Konez

Juno's Songwriting Circle

On another related note, Ottawa is hosting the Junos in 2017. Fingers crossed for some similar events for me to go to, and of course that Matt will have a new album nominated then too.

Also, my spin studio is doing a can-con Junos playlist for me today (so stoked) so I'm just chilling in the coffee shop next door till class at 9:30. Ready to hear some MG and some Scott Helman and Drake and Biebs and other nominees

Also just wondering, what's the rules for nominations? I'm just wondering because Matt's album came out September of 2015, but Death From Above 1979's came out September of 2014? So like would Matt's potentially be up next year too? Cause it hasn't been out as long. Like it makes sense I guess because if you're album comes out in September there's not too much of that year left.

CBC​ radio is broadcasting the entire concert across the country on a program called Canada Live next week. It will be on CBC Radio 1 next Friday and CBC Radio 2 the following Monday.

http://music.cbc.ca/#!/Canada-Live

What a wonderful way to spend a sunny Sunday afternoon, chilling to great music and listening to interesting and funny stories. I also enjoyed being introduced to artists I've never of before. Matt put on a great performance as usual. He sang Hospital Music and Apparitions. I loved hearing Apparitions in the Jack Singer Concert Hall. At one point, he sang with no guitar. You could hear a pin drop. The audience was so quiet; it was like I was the only one in the room. It was impressive.

Wow, Alex Cuba is extremely talented. I can't believe I've never heard of him before today. If you like romantic songs with a beautiful voice and beautiful guitar playing, he's your man!!  You will have to hear his first song 'Contigo' on the concert broadcast next week to see what I'm talking about. It was breathtaking to listen to. I will buy his CD soon.

Also, Alan Doyle had a interesting story to tell about his last song. It has a connection with a singer from Calgary.

Edited by girl

Jann Arden and Jon Montgomery were the best Junos hosts ever. This was the first Junos I ever watched from beginning to end. I thought it was organized and well done. It was like watching a big concert. I watched a bit of the Junos when Russell Peters hosted it a few years back, but I don't remember any of it. I only remember the opening dance sequence.

Here is Jann Arden's facebook post from today:

https://www.facebook.com/JannArden/posts/1099358330101405?comment_id=1099361090101129&comment_tracking=%7B%22tn%22%3A%22R%22%7D

I'm so tired today in the very best of ways and for the very best of reasons. Having the opportunity to co-host the junos this year with Jon Montgomery was surreal. It's hard to believe that I hosted them 19 years ago in Hamilton. Time goes by like a bullet.

I felt relatively calm last night. I think I felt more nervous the day before the show at one of our MANY rehearsals. There is SO much that goes into the show you can't imagine. There are literally hundreds of sound cues and pre-set monitor mixes. I think I lost count, but there were well over 100 men and women running around like maniacs making everything work the way it's supposed to. They work LONG days and always seem to be of good cheer- quite the feat.

My "show runners" name was Amanda and she was leaving on a flight right after the show last night as she had to get home to Toronto to work on BIG BROTHER. (She's doing the night shift tonight) Without her, I wouldn't have known where I was going or what I was doing. Canada's TV industry is small, you end up working with these amazing people show after show after show, and so it's always helpful if you're decent and respectful of the people that make it ALL happen. We are all on the same team. Some artists don't get that. At all.

They have one song on the radio and suddenly think they're above and beyond the people working tirelessly around them. It drives me insane. It's VERY hard to watch. If I could legally punch a few of these little bastards in the temple-I would, but ultimately, they'll cut their own throats as they move along in their careers. (Or not move along)
It is NOT easy to have one that spans 25 years, never mind 2 or 3 years. They will figure that out when they're sitting on their thumbs wondering where it all went wrong.

Anyhow...FOR the most part, the artists that I have known for years and years are brilliant talents and wonderful human beings...the Alan Doyle's and the Bryan Adam's and the Barenaked ladies and the Sarah's and Anne's and Blue Rodeo's and the Burton's and the Cohen's and the Buble's. These GIANT icons that have earned their way with grace, work ethic, kindness, respect, dedication, desire and - did I say kindness?

You wanna get somewhere?
Don't be an asshole.
Music is about people.
Music is about light and love and being united.
It's not a platform to stand on and be a dip shit.

On a side note....my mom had the BEST time ever.
She cheered for everybody and thought everybody was superb.
And ain't that what it's all about?

She is a class act. I feel the same about Paul Brandt, who is another singer from Calgary.

I am curious who those little bastards are, that she is referring to.

Edited by girl

Jann Arden and Jon Montgomery were the best Junos hosts ever. This was the first Junos I ever watched from beginning to end. I thought it was organized and well done. It was like watching a big concert. I watched a bit of the Junos when Russell Peters hosted it a few years back, but I don't remember any of it. I only remember the opening dance sequence.

