foats

2017 tour reviews

I would pay $100 for that absolutely.   Really quick question did you happen to see what merch is being sold and the prices?  I won't be hitting up a show as I am in the states but I have a buddy on the bored that I am paypaling some $$ to and am curious to prices and if any pics happen to be floating around.  I definitely want to snag the newest jersey if it is being sold.  

Guest Idioteque

Oh yeah, this is for ANYONE seeing Matthew Good this tour. Merchandise is INSANE. So many things, lots & lots of stuff so bring money.

Going off my memory of the stuff I bought last night, might be off by a few bucks.

Jersey $70,

Pins & patch $10

T-Shirts $35

Beanie $25

They have BM vinyl, signed posters, cds, a drumhead signed by all the members. I was going to buy it but they signed it with a dull marker which triggered the collector in me haha.

If we end up going tonight I'll definitely take some merchandise photos for you.

Edited by Idioteque

thank you Tony I would definitely appreciate that. I am interested in the jersey and shirts for sure.  Glad Matt went all out with the merch for this tour!! Also very random but important question.  I know ever since the Vancouver tour for some reason the shirts would always shrink when I washed them. This happens with a few band shirts like weezer and 30 secs to mars also. Has that been the case with anyone else?  Ever since the vancouver tour I have bought shirts one size up and been fine but I have always been curious if it's just me?   

Guest Idioteque

My friends over at Devin Townsend Project also have amazing VIP for $99. This is a great article & I highly recommend anyone read to see the inside perspective of a musician & their fans.

http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/would-you-pay-to-meet-your-favorite-musician-devin-townsend-weighs-in-on-culture-of-v-i-p-packages/

*About MG shirts* His large is like an XL Large & im 5'11-180. Im praaaaying it shrinks.

Guest Idioteque

I haven't missed a MG show in Vancouver in almost a decade & this tour by far has the best light show. Almost a disservice to be close to the stage, best to obsorb it all from a distance.

The new track he's playing during the encore is one of my favorites. I understand what people say about the chorus being underwhelming but if you actually listen to everything thats going on it contains so many layers. Im sure a studio version will do it more justice. Only dislike I have for it is not containing Matt's typical sentence singalongs that repeat.

"Hello time bomb, I'm ready to go off"

"whatever puts me all the way out" etc.

Just needs a squirt of "Anti-Pop" baby!

Edited by Idioteque

Decades has grown on me. I have heard the 2 or 3 versions posted so far and it seems it gets better every time.  Aging like a fine wine.  Tony I agree on the lighting the youtube video for Giant also shows off the kick ass lighting show.   Matt went all out on this tour and the fans are definitely loving it. 

I haven't missed a MG show in Vancouver in almost a decade & this tour by far has the best light show. Almost a disservice to be close to the stage, best to obsorb it all from a distance.

The new track he's playing during the encore is one of my favorites. I understand what people say about the chorus being underwhelming but if you actually listen to everything thats going on it contains so many layers. Im sure a studio version will do it more justice. Only dislike I have for it is not containing Matt's typical sentence singalongs that repeat.

"Hello time bomb, I'm ready to go off"

"whatever puts me all the way out" etc.

Just needs a squirt of "Anti-Pop" baby!

I can't stop listening to the new track. I love it. I've been singing it all day at work. I listened to it three times getting ready this morning.

I'm listening to it *right now*. lol

ooOooOooooo also what's the beanie look like?

Also very random but important question.  I know ever since the Vancouver tour for some reason the shirts would always shrink when I washed them. This happens with a few band shirts like weezer and 30 secs to mars also. Has that been the case with anyone else?  Ever since the vancouver tour I have bought shirts one size up and been fine but I have always been curious if it's just me?   

They definitely shrink. I bought a t-shirt during the Lights of Endangered Species tour. I never wore it before and recently put it in the wash. It is unwearable now because it is too tight. The threads at the bottom of the shirt also came off.

Sorry to hear about your experience Tony. People these days can be mean and rude. I hope this incident won't stop you from attending tonight's show.

Sharon that is exactly what happened with me. My LOES shirts both shrunk to high hell.  The hospital music ones were all fine though as were the solo acoustic ones. I have two from the vancouver tour and they both shrunk to high hell also. 

