Crusader

Summer 2017 shows

I was thinking about maybe going to Calgary or Niagra Falls if Matt doesn't play locally this summer - yeah, funny, he won't be supporting MO in Vancouver!

Would anyone recommend things to do in Calgary? I have been to Drumheller and had an absolute ball. Is the zoo any good?

The zoo is actually world class. It has a heavy focus on conservation (they have a whole compound outside the city that isn't public where they do some great things). Ideally zoos wouldn't be necessary or a thing at all, but as far as zoos go it's quite good.

There's also lots of good hikes just outside of town if that's your thing. If I had to knock the town on one thing it's that the nightlife is almost non-existent. The city sprawls quite badly, so the downtown empties in the evenings.

Guest girl

Would anyone recommend things to do in Calgary? I have been to Drumheller and had an absolute ball. Is the zoo any good?

I haven't been to the zoo since I was young, but someone recently told me that the penguins are worth seeing at the zoo. Lake Louise and Banff are nice places to visit too.

A free show in Niagara Falls is definitely tempting. It's still a 7 hour drive from my home in Pennsylvania, so I will probably sit this one out. It seems like Niagara Falls or Hamilton is going to be the closest shows he plays any more. Have fun to everyone going.

Me too. I might be going to the concert at CedarCreek Estate Winery.

YEESSSS!  Get in there and record those acoustic gems!  These acoustic winery shows are almost as exclusive as that one time people were invited over to a living room in Vegas (I think) to hear MG strum the guitar.  That may have been related to something with Earnhardt Jr. but get to that winery and report back.   

I planned a trip to Kelowna next month but will be showing up a few days after the concert.  Not that I could have gone to the show anyway with tickets being sold out so good on you for being able to get in there.

YEESSSS!  Get in there and record those acoustic gems!  These acoustic winery shows are almost as exclusive as that one time people were invited over to a living room in Vegas (I think) to hear MG strum the guitar.  That may have been related to something with Earnhardt Jr. but get to that winery and report back.  

... or that acoustic show when people were invited to his condo living room in Vancouver, prior to moving out. I had the opportunity to enter that contest, which was very short notice, but I wasn't spontaneous back then. I'll try not let this opportunity slip though my fingers like last time. I'll do my best, gursky!

I plan on securing tickets for the CedarCreek Estate Winery show tomorrow. Does anyone have any updates on how close the fires are burning towards Kelowna? Is there any possibility that this concert won't go ahead due to the BC forest fires? We would be coming in from Calgary; therefore, we would also need hotel reservations and various travel expenses. Does anyone have info on the likelihood of this concert going ahead? Thanks in advance.

I have family in the area and they've said it's very hazy but there's no real danger just yet. Hopefully the worst case scenario is you miss out on the awesome view! For god sake bring water. Bring so much water. 

What are you up to in Kelowna, Sean? Checking out the wineries? Tell me to butt out if you want. I'm just nosy. :0)

This trip is just a simple few day getaway at a fancy hotel (Sparkling Hills).  We spent a few weeks in the Okanagan area back in 2013 and kept busy with wineries then and we will definitely visit some new ones this time around. Our favorites continue to be a little further south in the Black Sage area but we'll challenge ourselves to discover new favorites around Kelowna :).  Relaxing, enjoying the sights and spending an afternoon biking on the Myra trestles will probably take up the rest of our short time there.  

That is good to know. Thanks for the info, guys. I really appreciate it.

Yeah, it's hard to believe the majority of the BC fires were started by humans. I will take a chance on it, this one time.

I hope you are enjoying life in theSooke/Langford area of Vancouver Island, Marcy. I imagine it is a beautiful place to live. You're lucky.

russic, thanks for posting that winery picture last year. That piqued my interest in the first place. That is what I envisioned as my dream concert venue... never thought it would happen.  If you didn't post that, I wouldn't be going.

I have family in the area and they've said it's very hazy but there's no real danger just yet.

It's weird. It's very hazy in Calgary today too. I can't see the blue sky at all; it's grey and hazy. It smells a little like campfire too.

I heard good things about that five star hotel (Sparkling Hills). I know a person who was married there. There were Swarovski crystals everywhere. I will have to visit there someday. Have fun.

Edited by girl

I feel like he's been pretty consistent with the tours after the album releases, so I'm hopeful for a fall tour. That being said it's got to be a tough balancing act with 3 kids, so maybe he'll change it up one of these days. 

Guest Idioteque

I figured the Midnight Oil shows are warmup dates for him & his band to maybe learn everything, fingers crossed for fall though.