Guest Idioteque

New Album 2017

Long time lurker here, I got the album last night and have spun it half a dozen times now, Matt's on a real run right now with these albums. It's so weird to think it's been 20+ years since I heard Symbolistic White walls and he's still firing on all cylinders it's really amazing to me.

I couldn’t wait until I get my physical copy of the CD next week   :D … I listened to the songs on Spotify. Here are my first impressions after just listening to it once:

1. Bad guys win (no matter it is not on Spotify, don’t understand why): another of my favorite ones. I like the rhythm and the lyrics very much.
  2. Something like a storm: I just LOVE this song. I would be listening to it with my eyes closed all the time.
  3. Decades: I like this song very much since the song was launched.
  4. Days come down: I also like this song
  5. Men at the Door: another of those songs I would listen over and over again with my eyes closed. Spectacular. Love it.
  6. There the first time: like the music very much. Another of my favorite ones.
  7. She’s got you where she wants: another of my favorite ones: just love the part of the chorus. Wow…
  8. This is night: going crazy with this one, as well. I like it VERY much. It is going to become another of my favorite ones for sure.
  9. Bullets in a briefcase: my favorite one of all 9 songs so far. There couldn’t be a better closure of the whole CD. It makes my hair stand on end, nor only for the music but also for the lyrics. Thanks, Matt, for this jewel.

I'm just overwhelmed with the whole CD… I can’t stop smiling!  :)

Thanks, Matt, thank you very much for making me happy with your music and your lyrics.

Enjoy, guys, the new materials!

Hugs,

Juanpe

Edited by juanpe

It's directly taken from The Lone Gunman, one of his previous demos! 

Recorded around the time he did Vancouver, I believe.

Ah yes, I came back to say I figured out that it sounds like Last Parade, which evolved from Lone Gunman, no?

Haven't posted here in yonks.

I'm home late from work on a windy night in London. Sitting on the balcony for first album listen. And right now "Bullets in a Briefcase" has just ended. I want to play the whole thing on repeat until I fall asleep.

When I heard "Running for Home" I didn't think it could be outdone as an album closer. I thought the same of "Sort of a Protest Song". I thought the same of "Los Alamos". And tonight I think the same.

But I've started thinking something else. Finally. It's not about outdoing. It's about ending. And each of those (and all the others before and in between) conclude their own chapters. This album will be one of Matt's best... I can already feel it.

So this is my view tonight staring at the O2. I'm staring across dreaming of "Bullets" being played there.

Matt has gone out of his way to meet me - like many of you I'm sure - on a few occasions, and beautifully for me, doing it in both London, ON and London, UK. I'm just an Irish lad trying to get by in life and those moments I'll forever cherish.

The man is a gentleman. The musician is a genius.

We, the fans, are forever lucky and grateful for both of those things.

• Upvote 2

Here's my review from Soundblab.com (a site I write for):

https://soundblab.com/reviews/albums/19351-matthew-good-something-like-a-storm

Where most artists tend to settle into a period of artistic 'cruise-control' during their later years, content to mine the same tired territory over and over (often leading to diminished returns), Matthew Good has spent the better part of the last decade pushing the boundaries of his sound in every which way.  Whether it was the big-band deviations from 2011’s Lights of Endangered Species or the Pixies-inspired anthems from 2013’s Arrows of Desire, Good’s post-90’s alterna-rock-heyday output has been a series of bold artistic statements and equally defiant reactions.  

Something Like A Storm, Good’s eighth solo full-length (and fourth release in the past five years), manages to elicit fond memories from yesteryear while also providing a glimpse of what may lie ahead for the intrepid Canadian singer/songwriter.

The ‘on the nose’ album opener “Bad Guys Win”, with its explosive toms and shimmering guitars, channels a U2-esque vibe to great effect while the driving “Decades” shows off just how tight Good’s band has become.  Guitarist Stuart Cameron, bassist Peter Fusco, and drummer Blake Manning elevate even the most pedestrian of arrangements to another level with their ever-present synchronicity.

And while Good has never shied away from orchestral embellishments, Something Like A Storm finds the artist embracing new-wave-leaning textures in a whole new way.  “Days Come Down” is transformed by a saturating synth line while the driving “There the First Time” and backbeat-driven “She’s Got You Where She Wants You” are impressively buoyed by Cure-esque guitar lines and a lushly cinematic production.

And where Good’s previous outing Chaotic Neutral tended to draw a hard line between lush, brooding ruminations and labored, upbeat numbers, there is a more seamless balance this time around.  The album’s third track, the pensive quasi-ballad “Men at the Door” and the anthemic “This is Night” show off just how effectively Good has become at wielding dynamics as his weapon of choice.

Meanwhile, the brooding, circular title track “Something Like a Storm” and the absolutely stunning “Bullet’s In A Briefcase” immediately recall the sort of overstated melancholic grandeur that helped set Good’s former band apart from the fray.  Both songs are built around plodding, circular riffs that ebb and flow between pensive restraint and explosive crescendos so effectively that they may be worth the price of admission by themselves.

