foats

2017 tour reviews

Here is some video I took from the Wed March 8th Danforth show ...

End of Born to Kill 

Clip from Machine Gun

The end of Born to kill was especially good at this performance. 

All in all, yet another fantastic show. Matt was into the bourbon a little bit, so he was noticeably a bit more loosened up! I also happened to meet Kelly, who I know a few people from the board here know ... I don't believe she is a member, but definitely Bored-adjacent. Very cool experience!

So yeah, I was in front of the bass player whose name escapes me, and he was really great. He has a POG octave pedal on his board, so it really gives the synthy type songs a run for their money compared to how they would have sounded with previous players.

I have a POG on my pedal board, and it's fantastic. The ability to mix dry, sub-octave and octave up sounds together can create some really interesting effects, especially when paired with other pedals, and the polyphonic abilities means you can play chords with it. I absolutely love it. Milos used a Boss OC-2 which only allows for one or two octaves down (or a blend of the two) which can also create some interesting synth like qualities, but because it's not polyphonic, you have to be really clean and precise with your playing because if you accidentally hit an additional note, the tracking gets all screwed up. The POG also handles the lower range of a bass guitar a lot better than the OC-2 does.

All in all, yet another fantastic show. Matt was into the bourbon a little bit, so he was noticeably a bit more loosened up! I also happened to meet Kelly, who I know a few people from the board here know ... I don't believe she is a member, but definitely Bored-adjacent. Very cool experience!

Yeah she's not on the Bored, but she is in the MG Facebook group. Glad you got to meet her! She's awesome! We've been to 5 shows together now. She'll be coming to Montreal as well if anyone is gonna be there!

Edited by emmit643

Hey, can anyone tell me what time everyone went on stage for the Toronto shows? I noticed it says doors at 7 - does that mean opener at 8 and Matt at 9?

Wondering this as well. Any insight from those who have gone to previous Danforth performance?

Edited by Gomo

Yeah she's not on the Bored, but she is in the MG Facebook group. Glad you got to meet her! She's awesome! We've been to 5 shows together now. She'll be coming to Montreal as well if anyone is gonna be there!

I'll be there for Montreal. One week! Going to the show solo so definitely interested in meeting up with anyone else going.

I'll be there for Montreal. One week! Going to the show solo so definitely interested in meeting up with anyone else going.

Awesome! We should definitely meet up for Montreal.

So I'm just getting into Toronto now, for anyone at VIP or the concert tonight that feels like saying hi, I've got purple hair right now! So I'm easy to spot haha.

So quick to the draw! But I second that!

Did you get a set list, or did you go out for drinks with Stu and Blake after the show like last time?

Guest jjazz

My favourite of all 3 shows. The encore was a surprise with single explosion. A welcome addition.

First, I have to say thanks to Emma and Amber (who sometimes frequents here) by letting me hang out with them and putting up with me being behind them all night and repeatedly bumping into them. It was a battle for 2nd row centre all night, and I have emerged victorious.

The band was sounding better than ever, and the crowd was amazing, albeit really annoying where I was situated. But whatever. You take the good with the bad.

Matt joked around on Thursday about the whole crowd facing a wall for one night, and he tried to get us to for Load Me Up. He was semi successful until the song started. I swear some of these tunes he's been playing forever are still getting better. I enjoy them now more than I ever have.

The new highlight tonight was Going All The Way. Matt joked about this tour about playing a show in a Lazy Boy recliner. Instead he played the whole song at the foot of the stage in a folding chair. The whole time. While right in front of me. And if I'm crazy, sure fine, I'm crazy, but that is a special moment reserved forever for me and the first 4 centre rows of people. It was just eerie. I don't know if anyone has a lot of footage of it because it just felt like such a cool personal moment you had to remember without a phone in front of you. I'm so thankful for it.

I had a chance to quickly thank Blake after the show outside, and he seems like a very genuine and friendly guy. Very happy we enjoyed everything.

I'm trying to think of things, but I'm drawing a blank. I was lucky enough to see 3 shows this tour, and I know there are people out there that don't even get to see one. This one is for them, and hopefully it gets released in some way, because I would love to be able to look back on it, and for fans to do the same.

