Manchalivin

Random MG Thread

I thought it might be nice to have a thread where you post any old MG related thought or opinion that comes to mind.  Is this a good idea?

I was just thinking how much I like Truffle Pigs.  Matt sings some unique notes there that I haven't really heard from him elsewhere that I can recall.  It makes me nostalgic for that old voice and style.

Doesn't seem odd to me, Matt has always been a very consistent live vocalist, and he knows his limits (case in point: Apparitions in Ab instead of B), and he doesn't often cop out when there's a big moment.  I've always noticed him to be very solid pitch-wise in the 12 shows I've seen and the dozens of bootlegs out there, especially when you compare to other vocalists that have been doing it for as long as him (I love me some old OLP, but Raine hasn't been able to hack it live for over a decade).  Amazing song too, so glad to have heard it live a couple of times.

Doesn't seem odd to me, Matt has always been a very consistent live vocalist, and he knows his limits (case in point: Apparitions in Ab instead of B), and he doesn't often cop out when there's a big moment.  I've always noticed him to be very solid pitch-wise in the 12 shows I've seen and the dozens of bootlegs out there, especially when you compare to other vocalists that have been doing it for as long as him (I love me some old OLP, but Raine hasn't been able to hack it live for over a decade).  Amazing song too, so glad to have heard it live a couple of times.

OLP is a great example of a band not changing up old material to match the realities of the singer's current ability. Raine's voice in the late 90s was incredible, and his ability to hold such a high falsetto was probably unmatched in the rock scene. Unfortunately, time has the effect of bringing down people's voices, and he just can't do what he once did. He still has great stage presence, but he just can't hold a note. And now that all the original members are gone except Raine, it's just not the same. 

I'd go see OLP one last time, but I don't hold much hope for the future.

Doesn't seem odd to me, Matt has always been a very consistent live vocalist, and he knows his limits (case in point: Apparitions in Ab instead of B), and he doesn't often cop out when there's a big moment.  I've always noticed him to be very solid pitch-wise in the 12 shows I've seen and the dozens of bootlegs out there.

Now that I think about it, yeah I agree he really is very aware of his limits, very rarely does he go out of pitch.  On some shows he'll hit the big notes, and others he might low-ball a note here or there a bit.  I'm sure the limits of what your voice can do changes from show to show, and tour to tour, depending on all sorts of factors. I'd rather have a singer sound good than to cringe as they try to hit notes they just can't hit that night. My voice is sore after one concert and I'm just a fan! Imagine doing that night after night...

kinda like the idea of this thread.  I had a question I didnt think was worth a new thread for, so it will fit in here nicely.  

What is the deal with Lo-Fi B-Sides, how was it distributed? I've always heard that 5000 were made and combined with shipments of Underdogs.  Which I always took to mean that it shipped with the first 5000 preorders of the album.  But then just the other day I realized that Lo-Fi's release date was 1998, where as Underdogs was was November 1997.  So clearly Lo-Fi was not shipped with the first copies of Underdogs.  So how did this come about then?  Was Underdogs re-released in 1998 with Lo-Fi to capitalize on the Summer 1998 success of Apparitions? Were they simply handed out at random?  Internet purchasing was in it's infancy at that time, so I'm assuming these were handed out in stores.  So how did it work?  Did you approach the counter with Underdogs and a copy of Lo-Fi was pulled from under the desk? Were copies of Lo-Fi more common in some areas? as in were 2000 sent to the Vancouver area, 2000 to Toronto and the other 1000 dispersed to various stores across the country?  

I know some of that is pretty in depth and its likely no one here knows, but it just made me curious how this release was handled and when exactly was it packaged with Underdogs.   

Edited by adam_777

kinda like the idea of this thread.  I had a question I didnt think was worth a new thread for, so it will fit in here nicely.  

