Outtahere

Small Things You've Noticed

Dave was technically good but his sounds were sometimes too "noisy" as opposed to being melodic. Sometimes it made it great, like the Apparitions solo but, in a case like Load Me Up, I always feel silly playing that "wak wak wak wak" lead part when I'm playing by myself. I think Matt's rethinking of it in 2003 was way better and didn't take anything away from the song. It's a shame he went back to the previous version.

The Deep Six example though is very true but I always thought that it could have been influenced by the fact that they were playing half a step down and it didn't sound as good as on the record, but that was just a theory :P

But there are loads of songs where Dave's lead guitar is perfect for the song. One has to bear in mind that MGB's songs had a different style altogether than what Matt does as a solo artist. 

I think Matt has become a better guitar player since MGB broke up and you can actually hear his evolution during the years. The lead guitars on Avalanche are very simple and you can see Matt enjoyed trying to play a la Jonny Greenwood. He was definitely building his own style. But hearing the recent demos starting with LOES, it's clear that he became better. But then you watch his play live with Stu, Christian or Jimmy and you can see they are better technically than Matt or even Dave for that matter when it comes to lead. I'm always impressed when I see a guitar player playing as if he's doing nothing, like his guitar is an extension of his body or something. This phrase sounds weird but I think you get it. :P

Guest Idioteque

I like that last comment. Its like when you play guitar & watch TV, your hands just take over. Watching a guitarist go an entire set looking that comfortable is a rarity.

Dave might be a bit of a dick but he brought important things to the music.  Matt and him may have clashed a lot but I think that also fed the angst in the band and the music which helped make it great.   Terrible experiences have led to many great records.  There's a reason why young angry men make most of the best rock music and middle-aged women not so much (that's not to say angry women can't make great rock music, they're just generally less angry/aggressive than young men).   Matt has said recording AOB was a horrific experience, but I think that turmoil also helped make it a great rock n roll record.

Guest Idioteque

I didn't like Audio of Being for the longest time because I found it confusing & everywhere. Then, I forget who said the quote "Audio of Being is Dave trying to make Beautiful Midnight & Matt trying to make Avalanche" and it made complete sense. You see the fight between radio-friendly catchy tunes vs deep experimental pieces of art. 

Audio of Being is an interesting record to me, because I think more so than any record in Matt's discography, I need to listen to it as a whole.  I rarely enjoy the songs as stand alones, unless in a live setting.  But I almost never think to myself "Hey, I want to hear Tripoli" my mood is far more frequently "Hey I want to hear Audio of Being."  I'm not entirely sure why that is, the album just has a good flow to it and the songs are sort of linear.  

I didn't like Audio of Being for the longest time because I found it confusing & everywhere. Then, I forget who said the quote "Audio of Being is Dave trying to make Beautiful Midnight & Matt trying to make Avalanche" and it made complete sense. You see the fight between radio-friendly catchy tunes vs deep experimental pieces of art. 

That quote sums it up perfectly! The Audio of Being has great songs and I actually like it. There are somes places where Dave's influence can be heard and makes the song great like Tripoli for example. But that's the best description I've seen of the record. 

I remember Matt wanted the whole credit situation to end already with that record. I was running the French mgb.com website and I had put the album description a bit before its release so, knowing which songs were going to be credited to the whole band, I just put the rest as "Good/Genn". I promptly got an email from Matt telling me to remove that and telling me when the real credits were. It had to be corrected of course given it was an official website but it's the way it was asked and how quickly I got that email that surprised me at the time. It's not like the French website was getting 1000 hits a day. So when he explained the situation publicly I wasn't surprised. The sound of the record also made sense then because we knew Matt was trying to go one way and Dave was going another way.

Audio of Being is an interesting record to me, because I think more so than any record in Matt's discography, I need to listen to it as a whole.  I rarely enjoy the songs as stand alones, unless in a live setting.  But I almost never think to myself "Hey, I want to hear Tripoli" my mood is far more frequently "Hey I want to hear Audio of Being."  I'm not entirely sure why that is, the album just has a good flow to it and the songs are sort of linear.  

To me it's the complete opposite. Beautiful Midnight is a record that I feel flows and can be listened to either as a whole or song by song. The Audio of Being for me is not a record I like listening to as a whole. But some of the songs are amazing individually.

I remember Matt wanted the whole credit situation to end already with that record. I was running the French mgb.com website and I had put the album description a bit before its release so, knowing which songs were going to be credited to the whole band, I just put the rest as "Good/Genn". I promptly got an email from Matt telling me to remove that and telling me when the real credits were. It had to be corrected of course given it was an official website but it's the way it was asked and how quickly I got that email that surprised me at the time. It's not like the French website was getting 1000 hits a day. So when he explained the situation publicly I wasn't surprised. The sound of the record also made sense then because we knew Matt was trying to go one way and Dave was going another way.

