gursky

2017 Tour: Beautiful Midnight Revisited

On a side note. What is with all these fans on his social media requesting BM songs to be played in their city. Do they not understand the concept at all? Every show will hear every song on that album! I cant wait till those same people still dont understand the night of the show and stand there shouting requests for non beautiful midnight songs in the middle of the main set. Im going to 11 shows. I volunteer to stand up to the Mic and give everyone a disclaimer cause clearly too many haven't figured it out yet despite Matt's very clear posts pointing out his intentions on several occasions haha

I would vote for that. That would be funny. You'd be doing us a great service. That could very well stop the random yelling of songs.

Rob Baker of the The Tragically Hip did something like that before The Hip's farewell shows. He used the PA system to give 5 minute and 30 minute warnings before the show. He had a deep, sophisticated voice and he would say, "Ladies and gentlemen, this is Rob from the Hip. The show will begin in approximately 5 minutes. If you're not in your seats, I'll be very disappointed."

Anyhow, I do recall Matt talking about Born To Kill on a bootleg from 2011. He was joking about the songs he could remember and he said "Born to kill, all seven and a half fucking minutes of down dirt...[inaudible]". You could already understand he didn't particularly like it :P

I remember hearing that recording. I think it was in Edmonton.

I would vote for that. That would be funny. You'd be doing us a great service. That could very well stop the random yelling of songs.

Rob Baker of the The Tragically Hip did something like that before The Hip's farewell shows. He used the PA system to give 5 minute and 30 minute warnings before the show. He had a deep, sophisticated voice and he would say, "Ladies and gentlemen, this is Rob from the Hip. The show will begin in approximately 5 minutes. If you're not in your seats, I'll be very disappointed."

I remember hearing that recording. I think it was in Edmonton.

Yes I happened to just listen to that the other day, it is the Edmonton 2011 show that Gursky recorded.  A fan repeatedly yells BORN TO KILLLL  and Matt addresses it with a rant where he ponders why people come to shows to yell requests.  Pointing out that nobody goes to the opera and screams for another program to be played.  Its quite funny, of course lost on the fan as he yells once more "Is it Born to Kill" after Matt says "i'm going to play something." 

As for the disclaimer bit, I guess I just have to try and put myself in the shoes of the casual fan.  Here on The Bored we've known Matt was thinking about a BM style tour for about a year now, and he confirmed it probably 5 months ago.  I guess to some casual fans they just heard Matt was coming and bought tickets.  However, they do seem to follow his social media, at least enough to comment on it, so I am still confused how so many don't get what the tour is about.  

I listened to the 'Heckling at a Ballet' banter again last night. I have to say that is the best Matthew Good rant ever. He should do stand up comedy. I laughed when I heard it. It also reminded me what a great, crystal clear recording that was. It was like being there in person. Nice job gursky.

This place sure is quiet. There is only like one post per week. Maybe things will pick up when the tour starts, or if Matt posts in here, on the rare occasions that he does.

Edited by girl

Yeah its quiet, but there isn't much happening at the moment, but it will pick up in a couple days.  Matt just finished rehearsals today and is heading home, for some much needed time with his family.  I dont think hes been home with his family since before that X-mas vacation, so Im sure getting back to his own place and own bed will be a nice but brief respite before a nearly two month tour.  

On the plus side tickets appear to be selling good Four BC shows are sold out with the other three somewhere between 12-25 tickets away from selling out.  Looks like five Ontario shows and Halifax have also sold out and many others could sell out by the time the tour rolls around.  

I agree with that recording, I listened to it recently with a girl who was at the show for her first Matt Good concert.  She shared some memories before we listened and one thing she mentioned was this annoying fan who presistantly yelled Born to Kill.  Well of course the recording was so clear it was so obvious to hear the exchanges she remembered.  And agreed, fantastic rant from Matt and so true, why is music and concerts so acceptable to that kind of behaviour?  It doesn't transfer to other mediums.  I've never seen someone at an Ansel Adams exhibit belligerently yelling at museum personnel to display their favourite photograph. 

Edited by adam_777

It would be like going to a golf event and shouting "use the 7 iron"   or at a tennis match and shouting "show em the backhand"  it just makes the person doing it look like a tool.  I remember over a yr ago bringing up Matt touring a complete album as multiple bands (weezer, our lady peace, glassjaw, a few others)  had been doing this and having huge success.  It is great that Matt is doing it and has sold a ton of tickets as well.  Looks as if Sloan, Tea Party, U2, and Pearl Jam have played complete albums recently and are also having great success in doing so.  A lot of today's music lovers are sick of the shit they hear on pop radio and want to go back to the good times. The good times for many are the 90's or early 2000's when they were in school.  It's not just music though  look at video games with the classic nes and genesis making huge comebacks. Look at TV and movies with all the reboots.  People want to go retro. Nobody wants to hear the same pop shit on radio cycle every 40 mins.  Nobody wants to turn on their TV and see the same reality (newsflash it isn't real) TV shows every night.  

