emmit643

Fine Art

I've been pretty bored, and laid up basically doing nothing all week since I popped my knee out working at a camp on Monday (file under FML) but I recorded a new MG cover. One of my faves; especially the line "I used to think I'd get over everything, but everything just got over me" [can you tell I'm feeling a bit isolated this week?? lol]

https://soundcloud.com/emmit643/fine-art-of-falling-apart

Cool cover, i like your take.  Really liked your Lana Del Ray covers too.  Sorry about the knee but enjoy the time off from work at the very least!

Thanks! MG and Lana are prob my two fave artists to cover.

I'll say I kind of enjoyed the first day or two off, and now I'm so bored. Been out since Monday. I've watched almost 2 entires seasons (3 and 4) of Buffy. It's not old yet, but I'm sure it will be soon...

That's fantastic. You changed the timing too, which is also impressive. It makes the lyrical cadence totally different and unique.

I'm playing it tonight. The biggest hurdle with that song has always been the open tuning it was written and recorded in. It was done in DADGAD, but given that my standard tuning has been in Eflat since 1998, that means that open tuning is a half step down. Keeping a guitar in tune that low was so hard that I had to devote a single guitar to it - with heavier strings and to be set up just to accommodate it. Even then, it never stayed in tune. So my recent decision was to not sing the verses as low and do it just with a capo on the third fret. So: Verse - G/Em/Am/C and Chorus - Em/G/C - but with the high E open tuned down to a D.

Wow. Number one, thanks for listening!! It is very surreal to know that your favourite artist has listened to you do one of their songs, and liked it. 

Definitely wish I could see it tonight, gives me chills every time. I played it Capo 3 also, not quite those chords though. Mostly because I'm not too fancy with the guitar and thought my voice sounded good there.

Now I just have to figure out how to work this into every conversation I have for the next week. ;)

Now I just have to figure out how to work this into every conversation I have for the next week. ;)

That's awesome. I would too if that were me.

I like that one the best out of all of your Matt Good covers. You have a nice, soothing voice and I enjoyed your guitar playing. It's nice music to chill out to. You should do an open mic sometime in Calgary with all your MG covers. I've never hear MG covers live before.

Edited by girl

That's awesome. I would too if that were me.

I like that one the best out of all of your Matt Good covers. You have a nice, soothing voice and I enjoyed your guitar playing. It's nice music to chill out to. You should do an open mic sometime in Calgary with all your MG covers. I've never hear MG covers live before.

If I'm ever in Calgary, I'll definitely hit you up! I've never been to Western Canada, so it's on the list. 

It's a great take on this song, which has always been one of my favourites.

Pretty high praise coming from Matt.  Put it on a t-shirt!

Thanks! All this positive feedback is really turning my sad/boring/isolated/gimpy week up! :P

Wow. Number one, thanks for listening!! It is very surreal to know that your favourite artist has listened to you do one of their songs, and liked it. 

Definitely wish I could see it tonight, gives me chills every time. I played it Capo 3 also, not quite those chords though. Mostly because I'm not too fancy with the guitar and thought my voice sounded good there.

Talk about fate, would you have done this cover if your knee didn't pop? lol

• Upvote 1

Nice job Emma, I love this cover! One of my fav Matthew Good songs! Best part is how you took it in your own direction, freshly familiar :)

Thanks!

Talk about fate, would you have done this cover if your knee didn't pop? lol

I actually worked this into a set at a wedding the saturday before I popped my knee out (I was casual background music during the cocktail hour, so I slipped it in among the love songs and other stuff) so it was on the list to be recorded soon, but had I not been injured, no probably not with this timing! 

I had my follow up appointment with the orthopedist today...I'm off work until September 19th... :/ such a long time...

Guess it's more time to record.

I've started running again after breaking my ankle last year and it is oh-so-fun.

I am oh-so-lying.

You had me going there for a minute. I was going to give you a high five.

You're good.

Poor Emma! Glad this is giving you an opportunity to be creative though. Your voice is beautiful and I love Matt Good covers from everyone, but you're the master.

When you're on your feet again, do get yourself a high-quality knee brace if your doctor is cool with that. I found it oh-so-helpful.

I've started running again after breaking my ankle last year and it is oh-so-fun.

I am oh-so-lying.

haha thanks!

I actually have a scrip for a better brace now, which I wasn't gonna upgrade to ($$) but found out all supplies are covered (my workplace first told me they weren't) so I'm probably gonna check it out soon. I'm basically afraid to start back with anything when I'm healed. I never want this to happen again. But I'm super missing spinning. So they second I'm cleared for that I'll be back in the studio for sure.