Outtahere

Guitar Help

There's a lot of tabs out there but I'm looking for something else. 

Look at what Jimmy's playing during the "Whatever puts me all the way out" part

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ksWprw1tM3k

What is he playing? That's a type of chord that is used a lot in Matt's song but even looking at the fingers and trying to it, I can't get it to sound right. 

The same with Non Populus after the 4:32 mark: 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TShxaylXgdk

Thanks!

Guest Idioteque

If I'm looking at what I think you're talking about,  he's just playing a power chord with the middle string muted. I'm blanking on the "name" of that power chord.

It would look like this in tab. (Slipknot: Duality)

/-----------------------------------------------------------------/
/-----------------------------------------------------------------/
/---14--14\7--7/10--10/12--12/14--14/15--14---------- /
/----X---X-X--X--X---X--X----X--X---X--X---X-------------/
/---12--12\5--5/-8---8/10--10/12--12/13--12-----------/
/----------------------------------------------------------------/

And it would look/sound like 3:06

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S0OX76mWq8s

​Octave Based Power Chord! I remembered.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O_EzBv7e0Jw

Guest jjazz

Yeah, it's basically a variation of a power chord to give a chorus effect. Dave and Jimmy used it a lot. Since I have no technically proffeciency, I can't help you too much other than that.

But yeah, Jimmy uses it in non populus a lot, and the bridge in Born Losers comes to mind as well. I'm sure there are tons of other examples.

I asked Jimmy directly and like mrtrufflepig explained, it was octaves. For example, Load Me Up, you need to mute the first string, put your index finger on the second string on the 9th fret, mute the third and put your ring or pinky on the 11th fret of the 4 string. Then you move up and down accordingly to the melody. I nailed it yesterday.

Jimmy's really cool!

Edited by Tips
  • Upvote 1

I asked Jimmy directly and like mrtrufflepig explained, it was octaves. For example, Load Me Up, you need to mute the first string, put your index finger on the second string on the 9th fret, mute the third and put your ring or pinky on the 11th fret of the 4 string. Then you move up and down accordingly to the melody. I nailed it yesterday.

Jimmy's really cool!

Awesome.

And yes. Jimmy is indeed, really cool. :D

Awesome.

And yes. Jimmy is indeed, really cool. :D

Yeah he was the best guitarist Matt worked with imo. I mean Stu is awesome technically, Christian had his own style. But Jimmy, he was not only great but he put on a great show. Looking at Stu playing is like looking at a musician in an orchestra. He's really really focused. And I'm not saying that's a bad thing. There's just a vibe with Jimmy.

I think it comes down to styles that they play.  I don't know a ton about either of them, but it seems like Jimmy is more of a showy rock style, and Stu is a little more nuanced.  Jimmy's more entertaining to watch on stage, 

Yeah he was the best guitarist Matt worked with imo. I mean Stu is awesome technically, Christian had his own style. But Jimmy, he was not only great but he put on a great show. Looking at Stu playing is like looking at a musician in an orchestra. He's really really focused. And I'm not saying that's a bad thing. There's just a vibe with Jimmy.

I actually really like Stu also. He's super personable. He's really fluid when he plays too, the Stu Sway if you will. He looks super into it to me. Also if you talk to him Stu is really, really nice. Oh and also Stu's stage outfit was the same at every show which I thought was pretty funny. But I mean there's not a ton of room on that bus, so pack light I guess haha. Oh and also, in terms of crowd interaction, Stu gives a lot. He'll let encourage you to get up, smile, wave etc. He throws a ton of picks into the crowd too. which is fun.

But I get what you mean, Jimmy was really expressive looking, like he was having the best time.

Funny enough, Stu said he actually recommended Jimmy for the job, when he wouldn't be able to tour due to the work with the Heartbroken (I think that was the sched conflict). So he was kind of torn coming back this time, since it would be taking it back from Jimmy. But they're on good terms and everything. I'm glad Stu was back.

Edited by emmit643

Funny enough, Stu said he actually recommended Jimmy for the job, when he wouldn't be able to tour due to the work with the Heartbroken (I think that was the sched conflict). So he was kind of torn coming back this time, since it would be taking it back from Jimmy. But they're on good terms and everything. I'm glad Stu was back.

Really? Where did you hear that? That's a pretty interesting story.

That said I meant nothing against Stu, he's absolutely awesome. But Jimmy had a certain showmanship that made him more enjoyable to watch.

Really? Where did you hear that? That's a pretty interesting story.

That said I meant nothing against Stu, he's absolutely awesome. But Jimmy had a certain showmanship that made him more enjoyable to watch.

From Stu actually. On the Kingston tour stop. Got to chill with him, Bones, Blake and the crew that night after the show.

Oh and also, in terms of crowd interaction, Stu gives a lot. He'll let encourage you to get up, smile, wave etc. He throws a ton of picks into the crowd too. which is fun.

But I get what you mean, Jimmy was really expressive looking, like he was having the best time.

Hopefully one of these days, I'll catch one of Stu's picks.

I get what you mean about Jimmy too. I enjoy watching his facial expressions towards the crowd. Whenever I saw him at concerts, he looked like he was having a great time.

I get what you mean about Jimmy too. I enjoy watching his facial expressions towards the crowd. Whenever I saw him at concerts, he looked like he was having a great time.

And the throwing of the hat! :P

A couple of tours ago my wife and I took our son to an MG concert. He was young and bored out of his mind, he sat by the stage right next to the security guard for the last half of the show and Stu gave him his pick at the end:) So cool!!!

Anyone interested in working on some tabs for Chaotic Neutral? My ear's not that great but between listening to the songs and watching some live videos I can usually manage to figure out the chords. If nobody else already has, I'll give Moment a stab when I'm home later tonight.

Anyone interested in working on some tabs for Chaotic Neutral? My ear's not that great but between listening to the songs and watching some live videos I can usually manage to figure out the chords. If nobody else already has, I'll give Moment a stab when I'm home later tonight.

Great idea! FYI there are some CN tabs in one of these forums already....I'm sure I've seen Kid Down the Well and I think possibly Moment. My guitar skills are exceptionally meagre and are limited to a few basic chords, squinting at YouTube videos, and using my ear (which is better some days more than others). I had figured out that end-soloey thing for Kid Down The Well, as well as a few power chords for Girls In Black. Then I moved on to trying to figure out Boy Who Could Explode (LOVE that song)...can't quite figure out all of the chords but I think I'm close, and I've pretty much got the solo thing worked out. Have I written any of this down? No - because I'm an idiot, so every time I go to play them I have to figure them out again . Note to self: grab a pen & paper.

Moment: http://www.nearfantastica.com/bored/topic/14311-moment-guitar-chords/?hl=guitar

Kid: http://www.nearfantastica.com/bored/topic/14310-kid-down-the-well-guitar-chords/?hl=guitar

There's an app for Mac called Capo that I've used to help with tabs, and it's quite awesome. It gives you a waveform (?) of the song and let's you plot "notes" over the guitar parts, and it either gives you the chord or note being played. A lot of it is still dependant on your ear though, so it's not total magic.