foats

2017 tour reviews

The problem is Ottawa doesn't have another venue that's the right size but less uptight lol.

But overall, I would have to agree. Ottawa is a more reserved town. Just go to a Sens game. Much quieter than any arena you'll ever experience. It's absurd.

Bronson Centre is the best venue in Ottawa for a concert.  Amazing acoustics too.  Saw Mother Mother and MG there, both amazing shows.  NAC i think has 2-3000 capacity, but Bronson Centre only 900 I believe.  The NAC is a beautiful venue, but just really sucks for a rock concert for all the reasons mentioned.  Same reason why The Grammys suck...elitist nonsense

In 2009 I saw Metallica in Ottawa, Montreal, and Toronto.  People in Ottawa in the 100's were actually sitting.  You don't sit during a Metallica concert.  Montreal (and Quebec City), they go nuts.  Best crowds in USA/Canada from everything I've heard.  French people love to party.  Toronto was somewhere in-between.

I just know that Matt has always loved Ottawa audiences because that's one of the markets where MGB made it big first, and I think the crowds/disposition of the city have a lot to do with it. They may be reserved during the day time, but if you have ever attended a Canada Day celebration, Ottawa throws a pretty wicked party, too!

Canada Day is an awesome party.  I think alcohol also has a lot to do with that too.  Maybe they should force everyone to take a few shots of whiskey before entering the NAC Lol.  I really dislike elitist artsy BS like the NAC attitude.  Same reason the Grammys suck.  Telling rock musicians they should dress up in a suit and tie at the Grammys (or Rock & Roll "Hall of Fame") is very un-rock and roll!  I don't know how wearing a fancy outfit to see an orchestra or ballet at the NAC makes the music sound better.  All it does is suck the fun out of everything.

Bronson Centre is the best venue in Ottawa for a concert.  Amazing acoustics too.  Saw Mother Mother and MG there, both amazing shows.  NAC i think has 2-3000 capacity, but Bronson Centre only 900 I believe.  The NAC is a beautiful venue, but just really sucks for a rock concert for all the reasons mentioned. 

That's the problem though. 900 isn't enough to be properly profitable unless tickets were a lot more expensive. I don't know what the capacity for Algonquin Commons Theatre is, but maybe it would be better. It has a mix of general admission *and* seats. That way everyone gets the vibe they're going for.

Bronson Centre is okay, but I hate the seats in there. They never changed the old school auditorium seating. I saw MG there. Sarah Harmer as well. Didn't mind sitting for MG because it was solo acoustic. Sarah Harmer wanted people to get up and dance but most people just stayed sitting and it's awkward to try and get around people in those narrow aisles.

Bronson Centre is the best venue in Ottawa for a concert.  Amazing acoustics too.  Saw Mother Mother and MG there, both amazing shows.  NAC i think has 2-3000 capacity, but Bronson Centre only 900 I believe. 

Canada Day is an awesome party.  I think alcohol also has a lot to do with that too.  Maybe they should force everyone to take a few shots of whiskey before entering the NAC Lol.  I really dislike elitist artsy BS like the NAC attitude.  Same reason the Grammys suck.  Telling rock musicians they should dress up in a suit and tie at the Grammys (or Rock & Roll "Hall of Fame") is very un-rock and roll!  I don't know how wearing a fancy outfit to see an orchestra or ballet at the NAC makes the music sound better.  All it does is suck the fun out of everything.

I saw Sigur Ros at the Bronson Centre almost 15 years ago -- that place weirded me out because I did not expect it to be a school inside. Truthfully (pre- Google maps), we weren't sure it was even the place, with it being school-like in nature. I had a terrible cold, but I do remember noting that it had great sound.

Yeah, I tend to agree, though I think the kind of show dictates the atmosphere. Just as it is insane to expect people not to try and have a good time, it's also not a Slayer concert. I've been to a lot of MG shows, specifically, where there have been a disproportionate amount of (casual - I'm happy to admit that's slightly presumptuous) fans that think we're all 19 and drinking our first beer. 

Which is why I also agree with this comment: 

... but drunken louts have ruined far more shows than suit jackets and dresses ever could...

Specifically, more solo acoustic Dallas Green shows than you can shake a stick out. In the early days, especially, you'd get all the frat boy Alexisonfire fans (not that their fans are all frat boys, but lots of that demographic seemed to be into them) screaming I WANNA FUCK YOU or MARRY ME DALLAS in between songs about heartbreak or death. A little bit strange...

I agree also, to an extent, with the idea that some people don't want to stand for health (or tiredness) reasons; I feel that venues should maybe consider creating a "no standing" section, perhaps. Danforth Music Hall is like this, and I appreciate that. On the mezzanine and balcony, people tend not to stand up because they specifically selected a seat, as opposed to General Admission on the floor. It's sort of implied, in this environment, that standing up is a faux pas. Maybe an innovation for venues that struggle with the standing up/sitting down conundrum....

Guest jjazz

I agree also, to an extent, with the idea that some people don't want to stand for health (or tiredness) reasons; I feel that venues should maybe consider creating a "no standing" section, perhaps. Danforth Music Hall is like this, and I appreciate that. On the mezzanine and balcony, people tend not to stand up because they specifically selected a seat, as opposed to General Admission on the floor. It's sort of implied, in this environment, that standing up is a faux pas. Maybe an innovation for venues that struggle with the standing up/sitting down conundrum....