Again, a million thanks to Emma and Amber. I'd met Emma before on the last tour, but it was very brief. We got to chat a bit longer tonight and it was really great.

Also, Failing The Rorschach Test is still killer live. He should never retire it.

I really hope Matt and the band reads this. I hope they can extend it to the crew too. These guys and girls have put on some of the best shows I've ever seen. They're making fans out of casual listeners, and truly giving fans some of the best memories they could ever ask for. Such an amazing job well done. Thank you.

Attached my four best pics from last night. Awesome show and I'm so happy that I flew up to see it. Very memorable. I brought my fiancé and she saw Matt once with me but that was acoustic. This was only the second time seeing him full band for me and I can't belive it was to see Beautiful Midnight!

Also funny to think I was among so many Bored members. I thought Matt and the band sounded great. His guitar cut out for like 15 seconds during one of the early songs (I think Load Me Up?) Also it's awesome when he goes into the crowd I just wish he would have come over once to our side! We were in the second row of people in front on the right (west) side of the venue.

They didn't have any vinyls at merch so I got a pin. Canadian money is so weird to me. Lol.

Briefly how we made this work. Flew in yesterday (day of show) and stayed near King West neighborhood. Walked around the shops on Queen St which was fun. Had Poutini House of Poutine after the show. It was pretty fuckin cold all day but I guess Canadians are used to it. But it reminded me of the coldest days in New York.

Today and tomorrow some sightseeing and return home Monday night. I feel so lucky to have pulled this off. Now can I convince my fiancé to do it again next year!?

Also attached photo of us at the venue after the show ended.

post-612-0-87756200-1489326942_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-04712200-1489326991_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-95212400-1489327015_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-29403500-1489327029_thumb.jpg

Edited by Gomo
  • Upvote 1

Last night's Toronto # 3 of 3 show was being filmed for possible DVD release, Matt joked that he had already fucked up during Giant.  Yes Adam there was a film crew member filming the entire show in the pit.

Easily one of the best MG shows I've ever been to. The crowd was pretty loud, singing through every song, an enthusiastic bunch considering a bit of an older demographic.  Matt was on point, very strong.  Stu was great as always. Blake is amazing, one of the best live drummers I've seen, getting better with age.  He can do the hard stuff like this album just as well as the subtle jazzy stuff from LOES.  New bassist kind of just blended in but did the job. My girlfriend isn't an MG fan (or much of a rock fan) but i dragged her to the show.  She was really impressed by Stu and Blake's musicianship.

Stood beside some separate groups of Americans who drove up for the show.  I didn't have VIP but they did.  They enjoyed the soundcheck experience etc. but said Matt didn't shake hands or sign autograph because he was "a germaphobe". I said not really, & pointed out that it's because he gets sick every tour and has a respiratory ailment.  They said overall the VIP was too expensive for the value they received (also why I didn't buy it).  On top of that, the venue security effed up and started letting in non-VIP members into the show before all the VIP members were let in.

Got a closer look at the monkey mask when they were putting the gear away.  It looks like exactly the same one as this one.  Overall awesome show, so glad I went.

• Upvote 1

Saturdays show is by far the best show I've ever seen. I was down in the pit in the handicapped section due to a nagging knee injury. Cameras were in the pit filming.

My highlights include the epic ending to Born to Kill and the reworked version of Running for Home.

My favourite of all 3 shows. The encore was a surprise with single explosion. A welcome addition.

First, I have to say thanks to Emma and Amber (who sometimes frequents here) by letting me hang out with them and putting up with me being behind them all night and repeatedly bumping into them. It was a battle for 2nd row centre all night, and I have emerged victorious.

The band was sounding better than ever, and the crowd was amazing, albeit really annoying where I was situated. But whatever. You take the good with the bad.

Matt joked around on Thursday about the whole crowd facing a wall for one night, and he tried to get us to for Load Me Up. He was semi successful until the song started. I swear some of these tunes he's been playing forever are still getting better. I enjoy them now more than I ever have.

