hoogie

[Merged] 2016 Summer Tour Thread

Guest Idioteque

Matters just a wee bit, because that would determine if we would ever get to hear the full song or if he's just messing around on his laptop. The stuff he's releasing on IG sounds incredible.

Btw does anyone know if Matt ever did the score for Jay Baruchel's movie?

Has anything been released about which day/night Matt is playing at TURF? I'm not familiar with the festival so I'm having trouble finding out if/when this info is released...

I'm hoping he isn't just messing around, as I like the sound he's got right now.

Do you mean for the new Goon movie, or something else? Haven't heard anything personally.

The IMDb says the music is by Trevor Morris.

Has anything been released about which day/night Matt is playing at TURF? I'm not familiar with the festival so I'm having trouble finding out if/when this info is released...

The IMDb says the music is by Trevor Morris.

Baruchel tweeted yesterday about that guy scoring that movie, so it's not MG, at least for this movie.

Guest Idioteque

Nah not goon, I remember reading articles "Matthew Good is composing the score for Jay Baruchel's directorial debut 'Random Acts of Violence'

But I haven't heard anything about that movie since.

Who's gonna be at Woodbine this Sunday?!?!

I'm getting so stoked. Also, anyone know what to do for Canada Day in Toronto? I'm usually in Ottawa, and there's the parliament hill concerts, but I'm going to TO early.

I don't know if you're going to be here the evening of the 30th, but Limblifter is playing at the Horseshoe that night. I don't know if you like them, but seeing as Matt has collaborated with Ryan Dahle/toured with him before I thought it worth mentioning.

Canada Day is kinda anti-climactic here. There's stuff in pockets, fireworks and the like. There's a family friendly dealie during the day Queen's park ... that's it as far as I know.

Emma - if you hadn't seen the update, Matt's playing TURF on Sunday (the 18th).  They haven't announced the times yet, but he's third billed, so probably late afternoon / early evening.  (If they use last year's schedule, it'd probably be 5:30pm.)

Emma - if you hadn't seen the update, Matt's playing TURF on Sunday (the 18th). They haven't announced the times yet, but he's third billed, so probably late afternoon / early evening. (If they use last year's schedule, it'd probably be 5:30pm.)

Thanks!!

I don't know if you're going to be here the evening of the 30th, but Limblifter is playing at the Horseshoe that night. I don't know if you like them, but seeing as Matt has collaborated with Ryan Dahle/toured with him before I thought it worth mentioning.

Canada Day is kinda anti-climactic here. There's stuff in pockets, fireworks and the like. There's a family friendly dealie during the day Queen's park ... that's it as far as I know.

I won't arrive until 4:30 on Canada Day.

And yeah, being from Ottawa and basically always in Ottawa on Canada Day I always just assumed it was a big deal everywhere. :/

Matt mentioned awhile ago on twitter he wouldn't be releasing demo's to the public for this album.  Not sure if what he is putting out now is for an album or just for potential ideas for the album

Emma, just go hang out on Church St for the pride festivities. They go all long weekend, and it's amazing.

Awesome, thanks for the tip!

Currently sitting in the greyhound station waiting for my bus. I have a bunch of Bridgehead coffee beans in tow, so everything smells like coffee haha

A few too many little Hedley fans for my taste, but a great show as always. They could've brought up Matt's vocals a bit but nothing worth yelling and complaining about (the people next to me thought so though). Stu, Bones and Blake were there. Crew-wise James and Dave I recognized. It was fun as slowly one by one the band members recognized that I was there :P haha 

I actually saw Matt walking around before the show. I got trapped on one side while the horses were walking by though, which is too bad because a picture all dressed up would've been really cool.

From the new album only Sons & Daughters and No Liars got played. I have to say, I don't dislike No Liars, but it is definitely not my number 2 pick off the album. Would've much preferred Cold Water or Army of Lions. Mostly he played the  "hits" overall, as you would expect from a summer festival show where he isn't headlining.

I also brought a beach ball that someone gave me at the pride parade, so I blew that up and threw it around. It actually kept going for a really long time.

Anyway, just got back to Ottawa. Gonna sleep for 2 hrs before going to work :/

here's the setlist: https://www.instagram.com/p/BHb2I5NhhLC/?taken-by=greysierra

Guest Idioteque

Dang! Still never got to hear Carmelina, glad to see it hasn't been thrown away.

No Liars is a great summer vibe song, but Army of Lions is an even better summer vibe FESTIVAL song.

