foats

2017 tour reviews

I've been seeing Matt tour since 1998. Have probably seen him play 20 times. My favourite shows are still the WLRRR shows, but damn.. this came pretty close. Hearing BM from top to bottom brought me back to a time in my life, and hearing so many of those songs for the first time live.... incredible. 

I was mostly disappointed with the last couple of tours. Seemed to be phoning it in. Short sets, minimal crowd interaction.

But you can tell now Matt's really enjoying himself again, like on the acoustic tours.. he's just having a blast. I think revisiting a lot of the older material and seeing the crowds reaction song after song has been invigorating. BM just flows so perfectly start to finish. Really grateful to have to seen it live fully... never thought I would.

Now if only he'd do Underdogs... or Audio of Being *drool*

I've been seeing Matt tour since 1998. Have probably seen him play 20 times. My favourite shows are still the WLRRR shows, but damn.. this came pretty close. Hearing BM from top to bottom brought me back to a time in my life, and hearing so many of those songs for the first time live.... incredible. 

I was mostly disappointed with the last couple of tours. Seemed to be phoning it in. Short sets, minimal crowd interaction.

But you can tell now Matt's really enjoying himself again, like on the acoustic tours.. he's just having a blast. I think revisiting a lot of the older material and seeing the crowds reaction song after song has been invigorating. BM just flows so perfectly start to finish. Really grateful to have to seen it live fully... never thought I would.

I completely agree. 

Glad to read this.  At the start of the tour I was talking with another forum member and he mentioned Matt seemed almost angry, at the very least not very happy in the videos.  I said that I felt something was being lost in the translation from the show itself to the individual video clips on youtube, because it felt the exact opposite at the shows.  I think Beautiful Midnight requires a certain headspace to perform.  I don't think you can think of cute kittens and family holidays and deliver a searing performance of A Boy and His Machine Gun.  I think that whole album is best played whilst in a certain mood.  At the Vancouver shows, it was easily the least crowd interaction I had seen Matt have with a Vancouver audience, but it was some of the best shows I've seen him play because the intensity just didn't let up.  At no time did I feel Matt wasn't enjoying what he was doing, or appreciate the audience reaction to it.  He seemed to be taking playing this songs with an exceptional degree of seriousness, as though he was saddled with the burden of expectations.  You could visibly see the sweat pouring off of him at these shows as he did everything he could to deliver on these songs held by so many in such high regard.  I'm just blown away by his approach and very glad that others are feeling the same way about the way the material is being performed.  

I'm even more glad to hear that one of the shows was filmed for a possible release.  I think with all the energy and effort that he and the band have been putting into these shows, it would be awesome to see in professional video quality over and over again.  I know Matt said he wouldn't film because it didn't represent a full cross section of his career.  I can only hope he had a change of heart on that, and maybe someday he may consider filming another show that does provide that cross section as well.  

• Upvote 1

Glad to read this.  At the start of the tour I was talking with another forum member and he mentioned Matt seemed almost angry, at the very least not very happy in the videos.  I said that I felt something was being lost in the translation from the show itself to the individual video clips on youtube, because it felt the exact opposite at the shows.  I think Beautiful Midnight requires a certain headspace to perform.  I don't think you can think of cute kittens and family holidays and deliver a searing performance of A Boy and His Machine Gun.  I think that whole album is best played whilst in a certain mood.  At the Vancouver shows, it was easily the least crowd interaction I had seen Matt have with a Vancouver audience, but it was some of the best shows I've seen him play because the intensity just didn't let up.  At no time did I feel Matt wasn't enjoying what he was doing, or appreciate the audience reaction to it.  He seemed to be taking playing this songs with an exceptional degree of seriousness, as though he was saddled with the burden of expectations.  You could visibly see the sweat pouring off of him at these shows as he did everything he could to deliver on these songs held by so many in such high regard.  I'm just blown away by his approach and very glad that others are feeling the same way about the way the material is being performed.  

I agree completely with this, with that headspace.  I do suspect Stu's copious bourbon supply for Matt as the tour's progressed has been to help him relax and keep the intensity while freeing him to banter more.  Striking a balance.  I never felt he was angry or unhappy at any of the shows I've seen this tour.  Definitely intense and focused. 

