gursky

2017 Tour: Beautiful Midnight Revisited

Yeah I do wonder why Matt stopped playing any songs from Arrows.

I thought maybe it was just because it was the most recent album (before CN) and it had just gotten a full tour in 2013? I could be wrong though. Like maybe next tour around a few tracks might make an appearance.

Edited by emmit643

I think the Arrows stuff got pushed aside quicker than material from other albums from Matt's solo career.  Typically he does a tour where he plays the majority of not all of the album, then on the next tour he focuses more on the new album but still retains 1-3 songs from the album before in the sets.  

On the Hospital Music full band tour Put out Your Lights and Blue Skies were played frequently.  

On the Vancouver tour Blue Skies, It's Been Awhile and Alert were still played occasionally, and about half a dozen Hospital Music songs were filtered in and out, with some being mainstays. 

On the Lights Tour Alert and it's been awhile are still played sometimes, Hospital Music is represented by Born Losers at every show and the occasional Champions and Vancouver is reduced to Last Parade and Boy Who Could Explode at half the shows while Silent Army and Great Whales are played a few times

On Arrows Tour Alert is now the only thing being played from WLRRR, A handful of Hospital Music songs are played, Born Losers is played every night and Champions is played as a rarity.  Last Parade is now the only thing from Vancouver being played.  Shallows Low and Non Populus are played at the majority of shows.  

Chaotic Tour (this tour also had the VIP songs, so a few rarities that wouldn't have probably been played, did get played)  From WLRRR Empty Road, Alert and Blue Skies are played from Hospital Music Born Losers, A single Explosion, Metal Airplanes and True Love.  From Vancouver nothing is played.  From Lights only How It Goes is played and only at the VIPs.  From Arrows nothing is played.  

So as you can see, Arrows is the only album to have none of it's tracks played on the following tour.  And it stands out even more because the VIP shows gave additional opportunities for them to be played that weren't there on previous tours.  

Matt did tend to play alot of Chaotic Neutral songs in one show.  For instance the tour opener in Victoria had 10 of Chaotic's 11 songs played.  So naturally with a set like that and you throw in the songs that get played at basically every show like Born Losers, Apparitions, Load me Up and Weapon and you have your 14 song set which is average for a MG show.  So I think the lack of Arrows songs could have less to do with Matt's feelings towards that album, and more to do with his feelings towards Chaotic Neutral.  He gave a major precedence to Chaotic songs while Vancouver, Lights and Arrows were all not played at all.  

Edited by adam_777

So as you can see, Arrows is the only album to have none of it's tracks played on the following tour.  And it stands out even more because the VIP shows gave additional opportunities for them to be played that weren't there on previous tours.  

I don't have the setlist info on hand but what about the Avalanche tour? Most of the setlists from that era were dominated by WLRR and Avalanche songs and on the next tour, a good majority of the latter was gone not to be played again. 

Songs are always cut off.  But the Avalanche songs are and still were played to some degree, During the WLRRR tour songs like Avalanche, Weapon, Catastrophe, Bright End of Nowhere and 21st Century living were still played.  Yes by the time the Hospital Music electric tour it had been reduced to Weapon and the occasional Avalanche, but that was five full years later.  Also Avalanche songs continue to be played at the majority of the shows to this day Usually just Weapon, but Rabbits was played at many shows between 2011 and 2013.  

Avalanche deep cuts were relegated to the sidelines because WLRRR is the only Matt album to ever follow another in the next year.  Usually you have a two year gap.  My point with Arrows is, by the time the tour came for the album following it zero songs from it were played at any point.  Avalanche was still seeing 2-3 songs played from it for years afterwards.  

My most-requested one though is definitely:

https://youtu.be/TShxaylXgdk

Thanks for reminding me to watch this. It was nice seeing Ian on drums again. I enjoyed watching the jam starting at 7:53. That was great. I remember Dale Ernhardt Jr. linked this video on his social media not too long ago. He must really like it too.