I was at the Woodbine show.  I knew he was going to just play the "greatest hits" given the crowd but it was still a great show.  Matt & the whole band really worked their asses off and I appreciated that.  Blake stood up and went nuts on the cymbals at the end of Weapon to blow out the show, amazing.  1st time seeing Bones live, I really enjoyed him, he has a very gritty bass tone at times which sounded awesome, more distorted than Milos who seems to play cleaner. Stu was Stu, great guitar player, nailed that cool lick during No Liars (better song live than on record).  Stu was the only guy not drenched in sweat throughout the show, I'm pretty sure that man has no sweat glands.

Matt admitted after the first song or 2 that he was very out of shape, by the end of Weapon (final song) he looked exhausted.  It didn't really affect his performance though, he soldiered on through the whole show.  Bro also needs a haircut LOL. Yes his vocals were low in the mix, during the 1st song or 2 I noticed him signalling to the sound guy to raise the volume a bit.  Still was kinda low but given that neither his body nor voice is in touring shape I didn't have a problem with it.  Woodbine is right next to Pearson Airport, so he was amusingly distracted by the low-flying planes hurtling toward him over his head every few minutes.  I hope he enjoyed the races before the show.

The crowd was fucking terrible, possibly the worst MG crowd in Canadian history.  95% of people were there to see Hedley, half the crowd had no fucking idea who Matt was.  Before Matt played "Everything is Automatic" he said "This next song is a sing-along, though I'm sure many of you were probably not born yet when it came out" hahah.  I was about 20 rows back, when Giant came on there were about 3 other people in the crowd clapping to "K-I-C-K-A-S-S".  It was so bad that there were many people in the crowd sitting on the ground in the middle of the crowd during the set, and a bunch more ignoring the show and talking amongst themselves.  Some 40-year-old man-baby Hedley fan ass-hat even starting giving Matt the thumbs down during the show.  Then he tried to throw emmit643's beachball at Matt but Mr. McWimpy could only reach the security dudes beyond the 1st row.  I felt shy sometimes because I was the only person around me singing along.

I left the show after Matt's set...because Hedley sucks.  The opener, The Strumbellas, were pretty good.  Overall had a good time.

• Upvote 1

Guest Idioteque

Haha I know what you mean about feeling lonely in the crowd. During Rock the Shore in my section, it was just me and this 50 year old mother dancing together during MG while her daughter (waiting for City & Colour) looked embarrassed. 

I was at the Woodbine show.  I knew he was going to just play the "greatest hits" given the crowd but it was still a great show.  Matt & the whole band really worked their asses off and I appreciated that.  Blake stood up and went nuts on the cymbals at the end of Weapon to blow out the show, amazing.  1st time seeing Bones live, I really enjoyed him, he has a very gritty bass tone at times which sounded awesome, more distorted than Milos who seems to play cleaner. Stu was Stu, great guitar player, nailed that cool lick during No Liars (better song live than on record).  Stu was the only guy not drenched in sweat throughout the show, I'm pretty sure that man has no sweat glands.

Matt admitted after the first song or 2 that he was very out of shape, by the end of Weapon (final song) he looked exhausted.  It didn't really affect his performance though, he soldiered on through the whole show.  Bro also needs a haircut LOL. Yes his vocals were low in the mix, during the 1st song or 2 I noticed him signalling to the sound guy to raise the volume a bit.  Still was kinda low but given that neither his body nor voice is in touring shape I didn't have a problem with it.  Woodbine is right next to Pearson Airport, so he was amusingly distracted by the low-flying planes hurtling toward him over his head every few minutes.  I hope he enjoyed the races before the show.

The crowd was fucking terrible, possibly the worst MG crowd in Canadian history.  95% of people were there to see Hedley, half the crowd had no fucking idea who Matt was.  Before Matt played "Everything is Automatic" he said "This next song is a sing-along, though I'm sure many of you were probably not born yet when it came out" hahah.  I was about 20 rows back, when Giant came on there were about 3 other people in the crowd clapping to "K-I-C-K-A-S-S".  It was so bad that there were many people in the crowd sitting on the ground in the middle of the crowd during the set, and a bunch more ignoring the show and talking amongst themselves.  Some 40-year-old man-baby Hedley fan ass-hat even starting giving Matt the thumbs down during the show.  Then he tried to throw emmit643's beachball at Matt but Mr. McWimpy could only reach the security dudes beyond the 1st row.  I felt shy sometimes because I was the only person around me singing along.

I left the show after Matt's set...because Hedley sucks.  The opener, The Strumbellas, were pretty good.  Overall had a good time.