I haven't been disappointed by recent tours, aside from maybe Arrows.  That one did feel a bit... lacking in energy somehow.  Something was off there and I could never put my finger on it.  But CN was a blast - that may have been luck of the draw in Toronto, with Holly showing up and decent crowds.  I really think Army of Lions gave him a shot of energy because it always got the crowd going. 

I always blamed the declining stage banter on the audiences honestly.  The NSPB show was amazing because Matt just cut loose and did whatever and the audience was all for it.  But even this tour, there are people grumbling when he banters, "play music, enough of this".  I remember a lot of that in early solo tours and I think Matt just got tired of people yelling Rico and demanding MGB hits.  The audience will always be a mix of diehards who have followed his entire career and enjoy the complete body of his work, and the more casual fans who love the radio hits.  It's tough to make the two happy all the time.  Maybe shutting up and playing the set straight through has been his solution.  But I'm very happy bantering, DGAF Matt is back.

• Upvote 1

I don't really want to read that deeply into the way Matthew Good "looks" or "seems" on stage or in old videos. I also certainly can't comment on past crowds, although I was expecting it to be more ruckus on Saturday night I guess. Seemed a little tamer to me, as someone who has heard about rowdy crowds at his shows for years from people on The Bored. But anyway, I don't know what my crowd observation tells me in regards to Matt's demeanor. I just know I had a great time.

Did you get a set list, or did you go out for drinks with Stu and Blake after the show like last time?

Alas, not this time! But two shows to go!

My favourite of all 3 shows. The encore was a surprise with single explosion. A welcome addition.

First, I have to say thanks to Emma and Amber (who sometimes frequents here) by letting me hang out with them and putting up with me being behind them all night and repeatedly bumping into them. It was a battle for 2nd row centre all night, and I have emerged victorious.

The band was sounding better than ever, and the crowd was amazing, albeit really annoying where I was situated. But whatever. You take the good with the bad.

Matt joked around on Thursday about the whole crowd facing a wall for one night, and he tried to get us to for Load Me Up. He was semi successful until the song started. I swear some of these tunes he's been playing forever are still getting better. I enjoy them now more than I ever have.

The new highlight tonight was Going All The Way. Matt joked about this tour about playing a show in a Lazy Boy recliner. Instead he played the whole song at the foot of the stage in a folding chair. The whole time. While right in front of me. And if I'm crazy, sure fine, I'm crazy, but that is a special moment reserved forever for me and the first 4 centre rows of people. It was just eerie. I don't know if anyone has a lot of footage of it because it just felt like such a cool personal moment you had to remember without a phone in front of you. I'm so thankful for it.

I had a chance to quickly thank Blake after the show outside, and he seems like a very genuine and friendly guy. Very happy we enjoyed everything.

I'm trying to think of things, but I'm drawing a blank. I was lucky enough to see 3 shows this tour, and I know there are people out there that don't even get to see one. This one is for them, and hopefully it gets released in some way, because I would love to be able to look back on it, and for fans to do the same.

Again, a million thanks to Emma and Amber. I'd met Emma before on the last tour, but it was very brief. We got to chat a bit longer tonight and it was really great.

Also, Failing The Rorschach Test is still killer live. He should never retire it.

I really hope Matt and the band reads this. I hope they can extend it to the crew too. These guys and girls have put on some of the best shows I've ever seen. They're making fans out of casual listeners, and truly giving fans some of the best memories they could ever ask for. Such an amazing job well done. Thank you.

:D

Show was filmed? Were their cameras down in the front pit?

Indeed it was. And if it does get released I feel like I'll probably show up in it a few times lol.

*unlurks*  So, so happy to have our awesome trifecta with Emma united for the final and best IMO of the Toronto shows this tour!  You can lean on my back anytime in the pit, good sir.

Last night was pure magic in every way for me.  Front row, dead centre (with the frostbite to show for it!) and everything was just so on.  Blake, Peter, Stu, Matt - it all clicked together just so.  And perhaps it was because of the filming, things shook up in a way that we really were at the best seats in the house.  Suburbia, Going All The Way and the beginning of Running For Home were all sung straight to our faces.  I agree Jesse, it felt like Going All The Way was this intense, intimate focus on those of us in those first few rows.  I felt like I was being sung to eye-to-eye. 