Guest Idioteque

Maaaaaaaaan I dont want to hear this lol I bought all his shirts last night. Maybe I can exchange them for bigger ones & wash them down to my size.

I will be buried with these tshirts, classic MGB monkey mask designs. Looking at that merchandise wall is probably the closest you'll get to a time machine clocked for 1999.

Sharon that is exactly what happened with me. My LOES shirts both shrunk to high hell.  The hospital music ones were all fine though as were the solo acoustic ones. I have two from the vancouver tour and they both shrunk to high hell also. 

Yup, I'd stay away from the brand name "Tultex fine jersey". The label says it is "Pre-shrunk 100% Ringspun Cotton", but it shrunk even more.

edit: I didn't put it in the dryer. I let it air-dry.

Edited by girl

Tony is right crowd was definitely more rowdy than the night before. In addition to what he mentioned there were two full on fights near me where security had to come drag idiots out. Despite all that I do adore the Commodore as a venue there is such an energy to the MG shows there.

I was originally against the revisions being played live, but ive been enjoying them more with each show.

Setlist have continued to rotate either the single spark version or the decades version. Wondering if police cars might make an appearance tonight.

Vip on Thursday:

Load Me Up

Apparitions

Running For Home

I have a recording ill be posting when I post the show from that night.

Oh and Tony I agree with the beanie being based off BC lions obviously the colour scheme but the layout of the MG and the cats head are the same as the Lions logo

Edited by adam_777

Yup, the cold that's been going around Vancouver has hit me too. I don't think I can stand around too long with drunk people tonight, especially if it's like Friday night's show lol.

E: commodore has no seating at all?

Matt wrote a song about instances just like this and what Tony is experiencing also he will be playing it tonight actually. "lets go out going all the way"      Go out there and have the time of your life listening to one of the best albums ever created being played in full..... and get well soon also!

Anton. There is seating at tables around the venue and with great sightlines too. Just gotta get there at 8 when doors open because they are popular and fill fast. I feel your pain being sick at a show sucks. But the band sounds amazing on this tour I think you'll regret missing it

They definitely shrink. I bought a t-shirt during the Lights of Endangered Species tour. I never wore it before and recently put it in the wash. It is unwearable now because it is too tight. The threads at the bottom of the shirt also came off.

Sorry to hear about your experience Tony. People these days can be mean and rude. I hope this incident won't stop you from attending tonight's show.

My LOES shirts, both the VIP and the one I bought shrunk to hell and also came unspun as you suggest.

Mind you, my Chaotic Neutral D and D shirt is one of my mainstays that I wear once a week. I air dried in the beginning but have dried it since by accident and there are legit no shrinkage or issues. I am hoping the BM merch was produced by this manufacturer.

Edited by andydanger85

Thank you so much. You're such a sweetheart. Hope all is well. I'm not sure if I will be on here much but I intend to check in to read the tour reviews and keep up with everything, as I have missed chatting with all of you guys. I have been away as my husband (still seen in my profile picture, must change that!!) moved to Australia and we are separated now. So I've moved to Vancouver Island and everything is just very stressful and exciting and panic-filled.

Woah, you've have gone through some major life changes since you've last been here. That's nice sage advice you gave in your previous post. I will have to follow that myself. I'm sorry to hear about your separation. You will be in my thoughts, and I will be sending good vibes your way. You're lucky. Vancouver Island would be my dream place to live, being surrounded by all that beautiful nature. I sure love Tofino and Ucluelet. I have fond memories of my visit there. I'm glad to hear you had a nice birthday with your family.

Matt wrote a song about instances just like this and what Tony is experiencing also he will be playing it tonight actually. "lets go out going all the way"      Go out there and have the time of your life listening to one of the best albums ever created being played in full..... and get well soon also!

I didn't notice that before. I love that.

My LOES shirts, both the VIP and the one I bought shrunk to hell and also came unspun as you suggest.

Mind you, my Chaotic Neutral D and D shirt is one of my mainstays that I wear once a week. I air dried in the beginning but have dried it since by accident and there is legit no shrinkage or issues. I am hoping the BM merch was produced by this manufacturer.

Interesting.

