gursky

2017 Tour: Beautiful Midnight Revisited

Guest Idioteque

This is one of the best excusesnot to play any MG singles. This "should" be a MGB celebration night. Most fans for this tour are people who grew up with that album. It should feel like you're seeing him in 1999 again. Hell even come on stage in a monkey mask & a MG Asshole shirt. It would be unreal! Milk the sh*t out of this lol.

65:15  is a good chunk of time, so I'd imagine the encore would be pretty limited, 3/4 songs. My TRUE fantasy of an encore would be pitch darkness, fans chanting, and the bass line kicks off for "Indestructible". There's alot of GA shows so the crowd will be mooooving. 

I'll always have a chance to hear things off Hospital Music & Vancouver from future concerts, that's a given. As someone who unfortunately never experienced  90's MGB, I'm praying this will be like a time capsule. Old songs also tease other "Album Entirety" tours. Though we will never get Last of the Ghetto Astronauts considering he hates it lol. 

1.Indestructible
2.Prime Time Deliverance
3.Sort of a Protest Song

4.Alabama Hotel Room

5.Symbolistic White Walls

Could you imagine if he just played Raygun during every VIP? I would sell my kidneys for that haha.

Guns of Carolina

In a World Called Catastrophe

Silent Army in the Trees

Volcanoes

We Have Done This Before, We Will Do It Again (I can dream, right?)

You sure can. In my dream world, it would be Night Orders (with all the rain sound effects)!

A few months ago when the idea of BM front to back was floating around here, I was thinking about how cool it would be to have Loser Anthems as the encore.

Finish BM, encore break, Flashdance 2, another break while playing Harold wood and then just come out and finish the rest of the ep. How cool would that have been?

Also a heads up that the cd and vinyl are now up for preorder on the official site. Looks like the vinyl ships early 2017, and there doesn't seem to be any autographed cd copies this time around. Good thing since I already upgraded my digital download to the cd.

If we're talking realistically, a 5 song encore might be a bit wishful (just judging from history).  A 3 song encore would take the set up to 17 songs total, which would be pretty standard I think.  A 4 or 5 song encore will probably happen for the Vancouver and Toronto shows I would think, those markets seem to normally get longer shows.

Realistically, I would expect the encore to be something along the lines of:

Apparitions

Weapon

Everything is Automatic

But... just for fun, if I could hear any 5 song encore I wanted it would be something like:

While We Were Hunting Rabbits - this version: *https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cbaUEdUtfmo*

A Single Explosion

A Silent Army in the Trees

Symbolistic White Walls - this version: *https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VM-KS-g4aYo*

The Fine Art of Falling Apart - solo acoustic

Or... Matt would just come out and play solo acoustic for 5 songs, playing whatever (still haven't seen a solo acoustic show).

I think there was one show on the last tour where Scott Helman couldn't make it, so Matt just played an extra solo acoustic set.  I was extremely jealous of those people (nothing against Scott Helman).

Edited by Curtster

Flashdance II would be amazing. 

I am thinking

Weapon

Apparations

Alert Status Red.

Or he could go with the American BM version and do

Everything Is Automatic

Deep Six

Apparations.

Hell he could go up there and tell us the difference between a goat and a donkey and it would be worth it.  BM in full is the dream setlist.

I think the length of the encore will be dictated by run time as opposed to number of tracks.  Although it is pretty common for Matt to play 12-14 tracks in the main set just like Beautiful Midnight, Beautiful Midnight does not have the long track length of many of the songs he does at his shows.  Giant is the longest clocking it at 6:01, nothing else is really in that range except Born to Kill and Suburbia, most songs are well under 5 mins.  Adding up the length of music played at one of the Vancouver shows last tour, Matt played basically a two hour show, of which 91 minutes was strictly music.  So if BM is roughly 65 mins, then yes in a 90 minute show probably three encore songs makes sense.  But for the longer 2 hour shows that usually get played in Van and Toronto, five songs would not be a stretch at all.  Without songs like Non Populus, Empty's Theme Park and Champions of Nothing in the set, its not unrealistic to think these shows could have a track or two more than shows from the past four tours.  I'm not saying thats what will happen, I'm just saying the main body of these shows will be probably 5-10 minutes shorter than they have been on previous tours, allowing for a potentially longer encore. 

Also, it kinda depends how Matt wants to approach Beautiful Midnight, maybe he plans to extend some things, Load Me Up is typically 1-2 minutes longer live than on the album version, Suburbia has in the past had an extra verse, the Born to Kill freakout might last longer, there are a ton of variables that could reflect the length of the set.  Also, during regular shows, Matt talks to the crowd after every couple songs, sometimes just for :15 seconds, sometimes for 2-3 minutes.  He may do the same during Beautiful Midnight, he may just continue playing.  Everyone knows how well those songs link so it'd make sense to do this, but things like guitar changes and other logistics may prevent this.  Also, Im sure Matt will want a gulp of water or something in the mix. 