I am willing to bet  that Matt could have the same success with touring underdogs or even Audio Of Being  from start to finish  because it's going to bring out both the casual and diehard fans. Most bands/artist make their money off of touring not selling cd's  and I truly hope every show sells out for Matt because the guy truly deserves it.

It would be like going to a golf event and shouting "use the 7 iron"   or at a tennis match and shouting "show em the backhand"  it just makes the person doing it look like a tool.  I remember over a yr ago bringing up Matt touring a complete album as multiple bands (weezer, our lady peace, glassjaw, a few others)  had been doing this and having huge success.  It is great that Matt is doing it and has sold a ton of tickets as well.  Looks as if Sloan, Tea Party, U2, and Pearl Jam have played complete albums recently and are also having great success in doing so.  A lot of today's music lovers are sick of the shit they hear on pop radio and want to go back to the good times. The good times for many are the 90's or early 2000's when they were in school.  It's not just music though  look at video games with the classic nes and genesis making huge comebacks. Look at TV and movies with all the reboots.  People want to go retro. Nobody wants to hear the same pop shit on radio cycle every 40 mins.  Nobody wants to turn on their TV and see the same reality (newsflash it isn't real) TV shows every night.  

I am willing to bet  that Matt could have the same success with touring underdogs or even Audio Of Being  from start to finish  because it's going to bring out both the casual and diehard fans. Most bands/artist make their money off of touring not selling cd's  and I truly hope every show sells out for Matt because the guy truly deserves it.

Yeah nostalgia is a huge marketing factor these days baby boomers are nostalgic for the 50's and 60's Gen X'ers for the 70's and 80's and Gen Y'ers for the 90's-2000's.  But I appreciate this new approach.  Its a fantastic way to keep everyone happy because you are still playing hits, but you're also introducing deep cuts that haven't been played forever and as Matt has stressed are hard to plunk into a setlist because you want to play new stuff and hits, which kind of kills the opportunity for older deep cuts to make it.  

Haha your sports analogies are hilarious.  I'm killing myself laughing thinking of some guy screaming out what club to use at a golf match.  

For those that did the VIP upgrade, it is now "early February 2017" so we should expect to see an email about voting on one of the songs to be performed in soundcheck arriving soon.

Even though the tour starts this weekend in Victoria, the first VIP experience isn't until Vancouver on the 16th.  Rehearsals wrapped on the 31st but I wonder if the songs available for voting get worked through by the band during the first few non-VIP experience soundchecks and then an email goes out with potential songs early next week?  

This is all speculation, I imagine I'm not the only one curious to know what the song options are, hopefully the email hasn't already gone out and I missed it.  

I was actually thinking about this today Sean.   I'm curious about some of the songs the band will play for an encore and thought that doing some of the Loser Anthem tracks would be perfect.  The songs were outtakes from Beautiful Midnight anyways if I am not mistaken.

For those that did the VIP upgrade, it is now "early February 2017" so we should expect to see an email about voting on one of the songs to be performed in soundcheck arriving soon.

Even though the tour starts this weekend in Victoria, the first VIP experience isn't until Vancouver on the 16th.  Rehearsals wrapped on the 31st but I wonder if the songs available for voting get worked through by the band during the first few non-VIP experience soundchecks and then an email goes out with potential songs early next week?  

This is all speculation, I imagine I'm not the only one curious to know what the song options are, hopefully the email hasn't already gone out and I missed it.  

Dude on the Matt Good FB page mentioned he emailed them about when the details would be emailed to us ...this was a few days ago and at the time the response was "in a week or so"...so should be this week if they stay true to that.

I was actually thinking about this today Sean.   I'm curious about some of the songs the band will play for an encore and thought that doing some of the Loser Anthem tracks would be perfect.  The songs were outtakes from Beautiful Midnight anyways if I am not mistaken.

Loser Anthems hasn't seen airtime in a while, that would a pretty fitting match to the Beautiful Midnight set.  I don't want to get too greedy if I'm already hearing Born to Kill and Running for Home but Flashdance II as an encore opener would be pretty rad.  I'm excited to get this tour started but I don't know if I can avoid setlist spoilers until the Alberta shows as I'm really curious what could happen for an encore.  

Dude on the Matt Good FB page mentioned he emailed them about when the details would be emailed to us ...this was a few days ago and at the time the response was "in a week or so"...so should be this week if they stay true to that.

I check on Twitter, occasionally Instagram and here for news but I skip the Facebook page.  I need to broaden my social game.  Good to know that wheels are in motion.  

Like you Gursky I seldom check the facebook page, seems like not much happens there info wise, just alot of fans asking for shows in their hometown, regardless of what continent it's on.  Instagram and twitter are obviously updated by Matt himself so I go there to get things from the horses mouth so to speak.  Even though its slow at times, NF is still my main source because not only are current things discussed but usually in some detail and with show and cd reviews that go more in depth than "The Best EVA!" 

