Guest Idioteque

Acoustic Guitar

Guest Idioteque

I'm looking to buy a new acoustic soon, I feel like I've outgrown my current acoustic, a fender. After years of abuse it's starting to get some problems & I'd rather put the money towards a new guitar than repair the old. 

I've always been into electric guitars, so the acoustic world is still pretty new to me. I recognize brands like Martin, Guild, Taylor & seagull. After reading alot of threads on music websites, you read things like: 

"A bad Martin is still better than a great Taylor, Fender acoustics suck"

At the end of the day though a brand name is just a brand name, and it takes playing a guitar in person for hours to figure out if it's what you like imo. My ideal guitar is an acoustic/electric cutaway, that's about it. 

But before I descend into the darkest corners of my local Tom Lee & Long & McQuade, I'm curious if there's anything you would recommend to keep an eye out for? Also what do you play yourself.

I've got a Seagull Coastline.  It's a nice looking guitar with a great sound, and they're also Canadian (Quebec) made.  I bought it probably 15 years ago, and it still looks great.  It looks like Long & McQuade sells them as well.  Mine is just a simple acoustic.  I would highly recommend anything from this company.

I just have a Fender, I think it's like "T-Bucket 100CE" or something. Acoustic-Electric. Bought it so I could have a consistent experience when I started playing open mics (the constant different house guitar quality stressed me out when I was nervous)

I'm constantly lusting after Taylor guitars though. So nice. To look at. To play. To hear. Always my favourite to pick up.

Also I got to play someone's Gibson Songwriter they had customized, and *that* was amazing. 

Guest Idioteque

Just got home from the guitar shop. I enjoyed the Taylor 214ce, probably one of the nicest guitars I've ever played. I'm surprised how much I didn't like any of the Martins though, not impressed. Time to save up $1399  (n)

Godin have great solid body acoustics under the "art&luthierie" and seagull brands

Guild make great guitars, as does larivee and takamine

I love gibsons for acoustics, never got on will with Taylors or martins

check with l&m rentals, they sell them much cheaper, and they sound better than brand new because solid body acoustics take years to break in and sound right. Taking time to pick the right acoustic is important, a solid wood acoustic requires proper humidity, and temperature control (keep it in the case when not playing). They take more work, but they will make you a better player, a well broken in acoustic sounds amazing, the harmonics that ring from the top and bridge really give a satisfying feeling when playing.

Here is my 1994 sj100

imagejpg1_zps107d7b1b.jpg

And here is my advanced jumbo, this was $500 from l&m because it had a repaired crack and was a rental...

image_zpse6bob9ku.jpg

Edited by finboy

Guest Idioteque

Beautiful guitars!

I never knew you could BUY rental guitars from guitar shops, do I just ask them if they have any for sale? The specific shops near my house only carry the heavy brands like fenders/martins/taylors, nothing obscure. I'd imagine there's perfectly good expert level guitars cheaper than $1399 but I can't seem to find any. :(  

Beautiful guitars!

I never knew you could BUY rental guitars from guitar shops, do I just ask them if they have any for sale? The specific shops near my house only carry the heavy brands like fenders/martins/taylors, nothing obscure. I'd imagine there's perfectly good expert level guitars cheaper than $1399 but I can't seem to find any. :(  

Long and mcquade sell all their rental gear, they decrease price based on how long it's been a rental, which is great for acoustics because the more they are played the better they sound, and the cheaper they are. If you get a chance, call around to a few l&m's and see what they have.

I also like that you can rent most (not all, I'm looking at you Taylor 710ce) guitars to try out before you buy it. I can't imagine buying a guitar for more than even 600$ without knowing if I like it yet, how it plays etc. Especially once you get up past 1000$.

Guest Idioteque

I just got back from L&M, they brought me out a brand new Taylor 214ce right out of the box. Put on some new strings, messed around with the action aaanndddd.....

Probably one of the worst guitars I've ever played besides a $1000 Martin I fiddled around with waiting for the 214. I understand it's brand new & of course it's not going to sound amazing until it gets broken in, but it actually had fret problems & there was wood chippings in the guitar, very odd considering Taylor is really good with shipping out clean guitars. It sounded like I was playing a laminated tin-can.

So I went down to Tom Lee to try out some Seagull & Takamine guitars, amazing product for about half the price of the 214ce. I'm very torn right now. 

I've never been a fan of Takamine. Although, I've only played a few. Various friends have them, and I've played them at open mics, and while my guitar was being fixed I had a rental for a month. Was very glad to get my own guitar back, I hated that rental.

Two of my buddies have Seagull guitars though and they're great. They sound fantastic and look great too.

Although, it's true. Generally I'd say any guitar sounds better broken in. I HATE when I put new strings on. So tinny. So twangy. bleh. I like the rustic charm of a broken in guitar lol

Guest Idioteque

I should be playing my new guitar right now if it wasn't for a lazy post man (Daily Complaint Thread). I'll post photos tomorrow HOPEFULLY. 

Hey!  This is a bit off the thread's topic, but I didn't want to start a whole new thread for my plea:  I am looking for a hard shelled banjo case.  It is going to be a gift.  The recipient has requested the exact same case as he currently owns, but it has been SO beaten up that I can't tell who made it, or find a model number.  The pull tab on the interior part of the case, which holds the picks, etc has a leather pull tab on which is printed "T(something-maybe an R, or a K?)L", and it says it is made in Canada.  All searches have turned up a TKL that is made in the states, but he really wants something Canadian made. 

I would appreciate any help!

Guest Idioteque

From what I can find, TKL branches out Canadian manufacturing to a company called "Etuis Boblen Cases Inc" in Montreal. I'd suggest calling/emailing them with your situation, they may be able to sell you a case themselves or point you towards a store they are distributing cases to. 

Etuis Boblen Cases Inc