daniel_v

Old Mgb Comedy Interviews

Just recently got my VHS player working again and came across a couple great comedy interviews Matt did with Much Music back in the day that I haven't seen on YouTube. Gonna post some more throughout the week. This is the first one. Sorry I can't embed it as I'm posting this through my phone.

• Like 1

Here's another (only a year and a half later than I said I would, lol, sorry).

I think I'll upload their 1998 Much Music Video Awards performance next in a separate thread (probably later this week).

Edited by daniel_v
  • Upvote 1

On 6/6/2018 at 11:48 PM, GhettoAstronaut said:

Wow, what a find Daniel! Looking forward to seeing the '98 MMVA video. 

It's coming. I finally got a good frame capture from my TV to cell phone and uploaded it to Youtube, but the lighting was just terrible on account (I think) because of the lamp in my living room being on. I'm gonna try recording it again tomorrow night with it off to see if it makes a difference. Hopefully it will and then I'll post a public link here. 

13 hours ago, MatthewGoodFan101 said:

Are you sure that Apparitions performance is from the 98 MMVAs? Because Rich is performing with the band, and I thought he didn't join the band till 99. Also, there's footage from the 98 MMVAs from the Much More Music bio which shows Geoff still with the band.

Good question. After a little research....I honestly don't know.

At first I was going to say for sure, yes because when Rachel introduces the band she seems to say "We're here with 1998 MMVA award winners, the Matthew Good Band". I don't know why she would introduce them like that, and what the band would have been doing there performing 2 random songs (they also did Rico), if it wasn't at the MMVAs.

However, I was just looking through the Dec 1998 Chart Attack Magazine where MGB was voted band of the year, and inside it only has Matt, Ian, and Dave for the photo shoot noting that Geoff had "just recently" parted ways with the band. More to the point, it noted how they were supposed to play a New Years Eve show with Econoline Crush to usher in 1999. As such, unless they just had some random player fill in for that show, I believe it would have been Rich's first show with the band on Dec 31st, 1998 considering that after October 29th, 1998 they didn't play any shows up until that New Years Eve show (provided Chad's site is correct- http://mattgood.plastic-soldier.com/tour-1998.php  )

The issue with that theory though is that the 1998 MMVA's apparently happened on September 24th, 1998, so Rich would have had to have joined the band before December, which doesn't fit with the time line of the CA mag interview. 

As such there are only a few answers I can think of:

1- It was indeed the 1998 MMVA's and Rich simply wasn't an "official" member of the band yet. Hence why he was there for the September 24th performance, but not included in the Dec 1998 photo shoot for Chart Attack.

2- Rich's first show was indeed actually on Dec 31st, 1998 meaning the date listed online for the 1998 MMVAs is wrong, and that they actually did the 98 MMVAs in the new year of 1999 (though this seems unlikely as it would sort of defeat the name of awards show). 

Anyone else have any other ideas? 

Edited by daniel_v

2 hours ago, daniel_v said:

Good question. After a little research....I honestly don't know.

At first I was going to say for sure, yes because when Rachel introduces the band she seems to say "We're here with 1998 MMVA award winners, the Matthew Good Band". I don't know why she would introduce them like that, and what the band would have been doing there performing 2 random songs (they also did Rico), if it wasn't at the MMVAs.

However, I was just looking through the Dec 1998 Chart Attack Magazine where MGB was voted band of the year, and inside it only has Matt, Ian, and Dave for the photo shoot noting that Geoff had "just recently" parted ways with the band. More to the point, it noted how they were supposed to play a New Years Eve show with Econoline Crush to usher in 1999. As such, unless they just had some random player fill in for that show, I believe it would have been Rich's first show with the band on Dec 31st, 1998 considering that after October 29th, 1998 they didn't play any shows up until that New Years Eve show (provided Chad's site is correct- http://mattgood.plastic-soldier.com/tour-1998.php  )

The issue with that theory though is that the 1998 MMVA's apparently happened on September 24th, 1998, so Rich would have had to have joined the band before December, which doesn't fit with the time line of the CA mag interview. 

As such there are only a few answers I can think of:

1- It was indeed the 1998 MMVA's and Rich simply wasn't an "official" member of the band yet. Hence why he was there for the September 24th performance, but not included in the Dec 1998 photo shoot for Chart Attack.

2- Rich's first show was indeed actually on Dec 31st, 1998 meaning the date listed online for the 1998 MMVAs is wrong, and that they actually did the 98 MMVAs in the new year of 1999 (though this seems unlikely as it would sort of defeat the name of awards show). 

Anyone else have any other ideas? 

