Guest Idioteque

Upcoming Concerts

20 hours ago, andydanger85 said:

Did you go to the show two years ago at Lee's?? I went right as I was getting super into them and it was sooooooooooo good. Loud and high energy and ...wow

I missed that one.... I saw them at the Phoenix maybe four years ago, and was blown away.  I've been a fan of theirs for a long time, and I was so excited when they finally came over.  It was when they had five members around the release of Unravelling.  I'm still kicking myself for only buying a hoodie that night, and not the vinyl.

I've been waiting for a new album from them for a long time, and I hope there's news coming around the tour.

5 hours ago, hoogie said:

I missed that one.... I saw them at the Phoenix maybe four years ago, and was blown away.  I've been a fan of theirs for a long time, and I was so excited when they finally came over.  It was when they had five members around the release of Unravelling.  I'm still kicking myself for only buying a hoodie that night, and not the vinyl.

I've been waiting for a new album from them for a long time, and I hope there's news coming around the tour.

In the tour announcement video on their instagram, it certainly sounds like a new tune. Don't recognize it otherwise, but I could be wrong.

On 7/17/2018 at 11:57 AM, andydanger85 said:

In the tour announcement video on their instagram, it certainly sounds like a new tune. Don't recognize it otherwise, but I could be wrong.

You're right, it's gotta be a new song.  Like it, whatever it is.

There's a new song on YouTube from a while ago that's pretty good.

On July 18, 2018 at 8:44 AM, hoogie said:

You're right, it's gotta be a new song.  Like it, whatever it is.

There's a new song on YouTube from a while ago that's pretty good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QdXn2jNJ9tQ

"Our new album, 'The More I Sleep The Less I Dream', will be released September 14th. Preorder your copy from the link in our bio. 
PLUS, head over to Brooklyn Vegan right now for an exclusive stream of our first single, 'Hanging In'. Link available in our Instagram stories."

I followed the link ... vinyl available at shows!

19 hours ago, andydanger85 said:

"Our new album, 'The More I Sleep The Less I Dream', will be released September 14th. Preorder your copy from the link in our bio. 
PLUS, head over to Brooklyn Vegan right now for an exclusive stream of our first single, 'Hanging In'. Link available in our Instagram stories."

I followed the link ... vinyl available at shows!

Love the new song.  Can't get it out of my head.

http://www.brooklynvegan.com/we-were-promised-jetpacks-releasing-new-album-stream-hanging-in/

The vinyl looks cool too.  There's an awesome bundle that you can pre-order, but it's 60 pounds with shipping, so 120 CAD, which is too steep for me.

I'm hoping that since Toronto is one of the earlier shows, that they'll have a good selection of merch.  I really would like some stickers that are in the bundle, and the orange vinyl is awesome.

On July 20, 2018 at 8:42 AM, hoogie said:

Love the new song.  Can't get it out of my head.

http://www.brooklynvegan.com/we-were-promised-jetpacks-releasing-new-album-stream-hanging-in/

The vinyl looks cool too.  There's an awesome bundle that you can pre-order, but it's 60 pounds with shipping, so 120 CAD, which is too steep for me.

I'm hoping that since Toronto is one of the earlier shows, that they'll have a good selection of merch.  I really would like some stickers that are in the bundle, and the orange vinyl is awesome.

Yeah! Me too. That's why I mentioned the self-distribution, because I would like to own one as well haha. Usually bands based in the UK, I wait until they tour in the hope that they bring vinyl with them. Had to wait three years for Yndi Halda to do this, for instance, but it was worth the wait - they released their most recent record "Under Summer" on "cookies and cream" coloured vinyl. It's gorgeous.

Slightly related, but Twilight Sad is also touring, if you've heard of them...they are very much in the same sonic space as WWPJ - broody, crescendo-ey, really fucking loud, and unabashed Scottish accented singing!

