gursky

2017 Tour: Beautiful Midnight Revisited

She's someone who's pretty active in the fb group, but isn't a member on here. She's also pretty well connected. I met her during the chaotic neutral tour cause we both went to a lot of the same shows. she knows Rich and was talking to him about it. He said (in September) that this was the first he had heard about it (so yeah, probably not) but also said it's up to Matt, and still seemed open to the idea of doing it.

Ah I see! Thanks for the info! :)

According to my friend who just graduated from McMaster the Hammer actually has an emerging night scene, music scene, arts and restaurants kind of thing going for it right now. But I cannot confirm this, as I have never been there lol. Only passing through to London.

It's just the truth ahaha

I've been there several times to see shows (mostly Matt) and if you need to/want to get a drink, Hess Village is pretty popular (even if at times populated by McMaster bruhs) ...there's also a place right around the corner that looks like a dive, but is more like a family restaurant that has like 100+ beers of the world. They predated Bier Markt and West 50 by decades haha

Good to know. I missed out then. I think I went to the burger place that Emma recommended long time ago and checked out a used record store that another guy from here recommended. Cool place. There was no Matthew Good/Band stuff there though.

Nice guy. But very boring to watch. So stoic. I'm gonna miss Bones he was hilarious and fun.

Kelly said Rich would be open to doing it. But as of yet, he has not been asked so I dunno.

Milos is busy doing a lot of like producing and stuff though isn't he? He's always posting his projects on his insta. Dunno if he's available either.

Rich Priske? That would be very cool. When Matt foreshadowed that the Beautiful Midnight tour was coming,  I remember he said there was more to it and he couldn't give everything away. Perhaps Rich is playing on this tour too? Who knows... only time will tell.

Rich Priske? That would be very cool. When Matt foreshadowed that the Beautiful Midnight tour was coming,  I remember he said there was more to it and he couldn't give everything away. Perhaps Rich is playing on this tour too? Who knows... only time will tell.

Yeah. That's the one.

I feel like he was probably more talking about the EP in his mysterious foreshadowing. But as you said, only time will tell.

Or maybe Blake or Stu will haha. Dunno if they know yet either though.

Edited by emmit643

I think it'd be more likely to get Ian back on drums like Matt did for the LOES tour than seeing Rich back, although either/or would be amazing.  Don't get me wrong, Blake is amazing at everything he does, but Ian's got that bounce that I find uncomparable.  Though we'd then be missing out on backing vocals, as there will obviously be no Dave.

Edited by AnythingYouWant

mmm I highly doubt Rich would do it (who's Kelly?). Last I heard Matt and him didn't end on good terms. But of course, after 10 years, maybe that's all sorted out. 

Yeah, I agree. If I remember correctly, he was trying to peddle an "Unofficial History of MGB" book that had some pretty incendiary stuff in it. I want to say Matt had to sue to avoid it being published...long time ago, though, don't remember the details clearly.

Yeah, I agree. If I remember correctly, he was trying to peddle an "Unofficial History of MGB" book that had some pretty incendiary stuff in it. I want to say Matt had to sue to avoid it being published...long time ago, though, don't remember the details clearly.

Yeah there was that story floating around, it was supposed to be called "The Revisionist History Teacher" or something like that as I recall. I can't remember if it was just a thing going around or if there was any truth to it though. 

I was actually referring to a question someone had on Matt's official forum years ago (2010 maybe, I believe it was the M+). That person asked why he stopped working with Rich and he answered. But given it's no longer online, I'm not going to go into details and let Matt explain if he wants to.

I was searching around the forum for the book thing and found an answer from Matt (from 2012)

As for a band reunion – Ian and I joked about it on the last tour. I don’t think the problem is that Rich and Dave wouldn’t consider it were there substantial money to be made – I’ve never know two people more inclined to do things for money – but that there isn’t significant money to be made, nor, despite what some might believe, are there secret masses just waiting for it to happen that would pay through the nose for tickets en mass. First and foremost it would be a lie. Second, it would be nothing more than an obvious cash grab were there money to be made – and there isn’t. Lastly, I would have a very hard time seriously considering it without Geoff – and that’s an obvious impossibility now.

I realize it’s fun to speculate on these things. I know that disusing the perception of who did what and how that impacted what happened at the time can also be fun. There’s no question that the ugliness and tension that existed produced what it did. But having said that – make no mistake, ugliness and tension and backstabbing and conniving were constant realities. 

https://www.nearfantastica.com/bored/topic/13921-mgb-reunion-how-likely-is-this/?hl=rich&do=findComment&comment=400488

Very interesting, always wondered why Priske was dismissed. A lot of interviews around Hospital Music that I remember seemed to indicate Matt wanted to just freshen up the lineup. Maybe he didn't want to slam anyone in the press but gave us a bit more on here.

Very interesting, always wondered why Priske was dismissed. A lot of interviews around Hospital Music that I remember seemed to indicate Matt wanted to just freshen up the lineup. Maybe he didn't want to slam anyone in the press but gave us a bit more on here.

I know there's an understandable  moratorium on here with regards to personal matters (so believe me when I say I am not bringing it up to engage in idle speculation), but if I recall correctly there was also something about Rich siding with his ex-wife on some matters when they divorced. I don't recall whether that came from Matt himself or whether that was conjecture, but I do remember that being mentioned as a factor. For those reasons and the ones I've listed above, I don't think Rich is coming back haha.