I would go for answer number 1. Geoff's departure was announced on the band's website on November 13, 1998 but maybe it had been decided way before that. Rich would have needed time to learn the old and new songs but they would have started with the songs they would play on their most pressant engagements such as the MMVAs.

Plus, Geoff said that the real reason he left was because of Matt's telling him to play a certain way on Beautiful Midnight: 

"Beautiful Midnight rubbed me the wrong way so I bailed.I was asked to play a certain way that wasn't natural for me and I left. Simple as that."

When asked to explain further he said: 

"I play like me or I don't play. Does that make sence???

I like to play melodically and I was asked to play straight 8ths...I'm not a robot.

In a cover band if it's the bass part yes by all means but new, fresh music...no.

I probably would have entertained the idea if I was asked but I was told."

And also "I don't even remember Lo-Fi sessions." and that he "quit during BM pre-pro" adding "Pre production. Rough song ideas in a rehearsal room. Ask Matt....I threw my bass at him because I was wound up like a cheap watch.....and drunk....my fault. Not denying it."

Given that Lo-Fi B-Sides was given with Underdogs in 1998, I would think that Geoff was actually already out of the band during the summer.

All the quotes are from the Ask Geoff (Memorial Thread). 

That story actually led me to believe that this Non Populus lyric was about Geoff:

"Might have rubbed you the wrong way but that's all over now"

Given he died at the beginning of 2010 while Matt was writing LOES. I also think "A Short Time On Earth" is about him.

But I digress. 

4 hours ago, daniel_v said:

its possible there were shows in between, tour date info for back then is spotty, and I know earlier years are missing many small bar shows (my older sister went to many Vancouver shows in the early days and hung out with Geoff often, as she tells me)

Using Archive.org, on the official site, it was posted Nov 13, 1998 that "Geoff Lloyd, bassist of the Matthew Good Band, left the crew a couple of days ago."
and bouncing around through random archived fansites, best I can find is a Feb 2, 1999 posting about the new bassist being Rich

12 minutes ago, foats said:

I asked matt on twitter. Maybe he will respond.

I doubt it. I think he left social networks for good bar Instagram (where comments are permanently closed). I'm pretty sure he handed his Twitter account to the "MG Team".

5 hours ago, PlasticSoldier said:

its possible there were shows in between, tour date info for back then is spotty, and I know earlier years are missing many small bar shows (my older sister went to many Vancouver shows in the early days and hung out with Geoff often, as she tells me)

Using Archive.org, on the official site, it was posted Nov 13, 1998 that "Geoff Lloyd, bassist of the Matthew Good Band, left the crew a couple of days ago."
and bouncing around through random archived fansites, best I can find is a Feb 2, 1999 posting about the new bassist being Rich

A little off topic, but I just wanted to say how awesome your site is, btw. The amount of work you've put into that thing is just astounding. Really appreciate all the rare downloads and info on there. I was looking for a full copy of the NMW West speech Matt did in 2002 for a while and your site was the only place I could find it, plus the tour dates and set lists (even if incomplete) are a really cool wealth of dates/info to have.

So yeah, muchly appreciated. 

And thanks (along with TIPS) for the info about when Geoff officially left. Also helps with determining the possible date of the performance. 

Edited by daniel_v
  • Like 1

On 6/19/2018 at 2:47 PM, MatthewGoodFan101 said:

Are you sure that Apparitions performance is from the 98 MMVAs? Because Rich is performing with the band, and I thought he didn't join the band till 99. Also, there's footage from the 98 MMVAs from the Much More Music bio which shows Geoff still with the band.

Just out of curiosity, what part shows them at the 98 MMVAs? It's been a while since I've watched the MMM Bio, but I don't recall seeing a clip of them from there.  

Edit- Never mind, just found it at the 17:48 mark. You're right, Geoff is there as they're telling Bill he won for best director so there's no way the performance could have been from the 1998 MMVAs. My bad. Thanks for the clarification. I'll change the title. 

Edited by daniel_v

9 hours ago, daniel_v said:

A little off topic, but I just wanted to say how awesome your site is, btw. The amount of work you've put into that thing is just astounding. Really appreciate all the rare downloads and info on there. I was looking for a full copy of the NMW West speech Matt did in 2002 for a while and your site was the only place I could find it, plus the tour dates and set lists (even if incomplete) are a really cool wealth of dates/info to have

Thank you! I know my traffic isn't what it used to be, so some may not see the updates, but I still like to have it there as much as I can!

it sucks how hard it is to find old info, so I like to try to have as much as I can right there for easy to find.

I used to have an archive of articles but in an update it got removed to be revamped, and then lost to stupid hard drive deaths haha probably had a bunch of info we want now