Outtahere

Small Things You've Noticed

I saw this game on another group forum and I thought we could do it here.

Matt's records are full of hidden little easter eggs or peculiar things. If you've noticed something, just post it here.

I'll start.

• On "I'm a Window", between the crash and the "Diving in and out of trash" part, you can hear the loop Matt used in the background of The Boy Who Could Explode.
  • For some strange reason, Matt renamed A Single Spark Explosion to A Single Explosion even though the lyrics still say A Single Spark Explosion.
  • Took me a while to hear it but at the end of Suburbia, he sings "We are there"
  • Similarly, at the end of Sort of a Protest Song, he sings "Baby, no pain, no gain".
  • We know Matt likes the G, G/D, Em chord progression. But he seems to enjoy the Em, C chords as well as they are the chords used on I Miss New Wave, Blue Skies Over Badlands, Champions of Nothing, Non Populus and, I believe, Harridan

Your turn! :P

At the end of Giant, before Hello Time Bomb begins there's a quick beat of the phaser noise used for the "do do do do do's" in HTB. There's also some finger picking going on before the song starts.

This is a famous one I think but in Truffle Pigs, the last time he says "Damn, I'll bring them to their knees", he actually says "Jenn, I'll bring them to their knees".

In the live version of Alert Status Red, he says "...in the dictionary under the ENGLISH F", whereas in the recorded version he just says "In the dictionary under "f"'

In All You Sons And Daughters, when he says "it's time to get up", it sounds like he wants to say "wake up", which is the modified verse in the next stanza. Subtle, but you can hear it if you listen closely.

Someone said it recently on here, but the beginning chord progression of Jenni's Song is reminiscent of "More Than A Feeling" by Boston.  They said it and now whenever I hear the song, I can't un-listen it. Haha. There's more, but that's it for now....

When I put my cd of Beautiful Midnight to upload into iTunes on my desktop it always registers I Miss New Wave as "Deep 6ix"

Not sure if iTunes thinks it the American one? Cause it's on that version of BM right?

Funny little glitch.

Also how Matt always puts on his glasses for the end of Weapon live.

I think it's homage to the video for it. But who knows. But he always does it every time. Chills.

Edited by emmit643

I think it's homage to the video for it. But who knows. But he always does it every time. Chills.

Never really thought about that until you mentioned it.  I wasn't sure if it's because he usually plays Weapon before the encore, so he puts his glasses on so he can go backstage without doubling back to grab them when the song is done.

When I put my cd of Beautiful Midnight to upload into iTunes on my desktop it always registers I Miss New Wave as "Deep 6ix"

Not sure if iTunes thinks it the American one? Cause it's on that version of BM right?

Funny little glitch.

Does he? I never noticed.

At the end of "Champions of Nothing" I believe he mutters something like, "I got a fucking headache" or something to that note.. I don't have the ability to listen just now to confirm.

Yeah he says "Fuck I got a headache".

• Upvote 1

Again, I'm not sure this counts, but I love the intro to "Flashdance II" where someone says:  "I'm a very naughty monkey and I really think this band is really shit.  Uh huh. I am naughty" and then the band members talking saying: 

Matt- "Dude just forget it"

Other person(anybody know whose voice this is?)-"(laughter)You slammed me bud" 

Matt-"You're fired.  I told you. We..They really..We really f&%k...I really f&%kin' hate this band.  They suck"

Probably my all time favourite intro to a Matt Good song.

Again, I'm not sure this counts, but I love the intro to "Flashdance II" where someone says:  "I'm a very naughty monkey and I really think this band is really shit.  Uh huh. I am naughty" and then the band members talking saying: 

Matt- "Dude just forget it"

Other person(anybody know whose voice this is?)-"(laughter)You slammed me bud" 

Matt-"You're fired.  I told you. We..They really..We really f&%k...I really f&%kin' hate this band.  They suck"

Probably my all time favourite intro to a Matt Good song.

There was actually an extended version of that.  I used to have it.  It says something like "I'm a very naughty Monkey, and I really think this band is really shit.. uhh huh I am naughty".

Matt:  "Forget it, you can't even fucking slam my band right.. you're fired"

Guy: "You slam the band."

Matt: "I told you, it's.. I really fuck.. I really fucking hate this band they suck".

Something like that any-ways.

At the end of Giant, before Hello Time Bomb begins there's a quick beat of the phaser noise used for the "do do do do do's" in HTB. There's also some finger picking going on before the song starts.

My favourite thing about this is that he also says "Dave"... almost like Dave was screwing around with the phaser and Matt was trying to get his attention.

At the end of "Strange Days" from "In A Coma", there is a radio in the background, kind of like a police radio, from about 4:05 onwards.  It's mostly unintelligible to me.  Anyone know what they're saying?  Also some background sound effects, and then Matt saying "roll" at which point the track ends and kicks into "Prime Time Deliverance" right away.  I'm pretty sure the "roll" is attached to "Strange Days", though. 

Same thing in Change of Season (a clicking sound)...

Really? Where?

You know, the glitch, or pressing issue that everyone is having with HM on vinyl, is gonna be considered for this list in a few years, lol!

I'm not aware of this one, I'm gonna have to search a bit. But the omission of Omissions of the Omen (pun 100% intended :P) on the LOTGA remastered vinyl will also be considered for this list :P

There was actually an extended version of that.  I used to have it.  It says something like "I'm a very naughty Monkey, and I really think this band is really shit.. uhh huh I am naughty".

Matt:  "Forget it, you can't even fucking slam my band right.. you're fired"

Guy: "You slam the band."

Matt: "I told you, it's.. I really fuck.. I really fucking hate this band they suck".

Something like that any-ways.

Yeah that was from the version that was streaming from mgb.com in 2000.

I love the "Cool" at the end of Prime Time Deliverance (the Rooms version), as well as the little sample at the end of the song, "for freedom or democracy".

That side of In A Coma is fantastic in general.

That's the kind of thing I love especially when he records the way he did on Rooms and Loser Anthems but also on regular records (like the aforementioned "Fuck I got a headache" from HM).