With nine tracks spread across 43 minutes, Something Like A Storm indulges Good's penchant for depth while never threatening to overstay its welcome.  And for his part, Good’s voice is in rare form, for while he predictably carries the more up-tempo numbers with his well-honed croon, it’s during the album’s most low-key moments that his growth as a lyricist and singer really begin to come into focus.  The opening lines of “Bullet in a Briefcase” (Little fish, boat's too full, down you go...) not only perfectly encapsulate the overall vibe of the album, but Good’s delivery is so perfectly delicate that it’s hard to imagine a younger version of himself being able to deliver a more authentic performance.

Simply remaining inspired is the real challenge for any artist who has been at it as long as Matthew Good has; and if nothing else, the man sounds as inspired as ever on Something Like A Storm.  And whether it’s a culmination of a lifetime's worth of experiences colliding with an ever-growing air of political-discord or simply the next step in an ongoing personal evolution, on every level Something Like A Storm feels like the beginning of something new from an artist who clearly has a lot left to say.

Suffice it to say I am blown away by the record.  The thing that's tricky about writing about music is that it is almost a requirement that you share your initial thoughts as quickly as possible...it's just how journalism works.  And with most of Matt's work, my thoughts really tend to evolve over time. 

I loved Arrows initially, it's fallen back for me a bit over time.  Chaotic was the opposite (so much so that it's probably my second favorite album of his EVER now) and Lights has been my favorite album of all time since the moment I first heard it (the record connected with me in a way that is almost spiritual).

The point is that there is rarely any rhyme or reason to how any of this works but I think it's safe to say that this record is one of his best and I can't wait to hear where he goes next!

Edited by Williammunny11

Didn't get a chance to see it streamed live at the office but nice to hear MG gave us a shout out lol.

The stream appears to be up on MG's YouTube:

I like what Alan and Matt said at the 19:50 mark about how listeners and artists learn more about themselves by consuming/creating the music that they do. Very true. Probably the biggest reason I've been a fan of Matts' for so long is that, like any good story teller, his music helps me consider things about myself and the world that I never would have otherwise thought about. His music is also the reason I started writing music too. If the contagiousness of the thought/creativity of one person's music isn't the mark of a brilliant musician I really don't know what is.

I sometimes think back to 2006 and how Matt almost died and think to myself how grateful I am that so many of us still get to listen to and learn from the music he makes. The honesty and urgency he's always been able to convey through it has always been one of the greatest gifts I've ever been privileged enough to receive in my life. 

Edited by daniel_v

Not gonna lie....when I first starting skimming the tracks last night, not very much really "grabbed" me. But that's exactly the point - it's an "album". Matt is one of the rare artists who still writes albums - not singles. And it took me awhile to get into the new sound. Kinda like how "In A World Called Catastrophe" was such a departure from anything else he had released in the MGB days. "Something Like A Storm" is pure gold.....buried in the middle of the album where you have to mine for it. Like Non Populus and Garden of Knives and Girls in Black - if this were on a cassette it would be at the start of Side B where you'd have to work to get to it.....and then be blown away.

Guest Idioteque

Concerning the fade outs it doesn't bother me, songs from Toto's Africa to Boston's More Than A Feeling contain it, The Tragically Hip do it alot too. 

2 complaints for the album: #1 is how short it is, my Spotify clocks in at 41:26 making it the shortest studio album in his discography I believe. I really wish Days Come Down had another 8 bars at the end because it really starts to pick up & the fade out happens so quickly it sounds like my phone is turning off.

#2, the lack of lead guitar in his albums lately: I've come to really appreciate Dave Genn's lead work in the MGB albums because he's always doing something, he's constantly staying active. From pedal effects, to solos, to the most annoying bends I've ever heard in the chorus of Strangest One Of All, but it works in that song & I love itI was really surprised by the amount of parts in the new songs weren't being played live by anyone yesterday, that kind of walks a thin line with me. I'm fine with piano backing tracks but the main melody in Days Come Down could be played by Stu, I just think it will defeat the purpose of playing Something like a Storm live if the entire orchestra section is played on a keyboard or backing track. I truly miss hearing lead guitarists in Rock albums nowadays, orchestra's don't really do much for me when you know how MIDI works (not sure if Matt used live players on the album). I was expecting more of a Blue Skies over Bad Land feel with the title track.

If this album had 1 or 2 more songs & the lead guitar had more room to experiment & packed a punch then the album would feel complete to me. 'Arrows of Desire' nailed rock & roll, 'Chaotic Neutral' nailed being chaotic, I find 'Something Like A Storm' to be the same flavor from start to finish without ever stepping outside of the box or switching it's game up. The album is great as a whole but the songs individually don't contain much of a bite, it's a problem I've had with the Foo Fighters for the longest time, only band I know with 3 guitarists that make as much noise as 1 guy with a loop pedal. 

8/10 is my verdict. 

