gursky

2017 Tour: Beautiful Midnight Revisited

The friend I was supposed to stay with in Toronto next Saturday cancelled on me :/

Anyone have any hotel recommendations? I'm just staying for the Saturday night.

One King West. I love that hotel. The service is excellent, easy valet parking and a clean and beautiful building. It is pricey.

There was a bit of VIP talk in this thread so wanted to let everyone know from my view, it was really cool and worth it.  Probably can't afford it everytime but I attended Saturday afternoon and liked that we could leave after the soundcheck, so got to walk the town and get some food and drink.

We got let in right at the time we were scheduled, checked in, got the crowd free merch shopping, which to me wasn't at first a big deal but after seeing the lines at the show, really appreciated this, and then the soundcheck for me was really cool.

Matt was joking around a lot with the sound/lighting guys in his inner ear monitors.  We got Load Me Up, Decades and Born Losers. Was cool to just be sitting back and relaxing and watching basically your own private concert, my wife was like, cant we just do it like this the whole night?, ha.

Probably my only gripe is that we had to take pics 10 people at a time, so wasn't huge on that.  I tried to get next to the band so we could cut others out of the the pic but we were #9 and #10 in line for the pic so we were on the outside.

It's a very brief hello, take pic and bye, which was fine but just to let everyone know i snuck in "thanks for posting on the bored, we all enjoy it", he said "right on man", haha.

I wonder where you were, because I was also at the VIP and didn't hear that...but that is very cool. You must've been ahead of me. My girlfriend and I were one body away from him, but that guy dispersed and Matt smiled at me and said thank you for coming. Love even getting to meet him again, VIP is worth it for the catharsis alone.

One King West. I love that hotel. The service is excellent, easy valet parking and a clean and beautiful building. It is pricey.

I stayed at the Doubletree the last time I was there. Really enjoyed it. Not super close to the Danforth though.

awesome. Thanks guys. I've been looking at all my options and I'm starting to really be feeling One King West! We'll see what I end up with though! (It looks amazing!)

I wonder where you were, because I was also at the VIP and didn't hear that...but that is very cool. You must've been ahead of me. My girlfriend and I were one body away from him, but that guy dispersed and Matt smiled at me and said thank you for coming. Love even getting to meet him again, VIP is worth it for the catharsis alone.

We were I think in group 4, the 9th and 10th person in that group. I should have caught you here before the concert to meet up! Agreed it was so worth it, glad you enjoyed too.

We were I think in group 4, the 9th and 10th person in that group. I should have caught you here before the concert to meet up! Agreed it was so worth it, glad you enjoyed too.

Aww shit, I was in there around that time, so we must have unknowingly been very close. Let's figure out something next time!

Does Toronto have Uber? 

Made my hotel accommodations for Saturday and i'm nowhere near the venue but more centrally located I guess. So I'd rather take a car over there than futz around with a train system I don't know. Though being from NYC I could probably figure it out :p

Does Toronto have Uber?

Made my hotel accommodations for Saturday and i'm nowhere near the venue but more centrally located I guess. So I'd rather take a car over there than futz around with a train system I don't know. Though being from NYC I could probably figure it out :p

Yes it does! Just don't cheap out and pick uber carpool!!!

It's soooo slow. Pay the full fare and ride yourself. Otherwise you will definitely be late and definitely regret it.

Edited by emmit643

Guest jjazz

Gomo where are you staying? You still might be better off taking transit. The subway literally drops you off right at the venue.

I know you guys have already addressed this but I just wanted to chime in and say I don't know how big of a difference cowbell is to people but is that not what I hear on Rorschach and Jenni's? Also Running for Home sounds completely different to me. And the bass sounds different in Jenni's as well as the final verse. I actually love all of the changes but I think some people may be surprised by them if they expect to hear the studio versions. Matt's maturity as a songwriter is stamped all over these songs now.

But then again there may be something wrong with my ears. In the "can't sleep" bit prior to the show, it actually doesn't sound like Matt talking to me. I feel like it is taken from a movie or something.

I also read on Instagram that Matt was playing Henryk Górecki's Symphony No. 3 prior to the show. IIrc it is what he wants played at his funeral.  It's in my "funeral preference" notebook, right next to the fact that I want door prizes at my funeral.

I listened to another bootleg today on my way to a funeral actually and it definitely sounds like Matt's voice.   I really like how the songs have new life in them as it's no longer Matthew Good Band it's simply Matt.  Part of me wonders if this is how Matt would have performed the original album and the other part of me wonders how much influence Stu and the guys may have had.  It really is fascinating to hear  though.

What's the bassist's name for this tour?  Any background info on him?

His name is Peter Fusco  but his friends call him Pete

I commented on the little lick Stu plays in the A Boy And His Machine Gun chorus at the VIP and he seemed pretty excited I had noticed. Also little fills and such have been added as tours went on. Peter told me Matt really wanted versions that could sound amazing played by a four piece. So based on that I think Matt had the general blueprint but the band most likely contributed suggestions. I cant help but feel Stu had some input in the way the new version of Running For Home plays out

Guest jjazz

The intro is very odd. It sounds like Matt's writing, it sonically sounds like him, but then at the same time feels off. It sounds like he's younger, almost like clips taken from a satire interview from the 90s, but I know that can't be the case.

I just want to come out and say that I was dead wrong about what I said in my last post. Night 2 was even better than last night, and this time I was right in the thick of it in the middle of the crowd. The crowd was receptive, and it was really cool hearing everyone's personal thoughts about particular songs, and what they were excited about coming next.

There was good banter, but something seemed more cohesive tonight. The songs bled into eachother better, almost as if you were listening to the album.

The songs sound great, rearranged to suit Matt's current vocal range. The mix was so much better where I was. Make no mistake, I love being in the front, but you definitely don't hear the show the way it's intended. Sure, you pick up on the cool nuances (Stu using a drill to mess with the feedback and pickups in the orchestral breakdown of weapon) but you truly hear everything so much better when you're not right in the front. It was eye opening for me. Everything sounded just amazing, I cannot stress it enough.

Blake is an amazing drummer. Stu is a fantastic guitarist. They're both incredible musicians. Their tenure with Matt is so evident with Matt in their delivery and the way they serve the songs. There's no doubt in my mind that Matt hears stu's guitar when he's coming up with material and reworking songs. He definitely has had a heavy influence on the new style of songs.

I was thinking about it while I was watching tonight; I don't think this is the way Matt intended these songs to be heard, but I do believe he wanted them to be heard differently. The old mgb were great. I love them. I love what they brought to the table. Dave's solos, even his standard parts. Ian's fills. Geoff and Rick's juxtaposition in styles. If they could have gotten over their egos and positions in the group, it might be different now. But it took 10, 20 years for these songs to be played the way they are now. And maybe the band could have opened them up and dug deep into them too. But either way, you'd be hearing something different. And I'm thankful that the new lineup came in when they did. Ever since the live at massey cd. You can tell that now was the direction they were headed to, and they've all pulled it off so well. It's clean and precise, and everyone plays their role perfectly.

Anyways, tirade over. What a great show. So pumped for Saturday.

Edited by jjazz

Ok, thanks for the info! :)

The lyrics of Decades are on the main page and there are a few versions of the song over in the recording/bootleg area.   Matt said it would be the only new song played during the tour I believe.