If you haven't heard of them, here's a link:

Link to the show (at Velvet Underground, which is a heavy metal/industrial club, weirdly enough) : 

https://www.ticketweb.ca/event/the-twilight-sad-the-velvet-underground-tickets/8539025

• Like 1

16 hours ago, andydanger85 said:

Yeah! Me too. That's why I mentioned the self-distribution, because I would like to own one as well haha. Usually bands based in the UK, I wait until they tour in the hope that they bring vinyl with them. Had to wait three years for Yndi Halda to do this, for instance, but it was worth the wait - they released their most recent record "Under Summer" on "cookies and cream" coloured vinyl. It's gorgeous.

Slightly related, but Twilight Sad is also touring, if you've heard of them...they are very much in the same sonic space as WWPJ - broody, crescendo-ey, really fucking loud, and unabashed Scottish accented singing!

If you haven't heard of them, here's a link:

Link to the show (at Velvet Underground, which is a heavy metal/industrial club, weirdly enough) : 

https://www.ticketweb.ca/event/the-twilight-sad-the-velvet-underground-tickets/8539025

They actually opened for WWJP at the Phoenix when I saw them last.  I like most of their stuff, but they sounded horrible live.  I think it was the sound mixing.  Just fuzzy and bad.

6 hours ago, hoogie said:

They actually opened for WWJP at the Phoenix when I saw them last.  I like most of their stuff, but they sounded horrible live.  I think it was the sound mixing.  Just fuzzy and bad.

Really? Shit. Hopefully the fine folks at VU figure it out ...

20 hours ago, andydanger85 said:

Really? Shit. Hopefully the fine folks at VU figure it out ...

Maybe it was just that one show, but my buddy and I were both worried about the sound quality for WWPJ after that opening set.

5 hours ago, hoogie said:

Maybe it was just that one show, but my buddy and I were both worried about the sound quality for WWPJ after that opening set.

Yeah, for sure. As one would. I've heard their shows are pretty excessively loud a la Mogwai, but not the quality thing.

• Like 1

Saw The Gaslight Anthem on Thursday night at Rebel in Toronto.  One of my favorite concerts ever.  It's hard to top that one, especially since they aren't really together anymore.

Matt Mays opened up and was fantastic.  He's one of those people whose stuff I really like but I've never actually seen live.

I've got Foo Fighters coming up next month, finally! haha
Not much on my horizon so far. Excited for Oct 20th getting to see a reunion of Static In Stereo. 

I did sneak in a show just passed on July 27th to see ACTORS. (https://www.facebook.com/actors1984/
Last time I saw the singer for that band (Jason Corbett) was in BC in 2004 for the Die Popstar presented Limblifter reunion shows. Jason's band at that time was called Speed To Kill.
Hung out with the band a bit before the show, which was super awesome, got Jason to sign my Speed To Kill CD. Only took me 14 years to get a 16 year old CD signed! yeah!

It's been a good summer. I saw Radiohead on July 11th, Smashing Pumpkins on August 1st, and Regina Spektor on August 7th.

Upcoming I have:

FM-84 - October 11th - https://youtu.be/rSGnNMnvM6M (Vintage 1980s electronic/synth. Think 1980s Tycho with some kickass vocals)

Goo Goo Dolls - October 15th ("Dizzy Up The Girl" Album Tour)

Young the Giant - November 13th

The Paper Kites - November 30th - https://youtu.be/gkQFP1rG7wg | https://youtu.be/7Fi4T-yR8tM | (A mellow Australian indie band)

Sister Sparrow - December 1st (Maybe, I haven't actually bought a ticket for this yet) - https://youtu.be/AEGjh216pUs (Great vocals, great horn section, great guitars)

Edited by Gomo

On 7/25/2018 at 5:25 PM, andydanger85 said:

Yeah, for sure. As one would. I've heard their shows are pretty excessively loud a la Mogwai, but not the quality thing.

Show's less than a week away!!

The new album is fantastic.  There's a few songs that I love already..

On 9/3/2018 at 5:07 PM, PlasticSoldier said:

Foo Fighters for tomorrow just got rescheduled for Oct 22 due to Dave being sick. I wasn't going to be back from BC yet from seeing Todd Kerns(/Static In Stereo)..