So when is Matt going to log back in here again? It's been like foreverrrrrrrrrr... I'm guessing sometime after the show on the 11th to read concert reviews?

Yeah, that would be nice.

Imagine what would happen if Dave and Matt went on tour together and ended the show like this. The crowd would go wild. That would be the best reunion concert in history and would be a great ending to a chapter.

Yeah, but I also know some people just don't jive working together no matter best intentions either, so whatever.

Thanks for reminding me to watch this. It was nice seeing Ian on drums again. I enjoyed watching the jam starting at 7:53. That was great. I remember Dale Ernhardt Jr. linked this video on his social media not too long ago. He must really like it too.

So when is Matt going to log back in here again? It's been like foreverrrrrrrrrr... I'm guessing sometime after the show on the 11th to read concert reviews?

I love this video, and not just because of the song.  It's a great recording.

So I know some people didn't want spoilers, but I'm just throwing this out there: I want full spoilers. Inform me. Tell me everything.

Who's on bass? What cool merch is there? What songs were done in soundcheck? What was the encore? Everything. Tell me everything.

Side note: booked my bus to Montreal today. Waiting for the Via sale tuesday to book my train to Toronto. Pretty darn stoked.

• Upvote 1

So I know some people didn't want spoilers, but I'm just throwing this out there: I want full spoilers. Inform me. Tell me everything.

Who's on bass? What cool merch is there? What songs were done in soundcheck? What was the encore? Everything. Tell me everything.

Side note: booked my bus to Montreal today. Waiting for the Via sale tuesday to book my train to Toronto. Pretty darn stoked.

I second this. Spill the beans.

Picture on Matt's insta shows a bass player rehearsing in Victoria any I'd him?

I don't know why I keep leaning towards this guy.

22067615198_a09fa22bf0_m.jpg

Same black t-shirt, black pants, similar looking guitar, and maybe he is wearing a beanie. Also the person is wearing sunglasses. That's kind of fishy for indoors. It's hard to tell from that picture. It is so far back and blurry.

Nice patch on his instagram. I hope they sell the polar bear patch too. I would probably put that on my backpack.

Guest Idioteque

I can't see it being Dave only because of it being kind of counterproductive. If he isn't playing his original parts then why bother? 

I'm not sure if that piano on stage has anything to do with the band or it may just be owned by the theatre. 

I can't see it being Dave only because of it being kind of counterproductive. If he isn't playing his original parts then why bother? 

I'm not sure if that piano on stage has anything to do with the band or it may just be owned by the theatre. 

Agreed I really cant imagine it being Dave, I dont see the two of them reconciling, but if they did certainly he'd be playing the guitar and not bass.  It's just somebody new, I'm excited to see what he can bring to the table 

Also yes the piano could just be there, it does look as though it is behind the lighting rig and I'm assuming keyboards would be used as opposed to an upright, still I'm holding out hope for some live keys instead of just a prerecorded tape.  

Edited by adam_777
  • Upvote 1

People should stop fantasizing about Dave and Rich. Never gonna happen (nor should it). 

I'm 99.999999% sure it's the bass player from The Heartbroken: https://www.instagram.com/p/BL04Q3ug72y/

Yes, totally the same guy.

I also agree with the stopping fantasizing about Dave and Rich. A lot of acrimony in both cases. 

EDIT: According to The Heartbroken wikipedia, his name is Peter Fusco. I saw a comment in the instagram pic that seems to call out this name as well.

Edited by andydanger85
  • Upvote 1

Yes, totally the same guy.

I also agree with the stopping fantasizing about Dave and Rich. A lot of acrimony in both cases.

EDIT: According to The Heartbroken wikipedia, his name is Peter Fusco. I saw a comment in the instagram pic that seems to call out this name as well.

That would make sense. They know Peter obvi, since Blake and Stu are both in a band with him. That's cool, I've never seen him live before.