Here is Jann Arden's facebook post from today:

https://www.facebook.com/JannArden/posts/1099358330101405?comment_id=1099361090101129&comment_tracking=%7B%22tn%22%3A%22R%22%7D

She is a class act. I feel the same about Paul Brandt, who is another singer from Calgary.

I am curious who those little bastards are, that she is referring to.

I mean Bieber's acceptance "speech" video got boo'd. He barely took the time to make it and clearly didn't care while he did. So maybe that was a knock at him.

All the other up and comers seemed pretty gracious, so I couldn't see it being them. But who knows, other than Scott Helman I don't have a lot of exposure to them. But Scott was super nice every time I met him and seemed pretty darn humbled, awed and greatful during the tour experience so..

Okay, one last post; then I put it to rest. I never thought I would talk about Paul Brandt ever, so I might as well give it a go while I still the chance. 

I just wanted to comment on Paul Brandt's hosting duties at the concert. I thought he did an excellent job. I didn't know he was so hilarious. That surprised me. It kind of reminded me of Matt's humor. I am happy for all of the success that he has received in the music industry. He deserves it. He was a great supporter of the Alberta Children's Hospital, and he used to work as a pediatric Nurse there before he got his start in country music. He was discovered when he won the talent search show at the Calgary Stampede. He even sang at our Calgary Police Victim Assistance Unit conference in Banff a few years ago. I am proud to say that he comes from my hometown.

Edited by girl

It would be great to see him take his place in Canadian music royalty.  We all know he deserves more cred than he gets, and benefit from his general avoidance of public accolades.  That said, it would be wonderful if he could find greater success, as selling more albums will only allow him more freedom to create beautiful music (though it might cut down on the amount he has to tour, and the venues he plays in). 

I'll just be happy if Matt is able to sustain a healthy enough income throughout the rest of the years he chooses to make music to be able to keep putting out records and tour the country like he has.  Matt's an artist, he's great at expressing himself, his gift isn't marketing or business (even his most successful marketing efforts, like his blogs etc, center around his ability to express himself & connect with people).  His art was very commercially popular in the 90's/early 2000's, & has waned in recent years, but so be it.  I don't think he has much if any control over whether people will like his art or not, he just pours his heart into mics and the chips I guess fall where they may.  The things he's been singing about the last decade or so, the mainstream have barely cared about anyways, so is it any wonder?  Stanley Kubrick's films never made money like that shitty Avatar flick haha.

"Given the state of the industry I think that now is a very crucial time to show support for a new generation of Canadian artists that must deal with both a vastly expedited process of creative growth and the ever changing landscape of how music is made, promoted, and consumed."

I've started listening to the radio more nowadays while I drive to work & it's really sinking in that while I might have saved thousands of dollars downloading pirated MP3's like mad the last 15 years, we really did ruin the industry. it's really depressing listening to 90's rock too and remembering how great we had it then, what an amazing decade for the industry. Also by far the best decade ever in the history of Canadian music.

I agree that the quality of music has shifted over the past 5-10 yrs but the main source of revenue for an artist is their live shows.  While downloading mp3's certainly has hurt some artists it shouldn't have as much effect on the touring artists.  I would think bands that are awful live (puddle of mudd,  comes to mind off hand)  would hurt the most.  If an artist puts out good music on a regular basis the fanbase will always be there.  When a band takes 5-6 yrs to put out new music (think our lady peace, third eye blind, matchbox 20)   that's when you start to lose the casual fans. 

Guest Idioteque

Puddle of Mudd is great live because they sound exactly like their records... EXACTLY like their records.

I don't know the actual statistics but I wouldn't be surprised if the % of artists that can survive financially from record sales is under 10%, give or take.

A live concert is a temporary solution to inevitable drowning. I've met a few bands that I consider huge, it blew my mind when they told me they go back to their 9/5 jobs inbetween touring so they can afford to make albums.

Assuming Matt's life has been very fortunate financially, could the same be said if instead of a solo artist he was in a band & expected to split % with 3/4 other guys for over 20 years? It's probably better for someone to be an artist than in a band for the sake of actually making some sort of profit.

Puddle of Mudd is great live because they sound exactly like their records... EXACTLY like their records.

I don't know the actual statistics but I wouldn't be surprised if the % of artists that can survive financially from record sales is under 10%, give or take.

A live concert is a temporary solution to inevitable drowning. I've met a few bands that I consider huge, it blew my mind when they told me they go back to their 9/5 jobs inbetween touring so they can afford to make albums.

Assuming Matt's life has been very fortunate financially, could the same be said if instead of a solo artist he was in a band & expected to split % with 3/4 other guys for over 20 years? It's probably better for someone to be an artist than in a band for the sake of actually making some sort of profit.

Puddle of Mudd in the past maybe.  Don't know what they sound like with Wes Scantlin (sp) in the middle of an epic mental breakdown.