Do you, by any chance, have the name of the manufacturer of the Chaotic Neutral D and D shirt? I want to play it safe, just in case I buy a shirt at the merch table. I don't want to repeat past mistakes.

Edited by girl

Woah, you've have gone through some major life changes since you've last been here. That's nice sage advice you gave in your previous post. I will have to follow that myself. I'm sorry to hear about your separation. You will be in my thoughts, and I will be sending good vibes your way. You're lucky. Vancouver Island would be my dream place to live, being surrounded by all that beautiful nature. I sure love Tofino and Ucluelet. I have fond memories of my visit there. I'm glad to hear you had a nice birthday with your family.

I didn't notice that before. I love that.

Interesting.

Do you, by any chance, have the name of the manufacturer of the Chaotic Neutral D and D shirt? I want to play it safe, just in case I buy a shirt at the merch table. I don't want to repeat past mistakes.

I happen to be wearing it today. 

Gildan Softstyle Ringspun

As for your unfortunate after-show snafu....

This doesn't really surprise me.

See I had a strange experience at my last Matt Good Show in Sault Ste Marie back in 2007.  I watched the whole show and it seemed like a good show with no issues. Then afterwards,  I read Matt's blog where he quoted a journalist who was there and was complaining about the show and how horrible the people were.  Matt then mentioned never coming back to play in Sault Ste Marie again.  It was really confusing and kind of a disappointment because everything at the show seemed fine to me and seemed like Matt was just being a dick.  After that, I kind of lost interest in Matt Good's music and music in general due to my own busy life, (Not because of the show), however i have remained a loyal fan and over the last 2 years started listening to his music again because I really liked some of his recent stuff and because of nostalgia.

So I don't really expect anything (as it should be).  I'm just going to enjoy the show.  I have to take holidays and travel 700km to go see it.... but I'm going to enjoy it regardless of what happens darn-it!  (Sarnia!)

Anyone here from Sarnia, I'll see you there!

Edited by Sly Botts

Hey Matt,  

I'll admit I was one of the guys who had hoped to hear the original rendition of Suburbia.  That song meant a great deal to me and it takes me to a certain place.  With that being said I would not endeavour to complain about how you are playing it now.  Art evolves, it's what it does.  I appreciated your comment in Nanaimo the other night about not being itunes and holding the conch.  I think thats about as important a statement on artistic direction as I can come up with.  As the artist you should forever hold that conch in regards to your own music.  I'm glad you've fought to maintain possession of it.  Like you pointed out songs have always been approached from varying perspectives live.  Suburbia is a perfect example, hell in the MGB days it had an extra verse! (two actually that were interchanged)  My favourite band is Led Zeppelin, they sure didn't play their albums note for note, Dazed and Confused stretch to nearly 45 minutes by 1975.  So I can definitely appreciate a different take on something familiar.  I hold your music in such high regard that a change is scary, because if you consider something at or near perfection, pessimistic nature makes you assume a change is for the worse.  I think comments are made reactionary.  Most people online here or social media haven't seen the show yet, they should at least give you and the band the chance to make the statement in person at a show before judging on it.  Thats just my opinion.  

I've seen the first five shows on this tour and really enjoyed them.  I realized when I bought tickets to 11 shows the setlist was going to have minimal changes, that new versions of songs might be played.  I accepted that and optimistically looked forward to how this would all play out live.  Tonight at the soundcheck you played Advertising on Police Cars, which I love and I was excited because I haven't heard it on the tour yet, and I thanked you for it.  But if you had played Apparitions instead, or anything else it would have been alright by me.  I hope alot of the complaints you're coming across aren't putting a damper on how much people actually are appreciating this tour, I've heard nothing but good things from the people who have seen the show so far.  

Also, sorry to hear about your wife, that is I imagine a sobering ordeal and I am glad to hear things have gone at least as good as they could under the circumstances.   

• Upvote 2

No Matt, you have to play it "perfectly"!!!  If you don't make that obscure flutter with your voice on cue during "I Miss New Wave" and if I don't hear that barely audible popping sound during the second verse on "Strange Days" I'm going to demand a refund!   ;)

edit: Hope your wife has a speedy recovery.

Edited by Sly Botts