mrjason

Interest in a book form of matt's posts scraped from web archive?

I've scraped matt's journals from 1999-2007 from web archive (the "Way way back machine", or whatever). With a bit of code this evening, I've converted the journals into one long html / pdf with the intention of reading the content on my kindle. 

To say Matt's prolifically creative is a massive understatement. The PDF is 775 8.5"x11" pages, multiply that by 150% for kindle pages. It'll be a very long read.

I can convert it to kindle epub format fairly easily too. 

Is there any interest in having this in the downloads section of this forum? I'm happy to provide the source files as well, though the conversion code is a complete mess. 

I feel like this is something we'd want matt's blessing on distributing, even if it were in the downloads area of the forums, right?

The PDF is 65 MB, if that'll matter for including it in the downloads section. The kindle file will be around the same size. 

Edited by mrjason

I realized in reading the first bit of it that many of the entries from the pre-2001 period are in his book. I'll redact those and put a note in them about them being available in the book, with a link to the book.

Btw here's the book if you haven't heard of it:

https://www.amazon.com/Last-There-Nothing-Left-Say/dp/189466308X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1488313575&sr=8-1&keywords=matthew+good+nothing+say

Also, there are more than 1,000 entries / chapters. Some of them are one-liner jokes, but not many.

I realized in reading the first bit of it that many of the entries from the pre-2001 period are in his book. I'll redact those and put a note in them about them being available in the book, with a link to the book.

Btw here's the book if you haven't heard of it:

https://www.amazon.com/Last-There-Nothing-Left-Say/dp/189466308X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1488313575&sr=8-1&keywords=matthew+good+nothing+say

Also, there are more than 1,000 entries / chapters. Some of them are one-liner jokes, but not many.

Yeah, I was going to mention this earlier, but you are including Avalanche and onward blogs as well - which is not in book form :) Thanks for doing this!

Did the link get pulled, here?  I'm a little confused.

No. I didn't put a link up yet. In reading it I noticed my code isn't catching/correcting special characters like the "ï" in "naïve", so it displays as random garbage on the kindle. I need to fix those before I kick the link out. I also need to filter the entries that were included in his published book.

I've read about 1/4 of the book over the past month and that vast majority of his 2005-2006 entries are about the "war on terror" in Iraq and Afghanistan, of course, and it's been a haunting thing to read those now a decade later with the same war/propaganda cycle repeating itself as always, this time around with ISIS or whatever. 

Guest Idioteque

Does anyone have the extremely old/rare sort of Eulogy style blog Matt did when he talked about his anxiety overseas & flying back over to Canada, then ultimately his memory about his overdose at his parents?

I remember it being super long & from his old website.

You may have been the last one to give it to me Girl, just looking for something to read. Thanks.