Sign in to follow this  
Manchalivin

Random MG Thread

Some randomness for the random MG thread. Thought this was interesting, a short article about Dave leaving MGB. Says Ryan from Limblifter was to fill in for a show in Saskatoon in Sept 01. I'm guessing that show never happened? Good little read from that time period anyway.

http://www.chartattack.com/news/2001/08/27/dave-genn-quits-matthew-good-band/

Edited by Stwlegend

Man, this would have been INSANE to go to. Best way to explain to friends how big MGB used to be. "Um, played with Foo Fighters & Green Day, opened for Aerosmith & The Who.. kind of a biiiig deal"EdgeFestinCalgaryJuly9th1998ad.jpg

Was at this show in Saskatoon. That's when I realized MGB was the real deal.

Some randomness for the random MG thread. Thought this was interesting, a short article about Dave leaving MGB. Says Ryan from Limblifter was to fill in for a show in Saskatoon in Sept 01. I'm guessing that show never happened? Good little read from that time period anyway.http://www.chartattack.com/news/2001/08/27/dave-genn-quits-matthew-good-band/

Show was canceled because 9/11 just happened. I had tickets to it and were refunded. Concert was to be called "Screamfest" and had a bunch of bands a la Edgest and OLP's Summersault tour of that era.

Show was canceled because 9/11 just happened. I had tickets to it and were refunded. Concert was to be called "Screamfest" and had a bunch of bands a la Edgest and OLP's Summersault tour of that era.

Thanks, did not make that connection.  That would have been an interesting show. 

I don't think I realized Dave left before Audio of Being came out. What an odd thing to not remember.

Edited by russic

I don't think I realized Dave left before Audio of Being came out. What an odd thing to not remember.

I believe he left and came back before the official disbanding?  I'm sure someone can correct me if not but I think that's what happened. 

I know the 'what ifs' are nothing more than that, but interesting to think if that show went down with Ryan if it would have been just what it was meant to be as a fill-in, or led to something else MGB related.

I believe he left and came back before the official disbanding?  I'm sure someone can correct me if not but I think that's what happened. 

I know the 'what ifs' are nothing more than that, but interesting to think if that show went down with Ryan if it would have been just what it was meant to be as a fill-in, or led to something else MGB related.

If my memory serves me correctly it was announced that he left, then came back, then a couple days later left for good and the band was done. I know when I had tickets for that show I was curious to see if they'd be playing any new stuff from the upcoming AOB album.

If my memory serves me correctly it was announced that he left, then came back, then a couple days later left for good and the band was done. I know when I had tickets for that show I was curious to see if they'd be playing any new stuff from the upcoming AOB album.

Dave left at the end of August 2001, came back 4 days later. Then Dave and Ian left in November 2001. 

Of course, that's what happened publicly. There's probably loads that happened behind the scenes that we don't know about (rightfully so of course).

Dave left at the end of August 2001, came back 4 days later. Then Dave and Ian left in November 2001. 

Of course, that's what happened publicly. There's probably loads that happened behind the scenes that we don't know about (rightfully so of course).

Agreed 100% :)

I've been reading old manifestos & stumbled upon this quote. I always wondered how Todd Kerns sang on Underdogs & the story behind it. 

To answer another commonly asked question, yes we are aquatinted with the lads from AOE. We got Todd to sing back-up vocals on those songs because I couldn't sing that high and Todd's the only person we know that can. Listen real close, you'll hear him.

Question, has anyone heard "Is Everyone In"?

When we recorded the demos for Beautiful Midnight there were several tracks that got the axe during pre-production. One of them was Flashdance II, which was released on the internet earlier this year. The other two tracks were Is Everyone In and My Life As A Circus Clown. Following my throat surgery in January I went to England on holiday for a month and, along with Warne, spent some time remixing the songs in hopes of releasing an EP similar to Lo-Fi B-Sides. I also added a track entitled The Man From Harold Wood which was recorded during the mixing session and attached to the end of Flashdance II due to my disdain for the existing conclusion of that song. We also mastered the disk so that it would appear as one track on CD players. I did this to force people to listen to it as the band intended it to be listened to. I am unable to do it with our usual records, so I though I'd be a prick this one time and have some fun. You can always fast forward through it if it starts pissing you off.

Edited by mrtrufflepig