Yeah, guarantee you that Kelly and I were 2 of the 3 clapping along when Giant started lol. Lucky for us we were at least next to a couple people there to see Matt. Also, one of the little guys at the front (maybe 8 or 9yrs old) who was there to see Hedley, actually got really into Matt's set which was fun to see too. Glad the beach ball didn't actually hit Matt. I was at the Ottawa Congress Centre show when some asshole threw a shoe at Matt. real buzzkill. (Mind you all those people legit had paid to come see Matt, so dunno what that guys problem was [guessing drunk?])

Funny enough, Kelly's setlist that she got was actually James', so it had all the guitar prompts for both Matt and Stu, and Cloudbusting was actually written on the list after Weapon, but that didn't get played. Not sure if it was because of lack of time (there was the whole medical situation before Matt came on, when someone in the crowd fainted) or if it was just because the majority of the crowd wasn't there for Matt.

We also left as soon as Matt was done.

I feel like next time we should just roll call who's gonna be there and like stand all together. As long as you guys don't cramp my setlist turf hahaha ;) 

• Upvote 1

Funny enough, Kelly's setlist that she got was actually James', so it had all the guitar prompts for both Matt and Stu, and Cloudbusting was actually written on the list after Weapon, but that didn't get played.

How do you know about Cloudbusting?  It wasn't on the setlist you posted...

Oh and were in the front rows toward the left of the stage near Stu's area?  I saw some people there clapping to K-I-C-K-A-S-S!

How do you know about Cloudbusting?  It wasn't on the setlist you posted...

Oh and were in the front rows toward the left of the stage near Stu's area?  I saw some people there clapping to K-I-C-K-A-S-S!

Yes we were. I almost always pick Stu side or guitarist side cause it's more fun to watch than bass-side (although I have to admit I really enjoy Bones Hillman a lot!)

And James is the current guitar-tech/stage hand/whatever the official name of his position is (instead of Lance). Cloudbusting was handwritten in on his. https://twitter.com/emmit643/status/750863469357006848 i took a screen shot and posted via twitter, since I can't share Kelly's original post from the MG Facebook group.

Her friend was working for Woodbine's concert crew that day, and hooked up us up each with some intact leftover setlists. (I got the one they used, she got the one with cloudbusting written on and all the guitar notes) We were super close up, but between the Hedley children and the barrier space we weren't really close enough to ask, plus James and the rest of the crew had to tear down pretty fast since Hedley was supposed to come on next. When Matt is the headliner there is a lot more time to sweet talk the crew lol.

Guest girl

You are the ultimate expert at scoring setlists. I have never received one in my life.

Hypothetically speaking, if I wanted to score myself a setlist at a large festival like this, how would I go about doing it.

CIM0DVxXAAAaKPA.jpg

Would I have to situate myself in the front row and very politely ask the guitar-tech/staff for one after the show, preferably calling them by their first name?

Edited by girl

You are the ultimate expert at scoring setlists. I have never received one in my life.

Hypothetically speaking, if I wanted to score myself a setlist at a large festival like this, how would I go about doing it.

CIM0DVxXAAAaKPA.jpg

Would I have to situate myself in the front row and very politely ask the guitar-tech/staff for one after the show, preferably calling them by their first name?

Being as close as possible is definitely a good strategy. Definitely knowing as many people's names as possible. Also, at festivals like that you can also politely chat with the security guys before the show starts, and then ask them either then before the show, to hook you up when it's over, or ask them when the show is done accompanied of course by the "pretty-pretty-please" prayer hands lol. As well, someone at the NAC asked Stu directly for his. And that worked. 

And also, just know where as many lists as possible are. Like, they have them taped to certain speakers and equipment. They have one at the sound boards, the guitar tech has one etc. Bones and Blake can both see well enough to have small text on theirs, so it'll be a clean one pager, even at a long show. But Matt and Stu's have larger text, so for long shows they're on two pages, more tape, more possible ripping etc.

Lastly, if there's like a fence area with a gate entrance to the back for the bands and crew, sometimes you can catch a crew member coming in or out and ask them real nicely too.

Festivals can be tricky though. There are people who get bracelet for the whole festival, and just stay up front at all the shows to collect picks, and setlists, drum sticks etc to sell and trade, regardless of whether or not they're fans. So fight the good fight, always nice when a fan gets it over the festival vultures.

(also, sharing with people, or helping someone else get one when you've already got yours doesn't hurt. I try to whenever I can, and my luck hasn't seem to run out yet! #goodkarma )