This tour is so special for me.  Beautiful Midnight is so special for me in so many ways.  It was my first MGB album I owned (I'd heard MGB and even seen them prior, but it was the beginning of my love affair).  My estranged (at the time) father lent it to me, since the only thing we could talk about anymore was music, so it was this gift from him, like he knew how much I would love it too.  But beyond that, BM came out at a time I was going through a lot of intense, dark things, struggling and sleepless.  The lowest I've ever been.  It literally saved my life, kept me going.

:D

So I wanted to wait until I got back home and had time to sit down and really think about what I wanted to say.

So first off, even though comparatively to CN, I don't think the VIP was *as good* this year, the early entrance to the venue and basically guarantee of front row will make it worth it for me every single time.

As Amber said, we were front row dead centre. The show experience is so different, in my opinion, when you're right up front for it all. Needless to say, we were absolutely spoiled throughout the show, with the exception of Let's Get It On when Matt goes out into the crowd, (and ends up in the middle back somewhere) any other time he left the mic stand/stage/sat down he was literally right in front of us. It was a strange/eerie serenity/calmness when Matt did Going All the Way from the chair, which I don't know if that would resonate the same with audience members if they were't right up at the front.

I only stopped to take a couple photos here and there, cause it just meant so much more to really be in the moment and experience the album/show. 

Going into the show I thought I might get a bit emotional. It didn't happen at the moments I thought it might though. I thought maybe Strange Days or Suburbia is what would've done me in. However, it was actually A Boy and His Machine gun. I can't properly in words describe what I felt/experienced. I definitely cried. If this show gets released on DVD maybe you will all get to see me cry lol. 

Experiencing this album live, start to finish was almost like a spiritual experience. It made me think a lot; it made me feel a lot. For me, like for many of us, Beautiful Midnight was a really important record and also very formative to me as a person. It was the first MG record I was exposed to. My appreciation for it back then is very different from my appreciation for it now. I was 8 when it came out. (I've previously mentioned that I Miss New Wave taught me the pronunciation for Coquitlam). Back then it was more thoughts of "oh I like this music" but as I got older more of an appreciation for what he was actually saying in the lyrics and connecting it with my own life. (At dinner with Amber I also mentioned that when I was 8 I was confused by the lyric [or what I thought was the lyric lolol] "drown in a hot tub, fill it with marbles". I was like I don't know why he'd want a whole hot tub of marbles. But I guess you could drown in it. Matt's a weird dude. lol) Hearing the album straight through really had me reflect on where I was when I first heard it, how I've changed and where I am now. I also thought about Matt, and how far he's come. It was all very surreal.

This show currently takes the place for my favourite MG show to date. By far. What I saw. What I heard. What I felt. All of it.

On top of all this, the band was beyond on point. Sounded tight. It was great.

It was great to see Amber and Jesse again as well.

All around, an unforgettable time.

• Upvote 2

I don't really want to read that deeply into the way Matthew Good "looks" or "seems" on stage or in old videos. I also certainly can't comment on past crowds, although I was expecting it to be more ruckus on Saturday night I guess. Seemed a little tamer to me, as someone who has heard about rowdy crowds at his shows for years from people on The Bored. But anyway, I don't know what my crowd observation tells me in regards to Matt's demeanor. I just know I had a great time.

We are getting old! :) - many people have their kids to get home to - if they haven't brought them along - and as fun as the crowds were during the early days (when I was in my early 20's) when you are pushing 40 getting dropped on a rail or being kicked in the head is not fun. 

Here's hoping some of the older stuff sticks around - Failing the Rorschach Test and Born to Kill - thats the stuff! How many times has one screamed along to those songs in their cars over the years...and Running for Home could just stick around forever :)

The nostalgia is strong on this tour - remembering being 20 again feels great - and seems to be good for ticket sales and the merch business - always love the new records - I would guess most of us who go out to the shows on the regular wouldn't have problems with some of the deeper cuts being played...I get that Matt has to keep people happy with the hits...but his established fan base these days...most of us know and love all of it...another acoustic tour some day with Matt diving deep would be amazing...because as much as we would all love to see Audio of Being happen....I just don't think that is realistic...then again...Donnie Moscow is president so I suppose anything is possible...