I don't want to miss Foo Fighters but that just may not work out for me

Looks like Chad couldn't make the rescheduled Foo Fighters date but I did.  I didn't have tickets to the original sold out date in September and was diligent and monitored Kijiji for the last month looking for a reasonably priced floor ticket to show up and I found one.  I haven't seen the Foo Fighters since the late 90's (Edgefest) and in two decades they haven't slowed down a single bit. 

Looking at setlist.fm prior to the show I was disappointed they were only doing 21-22 songs but what was missing from that is that their set clocked in at nearly three hours.  Last night it was 2h50m and it was common to have some songs go for double or triple their runtime (Pretender was 12 minutes, Best of You was 11).  I also liked that their encore wasn't a quick "off and on" either.  They were off stage for over 7 minutes and it was close to 10 minutes before they played again.  As Dave was running around, getting all areas of the arena in to the show I kept thinking how they are the definition of "entertainers".  

It wouldn't be a concert rundown without some links, so for those curious I have a song sample on SoundCloud and the full show has been posted on Dimeadozen:

Next up for me is Jack White in November (saw the White Stripes five [seven if you include attending two secret shows in 2007] times in 2005-2007) but first time seeing Jack as a solo artist so I'm pretty excited for that.  

• Upvote 1

On 10/23/2018 at 9:33 AM, gursky said:

Next up for me is Jack White in November (saw the White Stripes five [seven if you include attending two secret shows in 2007] times in 2005-2007) but first time seeing Jack as a solo artist so I'm pretty excited for that.  

Yup, that was last night and it was pretty amazing.  I can see some people may be put off by the "no cellphone" policy but it was really refreshing.  Once inside the wait was a bit slow but it's a good trade off to not have bright screens everywhere.  To me Jack White will always be White Stripes and I enjoy his solo work but my preference is always to go back to "the old days" with Jack.  

Even with tightened security I still recorded and have finished tracking out the show.  If any are curious here are some links you can use:

• Upvote 1

I'm seeing Sharon Van Etten next Saturday (February 9th) but that's my last concert for a while. In the fall I saw a few shows, including The Paper Kites (Australian indie band), Young the Giant w/ Lights, FM-84 (electronic retro 80s), and the Goo Goo Dolls. My wife and I are having a baby in April so that's why I don't have anything else on the horizon (I had tickets to this indie band from Wisconsin called Dead Horses but can't go because that's the night of our first birthing class). I do hope that whenever Ryan Adams plays NYC this year I can get out for the night. He's releasing three albums this year!

Edited by Gomo

Guest Rhu8ar8Pi3

Upcoming I have:

06/21 & 06/22 – Matthew Good, Bif Naked, Big Wreck, The Watchmen @ Beaumont Blues & Roots Festival

07/10 – Headstones, Billy Idol, Blondie, Doug and the Slugs @ Roundup Music Fest

07/12 – Wil, Amanda Marshall, Bryan Adams, Odds @ Oxford Stomp

I haven’t seen Wil since he opened up for Matthew Good at Cowboys during the White Light Rock & Roll Revue 2004 tour. That should be good.

07/14 – Death Cab for Cutie @ The Coca Cola Stage, Calgary Stampede

08/10 - Jann Arden @ Badlands Amphitheatre, Drumheller (outdoor stage)

Edited by Rhu8ar8Pi3

Weyes Blood - August 14th

Carly Rae Jepsen - August 29

K.Flay - Sept 9

In the last year or so I've seen: Laura Stevenson, Margaret Glaspy, Louise Burns, Trailerhawk, Now Now, Boygenius (Julien Baker/Phoebe Bridgers/Lucy Dacus, who also played their own sets during that show), Matt Good acoustic tour, Kina Grannis and some others that I probably can't remember.

Guest Rhu8ar8Pi3

Moist - August 24th. The last time I saw David Usher was circa 2001. This should be interesting. I hope he sings Billie Jean.

Tegan and Sara - October 10th. I look forward to hearing their Calgary high school stories,

Jann Arden - November 8th

Matthew Good - hopefully there will be a tour in the fall/winter