Guest Idioteque

Upcoming Concerts

They're doing it Vancouver as well so it looks like a tour. LETTERKENNY IS REALLY GOOD EVERYONE SHOULD WATCH IT.

So I missed the Louise Burns show last week due to massive anxiety which left me basically confined to my bed after I got home from work that day, so that sucked.

I made it to Slowdive tonight and that was one of the best shows I've seen. The band was on point, the soundscapes were incredible, and the visuals were 2nd only to Sigur Ros (and I honestly don't really care all that much about light shows and visuals). And for a good portion of the set, guess who I was standing near?

Louise Burns *sobbing*

i saw one of the sets of this. Disappointed they didn't do the whole album.  They have 2 new unreleased songs they debuted though so at least there's that.

Yea, I was hoping for the whole album as well.  I guess I can understand the casual fan not being super interested in hearing all the songs but wasn't the whole point of the tour to "recreate" the album.  

Not super related, but one of my favourite shows, Letterkenny, is doing a live thing on St Patrick's Day here in London.  Going to try for tickets.

They're doing it Vancouver as well so it looks like a tour. LETTERKENNY IS REALLY GOOD EVERYONE SHOULD WATCH IT.

So I missed the Louise Burns show last week due to massive anxiety which left me basically confined to my bed after I got home from work that day, so that sucked.

I made it to Slowdive tonight and that was one of the best shows I've seen. The band was on point, the soundscapes were incredible, and the visuals were 2nd only to Sigur Ros (and I honestly don't really care all that much about light shows and visuals). And for a good portion of the set, guess who I was standing near?

Louise Burns *sobbing*

Letterkenny is a gift to Canadians. Hopefully I'll dangle some tickets ... a little toey, maybe a clapper ...ya bud

Anyone else going to this?

I rarely pop in to threads outside of the MG section but I'm glad I did because I had NO idea that an In Loving Memory Of 20th Anniversary Tour was in the works.  I typically miss local concert announcements and thought for sure this was already onsale and sold out but am pleasantly surprised to see that neither has happened and I can make an effort to get to this.  Count me going to one of the Edmonton dates!

James,   I'l buy first round!!  Do you live in PGH also?

No...I'm up in Cleveland...so it's really a matter of Pittsburgh or Detroit and the date works out better for Pittsburgh...love the art museum there as well.

I just looked this place up and it seems like a bit out in the suburbs?

Got my tickets for Foo Fighters! Here in Edmonton. September is a long ways away....

Edit: Nov 16,

Okay I've now added the Saturday Feb 24th Big Wreck show to my upcoming list, as well as Thursday, March 29th for Lights (i was waiting to see what MGs dates would be because I was fearing a conflict, but luckily he is just before that in same week.)

I'll probably only go to one of the MG/OLP shows because i've now spent a lot of money in one shot

Edited by PlasticSoldier

Went to Death From Above in Edmonton last night (November 23).  Haven't seen the guys live since their 2005 (ish?) tour and they were still able to put on a blazing set.  They did a decent mix of new and old and the hardly took any breaks during their 90 minute set.  I'll be at the same venue next week for Rural Alberta Advantage which I'm pretty excited for (never seen them live before).

If anyone is interested in the DFA set you can get the full concert at Dime or listen to a single song on Soundcloud.

Back to back posts because I've had a pretty good week.  Saw Rural Alberta Advantage for the first time last night (November 30) and they surpassed my expectations.  I've been a casual fan of them for a while but 2017 is when I went deep in to RAA and jumped at the chance to see them live.  I won't miss any of their future Edmonton stops because the band played with high energy and the crowd did a fantastic job singing along back.  I'm surprised these guys aren't more noticeable on the music scene but they are doing a great job and hope they keep putting out music and going on tour. 

Just like last week, if anyone is interested in the RAA set you can get the full concert at Dime or listen to a single song (Frank AB) on Soundcloud.

Haha same thing! My friend linked me to their audiotree performance. That's where I get most of my new music from, they capture alot of magical performances. 

So I didn't get to go see Pinegrove because their tour was cancelled after the lead singer posted a lengthy letter on Facebook saying he was accused of sexual coercion and going to get therapy.  :colbert:  You have to read the letter it's kind of bizarre.

Anyway so I didn't get to see Pinegrove this week as planned, but I do want to mention another concert I went to last Saturday. So it's not "upcoming" but I'd like to mention it in case anybody finds this worth checking out on spotify or whatever. I saw Christopher O'Riley for the first time. I've been a fan for many years. He is a classically trained pianist that covers Radiohead, Nick Drake, Elliot Smith, Tori Amos, Nirvana, Pink Floyd, Guided by Voices, the list goes on. He plays a lot of classical music too but he has several cover albums of his own arrangements of contemporary music...basically stuff that he likes.

The show was in a little concert hall just north of NYC. There were mostly older people there that didn't know his work necessarily, but as I said I've been a fan since freshman year of college so 14 years. He was great. After the show I asked a question during Q&A (and part of his answer involved the plot to the Raisins episode of South Park)...and after the Q&A he went out to the merch table where he signed several items for me, including a CD I bought 14 years ago. And we talked a bit and he was just an incredible guy. I would just like to recommend that you guys check him out.

Got my tickets for Foo Fighters! Here in Edmonton. September is a long ways away....

I downloaded the newest Foo Fighters album (after skipping the one before that) and I have to say I really like it. It has some cool classic rock vibes throughout.

Edited by Gomo

So I didn't get to go see Pinegrove because their tour was cancelled after the lead singer posted a lengthy letter on Facebook saying he was accused of sexual coercion and going to get therapy.  :colbert:  You have to read the letter it's kind of bizarre.

Anyway so I didn't get to see Pinegrove this week as planned, but I do want to mention another concert I went to last Saturday. So it's not "upcoming" but I'd like to mention it in case anybody finds this worth checking out on spotify or whatever. I saw Christopher O'Riley for the first time. I've been a fan for many years. He is a classically trained pianist that covers Radiohead, Nick Drake, Elliot Smith, Tori Amos, Nirvana, Pink Floyd, Guided by Voices, the list goes on. He plays a lot of classical music too but he has several cover albums of his own arrangements of contemporary music...basically stuff that he likes.

The show was in a little concert hall just north of NYC. There were mostly older people there that didn't know his work necessarily, but as I said I've been a fan since freshman year of college so 14 years. He was great. After the show I asked a question during Q&A (and part of his answer involved the plot to the Raisins episode of South Park)...and after the Q&A he went out to the merch table where he signed several items for me, including a CD I bought 14 years ago. And we talked a bit and he was just an incredible guy. I would just like to recommend that you guys check him out.

I downloaded the newest Foo Fighters album (after skipping the one before that) and I have to say I really like it. It has some cool classic rock vibes throughout.

I love those cover versions.  Strung Out on .... is a favourite of mine.  Especially the Radiohead stuff.

There's been a few cool covers on the first season Westworld.  I recommend that soundtrack too.

The Gaslight Anthem are reuniting for the 10th anniversary of releasing The '59 Sound, and they're actually playing a show in Toronto in August!  Ordering my tickets this morning.

I ended up getting preoccupied at work and totally forgot to order my tickets for the Friday night show.

Luckily they added a second show on the Thursday, and I got tickets for that one.  So excited to see one of my favourite bands play such a great album live.