adam_777

Last Day On Tour

Well I'm down to the last of the eleven shows ive set out to see. After Winnipeg it'll be pack up time and back to reality. I say reality because the past sixteen days have been a sort of fantasy. Ive always wanted to travel following a bands tour. In the past it seemed implausible, but this tour just worked out. Ticket prices are affordable enough and luckily I have friends in many of the touring cities I could stay with.

Some of the highlights have been getting to meet so many different people (including several on these forums) and getting to experience different fan bases and venues. Its great to see how many dedicated fans Matt still has out there.

The shows as well have been incredible. Seeing so many shows its interesting to see the difference in performances from a night where things seem a little off to one where everything is on fire. The standard for each show is high, but some shows just have a magic to them. The two things that have really knocked my socks off are how strong Matts vocals are and how Stu is able to do so much to fill up the sound even compensating for other non present instruments.

Hearing Beautiful Midnight played in sequence like this is a mesmerizing experience. Its something I never dreamed would happen, but I had always kept some money saved in case it did. After ten shows you'd think I'd be used to hearing those songs by now, but they're still special. Every time those opening notes for Running For Home are played I get chills. I expect Winnipeg will be no different.

Its been just a surreal journey and I hope my recordings have helped those of you who are unable to experience the shows in person feel like youre able to experience the magic to some degree. If I have one selfish wish it'd be to hear Avalanche in Winnipeg just as icing on the cake. Although I suspect that song is probably being worked up for the Toronto shows. Anyways to Matt and the band and everyone else ive met on this tour thanks for an unforgettable experience.

Edited by adam_777
  • Upvote 2

Thanks for the comments.

Im hoping to go to the VIP in Winnipeg but I had held off buying tickets because I wasn't sure when I'd arrive. Now ive been trying to buy one and the website wont allow me to. I thought it might be sold out but the hamilton page specifically states sold out the Winnipeg does not. So I guess I cant attend? Ill just show up at three I guess and see if they'll let me pay cash. Doubtful but worth a shot

Been able to listen to a few more shows in detail you recorded Adam, and I really enjoyed them.  Had some long work days and cold nights in February, was cool to come here and get a taste of the tour from you.  Glad it was a fun experience too for you.

Been able to listen to a few more shows in detail you recorded Adam, and I really enjoyed them.  Had some long work days and cold nights in February, was cool to come here and get a taste of the tour from you.  Glad it was a fun experience too for you.

thanks, it was definitely an experience.  I'm glad I was able to record many of the shows I went to, and that other tapers here were able to give me a couple nights of not having to smuggle in my gear! Six weeks on what really stood out as interesting was watching how the songs evolved in subtle ways as the tour progressed. Off the top of my head there is a little fill Stu does during Running For Home before the start of the second verse.  If you listen to the first few shows, he didn't do this, but by the later shows he was obviously more comfortable playing the material live and was started to develop little bits in his style.  Also, it was kinda funny with that song because I don't think I ever heard Matt sing the Running For Home lyrics identical to the album, the lines "I close my eyes now and I scream I turn the light on and there's nothing left redeeming" and "I close my mouth now and I scream I open the door and there's nothing left redeeming" would get double repeated sometimes, or a hybrid of the two.  At the earlier shows he would always sing the I open the door part during the first verse and then at one show he did sing the I turn the light on bit in the first verse, but then repeated it in the second haha.  So it was always fun to see what version of that line we were getting each night.  

Also seeing the differences in the crowd town to town is really interesting too and just little things that occur because of that.  For instance in Vancouver in New Wave during the "Gonna die in Coquitlam" line a huge roar went up at one of the shows and a pretty good roar at the other two, but obviously in Alberta, Saskatchewan and Manitoba they would care less about a Coquitlam name drop so not a sound was made.  Certain songs seem to get a bigger reaction too.  And the crowd requests.  I've mentioned it before, but the fans yelling specifically for Rico in Alberta was like an epidemic.  In BC lots of things are requested, but probably the most common request I hear for a rarity is Symbolistic White Walls, but in Alberta at the three shows I attended it was over the top predominately requests for Rico I was hearing, which is something I rarely if ever hear in BC.  So I just find those differences to be really interesting.   

Edited by adam_777

Funny, I've only been to one show in BC, and the guy next to me requested Symbolistic White Walls (loudly) so many times I thought I was going to have to ask him to please stop. Then Matt noodled around for a bit to find his bearings and played it with a cigarette dangling out his mouth. I still don't quite understand how that's possible, yet there we have it. Damn what a fine show that was.

thanks, it was definitely an experience.  I'm glad I was able to record many of the shows I went to, and that other tapers here were able to give me a couple nights of not having to smuggle in my gear! Six weeks on what really stood out as interesting was watching how the songs evolved in subtle ways as the tour progressed. Off the top of my head there is a little fill Stu does during Running For Home before the start of the second verse.  If you listen to the first few shows, he didn't do this, but by the later shows he was obviously more comfortable playing the material live and was started to develop little bits in his style.  Also, it was kinda funny with that song because I don't think I ever heard Matt sing the Running For Home lyrics identical to the album, the lines "I close my eyes now and I scream I turn the light on and there's nothing left redeeming" and "I close my mouth now and I scream I open the door and there's nothing left redeeming" would get double repeated sometimes, or a hybrid of the two.  At the earlier shows he would always sing the I open the door part during the first verse and then at one show he did sing the I turn the light on bit in the first verse, but then repeated it in the second haha.  So it was always fun to see what version of that line we were getting each night.  

Also seeing the differences in the crowd town to town is really interesting too and just little things that occur because of that.  For instance in Vancouver in New Wave during the "Gonna die in Coquitlam" line a huge roar went up at one of the shows and a pretty good roar at the other two, but obviously in Alberta, Saskatchewan and Manitoba they would care less about a Coquitlam name drop so not a sound was made.  Certain songs seem to get a bigger reaction too.  And the crowd requests.  I've mentioned it before, but the fans yelling specifically for Rico in Alberta was like an epidemic.  In BC lots of things are requested, but probably the most common request I hear for a rarity is Symbolistic White Walls, but in Alberta at the three shows I attended it was over the top predominately requests for Rico I was hearing, which is something I rarely if ever hear in BC.  So I just find those differences to be really interesting.   

Thanks for that Adam.