• Upvote 2

Going into the show I thought I might get a bit emotional. It didn't happen at the moments I thought it might though. I thought maybe Strange Days or Suburbia is what would've done me in. However, it was actually A Boy and His Machine gun. I can't properly in words describe what I felt/experienced. I definitely cried. If this show gets released on DVD maybe you will all get to see me cry lol. 

Experiencing this album live, start to finish was almost like a spiritual experience. It made me think a lot; it made me feel a lot. For me, like for many of us, Beautiful Midnight was a really important record and also very formative to me as a person. It was the first MG record I was exposed to. My appreciation for it back then is very different from my appreciation for it now. I was 8 when it came out. (I've previously mentioned that I Miss New Wave taught me the pronunciation for Coquitlam). Back then it was more thoughts of "oh I like this music" but as I got older more of an appreciation for what he was actually saying in the lyrics and connecting it with my own life. (At dinner with Amber I also mentioned that when I was 8 I was confused by the lyric [or what I thought was the lyric lolol] "drown in a hot tub, fill it with marbles". I was like I don't know why he'd want a whole hot tub of marbles. But I guess you could drown in it. Matt's a weird dude. lol) Hearing the album straight through really had me reflect on where I was when I first heard it, how I've changed and where I am now. I also thought about Matt, and how far he's come. It was all very surreal.

This show currently takes the place for my favourite MG show to date. By far. What I saw. What I heard. What I felt. All of it.

So, I have to say that this happened to me as well. When I was at my first show in Hamilton, seeing a few of the songs that haven't really been played since the old days made me very emotional. I was immediately brought back to the thoughts, sounds and smells of those days when I first heard these songs and it was amazing on several levels. It was an emotional "high", that's for sure.

I've been seeing Matt tour since 1998. Have probably seen him play 20 times. My favourite shows are still the WLRRR shows, but damn.. this came pretty close.

Been a diehard fan since Underdogs but my first show was 2007 on the acoustic Hospital Music tour.  Amazing show.  I've probably seen 9 or 10 shows since then.  Saturday's Toronto show was the best show I've seen since that 2007 acoustic show, and the best one with the full band.  Beautiful Midnight isn't even one of my favorite MG/MGB albums, I would personally rank Audio of Being, Avalanche, LOES, and LOTGA above it.

There was something about the electricity in crowd though at this show, and maybe the band fed off that too?  I've never seen an MG crowd so into the music, or the band play so well.  I'm usually disappointed at how lame the MG crowds are.

Edited by Moonlight_Graham

One of my favorite MG shows was a solo acoustic show at club cafe in Pittsburgh. Maybe 20 people tops. I had a table seat with nobody in front of me and Matt was singing like 8 ft from me.  Was a great show and setlist.  Ended up meeting Matt on the bus after.  Sadly he hasn't been to Pittsburgh since.  The radio stations here did no promotion at all which lead to the small crowd. 

Long time lurker, first time poster. I've even been hanging around since the Metro/Nation of Cool/Massage Board days.

I was at the show in Picton last night and thought I'd post just for completeness on reporting all the shows.

I've been a Matthew Good/MGB fan since 1998, so last night was a real treat. I think my last time seeing Matt was on the WLR&RR tour.

The Beautiful Midnight songs were fantastic. I got a huge wave of emotions when the chant started at the beginning of Giant. It really took me back to a different place. I was front row, almost in the centre and I was afraid of all the lights showing that I teared up a few times.

It's been said before, but hearing some of the deeper album songs like Failing The Rorschach Test and a Boy and His Machine Gun was something else. My favourites moments were hearing Jenni's Song and The Future is X-Rated again.

Banter was good and the band was tight. I can see why Stu is a fan favourite. Great musician and his comments were funny. There were some loud goons in the crowd who were shouting at Matt and I think it might have pissed him off a little. Someone was saying something about his SG being a metal guitar and egged the band into playing some Pantera or Slayer or something, which was a little funny but kind of broke up the album experience a bit.

I live in Toronto now but I grew up out here, and it's kind of a redneck town.