_

To clarify, I don't mean "stepping outside of the box or switching its game up" as a bad thing either. The Tragically Hip write Hip albums because that's what they do best, Matt writes great MG albums & at this point of his career I'm not expecting him to start messing around with 50,000 didgeridoos. He's found a unique style to his songwriting, a sound you instantly recognize when it plays on the radio. If he embraced leads as much as Mark Knopfler, Ian Thornley & Rob Baker then it opens up a huge door in music that Matt never really dabbled in. 

Yeah, I feel some of the songs are muted in the sense that you'd expect a falsetto here or a soaring guitar solo there and they just don't appear. Maybe it fits the album's theme?

But the interesting thing is I'm finding hooks elsewhere beyond the typical means.

I’m very impressed with how well the songs are constructed and how great the production is. There’s a lot of layering on many of these tracks that I don’t remember hearing in the previous couple albums. This is a great album in its totality and one that I already cherish owning.

Just thinking about Bullets in a Briefcase while I was at work today made me choke up a little. There are many songs on this album that are emotionally evocative. Having Bullets in a Briefcase at the end is just about the best exclamation mark he could have put on the album when you listen to it as a statement.

Job very well done. My favorites are There the First Time, This is Night, and Bullets in a Briefcase.

The beginning of This Is Night sounded so familiar to me but I couldn't place it as Lone Gunman. Interesting.

I've listened to the new album a couple times and it's going to have to grow on me if I'm going to get too into it. My first impression is how radio friendly and accessible it sounds and parts maybe a bit generic. It has some very nice moments and a few solid songs but overall it doesn't really grab me much yet.

In a world where everything is at our fingertips  this is an album I am happy that I paid for.  Matt deserves every single penny for the work he put in on this.  I anxiously await the tour and even though he likely won't come to the states I await the recordings produced.

You should come to Canada. The tour in the New Year will be phenomenal. I can sense it.

Matt has gone out of his way to meet me - like many of you I'm sure - on a few occasions, and beautifully for me, doing it in both London, ON and London, UK. I'm just an Irish lad trying to get by in life and those moments I'll forever cherish.

The man is a gentleman. The musician is a genius.

I remember when you won that Matt Good contest long time ago. You spent a day with Matt in the studio, if I remember correctly. Welcome back.

I like listening to albums from start to finish. But I’m finding it very hard to listen to this one like that. Not because I think it’s a bad album but because I find that Bullets in a Briefcase is so far ahead of any other song on this album that I just want to skip right to it. It’s almost making the other songs extra dull or something that I just feel like skipping to the end. I find that this album is very backloaded with Something Like A Storm and This Is Night being my next faves.

All in all, I think the album is great and it definitely grabs me more than CN after my first few listens.

Thanks Matt for another great one.

The second half of the album is the strongest in my opinion. It might simply be because I've already heard the singles a bunch of times on spotify for a while now... I think This is Night is the best song on the album. 

I'd have to agree with what mrtrufflepig wrote with the main complaints being how short the record is and the lack of lead guitar even if obviously that wasn't the direction that this record was headed in. Another gripe that I've had for a few albums now is how boring the drums are in almost every song. I realize that this is probably intended but there just seems like so much more potential for interesting beats and fills that never gets realized. 

Still seems like a great album but I wonder if I'll be revisiting it that often in a couple years...

Bullets in a Briefcase is a majestic masterpiece. I've been listening to that song nonstop. Hearing that music takes me away to a beautiful place. That's the best Matthew Good song I've ever heard in my life, and I've heard pretty much everything. Warne, Matt and everyone else who was involved with this song are geniuses. Bullets in a Briefcase definitely warrants going to one or more concerts just to hear it live. I can't wait for the tour. I think this is the best album of Matt's career. I give it a 10/10.

Edited by girl

I've only listened to it twice but Chaotic Neutral was a much stronger album to me. Cold Water, Los Alamos, Harridan, Kid Down the Well, Tiger By The Tail, Girls In Black, Cloudbusting are all range from very good to some of the best songs of Matt's career.

i like this album way more than Chaotic Neutral. why? couldn't tell ya. i'll be keeping an eye out for the tour. i want to here these songs live, and i may drag my butt to a dive bar to see him play them if i have to (please please please fingers crossed for a proper venue this time around).

• Upvote 1

Really I think this is a good album. It has no bad songs, just a couple that are nothing special, it has some very strong moments and solid songwriting as usual and flows well. I think it's more an album I'll like for what it is (80's/new wave influenced) but doesn't have the depth and won't have the lasting quality of most of his others. Then again, maybe I'm getting ahead of myself and speaking too much too soon.

I love Decades, I just wander around singing that song right now.  I was worried when I downloaded the first couple available tracks after preordering the album.  Days Come Down and Decades sounded to similar at first and it really bugged me.  Now that Men at the Door is in between I am able to appreciate the two a whole lot more.  Bullets in a Briefcase is haunting, powerful, and almost like it was a holdover of LOES (my favorite album).