Guest Idioteque

Upcoming Concerts

I have a ticket to see the Afghan Whigs in Milwaukee at the end of September.  I am confident it is going to be one of the best concerts I will ever see in person.  I know they've been around a long time but I discovered their music in the spring and I can't stop listening to all of it.  Their most recent album, In Spades, is incredible. 

I would love to see them live.

For myself, I have three comedy shows coming up in November - Chris Rock, Jim Jefferies, and the Evil Dead Musical (I think this is like my sixth time I wanna say?!), Mogwai in December, and then in January/Feb (I don't remember haha) I am going to see Lorde.

Hmm, I haven't gotten a country vibe from Pinegrove's vocals. I'm a relatively new fan but they strike me as an evolution of some of the emo rock that I mostly ignored in the mid 2000s. But for some reason when I heard them for the first time earlier this year, and even though I'm now in my 30s now, their music has just kinda struck a chord with me. I like their lyrics and the stories they tell, and just the sound and tone reminds me of when I was a bit younger...I like that.

Totally agree the albums themselves are surprisingly pretty shitty, but the Audiotree Live performance is actually luckily the first thing I heard by them. My friend linked me to it. When you compare that live performance to the studio albums it's like night and day. Very weird how all that energy didn't translate in the studio. But yeah, Pinegrove on Audiotree Live is one of the best performances I've ever heard. I listen to it all the time.

PS My favorite song in that Audiotree performance is Size of the Moon.

Guest Idioteque

Haha same thing! My friend linked me to their audiotree performance. That's where I get most of my new music from, they capture alot of magical performances. 

I saw Feist on Sunday night for the first time and she was absolutely fantastic! Played for 2.5 hours and had two encores. On record she's got that lounge singer/jazzy/folk vibe, but live she's pretty much Buffalo Springfield* reincarnate.

*Edit autocorrect originally set that to Buffalo Springsteen hahah

Edited by andydanger85

Pixies were amazing. I freaking love Massey Hall.

Emma, I tried looking for you but I didn't see you! I'm glad to you had fun! My seats I'm pretty sure were identical to what you had for the Acoustic Banter show, judging by your pic lol

One of the best shows I've seen them do, aside from the Doolittle anniversary tour. And the Horseshoe Tavern surprise show (because that was just way too cool). But last night was amazing. Black Francis didn't say a single word to the crowd all night! That's when you know it was a good pixies show :P

Emma, I tried looking for you but I didn't see you! I'm glad to you had fun! My seats I'm pretty sure were identical to what you had for the Acoustic Banter show, judging by your pic lol

One of the best shows I've seen them do, aside from the Doolittle anniversary tour. And the Horseshoe Tavern surprise show (because that was just way too cool). But last night was amazing. Black Francis didn't say a single word to the crowd all night! That's when you know it was a good pixies show :P

I was right in front of Joey! Such a great show!

Also no setlist. There was a mic at the back that was only for their IEMs where he'd decide what was next (I'm sure there was a loose mental setlist at least, but there were definitely several quick changes "oh? We're doing that? Okay" moments. Pretty cool.)

I'd never been before. So the fact that there was zero banter was really bizarre to me! But I liked it. It was down to business!

Also Joey mouths the distortion sounds that he's making on the guitar as he's making them. Which I found very quirky and entertaining!

Joey Santiago is the reason I still play guitar, honestly. He's so creative, his parts shone through on every Pixies song. Really glad you got to enjoy watching on his side.

Yeah, their sets are crazy. Black Francis will then to Joey or David and do a quick wave (to signal the fast version of wave of mutilation) or form a "U" with his fingers to tell Joey to start playing U Mass. They're legends. So fun to watch.

Ps that was THE best Vamos solo I've ever seen him do. He was so on that night.

Guest Idioteque

I can't wait for A Perfect Circle later this month, if you told me I'd be seeing APC & Tool in the same year I would never believed you. Now if we can only get some new music!

Love the idea of this thread.  All shows in Seattle unless otherwise stated.

Last week I had two really good shows in three nights

09/27 Janet Jackson @ Key Arena

09/29 Ben Folds @ The Moore

Here's what I have coming up.

10/22 - Broken Social Scene @ The Neptune

11/05 - Garth Brooks w/ Trisha Yearwood @ Tacoma Dome (Tacoma, WA)

11/12 - Third Eye Blind @ Showbox SoDo

11/16 - Our Lady Peace @ The Neptune

11/24 - Tori Amos @ The Paramount

01/25 - Josh Ritter @ The Neptune

04/13 - Kenny G @ Jazz Alley

I haven't seen Josh Ritter live since the "To the Dogs..." tour and he played in a church in Calgary. You could tell throughout the whole show that he was just loving being able to do what he does and it was a fantastic show!

I impulse bought tickets to see Louise Burns and Mise en Scene on the 19th. Vancouver and area folks, if you wanna hear some wicked dream pop, I highly suggest you come to this show.

I haven't seen Josh Ritter live since the "To the Dogs..." tour and he played in a church in Calgary. You could tell throughout the whole show that he was just loving being able to do what he does and it was a fantastic show!

I've seen Josh Ritter in the neighborhood of a dozen times at this point, and that hits it perfectly on the head.  His joy is infectious live, and he really is one of my favorite songwriters.  I love that he puts out tab books that are really easy to follow and play along to when I'm picking up my guitar.  He and Matt Good are in my top five all time musicians. 

Oh, and I just got a ticket today to go see Depeche Mode tomorrow at Key Arena, so that's added to my list.

Edited by nicholaus