finboy

Will We Ever Get To See/hear "ahead By A Century"

Matt played this at a private event in Calgary, it was nice to hear someone we are all such big fans of tip their hat to another Canadian artist. It got me wondering if Matt would ever play the song again live.

Is it something you would want to hear on tour? Any other canadiana songs you think his voice would work well on?

I'm American and really never knew anything about The Tragically Hip until the news about Gord made headlines. I took a listen and the first song I clicked on was Bobcaygeon. I thought it was such a beautiful song, and the story behind it is very interesting. I bought the album that it's on shortly afterward. Shame about how everything went down but at least he was well enough to do one more tour for his fans. I think that's great.

Would be awesome to hear Matt Good cover "Bobcaygeon" someday.

I'm American and really never knew anything about The Tragically Hip until the news about Gord made headlines. I took a listen and the first song I clicked on was Bobcaygeon. I thought it was such a beautiful song, and the story behind it is very interesting. I bought the album that it's on shortly afterward. Shame about how everything went down but at least he was well enough to do one more tour for his fans. I think that's great.

Would be awesome to hear Matt Good cover "Bobcaygeon" someday.

I think a lot of us take their music for granted.  I'm just used to hearing it all the time, so it blows my mind to hear that someone is just discovering.

If you haven't found it yet, check out Nautical Disaster.  

I think a lot of us take their music for granted.  I'm just used to hearing it all the time, so it blows my mind to hear that someone is just discovering.

If you haven't found it yet, check out Nautical Disaster.  

Over the summer I listened to a lot of tracks on Youtube that would just come on one after the other while I was at work. I'm pretty sure Nautical Disaster was among those.

Very solid rock band all around.

Edited by Gomo

Ugh, this band is so very overrated.  I never got the appeal and unfortunately they've become one of Canada‘s most known bands.  I don't have any problem with the music, but it doesn't do much for me.  What I really dislike though is Gord´s voice.  He has an absolutely terrible voice for singing that always sounds the same and is grating on the ears.  In my opinion he is not a singer and if I can't get on board with the vocals I can't get on board with the band.

• Downvote 2

The Hip are a national treasure, and Gord's voice is everything. I can listen to that soothing voice of his forever. Just listen to the album version of 'I Will Not Be Struck' on Gord Downie's The Secret Path. It makes me feel better just listening to it.

Guest Idioteque

It took me seeing Hip 3 times live & years of casually listening to finally "get" The Tragically Hip.

They are Canada's ACDC, our REM. Gord's 24 year old voice vs his 40 year old voice do sound practically the same lol Matt on the other hand had to change his vocal style due to his throat, but with that said I can listen to hours of MGB/MG without getting fatigued compared to The Hip.

I probably would have given Nickelback more of a chance if they also changed up their sound, Silver Side Up is a beast of an album.