hoogie

[Merged] 2016 Summer Tour Thread

Wow. What a gorgeous backdrop. You're lucky russic. That's a dream venue for a wedding or music concert.

Edited by girl

I'm driving back home tomorrow, but the quick version is that was the best acoustic show I've seen. I really appreciated the venue asking people to keep their conversations to a minimum. It's unfortunate that such an announcement is required, but it is.

There were two ways the show could have gotten out of hand. It was a beautiful winery so the booze was flowing like crazy and there was the curious addition of an intermission. My assumption is that's how the winery can pack in some more sales (and set up some lighting to accommodate the lost sun). Both worked. People came back pretty sloppy – but I have to hand it to them – it could have been way worse. Some women started dancing up front at the tail end of the encore, but it didn't escalate to anything silly or concerning.

The show itself was great. Vocals were fantastic considering I think he was fighting something. A few songs stood out as unique (how it goes, Ommissions, Fake Empire cover, Sons and Daighters, Kid Down The Well). There was a set list on the ground and since he wasn't technically on a stage people were just taking photos of it before he came out and during the intermission... not how I want to experience a show but to each their own. Sadly it was gone after the show so you'll have to find it elsewhere or wait for me to parse through the crude recording I made.

His humour was on point. He's always witty, but the crowd was responding really well to his chatty nature between songs.

The highlight for me was at the end he just hung out and took photos and chatted with fans. He was in a great mood and I was able to get a photo and thank him for the show.

So much for the "quick version".

Edited by russic

That's an awesome venue.  I saw some pics from a friend who saw Dan Mangan at a winery in Niagara Falls.  It's a great place to have an intimate show such as this.  Minus all the boozed up people, usually.  Sounds like it wasn't too much of an issue with this show.

And Fake Empire?  So damn jealous.

Fantastic show in Kelowna last night.  Awesome venue, perfect weather, great sound and delicious wine.  Looking around me before the show I was curious about the setlist considering the demographic of the night...  See below, the longtime-fan-friendly, lengthy list was on point and still had everyone's attention, despite all the wine consumption (including Matt's!).  He was in good spirits all night - delighting us with witty quips and the odd tale from the MGB days.

Standouts to me were Omissions, How It Goes, Tripoli, Fake Empire.

Metal Airplanes
Strange Days
So Long Mrs Smith
White We Were Hunting Rabbits
Omissions of the Omen
All Yours Sons and Daughters
Boy Down the Well
Load Me Up

(Intermission)
Alert Status Red
How It Goes
Born Losers
Silent Army in the Trees
Sort of a Protest Song
Tripoli
Hopeless
Apparitions
Fake Empire
The Fine Art of Falling Apart
Prime Time Deliverance
Advertising on Police Cars
Symbolistic White Walls
True Love Will Find You

• Upvote 1

That's almost a dream setlist, especially acoustic.  There are a ton of amazing choices on there.  Love the Rooms versions of Tripoli and Prime Time.

Also, if you're going to Riverfest in Elora this weekend, they announced the schedule.  Matt will be playing on Saturday night, from 8:40 to 9:40 PM.

Thanks for the setlist tristan.  Any chance on filling us in on a MGB story he told if you remember?

Thanks x2 for the setlist. 

The two I remember were:

1. Hello Time Bomb was written in 45 minutes on a dare using a broken-ish guitar and recorded on a physical tape. Warne heard the tape on the way to the studio and declared that it would be recorded that day. 

2. The studio used to get messages to him via Dave in a way that was perhaps meant to be sneaky. Upon being told that Audio of Being needed some more singles, he wrote Anti-Pop as a joke/F-U assuming it would be thrown away for being ridiculous. It did not work as planned.

Playing by yourself, that is to say completely alone, is, to me, the true test of any artist. If you can do it at a level that attracts people comparable to a normal show, then there's something there. Without a second of hesitation I can honestly say that the initial tour for Hospital Music remains my most cherished to this day. I have never had so much fun on tour, nor been so creative on tour, in my life.

Given that all my players live in different parts of Canada and the US, rehearsing is very costly and difficult, which is why when we hit the road we don't know 60 songs collectively to choose from. When I perform by myself, I'm immediately looking at 30 songs easy, and that's without numerous singles that I feel can't be realized acoustically. In short, it's mostly all album tracks.

