gursky

2017 Tour: Beautiful Midnight Revisited

Question on the VIP -- Did the promo company email you guys and let you know the time to be at the venue for it and what to do and where to lineup and all that guff? They did it last tour around, I am just attending the Hamilton VIP in 8 days and I haven't received anything (that I know of) .

Stu has a lot of boutique pedals on his board. If I have time this weekend I'll see if I can come up with a list of what's on there :)

Stu really slapped the shit out of that solo at the end of Giant in the vid holy smokes.  I like the new song!

Matt has a super simple pedal board.  Stu not so much, I play guitar and don't know what half those pedal are.  Very neat, thanks for the pictures!

Does anyone recall how the VIP experiences have evolved over the last few tours? They've all come with lanyards, and the last two have been signed, I think? Arrows of Desire had the vinyl, the poster, and the brief meet and greet where you could have some items signed. That was pretty good, but we don't want anyone getting sick from close exposure to too many folks. Chaotic Neutral had a really cool VIP experience, and I think it was a good idea to host it before the show. The Q&A and acoustic performances were really valuable elements of the package. However, now it's sort of neutered, because you still get the soundcheck and a potential say in the songs played, but instead of more music and possible insight, you get a quick group photo. I know there must be some rationale behind this, and Matt's been really good at explaining the transactional and business side of touring, but does anyone here know why the change? There must be some relationship between price, attendance, time, etc.

Edited by NonPopulus

I think that this tour sold more tickets than the previous.  You have a lot more casual fans coming out to hear the album being played. If you have a sold out show it would take longer to interact with each person and it would likely limit the personal interaction to a quick "hi hope you enjoy the show".    I will say that the merch for this tour looks to blow the merch from previous tours out of the water.  I hope this trend continues.

Guest Idioteque

I would suggest raising the prices to include more things, but limiting the amount of people able to get VIP per city. Smaller group to give more attention to but also not losing money.

As someone who wants to spend money on Matt, I thankfully get to do so with all this killer merchandise being pushed out. But would still like VIP to be relooked at, plenty of bands doing way more for the same price.

Yeah. Montreal VIP for CN was only like 12/13ish of us? Amazing experience and very intimate, compared to the like 30/40 in Toronto? However, understandably so I'm sure that's probably why the Corona Theatre/Montreal was not included in the VIP options this time round. Great for the fans, but not great for the bank.

I would personally be willing to shell out more dough for a more exclusive experience, but I'm not really complaining about this package either. (Although now I'm paranoid about not being there for the correct time!!)

My show is next Saturday .... haven't seen anything. Not getting worried, but wondering why the delay at this point ... I think I will email them.

Andy, I'm going to the same show/VIP.  Haven't heard anything yet either.  Will let you know if I do. I still think Monday or Tuesday we will.

I accept the reasoning that the last thing we want is for Matt to get sick. I just loved the format from the CN tour. No direct or close-up contact, but the special acoustic performance of four songs not played in the main set. The inflation rate is over 2% right now, but I think more than that has been "cut" from the experience. I will just count myself lucky that I have the resources to go to any show in the first place, let alone three, and cherish the memories of past VIP experiences.

Edited by NonPopulus
  • Upvote 1

Must be a good sign if Matt's on the local radio station. Although I really hate radio people who don't do any research before doing an interview. You just have to look at Twitter to figure out the guy is working on an album.

It's a pretty awkward interview, and it's all to do with the radio guy: http://www.fm96.com/2017/03/02/travis-chats-with-matthew-good/?sc_ref=www.fm96.com

One good thing from it is that Matt says that the new record will be out in the fall.

Anyways, I'm getting excited for tomorrow night. Going to Disney on Ice first, then running over to catch the show. Going to be quite the fun-filled night!

• Upvote 1

The lyrics of Decades are on the main page and there are a few versions of the song over in the recording/bootleg area.   Matt said it would be the only new song played during the tour I believe.

London - March 3rd

Encore:

Advertising on Police Cars

Decades

Apparitions

Weapon

I got there just after the guys got on stage. I literally jumped in the car after Disney On Ice and ran over to the show. The band and Matt sounded fantastic. Can't say that enough. Stu is the man. Pretty much every song was played like the original version.

There was a ton of drunk idiots there tonight. It was really distracting. I don't understand who goes to a show to talk.

I Miss New Wave, Born To Kill, Jenni's Song, and Running From Home were my favourites of the night. It was so cool to hear those songs played live.

Overall, thanks to Matt for coming back. It was a great set.

are these songs played as they are on the album or are they all "re-imagined"?

giant, time bomb, load me up, strange days and future is x-rated are played as they are on the recordings.

i think only suburbia, let's get it on, i miss new wave are played as they are "reimagined"

born to kill is a hybrid of the original and new version.

everything else are transposed to lower keys but otherwise sound like the originals.

Edited by eclipse

giant, time bomb, load me up, strange days and future is x-rated are played as they are on the recordings.

i think only suburbia, let's get it on, i miss new wave are played as they are "reimagined"

born to kill is a hybrid of the original and new version.

everything else are transposed to lower keys but otherwise sound like the originals.

It was the same last night.

There was a bit of VIP talk in this thread so wanted to let everyone know from my view, it was really cool and worth it.  Probably can't afford it everytime but I attended Saturday afternoon and liked that we could leave after the soundcheck, so got to walk the town and get some food and drink.

We got let in right at the time we were scheduled, checked in, got the crowd free merch shopping, which to me wasn't at first a big deal but after seeing the lines at the show, really appreciated this, and then the soundcheck for me was really cool.

Matt was joking around a lot with the sound/lighting guys in his inner ear monitors.  We got Load Me Up, Decades and Born Losers. Was cool to just be sitting back and relaxing and watching basically your own private concert, my wife was like, cant we just do it like this the whole night?, ha.

Probably my only gripe is that we had to take pics 10 people at a time, so wasn't huge on that.  I tried to get next to the band so we could cut others out of the the pic but we were #9 and #10 in line for the pic so we were on the outside.

It's a very brief hello, take pic and bye, which was fine but just to let everyone know i snuck in "thanks for posting on the bored, we all enjoy it", he said "right on man", haha.

Edited by Stwlegend
  • Upvote 1