So, Matt, if you read this and the crowd threw you off: Please come back to Prince Edward County someday in the summer with your family and enjoy the wine, the beaches, and the (generally) easy going people. I promise it's a nice place.

I guess the vinyl selection hadn't been restocked because all they had at the merch table was CD copies of the EP.

We got two encore songs: Apparitions and Weapon.

I had an amazing time at the show and I'm grateful that the time and effort was put into revisiting this album that means so much to so many people.

Long time lurker, first time poster. I've even been hanging around since the Metro/Nation of Cool/Massage Board days.

Seeing the show on Saturday brought back the Massage Board days, some.  Strange, strange times-- I mean, the politics of it? The MGB LF board? Monkeys Wars? It's weird to think any of that stuff even happened.

Seeing the show on Saturday brought back the Massage Board days, some. Strange, strange times-- I mean, the politics of it? The MGB LF board? Monkeys Wars? It's weird to think any of that stuff even happened.

I know, right. It all seems like two lifetimes have gone by since.

I remember the big undertaking to try to transcribe the lyrics to the extra verse to Suburbia, and I think eventually Matt himself posted them. I can't even remember my own username but I think his was a Blade Runner reference. JF Sebastian, or something.

Wow. That was a long, long time ago.

Edited by its alright

Yeah, I remember him using the JF Sebastian handle. Ryan McNutt did a writeup some years ago that touched on that era a little.  He said something to the effect of "we were all sharing this kind of insanity. We don't talk to each other anymore, now that we're sane."

That feels about right.

Pics please!!

For sure! Here's one from Toronto on my insta that I thought was pretty decent https://www.instagram.com/p/BRhpotIhQys/?taken-by=greysierra

I did take too many there, since 1) it was being filmed and 2) my spot was so primo/I felt so in the moment I just wanted to take it all in. 

But for this show, and for Montreal I will probably snap a few pics. Although I'm front row on Peter's side for this show, so I dunno if I'll have the best pic angle. We'll see!

For anyone who can't get to a show, I think I'm gonna Instagram Live a bit of the encore? Maybe something from the main set. The first show was for me, but this time I'll totally share lol.

I'm @greysierra if you want to catch the Instagram live.

We are getting old! :) - many people have their kids to get home to - if they haven't brought them along - and as fun as the crowds were during the early days (when I was in my early 20's) when you are pushing 40 getting dropped on a rail or being kicked in the head is not fun. 

Here's hoping some of the older stuff sticks around - Failing the Rorschach Test and Born to Kill - thats the stuff! How many times has one screamed along to those songs in their cars over the years...and Running for Home could just stick around forever :)

The nostalgia is strong on this tour - remembering being 20 again feels great - and seems to be good for ticket sales and the merch business - always love the new records - I would guess most of us who go out to the shows on the regular wouldn't have problems with some of the deeper cuts being played...I get that Matt has to keep people happy with the hits...but his established fan base these days...most of us know and love all of it...another acoustic tour some day with Matt diving deep would be amazing...because as much as we would all love to see Audio of Being happen....I just don't think that is realistic...then again...Donnie Moscow is president so I suppose anything is possible...

Me, my body creaks more than usual so I rock a little less hard in body (still thrashing at heart \m/>_<\m/ )

I would love an acoustic tour again, since I missed all his acoustic dates before.  Every damn time, I was literally out of the country seeing Tori Amos.  So frustrating!  The CN VIP was fantastic because it let Matt play songs he really likes to play, while not having to stress with a band pulling them together.  Plus some of the newer songs would sound awesome in acoustic form (a brooding, creepy-slow Girls In Black?).

I'm always going to sing marbles  now thanks to you :lol:  In the best possible way.

This tour's going to be the tour where everybody cried.  I thought Strange Days was going to be where it started for these shows too, but maybe because I've heard it live multiple times, I was alright?  Failing the Rorschach Test was where it started all 3 nights for me.  But Running For Home was when it went from misty eyes to full tilt tears streaming.  I think I caught the camera guy filming me cry during that one so god help all of us if they include that! 

I'm so excited for Oshawa tomorrow.  I thought I was done and then husband decided I was so, so happy seeing this tour that he wanted me to do one more. Bonus: now I'm at a round 25 shows, in the smallest venue I've ever seen him at.