What is the deal with Lo-Fi B-Sides, how was it distributed? I've always heard that 5000 were made and combined with shipments of Underdogs.  Which I always took to mean that it shipped with the first 5000 preorders of the album.  But then just the other day I realized that Lo-Fi's release date was 1998, where as Underdogs was was November 1997.  So clearly Lo-Fi was not shipped with the first copies of Underdogs.  So how did this come about then?  Was Underdogs re-released in 1998 with Lo-Fi to capitalize on the Summer 1998 success of Apparitions? Were they simply handed out at random?  Internet purchasing was in it's infancy at that time, so I'm assuming these were handed out in stores.  So how did it work?  Did you approach the counter with Underdogs and a copy of Lo-Fi was pulled from under the desk? Were copies of Lo-Fi more common in some areas? as in were 2000 sent to the Vancouver area, 2000 to Toronto and the other 1000 dispersed to various stores across the country?  

I know some of that is pretty in depth and its likely no one here knows, but it just made me curious how this release was handled and when exactly was it packaged with Underdogs.   

Lo-Fi B-Sides was released with Underdogs at HMV only if I recall correctly. As far as distribution I couldn't tell.

So how did it work?  Did you approach the counter with Underdogs and a copy of Lo-Fi was pulled from under the desk? Were copies of Lo-Fi more common in some areas? as in were 2000 sent to the Vancouver area, 2000 to Toronto and the other 1000 dispersed to various stores across the country?  

Not sure about how the other 4,999 but I know how one was distributed.  At Edgefest 1998 MGB was playing on the small stage and the HMV tent had CD's for all artists in attendance.  They were selling Underdogs with Lo-Fi B-Sides sealed in the same plastic wrap.

My friend didn't own Underdogs at the time so he bought the CD at the concert and ended up with a surprise collector's item.  Edgefest was national that year so maybe a portion were sold at the festival and the remainder were in store?  

• Upvote 1

Thanks Gursky, very interesting to know.  That would go with my theory then that maybe they were released to coincide with the single Apparitions, although I can't say for sure because I can't find an exact release date for either, just that Apparitions was a Summer single that peak in October 1998.  

I find Lo-Fi to be fascinating because it was the only album that was never actually sold.  It was a bonus item, and as such never had a set in store release date.  And because it seems to have been available in multiple, but inconsistent formats, it wouldn't even be a guarantee that the biggest fans originally got a copy.  

Yeah the seller has been dropping the price.   First time I saw it it was at $499.  Now down to $419.  It amazes me that these still hold that kind of asking price because for one In a Coma made all the songs readily available and two the fanbase has shrunk over the years since its release.  There seems to be far less people actively collecting this kind of thing anymore.  I think no doubt it'd be cool to have, but I just cant see myself putting out anywhere near the kind of money people seem to still ask for this kinda thing.  

Still I do have an interest in the history of the album.  It's funny to me that for a time Loser Anthems was consider to be a rarity too.  Considering over 200,000 people bought Beautiful Midnight, it makes sense that with only 35,000 copies Loser Anthems would quickly be gone from retailers, but as the fanbase has dwindled, so many of these now float around I dont even consider it to be rare at all.  You can easily scoop one on ebay at any given time for under $20 and I see them in retail stores too with some regularity.  

• Upvote 2

So, picking up this conversation according to the premise the OP set out...

I was listening to the Matthew Good Apple Music Channel ...and one of the similar/recommended songs was "Into Fire" by Jay Malinowski. Usually these algorithm dealies don't work the best ...but this song definitely has some Suburbia/ballads from 1999-2001 era MG vibe going on, especially the percussion. Don't get me wrong, he doesn't sound like Matt ...but the song kind of makes me feel the same, if that makes the sense?

I know nothing else about him...but a few promising tunes, anyways.

EDIT*:

Upon googling the man, he is the dude from Bedouin Soundclash. I haven't thought about that band in what seems like a decade... Edited by andydanger85

Guest Idioteque

"In the midst of touring (for Underdogs) across the continent and two trips across the ocean, LO-FI B-SIDES was released to keep the buying public happy."

quote I found online.