By the way I hope if Matt is reading these he isn't taking it the wrong way, as a fan its exciting to speculate.  As Foats said, he could just play Beautiful Midnight and call it a night and I'd be cheering my whole way through the parking lot.  It isn't possible for a show like this to disappoint me, but its still interesting to postulate on best case scenarios, and to read what other people feel would be the best case for them too.  

That's good to hear, thanks! I'll be making the drive from Buffalo, NY. Since he stopped coming to the states, I've gotten to know several different cities around Ontario, it's always a fun little road trip.

I can vouch for London too. It was a great venue. Not really sure about anything else to do while you're there though. It's a bit further, but you can get GA floor for Toronto, 3 nights to choose from, and endless possibilities of other things to do in the great city of Toronto. 

If you feel like going even further, Corona Theatre is one of my favourite venues that Matt plays at. This show, in Montreal, is also general admission. Montreal is also an awesome city full of cool things to do.

I wouldn't mind a little trivia on some of the songs if mg's got time during the shows. May be weird for standing shows though.

Matt broached the storyteller concept earlier this year when he mentioned possibly doing residency shows in the future where hed play five shows charting a chronological course through his career with songs and stories. So maybe

Not really sure about anything else to do while you're there though.

How dare you!! LOL

My ideal (and not realistic) encore would be:

Non Populus

Blue Skies over Badlands

Champions of Nothing

Fine Art of Falling Apart

Weapon

I hope that Matt tours with Anthony again at some point, or a different keyboard player.  I love Non Populus.  If you are bringing a keyboard player, then add Prime Time Deliverance.

I can vouch for London too. It was a great venue. Not really sure about anything else to do while you're there though.

That's what I say about Hamilton. There was nothing much to see and do within walking distance from the venue and hotel, other than go to the indoor farmer's market.

That's what I say about Hamilton. There was nothing much to see and do within walking distance from the venue and hotel, other than go to the indoor farmer's market.

According to my friend who just graduated from McMaster the Hammer actually has an emerging night scene, music scene, arts and restaurants kind of thing going for it right now. But I cannot confirm this, as I have never been there lol. Only passing through to London.

How dare you!! LOL.

It's just the truth ahaha

It's just the truth ahaha

The truth hurts I guess.

I think most cities in Ontario are all around the same.  Every place has the same big mall with the same stores as every other city.  They all have a downtown with some good restaurants.  Every one I've visited are pretty much similar to the others.

The London show is on a Friday night though  :whistle:

I can vouch for London too. It was a great venue. Not really sure about anything else to do while you're there though. It's a bit further, but you can get GA floor for Toronto, 3 nights to choose from, and endless possibilities of other things to do in the great city of Toronto. 

If you feel like going even further, Corona Theatre is one of my favourite venues that Matt plays at. This show, in Montreal, is also general admission. Montreal is also an awesome city full of cool things to do.

That IS a nice looking venue. Maybe one of these tours when we have time for a longer trip, will definitely keep it in mind. 

I'd really like to do multiple shows but I don't think this is the tour I would aim to do that with.

Was wondering the same this morning. My guess would be Milos.

Nice guy. But very boring to watch. So stoic. I'm gonna miss Bones he was hilarious and fun.

Kelly said Rich would be open to doing it. But as of yet, he has not been asked so I dunno.

Milos is busy doing a lot of like producing and stuff though isn't he? He's always posting his projects on his insta. Dunno if he's available either.

I

I've been there several times to see shows (mostly Matt) and if you need to/want to get a drink, Hess Village is pretty popular (even if at times populated by McMaster bruhs) ...there's also a place right around the corner that looks like a dive, but is more like a family restaurant that has like 100+ beers of the world. They predated Bier Markt and West 50 by decades haha

Nice guy. But very boring to watch. So stoic. I'm gonna miss Bones he was hilarious and fun.

Kelly said Rich would be open to doing it. But as of yet, he has not been asked so I dunno.

Milos is busy doing a lot of like producing and stuff though isn't he? He's always posting his projects on his insta. Dunno if he's available either.

mmm I highly doubt Rich would do it (who's Kelly?). Last I heard Matt and him didn't end on good terms. But of course, after 10 years, maybe that's all sorted out. 

mmm I highly doubt Rich would do it (who's Kelly?). Last I heard Matt and him didn't end on good terms. But of course, after 10 years, maybe that's all sorted out.

She's someone who's pretty active in the fb group, but isn't a member on here. She's also pretty well connected. I met her during the chaotic neutral tour cause we both went to a lot of the same shows. she knows Rich and was talking to him about it. He said (in September) that this was the first he had heard about it (so yeah, probably not) but also said it's up to Matt, and still seemed open to the idea of doing it.