adam_777

Thoughts on "Bootlegging"

So calgary has large screens showing multi angle feeds of the show. Never seen that at a MG show. Anyone know someone working for the venue to tell them to hit record and mail me a copy ;)

Edited by adam_777

I've only ever made one successful bootleg. It was Matt's one-off acoustic show at Joe's Pub in NYC a couple of years ago. I think I shared it on the NF Lounge once. I used to film more videos for Youtube during his shows but at some point I decided I just didn't want to go to the trouble anymore and I would just enjoy the shows in the moment. The Joe's Pub show was unique in that I had a seat right near the stage (the venue was weird as fuck. Matt even commented that he felt like he was a stripper on stage) and I could position my Zoom Mic in such a way that it was not in the way and not noticeable.

But thanks to anyone else who goes to the trouble of recording bootlegs!

Edited by Gomo

I believe foats is on to something, the way Tony and his girlfriend were treated and how you were singled out are probably more to do with the venue staff than anything.  The comment Tips found from 2003 about MG's thought on taping is useful but unless the venue is told about those wishes each time an artist comes through the staff will enforce their own policies.  

After hearing about the intimidation/scare tactics used on him by security in Vancouver, I'm not going to lie, I was a little nervous. I wrote the comment Tips found from 2003 on a piece of paper and kept it handy, just in case. Great find by the way, Tips! Luckily no security hassled me, or maybe I'm getting better at concealing my gear. Edmonton and Calgary security did check inside our bags at the door, with their little flashlights, though.

Edited by girl

Successfully got Saskatoon and Winnipeg. Should be up in about a week. Other than that one night in Vancouver, had no further issues. Pretty awesome coverage from the three of us out West. I believe Kelowna was the only western show to not have at least some recording made of it. Hope everyone out East enjoys the shows. Wish I could have carried on!

Adam, I visited Vancouver in 2012 to do some photo and video of Our Lady Peace at the Commodore. I had permission to do so from OLP's management, as well as the band themselves. However, myself and their touring videographer/photographer, and my friend Josh had to sign a legal agreement from Live Nation in regards to what we could record, and what we could do with the recordings and photographs. The Commodore is owned by Live Nation, so they ultimately have the final say. You did the best thing by complying with security, and hopefully that didn't detract from your experience.

Indeed, a huge grey area in the practice. I haven't "stealth" recorded anyone in a few years now. I have found it much better to seek out permission to record and go from there. I have been able to get better positions, and better recordings because of this. Unfortunately, there are too many people who are out to record and sell, and that is a universal case of one bad apple spoiling the bunch. Additionally, some artists just don't want terrible recordings of them out there floating around. Bands are sometimes weird and guarded about their performances.

My stance on the recordings I've made and shared of OLP has always been this, I do it with the intent to give people who might not otherwise be able to enjoy them live for financial, or geographical, or other restricting circumstances, the ability to do so. Like you, it's done for no gain to myself. In fact, it has always been at a financial loss. If that's the spirit that all tapers are going in it with, the world of taping will be much better off. As someone who would have to travel a lot of distance to see Matt, I really appreciate you and Sean getting out and recording these shows and sharing them.

Successfully got Saskatoon and Winnipeg. Should be up in about a week. Other than that one night in Vancouver, had no further issues. Pretty awesome coverage from the three of us out West. I believe Kelowna was the only western show to not have at least some recording made of it. Hope everyone out East enjoys the shows. Wish I could have carried on!

Nice! Looking forward to them!

For those wondering I did still tape about half the show...and because I taped the VIP I do have a recording of Advertising on Police Cars.  

He didn't play Advertising at the Edmonton show.  Have you posted it anywhere?

So many people were recording in Edmonton.  Security had no problem with it at all.

I have a bunch of concerts from the early/mid 2000s on my ipod.  I listen to them all the time.  I can't even remember where I downloaded them.  The audio format is .flac

Adam, maybe these are your recordings??

Edited by patrickjnixon

I never got why anyone ever frowns on bootlegging, even venues.  Bootlegging Hollywood movies still in theater yeah I see the issue, but even if you get a quality bootlegged concert you can't bootleg the energy of the band or the crowd or the pro live sound quality, or the feeling of a gazillion watts of bass shaking your chest.  The whole point of paying for a concert ticket is to experience it live.  I've tried cheering at youtube for another encore, it never works.

• Upvote 4