Guest Idioteque

New Album 2017

I agree with what's been said before. It's an awesome song, great music and feel but there's an oumph missing at the end. I remember the first time I heard the orchestral crecendo on Empty's Theme Park, I felt a tingle in my stomach. That's missing on Something Like a Storm. And I'm not talking about a chorus. Just a culmination point. But it's still great and definitely an earworm.

The lyrics I hear: 

Go to sleep, your head on my chest

Dream of something effortless

My heart beats out message born (??)

Something like a storm

Living night where the nights are long

From time to time and song to song

Feel the faces of strangers' war

Something like a storm

Something like a storm

Something like a storm

Hold on, see the change(?) that we've made against the waves

Cause if a light where the nights are long

From time to time and home to home

See the walls of the neighbors form

Something like a storm

I agree with what's been said before. It's an awesome song, great music and feel but there's an oumph missing at the end. I remember the first time I heard the orchestral crecendo on Empty's Theme Park, I felt a tingle in my stomach. That's missing on Something Like a Storm. And I'm not talking about a chorus. Just a culmination point. But it's still great and definitely an earworm.

The lyrics I hear: 

Go to sleep, your head on my chest

My heart beats out message born (??)

Something like a storm

Living night where the nights are long

From time to time and song to song

Feel the faces of strangers' war

Something like a storm

Something like a storm

Something like a storm

Hold on, see the change(?) that we've made against the waves

Cause if a light where the nights are long

From time to time and home to home

See the walls of the neighbors form

Something like a storm

Okay, just an idea guys ... was listening to this tonight and I came up with a theory:

The original "Something like a Storm" was a 25 minute song, right? The album, in this case, is called "Something like a Storm". Yes, there is indeed also a song with that name, but hear me out.

Things we've noticed so far:

- What's up with all the fade outs?

- Something Like A Storm, the song, is a pretty tasty jam ... but it fades out into ??

Things we know about Matt, based on things he has said and tendencies he displays on albums:

- One, cohesive concept (Vancouver, Hospital Music etc.)

-  He's spoken about how he thinks "Echoes" by Pink Floyd is one of the best songs ever written (it's the whole side of an album and runs about 23 minutes)

- The original demo for "Something like a Storm", was also about 23 minutes

- He's often expressed his preference for albums, his distaste with singles, and much of the beef he's had with record companies over the years has been due to them expecting singles/him not wanting to write them (ie; HTB was written in five minutes on a broken guitar and started as a joke, Anti-Pop exists as a living satire of the fact that Universal made him write a single for them to release after Carmelina, Buffalo Seven was also written as an afterthought on WLRRR due to a lack of non-political/single material)

I could just be "chasing zebras" here, but maybe the reason why there's fade outs and why "Something Like A Storm" seems to go kinda nowhere is because all the songs are meant to run into each other and be listened to as an album. And all of us eager beavers getting early release iTunes stuff are just super confused because we jumped the gun and assessed songs individually ...

TL;DR maybe the demo didn't become a song, but a whole album, meant to be listened to in that format.

I've noticed quite a few of the songs on the album (maybe all of them?) end with a fade out. In regards to "Something Like a Storm" fading into another song, "She's Got You Where She Wants You," the track right after, is a lot more upbeat in terms of tempo and sound so I don't really know if it's meant to fade into that. It also has a lot of gated reverb which sounds pretty great and overall it has a kind of 80's feel to it but with that MG style we all know and love.

I've been meaning to write up a review for the album as a whole but just went through a death in the family. Will have something written up before the actual album releases though. It's a great album and I've been listening to it over the last few weeks and I think you're all going to love it.

I've noticed quite a few of the songs on the album (maybe all of them?) end with a fade out. In regards to "Something Like a Storm" fading into another song, "She's Got You Where She Wants You," the track right after, is a lot more upbeat in terms of tempo and sound so I don't really know if it's meant to fade into that. It also has a lot of gated reverb which sounds pretty great and overall it has a kind of 80's feel to it but with that MG style we all know and love.

I've been meaning to write up a review for the album as a whole but just went through a death in the family. Will have something written up before the actual album releases though. It's a great album and I've been listening to it over the last few weeks and I think you're all going to love it.

My condolences Anton! :(

Thanks for the insight. No matter what I've said about fade outs and Something Like a Storm missing something, I'm still pumped about this album. I love the tracks that were released and this 80's sound Matt's been using since BM Revisited.

@andydanger85's theory would have been interesting though.

My condolences.

And ahh well, was worth a mention I thought! :)

It is fantastic nonetheless.

Happy to say I got the email notification saying vinyl has shipped I paid for the express shipping so hopefully I'll have it in my hands Friday and then I can listen to the vinyl on the weekend (along with Mise En Scene because I'm 90% sure I'm coming home with a their vinyl tomorrow night don't tell my wife)

I guess I have to come straight home after work so I don't miss it. Maybe only the people going to the show know what time it starts.

Edited by girl

Just got the record and CD delivered to my work. Bad news is I'm closing tonight. Good news is I get to listen to new Matt Good when I get home. Super excited.

Alright some people got the record already (lucky!!) and here are the lyrics for Something Like a Storm and Days Come Down:

Something Like a Storm

Fall asleep your head on my chest
While my heart beats out a message born
Of something like a storm

Live at night where the nights are long
From town to town and song to song
Feel the faces of strangers worn
Of something like a storm

Hold on as if a chain
That we made against the waves
As if a light where the nights are long
From town to town and home to home
See the walls of neighbors form
Something like a storm

Days Come Down

They buried me

In a suit made of old lighters

And magazines

Mostly pages of Mother Jones

And The Nation

Better Living, bits of patience

Which you'll need

Drove away in the Valiant

My old man that he gave me

Slant six, busted tail light, Ivory Green

When the days come down

And we're laid right out

Catch you catching me

When the days come down

I was interred

In a church without no ceiling

With a bear who was out eating

Watching from the trees

And as I stood upon the waters

Their silhouettes, my daughter

Waving back at me

Well sometimes I get it

What it is I came for 

Like the screaming of your first born

Sounds like singing

When the days come down

And we're laid right out

Catch you catching me

When the days come down

All song are written by Matthew Good except There The First Time, Days Come Down and Bullets in a Briefcase, written by Matthew Good and Warne Livesey.

Edited by Tips

That would be awesome. That is a small crowd. Those people are lucky. Cool. A guy is wearing a Tragically Hip 'Tired As Fuck' shirt. Men At The Door sounds great live.