That said, time does have a way of giving people perspective on things -- if Guns N' Roses can reunite after everybody sleeping with each other's girlfriends and Eric Clapton and George Harrison still be friends after being in a love triangle with the same woman, anything can happen. 

I think the lineup freshening was with regards to the In A Coma songs ...Big City Life and Oh Be Joyful ...seemed like Matt's bromance with Ryan Dahle was at its' peak then. 

I always love seeing the rehashing and speculation of the old members and their stories, but I'm sure there's a lot of dirty laundry up in there too.

I always enjoyed Milos, though he wasn't all that exciting to watch. But he served the songs really well, especially towards the end.

It would be super cool to see Ian back. His take on the live stuff was so interesting. Great drummer, and you could really hear the little nuances in his playing that remind me of the mgb days.

Having said that, Blake has been the man for a while now, and Ian and Pat have only ever filled in for him when he had scheduling conflicts. Also, he is a fucking phenomenal singer. His range is incredible as is his pitch. He doesn't get enough credit for that.

Milos is indeed somewhat boring to watch but so is Stu sometimes. But that's not what matters most. Their talent and versatility make up for their lack of showmanship. Blake is just awesome all around. Talented, versatile and you can see he's having fun.

I hope Matt can afford to bring Anthony on tour too. Not just because he'd need some keyboards but also because I hope he doesn't sing Running For Home over playback.

Milos is indeed somewhat boring to watch but so is Stu sometimes. But that's not what matters most. Their talent and versatility make up for their lack of showmanship. Blake is just awesome all around. Talented, versatile and you can see he's having fun.

I hope Matt can afford to bring Anthony on tour too. Not just because he'd need some keyboards but also because I hope he doesn't sing Running For Home over playback.

Hmm. I've never had that experience with Stu. I find he always looks so into it. And he sways around and like his whole body is in it haha.

But it's true, it's not the most important thing. Though I feel like if they're into, you're more into it too. Mutual into it-ness.

And yeah Blake is great. I agree with you and Jesse whole-heartedly. His voice and range is top notch. He also is hella into playing and fun to watch. Also at TURF he played while smoking a cigarette and I really enjoyed the hilarity of that.

I guess I have kind of just assumed a keyboard player would be present because of Strange Days and Running For Home being in the set nightly.  I think it'd be unfortunate if Anthony or someone else couldn't be employed in that position on this tour.  Also, since the band already knows Police Cars from last tour, it could probably easily be incorporated into the encore some nights and I always felt the piano part really enhanced this song.  Listen to the Cayuga show from '02 in the Lounge, it really adds to the chorus and the outro of this song with the presence of a piano player.  

I guess I have kind of just assumed a keyboard player would be present because of Strange Days and Running For Home being in the set nightly.  I think it'd be unfortunate if Anthony or someone else couldn't be employed in that position on this tour.  Also, since the band already knows Police Cars from last tour, it could probably easily be incorporated into the encore some nights and I always felt the piano part really enhanced this song.  Listen to the Cayuga show from '02 in the Lounge, it really adds to the chorus and the outro of this song with the presence of a piano player.  

I didn't even consider those songs.  I wonder if he'll change them around for different instruments for this tour.

I enjoyed that sound on the last couple tours.  It adds another layer to a lot of the songs.

Hey, everyone. I just wanted to let anyone who didn't see my original post that I still have two tickets for the Enoch (Edmonton) show available. They're front row. I bought them, because I was worried a particular person wouldn't get a chance to buy them when the original presale opened up. However, it turned out to be all good. I will gladly sell them at face value (or even below to the fans of this forum.)

Send me a message if you need a couple front row tickets.

Hey, everyone. I just wanted to let anyone who didn't see my original post that I still have two tickets for the Enoch (Edmonton) show available. They're front row. I bought them, because I was worried a particular person wouldn't get a chance to buy them when the original presale opened up. However, it turned out to be all good. I will gladly sell them at face value (or even below to the fans of this forum.)

Send me a message if you need a couple front row tickets.

if you fly me out from Ottawa i'll buy the tickets ;) haha

I googled Matthew Good forums and ended up here.  I was gifted a couple of Canadian mix CD's in 2001 and there were 2 Matthew Good tracks on there.  Since then I re-discovered MG in 2014 on Sirius XM Iceberg (now The Verge) and ended up purchasing ALL of his CD's (band, solo, live etc. from his website.)  It was the soundtrack in a critical time of my life for about 2 years.

I will be driving up to Canada for the London and Hamilton show, looking very forward to revisiting Ontario (haven't been there since one time in 2007.)  I spent a lot of time around Stoney Creek Ontario (near Hamilton) in 2001-2006.  Looking forward to a brief return, Tim Hortons, Molson Canadian, and of course my now favorite musician/artist - Matthew Good!

ChicagoMike

I googled Matthew Good forums and ended up here.  I was gifted a couple of Canadian mix CD's in 2001 and there were 2 Matthew Good tracks on there.  Since then I re-discovered MG in 2014 on Sirius XM Iceberg (now The Verge) and ended up purchasing ALL of his CD's (band, solo, live etc. from his website.)  It was the soundtrack in a critical time of my life for about 2 years.

I will be driving up to Canada for the London and Hamilton show, looking very forward to revisiting Ontario (haven't been there since one time in 2007.)  I spent a lot of time around Stoney Creek Ontario (near Hamilton) in 2001-2006.  Looking forward to a brief return, Tim Hortons, Molson Canadian, and of course my now favorite musician/artist - Matthew Good!

ChicagoMike

Welcome ChicagoMike!