gursky

2017 Tour: Beautiful Midnight Revisited

yeah welcome to the forum.  I always find the stories of how American fans got in to Matt to be intriguing because so often they are by random chance, or because they heard a song on the radio on a brief visit, but they are always unique stories.  Glad to hear you're going to make it out to a show and that you, like so many other MG fans were able to use his music to buoy you through a tough spot.  Anything of Beautiful Midnight you're particularly looking forward to hearing?  

Edited by adam_777

There was also that picture Matt posted on FB from the Google Play show in April of this year, where he had a completely different band.  From what I could gather in the comments, it was Dave MacMillan on bass, Topher Stott on drums, Ricky Tillo on guitar, and another guitarist who wasn't named.  Maybe this MacMillan chap will take over from Bones?

Also I'd love to know what was played at that show...

I googled Matthew Good forums and ended up here.  I was gifted a couple of Canadian mix CD's in 2001 and there were 2 Matthew Good tracks on there.  Since then I re-discovered MG in 2014 on Sirius XM Iceberg (now The Verge) and ended up purchasing ALL of his CD's (band, solo, live etc. from his website.)  It was the soundtrack in a critical time of my life for about 2 years.

I will be driving up to Canada for the London and Hamilton show, looking very forward to revisiting Ontario (haven't been there since one time in 2007.)  I spent a lot of time around Stoney Creek Ontario (near Hamilton) in 2001-2006.  Looking forward to a brief return, Tim Hortons, Molson Canadian, and of course my now favorite musician/artist - Matthew Good!

ChicagoMike

Haha, too funny. I'm the guy that responded to your comment on the event page. I am also going to the Hamilton show! Welcome!

There was also that picture Matt posted on FB from the Google Play show in April of this year, where he had a completely different band. From what I could gather in the comments, it was Dave MacMillan on bass, Topher Stott on drums, Ricky Tillo on guitar, and another guitarist who wasn't named. Maybe this MacMillan chap will take over from Bones?

Also I'd love to know what was played at that show...

Dave McMillan is a fantastic bassist. He has to be one of the top Canadian bass players. I have seen him play many shows with Big Wreck. Funny knack I have for meeting these top bassists. I play bass in bands that have played this small rock bar with a great vibe The Hideout in TO (sadly just closed down). Well, once I went there for a beer after rehearsal and to my surprise see Milos Angelov up there with a cover band just making some extra cash ( he is one funky bassist when letting loose!) Nice guy too. Would love to have him back as well.

Next time I was in, it was the bassist for band Magic playing with a casual band on a Wed night calling themselves The Undercovers.

I did the same thing again 6 months later and its Dave McMillan playing up there on a last minute sub-in with local band Disco Rebels. Ha, From what I recall I was a bit drunk and talked his ear off after all things bass. Top bassist.

Just last night I was at our usual Polson Pier rehearsal spot and I get talking to Kenneth Cunningham who turns out to be bassist on platinum selling Edwin album from late nineties. And he got to play with a certain Blake on that album!

Ha! I just know its got to be Geddy next!!!

Holy Shit that was awesome.  I haven't really been a fan of Lyric Videos and didn't really get what the big deal was.  Seemed to me a way to advertise music without giving any thought whatsoever to the content of the video.  Usually just lyrics over random stock footage.  This video however, clearly shows an effort was made to reflect the themes of the song.  I love the urban decay juxtaposed against the endless folds of similar looking homes.  Does anyone else get a disturbed feeling seeing those houses? It reminds me of the feeling I get in Pink Floyd's The Wall movie with the marching hammers.  It's creepy and unsettling even though its subtle.  Anyways clearly some great artistic choices in the direction of this video! 

Edited by adam_777
  • Upvote 1

Just spoke with Milos. As I suspected, he is busy with production, lots of travel and stuff. So it's not him. The mystery continues.

Dave McMillan with just announced Big Wreck tour this winter...

Since we're all pretty unsure at this point ... wild card prediction ... Ryan Dahle??? They're buddies and Ryan plays like every instrument ...

Another wild-card prediction....Matt is friends with Duncan Coutts of OLP ...OLP just finished their tour ...

Hey, Coutts would be great- just read he never came up with that grooving Naveed bassline- joined just after. However, my fav OLP bassline is his -One Man Army- so he's qualified in my opinion!

Hey Matt, I'm available for all your bass playing needs.

Duncan is also such an underrated player. He really brings a lot of those OLP songs to life witch his groove. Actually, they're all incredibly talented. I've been going back to their records this past year and falling in love with them all over again.

Did Bones confirm he's out. I know it's been said that Stu ruled out Rich, Milos ruled out himself, but who confirmed no Bones?

At TURF they said it was the last show with Bones because he's back with Midnight Oil for their 2017 tour. That'd be a wicked surprise though lol. Bones was awesome.

Duncan would be super cool too. Great bassist. Nice dude.

Is this actually happening with set dates though? Other than a message in May saying they'll tour Australia.  But I dont see any confirmed dates or anything, as long as they aren't touring during that six week period I dont see why it couldn't happen.  

He's back in Australia...so I mean they must be getting ready. And he said "for a while".

I wondered it before, if the dates didn't conflict. But getting in the rehearsal time and all that before the tour, I just don't see it happening. I'd be thrilled if it did. Plus Oil is probably gonna have a lot of prep too. It's been a while.

Edited by emmit643

Yeah too bad for sure if he can't, that lineup on the last tour was just awesome.  Bones added a lot in my opinion.  Thanks for the feedback on the info as to why he most likely won't be there.  Definitely curious to hear who the band will be, Stu sounds confirmed, is Blake as well? I'm hoping to hear Anthony is back as well.  

Hey Matt, I'm available for all your bass playing needs.

Duncan is also such an underrated player. He really brings a lot of those OLP songs to life witch his groove. Actually, they're all incredibly talented. I've been going back to their records this past year and falling in love with them all over again.

He is fantastic. When I went to see OLP this past fall, I spent most of my time staring at him. Amazing performer! At one of the Massey Hall MG shows I went to during the Nothing to Hide Tour, Duncan was on the soundboard and Matt did a little shout out to him part way through. He was recording it for a possible (?) live release ...I wonder what ever happened to that recording, because that show was epic. 

He's back in Australia...so I mean they must be getting ready. And he said "for a while".

I wondered it before, if the dates didn't conflict. But getting in the rehearsal time and all that before the tour, I just don't see it happening. I'd be thrilled if it did. Plus Oil is probably gonna have a lot of prep too. It's been a while.

Yes, I remember them saying this at TURF as well.

He is fantastic. When I went to see OLP this past fall, I spent most of my time staring at him. Amazing performer! At one of the Massey Hall MG shows I went to during the Nothing to Hide Tour, Duncan was on the soundboard and Matt did a little shout out to him part way through. He was recording it for a possible (?) live release ...I wonder what ever happened to that recording, because that show was epic. 

Yeah, I remember that too! I thought it was pretty cool since up until then I always thought he was always on the outs with OLP, and then Jeremy playing the Jay and Matt show. Massey Hall just brings the best out of everyone apparently!

The soundboard recording from that night (which WAS an amazing night, one I'll never forget) was used for the Vancouver bonus tracks. Silent Army and Black Helicopter I believe. From what I heard not much was useable, which is a shame. I'd love to have the soundboard recording of Fated from that night.

Edited by jjazz