I like the idea of the Loser Anthems stuff, I love it actually, but I really don't think we'll see it.  Playing Beautiful Midnight is a nod to the diehard fans, half the show is going to be obscure deep tracks that many fans in attendance won't know.  With that in mind I just can't see the encore being even more obscure stuff.  I figure Apparitions weapon and Born Losers will be pretty standard.  Switch out a couple other hits like Everything is Automatic maybe Carmelina and thats about what I'm expecting.  Course if he came out and started into anything other than the expected I'd love it, but I'm happy with anything, the Beautiful Midnight set gives me a great balance of hits to rarity anyways so I'll be beyond pleased with these shows sets. 

I too am hoping for some news on the voted on songs, I think that would be pretty interesting.  I'm going to two of the Vancouver VIP's so I'm assuming by the end of the week I should be seeing an email with a list.  I wonder if the list will stay the same as the tour goes or if other songs will be factored in as the tour rolls on.  Another forum member mentioned it and I agree, it will be kind of cool to see which cities and which VIP experiences vote for what song.   

the majority of Matt's band has played with him for a few tours on which Apparitions and Automatic have been played on everyone so I wouldn't think hearing those two would be unrealistic at all.  Deep Six though as you said might be more of a wishlist.  How many new songs does the band usually work up per tour? 10-12 tracks off the new album plus a few other rarities like Carmelina and full band Advertising for last tour.  So based on that I would think the band probably had to spend some time working on about 10 of the BM songs (im assuming Giant, Time Bomb, Load Me Up and X-rated the band is pretty well versed on) so perhaps a few others could have had time to be worked on for the encores. I would think anything played on the last tour is at least a possibility because it could probably be worked out fairly quickly.  But I remain doubtful about older deep album cuts showing up.  

I wouldn't mind some stuff from Arrows making it into the encores. Guns of Carolina. Garden of Knives. Solid tracks.

And even though we get it a lot, I never complain when weapon is an encore song. It's just such a solid closer.

Although the more I think about it, hearing Pledge of Allegiance or In a World Called Catastrophe would be pretty primo too.

Though I assume we will probably be voting from a smaller pool of songs, and not the entire catalogue.

Still no word on who the bass guitarist is. Usually they would have announced it by now. With it being so close to the 11th, maybe they want it to be a big surprise or something. I don't think it would just be Matt, Blake and Stu. The suspense is killing me, wondering who it is. There's probably a 99% chance that it's not Rich.

Edited by girl

Guns would be great and Pledge I'd be in ecstasy.

Yes the bassist mystery is killing me too! The only reason not to reveal would be as a surprise - no? I'm thinking it could only have been Rich then...but Stu said no...

Edited by Allthewayout

Guns would be great and Pledge I'd be in ecstasy.

Yes the bassist mystery is killing me too! The only reason not to reveal would be as a surprise - no? I'm thinking it could only be Rich then. What was said about Rich? Did he out right deny it when asked?

That would be so cool, and yet it would make more sense to announce it was Rich when the tickets went on sale to maybe give the sales a possible bump.

I wish Dave and/or Matt would just man the hell up and talk through their issues like adults, I would be 10x more hyped for an Audio of Being Revisited tour with the gang all back together to do the tour that never was.  Probably will never happen but every fan would lose their shit if it did. What hope is there for peace between Israel/Palestine if 2 musicians can't even get over their squabbles from 2 decades ago.  AOB was their best album IMO.

Bass player is a mystery, but Im assuming we'll have a piano player too? I mean Strange Days if done like the album would require it, and how could you do Running for Home without it? 

Could play a tape.  But it wouldn't even be close to the same.

I wish Dave and/or Matt would just man the hell up and talk through their issues like adults, I would be 10x more hyped for an Audio of Being Revisited tour with the gang all back together to do the tour that never was.  Probably will never happen but every fan would lose their shit if it did. What hope is there for peace between Israel/Palestine if 2 musicians can't even get over their squabbles from 2 decades ago.  AOB was their best album IMO.

Yeah, that would be nice.

Imagine what would happen if Dave and Matt went on tour together and ended the show like this. The crowd would go wild. That would be the best reunion concert in history and would be a great ending to a chapter.

MAC36_BOYDEN_POST07.jpg

Edited by girl

I wouldn't mind some stuff from Arrows making it into the encores. Guns of Carolina. Garden of Knives. Solid tracks.

And even though we get it a lot, I never complain when weapon is an encore song. It's just such a solid closer.

Although the more I think about it, hearing Pledge of Allegiance or In a World Called Catastrophe would be pretty primo too.

Though I assume we will probably be voting from a smaller pool of songs, and not the entire catalogue.

So many other great tracks to pull from...Pledge would be nice. Great Whales, Boy Who Could Explode, Non Populus, Champions....

Pledge of Allegiance would be cool.  Haven't heard that one live before.  Vancouver doesn't really get a lot of love from Matt when it comes to set lists.  Loved Great Whales and Vancouver National Anthem a lot.  Champions would be another pick for me, but I won't have a vote, so here's hoping it gets some love.

My most-requested one though is definitely:

https://youtu.be/TShxaylXgdk