Stwlegend

Does Anyone Still Watch Wrestling

So I was a big fan of wrestling when i was little, my father took me to see the WWF in the 80's and of course i was in high school during the wrestling 90's boom so loved that.  And i even remember watching up to like 2006.  I used to love ECW, WCW and the WWF

I had my nephew over this past Monday night and he put it on.  WOW.  Was it always this cheesy and bad acting? Or am I getting old or out of touch?  Seemed extremely boring and less interesting than at any time i could remember. Would be interested to know if anyone watches or did watch. 

Guest Idioteque

It should shock you if I said that it's actually gotten BETTER. It used to be way worse around 2008-2012. I watch a ton of wrestling but I guess I'd be considered a "Smark". I enjoy it by knowing the magic trick and following along with the politics that go on backstage. There's a ton of different wrestling companies that push out mature, better quality wrestling like Ring of Honor, NJPW etc. 

WWE is basically the major league for professional wrestling so it's worth suffering through all the terrible matches & stupid segments just to see my favourite guys that I'd watch wrestle in front of 20 people in a high school gym for $15 make it to the biggest stage of them all. True underdog stories.

670c98dc266b035a653f207d75bdfc36.jpg

It should shock you if I said that it's actually gotten BETTER. It used to be way worse around 2008-2012. I watch a ton of wrestling but I guess I'd be considered a "Smark". I enjoy it by knowing the magic trick and following along with the politics that go on backstage. There's a ton of different wrestling companies that push out mature, better quality wrestling like Ring of Honor, NJPW etc. 

WWE is basically the major league for professional wrestling so it's worth suffering through all the terrible matches & stupid segments just to see my favourite guys that I'd watch wrestle in front of 20 people in a high school gym for $15 make it to the biggest stage of them all. True underdog stories.

670c98dc266b035a653f207d75bdfc36.jpg

I seen an ad for Ring of Honor, they are coming here to Buffalo in September. I just did some research and I didn't realize a lot of WWE guys came from there. I might give it a go, tickets look cheap and its a Saturday night.  I still have all my crazy wrestling friends who go to these ha. I'm going to check this out on your recommendation!

My neighbor has the WWE network and watching the 90's stuff made me realize I still like it, just not what's on today in the WWE.

I actually do indy wrestling around the North East US.   I will be at the Buffalo and Pittsburgh Sept ROH shows and if you can make out I encourage you to do so.  The majority of workers in WWE and NXT that everyone loves came from ROH.

Tony if you are a smark and haven't seen this yet I highly highly recommend it

www.highspotsondemand.com

It blows WWE network out of the water  and the Rev Pro shows from the UK are gold  just look at the matchlistings and you will love it.

Also if you haven't seen any of them please check out IWA-MS   Ted Petty Invitational  tournament.  2002-2004 are my all time favorite shows.   AJ Styles, Samoa Joe, Cm Punk,  Chris Hero, Nigel, Danielson.  Roddy Strong,  and tons tons more in one tournament.    If you have any other questions or want recommendations  feel free to shoot me a pm.  

I was very into WWF up until maybe 1999 or 2000. As a middle schooler I somehow believed despite having heard "wrestling is fake" that it was somehow only partially fake, that the storylines were essentially true and that the wrestling was somehow still mostly real. Maybe my recall isn't that great but it felt like it was around 2000 or 2001 that plots and so forth got so absurd I was no longer capable of suspending my disbelief.

I actually do indy wrestling around the North East US.   I will be at the Buffalo and Pittsburgh Sept ROH shows and if you can make out I encourage you to do so.  The majority of workers in WWE and NXT that everyone loves came from ROH.

Tony if you are a smark and haven't seen this yet I highly highly recommend it

www.highspotsondemand.com

It blows WWE network out of the water  and the Rev Pro shows from the UK are gold  just look at the matchlistings and you will love it.

Also if you haven't seen any of them please check out IWA-MS   Ted Petty Invitational  tournament.  2002-2004 are my all time favorite shows.   AJ Styles, Samoa Joe, Cm Punk,  Chris Hero, Nigel, Danielson.  Roddy Strong,  and tons tons more in one tournament.    If you have any other questions or want recommendations  feel free to shoot me a pm.  

Oh cool, so are you on the Buffalo card or your saying you will be attending?

I was very into WWF up until maybe 1999 or 2000. As a middle schooler I somehow believed despite having heard "wrestling is fake" that it was somehow only partially fake, that the storylines were essentially true and that the wrestling was somehow still mostly real. Maybe my recall isn't that great but it felt like it was around 2000 or 2001 that plots and so forth got so absurd I was no longer capable of suspending my disbelief.

I think that has something to do with there only being 1 big wrestling promotion of the WWF starting in 2001.  Competition is good.

