune.

Get It Faster-  when they do this live the energy is off the charts.

If you guys like Weezer Stvlegend  can vouch for me  I have probably 300 live weezer shows.  They are one of my favorite bands and their newest album (the white album)  is incredible.  Cool weezer story, they were playing in Virginia Beach while I was there visiting my brother.  My family went to a mini carnival on the strip and I saw a guy with a weezer VIP lanyard on.  I went over and said hi.  Turns out he was there with River's wife and kids as well as Scott's wife.   They were the nicest people and my 5 yr old actually rode bumper cars with River's kids!!     Again if anyone wants any weezer soundboard live stuff  feel free to hit me up. If it's taped I have it.   They still pull off a great live show!

I just wanted to pop in here and say thanks for the suggestions.

If not know when is a life-changing album for me. I think it's a masterpiece.

I will definitely preview this Incubus album on youtube when I have some time.

It looks like I'm going to the Jimmy Eat World concert in April!. I guess I better start saving money. I just watched all of those songs on youtube. I love love love 23 and Get Right (oops, I clicked on this song, instead of Get it Faster). Suffice it to say, I'm in love with the song Get Right. Hear You Me is a nice song too. I look forward to maybe hearing them live at the Palace Theatre.

That's a very cool Weezer story, foats.

Edited by girl

I saw Jimmy last summer at TURF; they put on a great show, and their technical proficiency is very good live. I find that Jim can lack a little bit of personality at times on stage, but that is just my own personal opinion.

I also saw Jimmy in 2004 when they played on a co-headlining bill with Taking Back Sunday to tour the album Futures. Taking Back Sunday put on one of the best shows I've ever seen and Jimmy was ....disappointing. They played short and Jim himself seemed sick/off ...I think they only played for about 55 minutes. It was a bit strange, in fact, but everyone is entitled to a night off.

Do you have some taking back Sunday songs you recommend? I've never listened to them and I'm always looking for new music.

Also does anyone have any Peter Gabriel or Sting album to recommend? I'm seeing what their solo stuff is all about and it's overwhelming to know where to begin. I'm familiar with genesis and the police already.

My must have songs for jimmy eat world are night drive, goodbye sky harbor, pain, work, my sundown, 23 and for me this is heaven.

They remind me of death cab for cutie. Who happen to also be hit or miss live.

Taking Back Sunday tunes to check out ... Bonus Mosh Pt. II, New American Classic, Ghost Man on Third (Start with GMoT -- great chorale singing at the end). 

Yeah, actually, it's funny you mention Death Cab because they played at TURF with Jimmy Eat World and our boy Matt this past summer and were less than exceptional. I left before they finished because I didn't want to get stuck in crowd traffic.

Guest jjazz

I know hardly anything about Jimmy Eat World, but it will be nice to check out a fresh act without any expectations. I know a couple songs, and I've listened to one of their albums once and I recall enjoying it.

As for incubus, I got into them kind of late. I really took a liking to A Crow Left Of The Murder, and that was kind of the soundtrack for my later highschool years. Their new bass player at the time, Ben Kenney, really inspired me to push myself on the instrument. So I owe a lot of my "skill" to him and that record. I think they really balanced pop and prog rock perfectly, always keeping you on your toes.

If Not Now,When is a terrific record! Very underrated, and very interesting when you look at the process in which it was made and how they reevaluated themselves with the incubus hq promotion leading up to its release. They are super humble and I love their promotion of artistic freedom and just peace and love in general.

I WOULD LOVE A COPY OF THEIR TORONTO SHOW FROM THAT TOUR AT THE MOLSON AMPHITHEATER IF POSSIBLE! I was there, 5th row, and it was spectacular!

In regards to Death Cab, they're also one of my favourite bands. I've seen them many times live, at big venues, small venues, festivals, and they always put on a great show. Though I've never seen them with the new lineup yet since Chris Walla left. And again, the quality of musicianship with those guys are truly outstanding. They've come so far in so many different ways since travelling the indie circuit.

Only ticket I have for an upcoming show right now is Ryan Adams on May 3rd at the Beacon Theater. Last saw him in 2014. Didn't get a great seat but at least I got a ticket to a show at all. It seemed way harder to get this time around than 2014. The first two shows he played in NY back in February sold out in like a nanosecond and then people jacked up the price on Stubhub.

Not a concert, but a show-

I got my sister and I tickets to John Mulaney at the NAC. Very excited. He is hilarious. And friends with Bill Hader (and therefore very cool).

[the first time I heard his Salt N Pepper Diner segment I laughed so hard I cried.]

Edited by emmit643

Guest Idioteque

I missed out on the 10,000 days tour, being my favorite album it stung. This specific tour looks like its just a random run of shows, not for any new secret album being dropped (though its TOOL you never know).

I've read alot of comments about fans being annoyed they've played the same setlist for the past 6 years, but I've never seen them live so I could care less. Maynard's voice is deteriorating fast, he can only sing what he can at his age.

Future APC would be a delight.

My updated/current list:

April 13 - Crash Vegas at Danforth Music Hall

April 23 - Explosions at Rebel

April 25 - Mono at Lee’s Palace

June 10 - Do Make Say Think at Danforth Music Hall

June 11 - Deftones/Rise Against at Molson Amphitheatre

June 22 - Alexisonfire at Danforth

June 28 - Third Eye Blind /Silversun Pickups at Echo

July 18- Muse and 30 Seconds at Molson Amphitheate

December 5- Mogwai at Danforth Music Hall