Thanks Tony. I think thats about as definitive a statement on a release date we'll get.

I find LoFi so fascinating because unlike other limited releases such as the Avalanche vinyl there was no gaurantee the biggest fans would get it. Many people who got copies were probably casual fans who made the decision to buy Underdogs well after its initial release. Unaware they were about to receive this rarity. I think that explains the rarity of this release. There are probably quite a few of the 5000 copies in the hands of casual fans who never even realized that add on cd was worth anything at all. There were only 1000 copies of the Avalanche vinyl yet I see it for sale all the time. Even Blue Loser anthems with a tenth the production of LoFi. I see with about the same frequency.

Thought this was a really good radio interview I found on youtube from the 2005 tour.  Just happened to pop up for me on my youtube mix

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Et6SIiQb7rM

Never heard it but im sure some of you did.  What I thought was interesting is how he said Deep Six might get played on a night.  Don't think it ever did though? But interesting retrospective interview.

Edited by Stwlegend

Guest Idioteque

Speaking of 2005, I'm not sure if this Sean guy is in The Bored but BLESS YOU for uploading some vintage Matthew Good live concert footage.

Check these gems out folks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nj1JvSAkZ5s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_a3P-pEqseQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r-1hk_ZJgAE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gHINZT7p9ts

Oh my god Matt is such an underrated guitar player. I always wanted to ask him why he never played guitar solos, didn't seem to be the case in 2005. 

Speaking of 2005, I'm not sure if this Sean guy is in The Bored but BLESS YOU for uploading some vintage Matthew Good live concert footage.

Yes, that was my doing.  I posted about the videos in The Lounge but it didn't make their way to this side.  These are meant to be shared so thanks for linking them here.  

Here was the preamble I gave about the videos:

A decade back Matthew Good performed in Edmonton numerous times in the span of a year.  There was a festival show, a three night stand in a small venue and an acoustic performance.  I recorded the audio for all the shows, which have been shared in some form or another over that time.  What most of you don’t know is that video was rolling on four shows and the entire concert was captured!  

I would mix the video and audio, author the DVD and then pass them out at the next MG show.  I don’t believe any of these have ever been shared online, so enjoy what has been hidden away for the last decade.   

The concerts are also uploaded to Dimeadozen as well and still being seeded.

Man, Hospital Music is a fantastic experience through a journey of emotions.  It is so sincere and honest which is a big part of what makes it so strong.  It is distinct among MG's albums, not just for the lyrical themes, but musically.  On one hand it seems like a pretty depressing album, but there is a fair amount of beautiful melody and upbeat parts that make it quite varied, and some hopeful lyrics.  I really like the little samples and subtle touches throughout.  Most of the songs are highlights.  Black Helicopter might be my favourite.  This album kind of stands out to me more than any other MG album and sometimes resonates with me most.

Edited by Manchalivin

Yes, that was my doing.  I posted about the videos in The Lounge but it didn't make their way to this side.  These are meant to be shared so thanks for linking them here.  

Here was the preamble I gave about the videos:

The concerts are also uploaded to Dimeadozen as well and still being seeded.

For Pete's sake thank you so much!!

Every once in a great while I kind of enjoy Last Of The Ghetto Astronauts. I always really liked She's Got A New Disguise and Fearless especially and The War Is Over and Symbolistic White Walls are quite good, but for the most part the album is rather bland to me usually.

Every once in a great while I kind of enjoy Last Of The Ghetto Astronauts. I always really liked She's Got A New Disguise and Fearless especially and The War Is Over and Symbolistic White Walls are quite good, but for the most part the album is rather bland to me usually.

I will listen to SWW, and haven't slept in years at times but that's usually about it. Just never got into the album

Guest Idioteque

Man, this would have been INSANE to go to. Best way to explain to friends how big MGB used to be. "Um, played with Foo Fighters & Green Day, opened for Aerosmith & The Who.. kind of a biiiig deal"

EdgeFestinCalgaryJuly9th1998ad.jpg