gursky

2017 Tour: Beautiful Midnight Revisited

I'm going to the show tonight, I'll hopefully get front row, I'll be posting full spoilers when I get home.  If you don't want spoilers, don't look at this thread.

From the pic on Instagram, looks like Matt will be doing some singing from the floor tonight.  Looks like Matt is sitting on one of the pews with the mic.  It's a very low stage at Alix Goolden Hall (church stage).  Last year he did part of encore from the floor (as he went on to do in other shows).

I'm going to the show tonight, I'll hopefully get front row, I'll be posting full spoilers when I get home.  If you don't want spoilers, don't look at this thread.

From the pic on Instagram, looks like Matt will be doing some singing from the floor tonight.  Looks like Matt is sitting on one of the pews with the mic.  It's a very low stage at Alix Goolden Hall (church stage).  Last year he did part of encore from the floor (as he went on to do in other shows).

you could always post it in the "tour review" thread, that way the people that don't want spoilers can more easily avoid them.

I personally will be patiently awaiting your spoilers. Super stoked. Have fun!

Just finished the show in Vic. Set list as expected, obviously, and the band was super tight throughout it. IMO the highlights were FTRT, Jenni's, LGIO. 4 song encore - BL, New Song, Apparitions, then Weapon brought the house down. Good banter throughout and it really seemed like MG was enjoying the format.

We were sitting in the upper level and despite the band's fantastic effort I can't help but be honest that the mix, at least from where we were situated, was the worst I have ever experienced at an MG show, and I've seen about 15. Matt's vocals were completely drowned out by the drums and guitar for most of the show, from Giant through to the encore. Suburbia was completely ruined for me. Wondering if anyone else noticed issues or were the vocals fine sitting at ground level? Regardless of my critique, the crowd sure enjoyed it.

Don't get me wrong - this was an awesome effort and odds are the mix will be better at other venues. Just wanted to to be honest in my review of this one in particular and also wondering if it was just me...?

• Upvote 1

Just finished the show in Vic. Set list as expected, obviously, and the band was super tight throughout it. IMO the highlights were FTRT, Jenni's, LGIO. 4 song encore - BL, New Song, Apparitions, then Weapon brought the house down. Good banter throughout and it really seemed like MG was enjoying the format.

We were sitting in the upper level and despite the band's fantastic effort I can't help but be honest that the mix, at least from where we were situated, was the worst I have ever experienced at an MG show, and I've seen about 15. Matt's vocals were completely drowned out by the drums and guitar for most of the show, from Giant through to the encore. Suburbia was completely ruined for me. Wondering if anyone else noticed issues or were the vocals fine sitting at ground level? Regardless of my critique, the crowd sure enjoyed it.

Don't get me wrong - this was an awesome effort and odds are the mix will be better at other venues. Just wanted to to be honest in my review of this one in particular and also wondering if it was just me...?

Yes, vocals were completely drown on floor too.  They improved as the show went up but up until about 2/3rd's of the way through beautiful midnight there were parts where they were completely indiscernible.  I noticed it most on Let's Get it on and Suburbia though.  

I too enjoyed the show quite a bit despite the acoustics.  Stu is a sensational guitar player.  I won't spoil anything here for anyone, but if you don't have a ticket, go get one.  You're not going to regret it.    

I'm planning to be in Toronto for the show on March 11th. I'm thinking a long weekend trip. Not sure where to stay. Can anybody shed light on the area that the Danforth venue is in? What is the neighborhood like? Any recommendations for a long weekend in general?

I went to Toronto 10 years ago when I was 21 and we didn't do much over the 3 days we were there. We went up to the top of the CN Tower, but the rest of the time was basically spent drinking in a hotel. I reiterate that I was 21 at the time  :innocent:

Edited by Gomo

I'm planning to be in Toronto for the show on March 11th. I'm thinking a long weekend trip. Not sure where to stay. Can anybody shed light on the area that the Danforth venue is in? What is the neighborhood like? Any recommendations for a long weekend in general?

I went to Toronto 10 years ago when I was 21 and we didn't do much over the 3 days we were there. We went up to the top of the CN Tower, but the rest of the time was basically spent drinking in a hotel. I reiterate that I was 21 at the time  :innocent:

There's a starbucks and some restaurants and stuff on the street it's on. It was pretty easy to get to by public transit. I don't remember too much about the specific area because last year after the school I had to book it to catch my midnight bus afterwards.

I'm staying for the weekend this time around. Probably going to try to hit up an open mic if I have time. If there is one on saturday or sunday during the day. 

OMG WHY AM I SO DUMB. I BOOKED MY BUS TICKET BACK TO OTTAWA FOR SUNDAY NIGHT. THINKING I WOULD BE WORKING. BUT IT'S STUPID MARCH BREAK AND I'LL BE OFF. I COULD HAVE STAYED LONGER IN TORONTO. DAAANNNNGGG IT.....

There's so much to do in Toronto man.  It's not the best time of year because there's no baseball going on and it's not great weather wise, but there's lots to see.