If I had my way I would tour acoustically a lot more. The base truth is that the only way to really make it happen is to write a record that can be performed that way and then do the same thing I did with Hospital Music.

The show I saw you at on that first tour for Hospital Music was certainly my favourite.  It's not to say I haven't disliked any of the full band shows I've seen, but to hear those old songs you don't normally hear is something else.

You should also give yourself kudos for being able to go up there with just a guitar and make magic happen.  A lot of artists today wouldn't be able to do the same thing.  You can't hide behind effects and theatrics in that situation.

No...but poor Lance takes a verbal assault and has to sling drinks like Lloyd in The Shining. i never got to see the hospital music acoustic tours, but having seen a few US acoustic shows and that fantastic secret show in Vancouver four years ago. Id love to see more shows in that vein someday

A lot of bands find it more difficult to play acoustic.  You're naked when those mistakes aren't covered by electric.  Although I don't recall any 'ouch' moments when Matt plays acoustic, at least from the acoustic shows I seen/heard. Maybe attributed to a lot of them being reworked and not just literally played acoustically. 

Playing by yourself, that is to say completely alone, is, to me, the true test of any artist. If you can do it at a level that attracts people comparable to a normal show, then there's something there. Without a second of hesitation I can honestly say that the initial tour for Hospital Music remains my most cherished to this day. I have never had so much fun on tour, nor been so creative on tour, in my life.

Given that all my players live in different parts of Canada and the US, rehearsing is very costly and difficult, which is why when we hit the road we don't know 60 songs collectively to choose from. When I perform by myself, I'm immediately looking at 30 songs easy, and that's without numerous singles that I feel can't be realized acoustically. In short, it's mostly all album tracks.

If I had my way I would tour acoustically a lot more. The base truth is that the only way to really make it happen is to write a record that can be performed that way and then do the same thing I did with Hospital Music.

The acoustic shows are definitely more interesting, at least to me. I have to say though...nothing beats the full band shows. I saw you in Philadelphia on the Vancouver tour and recently went to Hamilton for the latest tour. While Philadelphia was a good show, Hamilton was so much better. You all have grown so much as a band.

I know it's a financial drain to perform in the U.S., but hopefully we can get some acoustic shows at least on the East Coast again. You can always pack that "strip-club-looking" venue in NYC, Joe's Pub, again.

Edited by GuitarmanMCS

Guest Idioteque

It would be amazing if Matt made a double album like In A Coma again, but all new songs. Then tour West to East playing the rock & roll portion, then tour East to West playing the acoustic portion. Foo Fighters did that with "In Your Honor". 

BUT I'm sure financially that would be nearly impossible unless he receives the full support of the label.

I wasn't there, (#stupidinjury) but Kelly got the setlist from Bala.

https://instagram.com/p/BJV3LocBMtt/

I was there as well. I think it was a decent set list, not my favourite by any means but I'm sure Matt had to play to a crowd that knows him mainly for his big radio hits. I think maybe 40 people in the venue had heard advertising on police cars before that night haha. Lots of drunk idiots posing for photo op's mid song and I saw one guy get dragged out by police during the encore I think? Still a lot of fun, but not as much as his solo shows for me. 

Guest Idioteque

Hehe I knew someday you'd consider playing songs off Last Of The Ghetto Astronauts.

Secretly it's probably your favorite album, admit it.

The Singles Tour is a great idea, too.

I think you do a good job with balancing the ratio between new and old songs.  Everyone who goes to a concert expects the artist to play music from their newest release.  It's a given.  It's great that you also work in some older songs, sometimes ones that casual fans don't really appreciate.  I think picking a few songs from your older catalog and working those into the setlists from town to town is great.  It was so cool to hear Rabbits live again.

I didn't think I'd see you ever write the word Rico again, unless it was with an expletive in front of it!!

I didn't think I'd see you ever write the word Rico again, unless it was with an expletive in front of it!!

That means Antipop live too right? Can you imagine lol. I'm actually very interested in both being played if the singles tour happens, truly.