It was so weird to hear about this when I woke up this morning.  It's still hard to believe.

Such a talented voice, and one of the underrated voices of the grunge scene.  I hope the rumours of how it happened aren't true.  

• Upvote 1

Guest Idioteque

First thing I said when my dad told me was "Why?". I had a similar reaction to Robin Williams, like most people did. It's the unexpected ones that hurt the most, if you asked me yesterday "wouldn't the world kind of feel a little smaller without Cornell?" I'd say of course!

Well we should wait for the police investigation to know whether it was actually a suicide or not. But if it is, it's always surprising and somewhat disarming when something like this happens. There aren't always signs (especially for the public). 

Guest Idioteque

I swear, grunge has a low life expectancy. Maybe we turn this into a tribute for him while we wait for more information. Lets share our favorite tunes?

This song is kind of new, but still is my #1 favorite Cornell song, because even with his huge discography, Chris can still make surprising art that you'd expect from some child prodigy. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C1TvJarzQyw

I thought about that (grunge having a low life expectancy). But when you think about it, the people in grunge bands generally looked very unhappy (including those who are still alive today).

Not only that but I've heard Billy Corgan talk about how the ideals they stood for died and how "the nerds won". Maybe that feeling is shared throughout those people?

Guest Idioteque

Hopefully they can dig into the cause, mental illness or otherwise. I have this massive Soundgarden boxset that's going to be played on repeat for the next month. 

I say this not as a cruel joke but in 100% honesty. My favorite soundgarden song was always "pretty noose"   I will never be able to hear the song again.  Such an amazing talent. He also had a foundation for homeless, abused, and neglected children as well that he ran with his wife.  Very sad day in music.  It's odd that Eddie Vedder, Jerry Cantrell, Billy ,and Dave Grohl are really the only grunge legends left.    I just wish that people felt they had someone to talk to instead of taking their own life.  Life is hard especially in 2017 but trust me when I say it can't rain all the time.

• Upvote 1

I'm genuinely gutted by this. It's hard to put into words. Without Chris Cornell I would never have heard of Matthew Good; I checked him out after a recommendation on a Cornell fan forum. Hell, in a way I'm in a Matthew Good music video thanks to Chris Cornell!

This is tragic. He was so talented. Soundgarden really influenced me when I was younger and Audioslave were awesome too. Rest in peace Chris,

And his solo work, too. Such a gift to music and the planet. So sad. I can understand suicidal feelings and have been there many times, but you never truly know the depth of pain another person is going through. With creativity comes sensitivity and anxiety and overwhelming emotions, I have found.

I wonder what Corgan meant by "the nerds won'? He can be very cryptic.

I can't find the bloody quote but from what I could understand he was saying he was part of a generation that wanted to change the world but with the Internet and so on the nerds won over the world.