- The Distillery District has some really cool breweries and restaurants (gotta go to Mill Street if you do)

- Eaton Centre, if you like shopping, has about a million stores in it

- There's a Ripley's Aquarium right at the base of the CN Tower now, and it's pricey but cool to see

- The downtown area in general has tons of stuff to see and do.  Steamwhistle Brewery is across the street from Ripley's.  Hockey Hall of Fame is pretty central too

- Chinatown is pretty great to see.  Lots of cool food there

Or just stay in your hotel and drink lol.  Worked for me before too.

There's so much to do in Toronto man. It's not the best time of year because there's no baseball going on and it's not great weather wise, but there's lots to see.

- The Distillery District has some really cool breweries and restaurants (gotta go to Mill Street if you do)

- Eaton Centre, if you like shopping, has about a million stores in it

- There's a Ripley's Aquarium right at the base of the CN Tower now, and it's pricey but cool to see

- The downtown area in general has tons of stuff to see and do. Steamwhistle Brewery is across the street from Ripley's. Hockey Hall of Fame is pretty central too

- Chinatown is pretty great to see. Lots of cool food there

Or just stay in your hotel and drink lol. Worked for me before too.

I've been to Toronto quite a few times now.

And every time I go I say "okay this is it I'm really going to go to the Hockey Hall of Fame". And then I get there and decide I don't want to pay the 18$ admission.

This time I'm really going to go.

Also, if there's an on and off tour bus, 44$ gets you a weekend of on and off access to the bus, plus you get a bus tour. When I was there for TURF I did that (minus the boat, didn't have enough time) since I was on crutches and didn't wanna walk all over the city. It was actually a really cool tour.

Thanks for the suggestions. I might see if there's a Maple Leafs game one of those nights. I should also mention that I did hit up the Eaton Center during my previous visit, which was interesting. Also of interest: the strip clubs right across the street from the biggest mall in Toronto. It was surprising to me because being from New York the zoning is such that those establishments are in desolate areas, not in the heart of heavy foot traffic family areas. Know what I'm sayin? This isn't a complaint, just an observation.

I'm big into breweries so the "Distillery District" sounds cool :)

There's a museum of transportation too. Cool old trains and stuff.

Also I always walk by Massey Hall just to look at it cause I love it so much.

Also there's a trendy Cheesecake place called Uncle Tetsu's or something. Always has a line out the door.

Uploaded a number of videos from the Feb 17 show in Vancouver on youtube, starting with Giant: 

Strange Days:

The Future Is X-Rated:

New Song: 

Weapon: 

(end of) Apparitions:

Edited by mrjason
  • Upvote 3

Uploaded a number of videos from the Feb 17 show in Vancouver on youtube, starting with Giant: 

Strange Days:

The Future Is X-Rated:

New Song: 

Weapon: 

(end of) Apparitions:

Love it. I think your vid of Decades is my favourite so far.

I am downtown at Bond Place Hotel, like a short ride to the venue via streetcar, I am coming up on Friday, and leaving sometime on Sunday afternoon. 

To address your original question about the specific neighbourhood ... I'm from Toronto so I can maybe give you a general sense. So, Danforth is basically the east End of Bloor Street, which is the main transit thoroughfare in Toronto. It's in and around an area that is basically "little Greece", so the area is mostly small independent businesses and a lot of Greek food/grocery things. There's two pubs that are within walking distance, one has an Irish theme and a bit of an older crowd, the other just a run of the mill pub. And when I say walking distance I mean three or four businesses West of the Music Hall. There's a Starbucks and a McDick's on the corner near there as well if you're looking for coffee and/or fast food. In a nutshell, the Danforth (name of community and the venue and the street haha) isn't anywhere near to the downtown core.

Tourist things that are closer (in terms of transit) ...the Bloor subway line is probably what you would take to get there ...basically all along Bloor it's subway stops every major intersection and each one has their own character. It depends on what you WANT to do, whether it be culture or fun ... but if culture is what ye seek, if you get off the Subway at St. George station (on the bloor line) there's the ROM -- Royal Ontario Museum. Lots of fun and a great collection ... it is connected to the U of T campus which has many beautiful old buildings. Most of the touristey fun things mentioned above (with exception of Distillery) are further South/on the Yonge/University subway line. Not hard to get to by any means, but not even close to the venue either. 

I dunno if that helps, but hopefully it does!

Thanks for the info. I remember "Yonge" from my last visit. I think we did walk through that area, but it's been so long I'd be happy to go back there.

Funny you mention Little Greece. The area of NYC that I live in has the biggest Greek population in the world outside of Greece. I have a great souvlaki food truck right around the corner from my apartment.

I have been watching the uploads on youtube from this tour. I'm putting a little playlist together. Your videos have been great! Thanks for sharing!

Strange Days:

The Future Is X-Rated:

New Song: 

Weapon: 

(end of) Apparitions:

Thanks for the info. I remember "Yonge" from my last visit. I think we did walk through that area, but it's been so long I'd be happy to go back there.

Funny you mention Little Greece. The area of NYC that I live in has the biggest Greek population in the world outside of Greece. I have a great souvlaki food truck right around the corner from my apartment.

You're quite welcome! That's such a coincidence, very cool! You'll feel right at home on the Danforth, then.