DMH is awesome for this. The place has great sightlines everywhere. The balcony is seating only and actually costs more than the GA floor ever though it's further away from the stage. For those that really want to see an act and sit, it's a no hesitation decision to pay a bit more because you have to realize it's a majority standing venue.

Toronto crowds though can be, in a word, lame. Especially arena shows. The only show I've seen at the ACC when everyone stands is coldplay. And those are great. More recently, I've seen, Rush, Bryan Adams, Postal Service, and Muse. Everyone sits. It sucks, and I hate it. If it's upperbowl, it's a different story. You get those seats because they're cheaper, and garner less intensity because of the distance from the stage. But it's a real bummer when ppl go to a show and just sit there like a bump on a log. It's a concert!

I'm also sensitive to those with health and age setting them back. And I also maintain that 2 beers can really enhance your enjoyment at a show. Don't be a dick though.

I see my purple hair! ;)

[i really get a kick out of seeing myself in other people's videos and concert photos. lol. Maybe it's the vanity. I dunno :D]

I totally get it. I don't think it's vanity but, who cares :p

I just realized Strange Days wasn't available publicly (my bad): 

Here are some excerpt of the Montreal show (short because I prefer watching than filming :P)

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLsXR9GD5LDxEgtpkJQ83a2ZlsYs5AcO4l

Same as you - I recorded only short clips from Saskatoon because I prefer watching/experiencing the show. Uploaded them all to my YouTube page but haven't posted links...I suspect people are more interested in full songs. Thx to those who did record and post whole clips! :)

• Upvote 1

Halifax is awesome. Ocean. Celtic music. You can see Theodore Tugboat. It's a good time. Historic sites and such as well. I haven't been in a while but I love Halifax.

It doesn't seem like we have any East Coasters on the Bored though?

Hey don't you guys think the lyric "The Devil's on sugar smacks" is the best part of Hello Time Bomb?  I sure do!  I wonder why he won't sing it whenever he sings that song?  Anyone else notice that? ......... lol

Hey don't you guys think the lyric "The Devil's on sugar smacks" is the best part of Hello Time Bomb?  I sure do!  I wonder why he won't sing it whenever he sings that song?  Anyone else notice that? ......... lol

Doesn't he though?? I feel like I remember singing along to it this time around?? I tried to find a 2017 video for Time Bomb..and did not. But here's CN tour 2015 at Corona, and he does sing the lyric...

Maybe depends on his mood lol. I remember him once saying something about looking back on past lyrics he wrote and being like "what was I thinking" and that was one of the lyrics he was talking about.

Personally, I enjoy that line a lot.

Doesn't he though?? I feel like I remember singing along to it this time around?? I tried to find a 2017 video for Time Bomb..and did not. But here's CN tour 2015 at Corona, and he does sing the lyric...

Maybe depends on his mood lol. I remember him once saying something about looking back on past lyrics he wrote and being like "what was I thinking" and that was one of the lyrics he was talking about.

Personally, I enjoy that line a lot.

He didn't sing it in Sarnia.  

I was just being a smart ass though because I figured he purposely has stopped singing it.  Just trying to joke around.

I used to post quite a bit but stuck to mostly popping on occasionally and lurking. I'm in Halifax though and the show was great!

Anyone else catch the show?

If anyone is wondering, encore was:

A Single Explosion

Born Losers

Apparitions

Weapon

Welcome back!

Guest Idioteque

Every version I've heard, he sings sugar smacks, sometimes muttered out of displeasure.

The one line he never includes which I obnoxiously yell as loud as possible, "The devil's on rollerskates!" oddly enough every show but the Beautiful Midnight tour I went to, no one else would yell it out.

He mocks the shit out of HTB on Massey Hall cd.

Great crowd singalong song though.

Ever since that cease and desist letter from Sugar Smacks....

Ever since that cease and desist letter from Sugar Smacks....

Haha, I actually googled about the transition from sugar smacks to honey smacks back in the day because of that song. Must have been a rainy day after school. Or the dialup connection must have been working fast that day and I took advantage of it.

Guest jjazz

Well it looks like another wrap for another tour. This may have been my favourite tour so far. There are a lot of moments all together in my years of concertgoing to contend with, but the past few shows I saw were good enough to duke it out with the best of them.

I hope Matt and the band enjoyed this one as much as we did. What a cool thing to get to see and hear almost 20 years later. Getting to experience such a classic record front to back, and to finally go to a show where they're playing songs I had never heard live at a premium. So awesome.

Can't wait for the new record. Decades sounds amazing, I love the tone and part of the guitar in the verses. Looking forward to everything. Cheers.

I heard an interview with Matt where he said the record would be released in the fall.

I can see a fall tour that wraps up by Christmas, as he's done in years past.

I really enjoyed this tour's show, and it seemed like Matt did as well.

I hope it's not winter. Fall or hold off till spring. I hate travelling when it's cold. And waiting outside in line to get in when it's cold. And having to pack winter items. Fingers crossed on fall or spring. I feel like maybe fall is a bit unrealistic; would make for a tight timeline and a lot of time away from family in 2017. But I'd be happy to hold out for nice weather in spring 2018 lol