Now, maybe this keys-free Running For Home will inspire him to revive Change of Season? *dreams so, so big*

• Upvote 1

So tonight was pretty good. The show itself was great. No Decades in the encore though (*sad face*) They also swapped out Advertising on Police Cars, which was originally on the set list, for Born Losers instead.

My biggest qualm with the NAC was nobody stood up. Like nobody. I was literally the only one in the dang front row who stood up. (Briefly a really drunk lady and the man with her did, but then they sat down). Matt pointed it out too. That everyone was sitting. And said you know, there are sitting songs, and standing songs. Matt and Stu joked about needing one of those "Applause" signs but for sit/stand, but Matt said they would just fuck with everyone too much lol. (Although this whole some songs are sitting songs forced me to question whether he wanted me standing the whole time...like was I supposed to sit down?? I dunno.)

I didn't waste any time waiting for other people to stand up at the NAC cause it just ain't happening. I was over on Peter's side and stood up as soon as they were walking out for Giant. Stu tried to get his side to stand but they did not. It is what it is. Personally it feels weird to me to just sit there and stare at a stage from seated but whatever floats your boat I guess.

A lottttt of yelling. Rico. Big City Life. Rico. Oh Be Joyful. More Rico. so pointless. so annoying. lol. Sometimes I think it's people trying to show off that they know his catalogue or something. Like seriously. You have nothing to prove. Be quiet lol.

There were some kids in the audience, so that was cool. When Matt came into the crowd for Let's Get It On he sang to/near one of the little guys, put his hand on his head, rested on him etc lol. It was cool to see a kid there cause that's when I had my first show too, real young. Kid must have cool parents.

I really enjoyed the banter.

Matt joked about covering Lady in Red. He talked about how cats will eat you if you die.

He also said that outside of BC, Ottawa was there first place to recognize his music. So that was really cool to learn. He was saying they'd be touring all around and playing to audiences of like 15, but then come to Ottawa and play to 500. [side note, there were actually a lot of empty balcony seats tonight which is too bad]. He talked a bit about college radio and how it's pretty much dead now. Some guys from CKCU were in the audience though so we clapped for Carleton and keeping college radio alive lol.

Matt also mentioned that another thing he loves about Ottawa is that you can get shawarma at 3am, and that he did last night lol. Which is true; Ottawa is shawarma central for sure.

At the end of the show, I asked for Peter's setlist, since it was right by where I was standing. Some guy tried to climb on stage and steal it, so of course the polite person (meeeee!) got it. (I'm telling you, it pays to be polite). Peter's setlist was pink. lol. I don't know if it was on purpose or they ran out of white paper or what. No idea. But I like it!

Met someone from the Facebook group after the show. He recognized me. I went to the Atomic Rooster for open mic afterwards as well and spotted someone in a MG shirt. I asked if he was at the show, and he was. So met another MG fan which was cool. Then I played my own MG inspired set before moseying on home. I work at 6am so maybe I should't be writing this now, but I just figured I'd do it while it's fresh.

And in two days, I will do it all again in Montreal!

Edited by emmit643
  • Upvote 3

Craig has a great voice and definitely uses the looper well IMO.

He cracks me up when he introduces his songs though. He explains what the song is about, but then basically repeats the title. lol so like this next song is called Second Chance about a time in my life where I got a second chance. This song is called Books at the Library. It's about how inside libraries they have books. Etc etc lol

But I have enjoyed his sets.

And his cover of Bobcaygeon is great. He actually live stream his entire set from the NAC on Instagram last night.

Craig has a great voice and definitely uses the looper well IMO.

He cracks me up when he introduces his songs though. He explains what the song is about, but then basically repeats the title. lol so like this next song is called Second Chance about a time in my life where I got a second chance. This song is called Books at the Library. It's about how inside libraries they have books. Etc etc lol

But I have enjoyed his sets.

And his cover of Bobcaygeon is great. He actually live stream his entire set from the NAC on Instagram last night.

I really like Craig- fantastic voice!! Love his looper too. Caught some of his live stream and that was fun.  I would go to a show of his for sure!