Guest Idioteque

New Album 2017

Some day someone is going to have to explain to me the purpose of fading a song out at the end. I sincerely don't understand it. The song does have an end. Once played live, it's not being faded out! So why on record? Not complaining by the way I really don't understand the reason for it.

(Days Come Down fades out which is where my question came from :P )

Edited by Tips

Some day someone is going to have to explain to me the purpose of fading a song out at the end. I sincerely don't understand it. The song does have an end. Once played live, it's not being faded out! So why on record? Not complaining by the way I really don't understand the reason for it.

(Days Come Down fades out which is where my question came from :P )

Just listened to Days Come Down and the fade out is kind of weird.  I don't get it.  Maybe it has something to do with the next song on the album.  We'll have to wait and see.

Some day someone is going to have to explain to me the purpose of fading a song out at the end. 

Sort of related, but there was a Vox video essay on that recently.  Pop vs. rock may not apply but it was information and went in to the history of how this originally happened.   

• Upvote 1

Love the album cover.  It seems to fit the theme of the album, seems like he's wearing one of the helmets peoplelisten t (or riot police etc) wear at protests (like Charlottesville).  Love how the font & overall look is very unique to his other albums too.

Excited to listen to the lyrics & his thoughts about everything that's been going on with identity politics etc.

Edited by Moonlight_Graham

So I just listened to the three songs and I'm really digging them all and I know I'll be really high on the album right when it comes out. The big test will be how much I like the album a year after release. I was really high on Arrow and Chaotic and while I still think both of those albums are good with moments of greatness, they just haven't held up in my mind as well as HM or LoES (which I think Matt's solo career high water mark). Super digging the chorus-y new wave sound (but I've been listening to a shitload of Slowdive and Galaxie 500 lately and that dreampop stuff shares a lot with new wave I think).

Pre-ordered my vinyl shortly after I saw the Facebook post. I haven't downloaded the 3 advance tracks yet because I kinda don't wanna listen too much and spoil the newness of the album in general.

Was surprised when I read that nothing from the original Something Like A Storm demo is actually included in the newly recorded title track. That seems kind of weird, that he would completely change the song and keep the name. But hey, he's the artist, he can take the music in any direction he chooses.

Hoping that this time around the vinyl doesn't take like 4 additional months to ship. Very excited as always for a new Matt Good album!

Edited by Gomo

Sort of related, but there was a Vox video essay on that recently.  Pop vs. rock may not apply but it was information and went in to the history of how this originally happened.   

that was super interesting. I love that the first recorded fade out was on the Planets, it has to be one of my favourite classical albums

Is there any benefit in preordering this year? I didn't see any info on whether or not anything would be signed and I'd rather just pick them up the day of from Sunrise to avoid shipping if that's the case.

I've pre-ordered...that way I can get the download to my phone as soon as it's released without having to go to the store, by the CD, rip it to my computer, transfer to my phone, yada yada. (lazy much?) But I will also buy the CD too just to keep in the car. I still like having physical copies of music, and I don't mind supporting an artist I really enjoy (like Matt) by buying the same album 2 or 3 times (ie. vinyl). Heaven knows artists don't make a lot of money on their actual music nowadays...even less on an iTunes download compared to a CD sale...tours and merch sales is where it's at.

I would expect it will be on Spotify the moment it's released, that's how it seems to work with everything else and all of Matt's previous releases.  If you live in the west, it will actually probably be on there by 9pm PST the night before the release date.

I'm liking Days Come Down the most out of the new songs released so far.  I really liked Decades when I heard it live on the tour, but the recording hasn't never quite hit me hard, same with Bad Guys Win.

Listening to the new stuff, it bothers me slightly that the vocals sound a bit unclear (don't sound as crisp) and they seem to be drowned out by everything else a bit.  I say this with no knowledge of audio mixing and stuff like that, but am I the only one?  The drums to be at the forefront a little more, maybe it's an intended effect?

I would expect it will be on Spotify the moment it's released, that's how it seems to work with everything else and all of Matt's previous releases.  If you live in the west, it will actually probably be on there by 9pm PST the night before the release date.

I'm liking Days Come Down the most out of the new songs released so far.  I really liked Decades when I heard it live on the tour, but the recording hasn't never quite hit me hard, same with Bad Guys Win.

Good to know about Spotify.

I agree about Days Come Down... it is my favorite of the new songs.  I've got it on repeat right now!

I was unable to find Days Come Down on US Spotify. So I went through the process of creating a playlist in iTunes with my downloaded tracks from preorder and then imported my iTunes playlists to Spotify and downloaded the playlist to save on Spotify on my phone and on MacBook Pro. Ay yi yi. Love that song though!

it's actually on youtube now also. It's not a bad song. I honestly prefer Bad Guys Win.  Would like to hear the song live.  Men at the Door is another one I really loved at first listen. Decades I'm heads or tails on. I love the live version and I really think the studio version will grow on me in time.

it's actually on youtube now also. It's not a bad song. I honestly prefer Bad Guys Win.  Would like to hear the song live.  Men at the Door is another one I really loved at first listen. Decades I'm heads or tails on. I love the live version and I really think the studio version will grow on me in time.

It's the eternal curse of hearing a song live before the recorded track—often the live version's tempo is brought up, and the sound seems "fuller." I love the live recordings of Decades, and while I do like the recorded version, it's slower tempo hurts it a bit.

The more I listen to Bad Guys Win the more I'm loving it. I was hoping for something a bit different for the album opener, but it's actually pretty cool.

Right now Days Come Down does absolutely nothing for me, sorry to say. There's too much going on and like others have said, the mix just doesn't seem balanced. It's a really good pop song though, and I think a lot of people will dig it especially if it starts getting radio play.

Needless to say I'm excited for the record. I really like decades but I have to take a break from it before I turn on it from too many listens prior to the record being out.

Guest Idioteque

Interesting description on Amazon.

"The theme of the album is one foreboding, of the gathering of socially divisive storm clouds, from the perspective of the personal to wider frames of inclusion,” Matthew says of Something Like a Storm. “The title comes from a demo originally recorded years ago. Given that it was roughly 20 minutes in length, and comprised of movements, I'd only written the first five lines of lyrics which are now the first lines on the album. Musically, the song on the album doesn't include anything from the original demo."