One of my favourite and local bands, The Reason, were a group that I loved.  I was pumped when they announced that they were doing a documentary about touring in support of their last album.  However, from what I've heard, the doc's story changed to how hard it is to survive as a Canadian act.  I missed the premiere of it, so I'm hoping it pops up somewhere.  I'd like to find the bar in Hamilton that the lead singer works at for a day job and drink with him. 

I think it's hard to be a musician in general these days.  I can't imagine any of them making a living off of record sales alone, unless you're Adele or Beiber.  The money comes from busting your ass and playing as many shows as possible.

Guest Idioteque

Wes Scantlin is notorious for lip syncing, like I said they sound EXACTLY like their records lol.

I just remembered another story that happened recently. There's a metal band called "Thy Art Is Murder". 503715 likes 
on their FB & millions of views on youtube, these guys tour at least 10 months out of the year all over the world for as long as I've been a fan. They've opened for Slipknot, Parkway Drive, been on festivals with iron Maiden, Black Sabbath & Metallica. I was able to catch them in Vancouver a few months back & after their Canadian tour the lead singer quit, releasing this pretty raw statement: 

With a mix of both negative and positive emotions, I inform you all that I have parted ways with my band Thy Art Is Murder. It has been a wild ride I have travelled to over 40 countries around the world and played alongside some of the worlds biggest and best bands, it brings me great sadness knowing I will never perform again for my amazing and supportive fans, this will be the hardest thing for me to deal with. My reasons for leaving: I spend too much time away from my fiancé , family and friends, touring has taken a massive mental, emotional and physical toll on me. One of the biggest reasons is money, I / we have been broke for years and being 32 years old I can’t live like this anymore. I am getting married next year and plan on having a family, these things cost money, to put the finances into perspective for you I /we have earned between $16k-$18k each over 6-7 years, I feel there is something massively wrong with this, I will not live like this anymore. I’m sorry to my fans that I have to go, I have loved you all and I thank you for believing in me supporting me. The money made from my closing down sale of my clothing label will be going to my wedding, I will also be selling my Northface stage jacket I have worn the last two years on stage via eBay soon to try to pay for my wedding for the people interested, again thank you for the love and support, Your Prince Of Darkness Cj

Read More: Thy Art is Murder Frontman CJ McMahon Exits Band | http://loudwire.com/thy-art-is-murder-cj-mcmahon-leaves-band/?trackback=tsmclip

Later on another article would be released called "Why Thy Art is Murder Should Be Making Much More Money, Written by a Metal Band Manager" and it goes into GREAT detail about the life of being on the road & the costs. Great read: http://www.metalsucks.net/2016/01/04/why-thy-art-is-murder-should-be-making-much-more-money-written-by-a-metal-band-manager/

I just remembered another story that happened recently. There's a metal band called "Thy Art Is Murder". 503715 likes on their FB & millions of views on youtube, these guys tour at least 10 months out of the year all over the world for as long as I've been a fan. They've opened for Slipknot, Parkway Drive, been on festivals with iron Maiden, Black Sabbath & Metallica. I was able to catch them in Vancouver a few months back & after their Canadian tour the lead singer quit, releasing this pretty raw statement:

That's a gut-wrenching story, I feel terrible for him.  It seems like such a struggle now.  Matt's written about the industry in his songs a lot, like in 'So Close':

If you ain’t on your back taking it get out of here

And if somehow you do, you sing Young Man Blues

"Ain’t got nothing in the world these days"

Just the world don’t know it’s true

The whole song describes musicians struggles: "Keep us alive on 45, Don’t let the wolves get anything. Keep us alive on 45, It may mean more than anything".  And i mean Matt tries, and releases his old albums on vinyl, and they sell well, but then there's the bunch of technical problems the vinyl company or whomever screwed up on, must be so frustrating!

I agree that the quality of music has shifted over the past 5-10 yrs but the main source of revenue for an artist is their live shows.  While downloading mp3's certainly has hurt some artists it shouldn't have as much effect on the touring artists.  I would think bands that are awful live (puddle of mudd,  comes to mind off hand)  would hurt the most.  If an artist puts out good music on a regular basis the fanbase will always be there.  When a band takes 5-6 yrs to put out new music (think our lady peace, third eye blind, matchbox 20)   that's when you start to lose the casual fans. 

But what about new artists?  There's hardly any money to be made in music sales now, though I guess vinyl is helping a bit.  So the industry and record companies aren't making money on rock bands, so why invest in them?  Why promote them?  It's totally different now for musicians.  There's no MuchMusic like there used to be to widely promote rock singles and bands/musicians.  Great rock songs/videos on Youtube hardly get any views.  Extremely few newer rock bands in the world exist that can fill even half a hockey arena, only old nostalgia acts from the 70's-90's.  What will summer rock festivals look like in 5 years, if they even exist anymore?