The new highlight tonight was Going All The Way. Matt joked about this tour about playing a show in a Lazy Boy recliner. Instead he played the whole song at the foot of the stage in a folding chair. The whole time. While right in front of me. And if I'm crazy, sure fine, I'm crazy, but that is a special moment reserved forever for me and the first 4 centre rows of people. It was just eerie. I don't know if anyone has a lot of footage of it because it just felt like such a cool personal moment you had to remember without a phone in front of you. I'm so thankful for it.

I had a chance to quickly thank Blake after the show outside, and he seems like a very genuine and friendly guy. Very happy we enjoyed everything.

I'm trying to think of things, but I'm drawing a blank. I was lucky enough to see 3 shows this tour, and I know there are people out there that don't even get to see one. This one is for them, and hopefully it gets released in some way, because I would love to be able to look back on it, and for fans to do the same.

Again, a million thanks to Emma and Amber. I'd met Emma before on the last tour, but it was very brief. We got to chat a bit longer tonight and it was really great.

Also, Failing The Rorschach Test is still killer live. He should never retire it.

I really hope Matt and the band reads this. I hope they can extend it to the crew too. These guys and girls have put on some of the best shows I've ever seen. They're making fans out of casual listeners, and truly giving fans some of the best memories they could ever ask for. Such an amazing job well done. Thank you.

*unlurks*  So, so happy to have our awesome trifecta with Emma united for the final and best IMO of the Toronto shows this tour!  You can lean on my back anytime in the pit, good sir.

I couldn't agree with your post more in so many ways.  Rorschach is one of my favourites and it was a highlight all 3 nights.  Just so full of punch and energy.  I feel a lot of these songs that haven't been played in years had a great deal of life in them and could use more time in regular rotation.  Here's hoping this tour will inspire Matt to change up a few of the mainstays. 

Last night was pure magic in every way for me.  Front row, dead centre (with the frostbite to show for it!) and everything was just so on.  Blake, Peter, Stu, Matt - it all clicked together just so.  And perhaps it was because of the filming, things shook up in a way that we really were at the best seats in the house.  Suburbia, Going All The Way and the beginning of Running For Home were all sung straight to our faces.  I agree Jesse, it felt like Going All The Way was this intense, intimate focus on those of us in those first few rows.  I felt like I was being sung to eye-to-eye. 

This tour is so special for me.  Beautiful Midnight is so special for me in so many ways.  It was my first MGB album I owned (I'd heard MGB and even seen them prior, but it was the beginning of my love affair).  My estranged (at the time) father lent it to me, since the only thing we could talk about anymore was music, so it was this gift from him, like he knew how much I would love it too.  But beyond that, BM came out at a time I was going through a lot of intense, dark things, struggling and sleepless.  The lowest I've ever been.  It literally saved my life, kept me going.

Having never seen the BM tour, finally hearing some of these songs that mean so much live... it's intense.  It's joyful catharsis.  I'm never going to forget Running For Home being sung to my face as I cried.  In those dark years, I'd close my eyes and listen to it and it felt like a song just for me.  Last night, it felt that way again, in a good way.  Like Jesse, it didn't feel right for me to film it, view it through a lens.  I just enjoyed every moment.

Apparently I gushed so much about how emotional the tour's been that my husband bought me a ticket for Oshawa, so if you see a girl in blue eyeshadow (BM represent!) who's misty during half the songs, say hi! 

(I will try and lurk less LOL)

(And if Matt or the guys lurk by, I really hope that video gets released.  Remember what you said Wednesday about flaws in live performances making it real - we promise not to freeze a DVD and tell you where you messed up.  We'll just enjoy the art.)

• Upvote 1

I was at the VIP on Sat. It was just too cold. The show was just amazing. I for some reason just got floored by the intensity of Failing the Rorschach Test at the sound check and I never really recovered. 

The whole experience was extremely surreal in that I totally got dragged back to the 90's. It was just so crazy resonant and powerful I that I felt drunk with it all some how. 

This all sounds so crazy and hyperbolic but it was a really weird (but awesome) experience for me! I'm so thankful I got to be there even if I did feel like a crazed teenager again!