Edited by Stwlegend

Guest Idioteque

Foats, I wish. I live in Vancouver, the most we get is 1 Smackdown house show every 3 years & ECCW events. Tommy Dreamer wrestles on some indie brand across the street from where we keep our horses every now & then. I'm way too nervous to ever go up to him, I'd probably have 2000 questions to ask him. 

That's awesome you're involved with ROH! I bet you have some war stories to tell. I've followed them for nearly a decade & my biggest dream would have been to go to a "War of the Worlds" event, best of both worlds. 

Still the only reason I tune in on RAW is to see what Sami & Kevin are doing, probably one of the best feuds in history. NXT is alot more bearable. 

Do you know any good cheap websites to buy Indie dvds? I have hundreds of music dvds but when it comes to wrestling I've collected 0. The prices can add up so quickly. 4 dvds =$100 like WHAT? I just want some PWG man!

Hey Tony,

If you get the monthly highspots  channel it has every pwg show up until 2015 I believe.  The Steen- Generico PWG ladder match was insane.   Tommy Dreamer is really easy going. He would probably talk to you as long as you wanted. He was the champ here for IWC.    

If your not into that highspots channel I can give you some info to get cheap indy dvd's.    But if it's PWG you want  definitely go to www.highspotsondemand.com    Check out the IWAMS and REVPRO shows on there too.  Lots of gold for $10 a month.  Currently they have over 900 full shows and shoot interviews.

Guest Idioteque

I keep getting "This website can't be reached" when I click the official website for highspots, I thought the website got shut down or something. 

Thanks, definitely going to try and make it.  This Friday, the minor league baseball team here in Buffalo is having a "Legends of Wrestling" event.  Eric Bischoff, the Nasty Boys, the Destroyer and Jimmy Hart.  I think a few others too.  Autograph session and I think cutting promos in between innings lol.

I watched WWF from 1988 until around 2002-2003.  After that I have no idea what has happened. I totally missed the Cena and whoever came after eras.  I went to college with some guys who started their own "backyard" wrestling federation and saw a show at sault college once.  Wasn't too bad.  Good times.

I used to LOVE wrestling and as a kid I fantasized about being a wrestler, made my own belt replica's etc;  Ahh to be a kid again.

Edited by Sly Botts

Now that you mention it, I remember in high school going to a roller rink that was rented out by a bunch of kids a few years older than me.  Everyone was going through light tubes, tables, tacks and chairs.  And then the VHS of these events were available the following Monday at class, we used to go nuts for these tapes.  Kind of insane looking back, especially all we know now with concussions. It was just another Friday night back then lol. 

Now that you mention it, I remember in high school going to a roller rink that was rented out by a bunch of kids a few years older than me.  Everyone was going through light tubes, tables, tacks and chairs.  And then the VHS of these events were available the following Monday at class, we used to go nuts for these tapes.  Kind of insane looking back, especially all we know now with concussions. It was just another Friday night back then lol. 

Not to mention breathing in the powder from those lights will kill you eventually.  Yay for mercury. lol

Not to mention breathing in the powder from those lights will kill you eventually.  Yay for mercury. lol

Haha, didn't even think of that part.  I don't think the next generation of kids do this backyard hardcore stuff anymore, especially at the level of organization I remember, whether it's because they are a little smarter than we were or its basically not allowed at a lot of venues.

Most states won't allow it anymore. Strict on blood.  Show in Pittsburgh tonight with 2 cages and probably will be no blood.  If you are anywhere near Toronto I would check out SMASH wrestling.  Tons of big names and UK and Japan talent come in each show.

Most states won't allow it anymore. Strict on blood.  Show in Pittsburgh tonight with 2 cages and probably will be no blood.  If you are anywhere near Toronto I would check out SMASH wrestling.  Tons of big names and UK and Japan talent come in each show.

Definitely will check that out.  Actually decided to try that ROH show in Sept here in Buffalo with a few buddies who I used to watch with back in the day, and are hardcore fans of the independents and the WWE still today.  I will bring this up to them and try to get some stand out matches.  Btw, you still going to that 17th ROH show?

Watched UFC 203 last night, anyone have any interest with the ex-WWE guy CM Punk involved?  He was beaten badly but the bar by me was loaded with wrestling fans, was interesting to see all the hype (and probably buys) he added.  I usually watch UFC but I will admit I made it a point to get out there and watch. 2 minutes later, i would say 25% of the bar cleared out when his match ended.

Edited by Stwlegend

I have known Punk personally since 2002.  He is one of those guys you either like or you hate.  He is identical to the character he portrayed in WWE.   I had worked shows with him in Cleveland and Pittsburgh.  Never had a problem with him but I know many people did. I was pulling for him to do better than what he showed last night.   About to watch the WWE Backlash ppv as another good friend AJ Styles is wrestling for the WWE title.