Dave might be a bit of a dick but he brought important things to the music.  Matt and him may have clashed a lot but I think that also fed the angst in the band and the music which helped make it great.   Terrible experiences have led to many great records.  There's a reason why young angry men make most of the best rock music and middle-aged women not so much (that's not to say angry women can't make great rock music, they're just generally less angry/aggressive than young men).   Matt has said recording AOB was a horrific experience, but I think that turmoil also helped make it a great rock n roll record.

I can imagine those two in the same room would likely be a dicey situation. It has awkward written all over it.

This is not true of course in every instance, and its only my opinion even for when I do think its true, but the push and pull thing seems to give some great output for me.  Maybe not so much for the guys making it.  My favorite period of the Rolling Stones was when they had Mick Taylor, which went sour.  Even heavier bands like Megadeth, I still think there is something missing without guitarist Marty Friedman.  And then of course sometimes I wonder if its just nostalgia and its all in my head.  So yeah, would love to see Genn reunite with Matt to see if there's anything there still or to do another all out rock album. Then again, if Matt decided to do another all out rock album, would he be needed?  I don't think that's been a focus of his. I'm just ramblin i guess

Guest Idioteque

Idk maybe Dave will play during the Beautiful Midnight tour? Least that can have all original members.

I dont think there's anything Dave could bring to the table that Matt couldn't do himself if they were in the position to write together again. imo

Also #Friedman4life

Idk maybe Dave will play during the Beautiful Midnight tour? Least that can have all original members.

I dont think there's anything Dave could bring to the table that Matt couldn't do himself if they were in the position to write together again. imo

Also #Friedman4life

Nah, not gonna my friend :P

Matt's already given many example of how he and Dave are never gonna be in any kind of relationship, professional or personal, even again. If anything, I think the reedition of some of the songs was supposed not only to be for the fun of it but also acted as a kind of reheasal for them to learn them. That way the band could learn the songs Matt doesn't play (unlike Giant, Time Bomb, Strange Day, Load Me Up and The Future is X-Rated). 

Nah, not gonna my friend :P

Matt's already given many example of how he and Dave are never gonna be in any kind of relationship, professional or personal, even again. If anything, I think the reedition of some of the songs was supposed not only to be for the fun of it but also acted as a kind of reheasal for them to learn them. That way the band could learn the songs Matt doesn't play (unlike Giant, Time Bomb, Strange Day, Load Me Up and The Future is X-Rated). 

That's really too bad.  It's really too bad that they can't/couldn't sort things out.  In my opinion, they really had something special going.  Sometimes you get a couple of guys together and its just like magic and nothing they do outside of that collaboration hits the same mark.  Despite the differences between members and whatever happened, the MGB had something going.  I think if they all got back together and did another album, it would be amazing.  

Sometimes people can not like each other at all, but do great work together.  It's just that both party's have to put their personal issues aside and make it happen.   Think of the money they'd probably make doing a reunion album and tour. *sigh* Oh well.  One can dream.  (I never got to see MGB live.  Only MG).

Edited by Sly Botts

Think of the money they'd probably make doing a reunion album and tour. *sigh* Oh well.  One can dream.  (I never got to see MGB live.  Only MG).

Aww, you missed out.

I saw MGB live once, and it was out of this world. That concert night alone turned me on to rock and roll. It set me straight. Prior to that, I was only listening to mainstream pop music. Thanks to MGB and MG, I was introduced to many great rock, alternative and indie bands over the years.

Edited by girl

Aww, you missed out.

I saw MGB live once, and it was out of this world. That concert night alone turned me on to rock and roll. It set me straight. Prior to that, I was only listening to mainstream pop music. Thanks to MGB and MG, I was introduced to many great rock, alternative and indie bands over the years.

Jealous! I saw them live once at Mel Lastman's square I think. It was a short show and someone pissed Matt off. They left early I think. It's hazy as it was so long ago and I wasn't a fan at that time, just sort of.... there.

That's really too bad.  It's really too bad that they can't/couldn't sort things out.  In my opinion, they really had something special going.  Sometimes you get a couple of guys together and its just like magic and nothing they do outside of that collaboration hits the same mark.  Despite the differences between members and whatever happened, the MGB had something going.  I think if they all got back together and did another album, it would be amazing.  

Sometimes people can not like each other at all, but do great work together.  It's just that both party's have to put their personal issues aside and make it happen.   Think of the money they'd probably make doing a reunion album and tour. *sigh* Oh well.  One can dream.  (I never got to see MGB live.  Only MG).

Has Dave ever said anything about Matt or his time in the band since he left? I don't think any of them, bar for Geoff, have done any interviews or said anything online but I'm curious. 

There was definitely a video of Dave where he talked about Matthew Good Band days.  I remember seeing it probably 7-8 years ago.  It was one of those round table type discussions with a radio station with 54-40 and Dave was asked a few times about stuff from the Matthew Good Band days.  From what I remember his responses were straight forward and positive.  I just looked on youtube quickly but couldn't find it though.